Start by marking “More Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #2)” as Want to Read:
More Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #2)

More Dykes to Watch Out For (Dykes to Watch Out For #2)

Second collection from one of dykedom's national treasures, zeroing in on slices of everyday lesbian life.
Published December 1st 1988 by Firebrand Books (first published June 1988)

To ask other readers questions about More Dykes to Watch Out For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Dykes to Watch Out For

Anthony Vacca
Jan 15, 2015 Anthony Vacca rated it really liked it
As nice as the first volume was, More Dykes is a very welcome improvement, ditching the Sunday Funnies format of one-shots (and also the abecedarian catalogue of lesbians) for a lengthy serialized story featuring Mo, a neurotic woman on the verge of emotional, psychological and several other forms of breakdowns if she doesn't get a job and get laid fast! Bless Bechdel for being both socially conscious and humanely sensitive, but also for being irreverent and not afraid of capitalizing on the hum ...more
Strawny
Aug 05, 2008 Strawny rated it it was amazing
My daughter bought this whole series and now I'm addicted. It's like the Archies of Lesbian culture. Now I am going to need a TV series to keep it going because I'm about to read the last one!
Chris
May 05, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-strips
I haven't read nearly as much of Bechdel's long running comic strip (think of it as a queer "Doonesbury") as I would like; I bought two volumes of the series when I was the advisor for a LGBT alliance at Walton, and they both promptly disapeared. Not that I minded terribly, as I'm sure they found their way into the hands of teens who needed them more than I did.

Anyway, the characters are perfect, the emotions pitch-perfect, at times funny, sad, and always true. Bechdel has done much more than c
Julie Rylie
Sep 29, 2014 Julie Rylie rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics
So I started the collection of Dykes to watch out for directly from the 6th Chapter or something, which was quite dumb from me. In my defense I didn't know it was a part of this collection because in German they always have another titles and I am only renting what is available in the Library.

But it was nice to see, here in NR. 2 how Mo met her last girlfriend, how Clarisse and Tony met each other, that Mo was actually dating Clarisse before, etc.
Matt
Sep 13, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it
For those of us who have read the Essential Dykes to Watch Out For, this is great because there are some great extended stories, like an unrequited crush at martial arts camp, and the first night together with Harriet and Mo.
Bey Raines
Sep 23, 2014 Bey Raines rated it it was amazing
I love these characters. The artwork and the writing are great, and the storylines are very realistic, sometimes funny, sometimes sad, but always engaging.
Kevin
Jan 18, 2011 Kevin rated it really liked it
The self-contained strips not bound to a plot are funny and in many ways wittier than the continuing stories with Mo. However, Mo's adventures are compelling to read to witness the development of the characters, and they also show a more fully realised view of lesbian lifestyles. Bechdel manages, with varying success, to still contribute witty observations of the earlier comic strips through using specific characters as conduits. Still fantastic and witty nonetheless, and an educational time cap ...more
Dec 03, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013, comix
This was fine. It did get a little more interesting once she introduced recurring characters and plots, but I still didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I like her graphic novels.

I think it's weirdly problematic for me that they crammed the strips onto little pages for these books. The drawings look like they've been wedged onto the page with a crowbar, so the strips seem uglier and harder to read than they probably should. I think that was subliminally causing me to enjoy them less.
Jimyanni
Mar 17, 2011 Jimyanni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
This book is a collection of cartoons showing an iside look at the lives of a group of lesbians in the late 1980s; the artwork is realistic and well-done, the characters are realistically unique even as they represent different "personality types" common in the lesbian community, and the humor is gentle. The situations are frequently poignant and strike me as quite honest and true.
Conrad
May 05, 2007 Conrad rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Bechdel's characters are witty, varied, and self-conscious. (The affectionate jabs at feminist bookstores in here are worth the price of admission.) This book is where the series really gets going, and it's probably the best place to start, too, since the characters age over time, and More Dykes To Watch Out For catches them when they're all still a little naive.
Jul 22, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Halfway through this book you will find the beginning of the Dykes to Watch Out for series. The story focuses on Mo and her search for a girlfriend. Plenty of political commentary and humor are interspersed among insightful depictions of lesbian relationships. If you haven't read any of the DTWOF books though, here is where you start!
Andrew Wildman
Apr 05, 2013 Andrew Wildman rated it it was amazing
I have read this so often it is starting to crumble. I love this series SO much. I have grown up with it, starting them when I was in my twenties. I feel the characters are my friends in a way, so familiar are they. The art work is so mesmerizing you quickly lose track of reality and are sucked into the narrative.
Michelle
More Dykes is similar to the first collection, but starts to introduce some recurring characters. It's still lighthearted but also conscious of debates over radical versus assimilationist lifestyles, and the impact of daily homophobia. The open discussion of AIDS must have been really groundbreaking!
Amris
Sep 08, 2015 Amris rated it liked it
Shelves: queer-lit
I enjoyed this collection more than the first because the comics (finally) started to focus on reoccurring characters and evolving, continuous plot lines. I'm not a fan of some of the political humor, but I like a lot of the characters.
Robert
Jan 29, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe I read of this book in the Utne Reader. Once upon a time I read that rag. I am not certain why I would have ordered this, but I did. I found the book to be hilarious just as I did the first one. Funny stuff.
Imogen
Sep 08, 2008 Imogen rated it it was amazing
Aww, this was only fine until the epilogue, which was one of the sweetest sex scenes I've ever read. It made my tough, icy heart go all squishy. Five stars! Five predictably, queerly, gay-ass little pink stars.
Sep 07, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, humor
After reading Fun Home, I will read anything Alison Bechdel makes, so when I saw this for $2 I pounced on it. It reads smoothly and is totally endearing. I'm ready for more.
HeavyReader
Jul 06, 2007 HeavyReader rated it liked it
This is yet another Dykes to Watch Out For (or as cool people write DWOF) collection that I know I read, but I don't remember very clearly.
Liz
Apr 08, 2008 Liz added it
bechdel is pretty amazing.
Solentiname
Dec 01, 2012 Solentiname rated it did not like it
Not my cup of tea
Carolyn Beck
Carolyn Beck marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
Daliah
Daliah marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Piotr Kowal
Piotr Kowal marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Ziggy
Ziggy rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
Goddess
Goddess rated it it was amazing
Mallika Mahidhar
Mallika Mahidhar marked it as to-read
Devang Thakkar
Devang Thakkar rated it it was amazing
BB
BB rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
  • The Road To Hell
  • The Boondocks: Fresh for '01...You Suckas
  • Down the Street
  • An Emergence of Green
  • The Case of the Good-for-Nothing Girlfriend (Nancy Clue & Cherry Aimless, #2)
  • Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2)
  • The Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius 1
  • No Straight Lines: Four Decades of Queer Comics
21982
Alison Bechdel is an American cartoonist. Originally best known for the long-running comic strip Dykes To Watch Out For, in 2006 she became a best-selling and critically acclaimed author with her graphic memoir Fun Home.
More about Alison Bechdel...

Dykes to Watch Out For (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #1)
  • New, Improved! Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #3)
  • Dykes to Watch Out For: The Sequel (DtWOF, #4)
  • Spawn of Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #5)
  • Unnatural Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #6)
  • Hot, Throbbing Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #7)
  • Split-Level Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #8)
  • Post Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #9)
  • Dykes and Sundry Other Carbon-Based Life Forms to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #10)
  • Invasion of the Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #11)