Start by marking “Moon-Flash (Kyreol, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Moon-Flash (Kyreol, #1-2)

Moon-Flash (Kyreol Duology #1-2)

This omnibus edition combines the acclaimed Patricia A. McKillip's two science-fiction novels, Moon-Flash and The Moon and the Face.

Kyreol's small world begins at the Face, a high rock cliff, and ends at Fourteen Falls, a series of rapids. Each year, her people celebrate Moon-Flash—a spark of light that seems to come from and go into the moon, a symbol of life and joy. Wh
Published March 17th 2005 by Firebird (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Moon-Flash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon-Flash

Kristi Thompson
Mar 17, 2009 Kristi Thompson rated it liked it
I thought Fool's Run was McKillip's only science fiction, but apparently not. I also thought I'd read this at some point when I was younger, but if I did, I have no memory of it at all, not the slightest sense of deja-vu.

Not nearly as obscure and allusive as her later fantasies. I really enjoyed it, so perhaps I haven't really lost my ear for McKillip. Perhaps simpler because it was a Young Adult, but mostly I think her stylistic characteristics were not at that time exaggerated.

One thing that s
Leslie Jonsson
Jun 27, 2012 Leslie Jonsson rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. I love the two main characters. They are believable, sweet, smart and funny.
Kelley Ceccato
Jun 22, 2015 Kelley Ceccato rated it really liked it
Shelves: heroines-i-like
Kathryn
Dec 08, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this, but I'm dumbfounded that it was actually two books to begin with! This slim volume had a definite story arc, characters that were interesting and sympathetic, and McKillip's signature ability to give you enough depth and back-story to make a vibrant world, but not quite enough to satiate roused curiosity.

The reason this review isn't five stars is that there wasn't much going on besides the main plot; McKillip usually has two or three characters who are each going t
Stefanie
Apr 03, 2015 Stefanie rated it liked it
Shelves: sff
Probably a 3.5. I liked the first book better than the second, it had more of a narrative thrust to it. Still, they both bring a nice blend between the "magic" of primitive societies and the science and possibility of advanced, space exploring societies. Kyreol is more likeable (maybe because she has more to do) in the first one, but Terje makes up for it in the second with having the real conflict in the choices he has to make.

This was SUCH a sharp contrast with the book McKillip wrote and publ
Maureen E
Sep 29, 2008 Maureen E rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, young-adult
A sci-fi ish two book series by Patricia McKillip. Interesting but probably not my favorite books by her. [Dec. 2008]

-----

This is a single book containing Moon-Flash and The Moon and the Face. I thought I had only read the first one, but it turned out that I had read the second as well! It’s a fascinating concept, which I can say nothing about because I will ruin the whole thing! [June 2010]
Karl
Oct 16, 2012 Karl rated it really liked it
This book, comprising two slim novels, is a departure for Patricia McKillip: science fiction rather than high fantasy. I loved the book although the modernist cover threw me off a bit and at times the story was a little predictable. The joy of the book, however, came from walking a beautiful prose path with heartfelt characters.
Beth Matthews
Nov 29, 2014 Beth Matthews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent story from Patricia McKillip

Wonderful story of how far your dreams can take you -- even if it brings you back home. I love reading her books. They always take me to another world.
Jan 30, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2011
I read the first book in this duology back when it was new and remember enjoying it. I just re-read and found it as good as I remembered. Good main characters, a coming-of-age, a journey (or two or three), and twists and turns.
Amanda
Aug 06, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it
Two novels in one. The first, Moon Flash, is great. What if there was a world that was a living museum? A novel idea and well executed.

The second story, The Moon Has a Face didn't measure up, but was readable.
Wynne
Mar 05, 2008 Wynne rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-ish
Read my review here.
Tara
Oct 03, 2009 Tara rated it it was amazing
Another book that I probably would have given 4 stars to the first time I read it, but then when I re-read it some yrs later, with its sequel, I enjoyed it more.
Melissa
Dec 11, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
Ok I know these books look so weird, but I love the Author so I gave them a chance and ended up really liking them! This is the sequel to The moon and the face. They are very Scifi. For older teens.
Brent Johnson
Brent Johnson rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Kassi
Kassi rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2008
Honore
Honore rated it really liked it
May 15, 2009
Octavio Ortega sanabria
Octavio Ortega sanabria rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2013
Sue Blaikie
Sue Blaikie rated it it was ok
Sep 15, 2013
Kaby
Kaby rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2008
Jessi Kissinger
Jessi Kissinger rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2013
Katherine
Katherine rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Tari
Tari rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2009
Lucinda Langley
Lucinda Langley rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Mely
Mely rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2011
Aurora Morales
Aurora Morales rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2013
S
S rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Diane Chen
Diane Chen rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2008
Simeon Berry
Simeon Berry rated it did not like it
Jul 02, 2007
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Line Between
  • The Mark of the Cat
  • Everard's Ride
  • Catalyst
  • Darkness, I (Blood Opera Sequence, #3)
  • Imaginary Lands
  • A Wind in Cairo
  • An Alien Light
  • The Necessary Beggar
  • Goblin Moon
  • The Flight of Mavin Manyshaped (The Chronicles of Mavin Manyshaped, #2)
  • Cloud and Ashes: Three Winter's Tales
  • Starfarers
  • Fires of the Faithful (Eliana's Song, #1)
  • Midsummer Night (Aetherial Tales, #2)
  • Elemental Magic (Moon #6.5; Rai-Kirah #0.5 )
Patricia Anne McKillip is an American author of fantasy and science fiction novels, distinguished by lyrical, delicate prose and careful attention to detail and characterization. She is a past winner of the World Fantasy Award and Locus Award, and she lives in Oregon. Most of her recent novels have cover paintings by Kinuko Y. Craft. She is married to David Lunde, a poet.

According to Fantasy Book
More about Patricia A. McKillip...

Kyreol Duology (2 books)
  • Moon-Flash (Kyreol, #1)
  • The Moon and the Face (Kyreol, #2)