Moon-Flash (Kyreol Duology, #1-2)

Moon-Flash (Kyreol Duology, #1-2)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Kyreol's small world begins at the Face, a high rock cliff, and ends at Fourteen Falls, a series of rapids. Each year, her people celebrate Moon-Flash-a spark of light that seems to come from and go into the moon, a symbol of life and joy. When a mysterious stranger arrives, Kyreol wants to know more about him, as well as the Moon-Flash, and soon she and her childhood frie...more
Published March 17th 2005 by Firebird (first published 1984)

Kristi Thompson
I thought Fool's Run was McKillip's only science fiction, but apparently not. I also thought I'd read this at some point when I was younger, but if I did, I have no memory of it at all, not the slightest sense of deja-vu.

Not nearly as obscure and allusive as her later fantasies. I really enjoyed it, so perhaps I haven't really lost my ear for McKillip. Perhaps simpler because it was a Young Adult, but mostly I think her stylistic characteristics were not at that time exaggerated.

One thing that s...more
Leslie Jonsson
This is a great book. I love the two main characters. They are believable, sweet, smart and funny.
Kathryn
I really enjoyed reading this, but I'm dumbfounded that it was actually two books to begin with! This slim volume had a definite story arc, characters that were interesting and sympathetic, and McKillip's signature ability to give you enough depth and back-story to make a vibrant world, but not quite enough to satiate roused curiosity.

The reason this review isn't five stars is that there wasn't much going on besides the main plot; McKillip usually has two or three characters who are each going t...more
Maureen E
A sci-fi ish two book series by Patricia McKillip. Interesting but probably not my favorite books by her. [Dec. 2008]

-----

This is a single book containing Moon-Flash and The Moon and the Face. I thought I had only read the first one, but it turned out that I had read the second as well! It’s a fascinating concept, which I can say nothing about because I will ruin the whole thing! [June 2010]
Karl
This book, comprising two slim novels, is a departure for Patricia McKillip: science fiction rather than high fantasy. I loved the book although the modernist cover threw me off a bit and at times the story was a little predictable. The joy of the book, however, came from walking a beautiful prose path with heartfelt characters.
I read the first book in this duology back when it was new and remember enjoying it. I just re-read and found it as good as I remembered. Good main characters, a coming-of-age, a journey (or two or three), and twists and turns.
Amanda
Two novels in one. The first, Moon Flash, is great. What if there was a world that was a living museum? A novel idea and well executed.

The second story, The Moon Has a Face didn't measure up, but was readable.
Melissa
Ok I know these books look so weird, but I love the Author so I gave them a chance and ended up really liking them! This is the sequel to The moon and the face. They are very Scifi. For older teens.
Tara
Another book that I probably would have given 4 stars to the first time I read it, but then when I re-read it some yrs later, with its sequel, I enjoyed it more.
Wynne
Read my review here.
Amy
This is my kind of science fiction. Loved it.
Baobhan
Baobhan marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Manon
Manon added it
Apr 04, 2014
De
De marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Maria Stromberg
Maria Stromberg marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 22, 2014
Coyora Dokusho
Coyora Dokusho marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
K
K marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Lisa Morrow
Lisa Morrow marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Ronna
Ronna marked it as to-read
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Tayla36
Tayla36 marked it as to-read
  • The Folk of the Air
  • Necromancer Nine (Land of the True Game, #2)
  • The Stone Fey
  • An Alien Light
  • The Dubious Hills
  • The Tower Room (Egerton Hall, #1)
  • Space Opera
  • Strangers in Paradise, Volume 3: It's A Good Life
  • Thresholds (Magic Next Door, #1)
  • Dragonslayer's Return (Spearwielder's Tale, #3)
  • The Dreaming Tree (Arafel, #1-2)
  • Midsummer Night (Aetherial Tales, #2)
  • Thomas the Rhymer
  • Bypass Gemini
  • Karavans (Karavans, #1)
  • Brightness Falls from the Air
  • Up Against It
Patricia Anne McKillip is an American author of fantasy and science fiction novels, distinguished by lyrical, delicate prose and careful attention to detail and characterization. She is a past winner of the World Fantasy Award and Locus Award, and she lives in Oregon. Most of her recent novels have cover paintings by Kinuko Y. Craft. She is married to David Lunde, a poet.

According to Fantasy Book...more
More about Patricia A. McKillip...
Riddle-Master: The Complete Trilogy (Riddle-Master, #1-3) The Forgotten Beasts of Eld The Riddle-Master of Hed (Riddle-Master, #1) Winter Rose (Winter Rose, #1) Heir of Sea and Fire (Riddle-Master, #2)