Start by marking “Moon-Flash (Kyreol Duology, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Moon-Flash (Kyreol Duology, #1-2)

Moon-Flash (Kyreol Duology #1-2)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This omnibus edition combines the acclaimed Patricia A. McKillip's two science-fiction novels, Moon-Flash and The Moon and the Face.

Kyreol's small world begins at the Face, a high rock cliff, and ends at Fourteen Falls, a series of rapids. Each year, her people celebrate Moon-Flash—a spark of light that seems to come from and go into the moon, a symbol of life and joy. Wh
Published March 17th 2005 by Firebird (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Moon-Flash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon-Flash

Kristi Thompson
I thought Fool's Run was McKillip's only science fiction, but apparently not. I also thought I'd read this at some point when I was younger, but if I did, I have no memory of it at all, not the slightest sense of deja-vu.

Not nearly as obscure and allusive as her later fantasies. I really enjoyed it, so perhaps I haven't really lost my ear for McKillip. Perhaps simpler because it was a Young Adult, but mostly I think her stylistic characteristics were not at that time exaggerated.

One thing that s
Leslie Jonsson
This is a great book. I love the two main characters. They are believable, sweet, smart and funny.
Kathryn
I really enjoyed reading this, but I'm dumbfounded that it was actually two books to begin with! This slim volume had a definite story arc, characters that were interesting and sympathetic, and McKillip's signature ability to give you enough depth and back-story to make a vibrant world, but not quite enough to satiate roused curiosity.

The reason this review isn't five stars is that there wasn't much going on besides the main plot; McKillip usually has two or three characters who are each going t
Beth Matthews
Another excellent story from Patricia McKillip

Wonderful story of how far your dreams can take you -- even if it brings you back home. I love reading her books. They always take me to another world.
Maureen E
A sci-fi ish two book series by Patricia McKillip. Interesting but probably not my favorite books by her. [Dec. 2008]

-----

This is a single book containing Moon-Flash and The Moon and the Face. I thought I had only read the first one, but it turned out that I had read the second as well! It’s a fascinating concept, which I can say nothing about because I will ruin the whole thing! [June 2010]
Karl
This book, comprising two slim novels, is a departure for Patricia McKillip: science fiction rather than high fantasy. I loved the book although the modernist cover threw me off a bit and at times the story was a little predictable. The joy of the book, however, came from walking a beautiful prose path with heartfelt characters.
I read the first book in this duology back when it was new and remember enjoying it. I just re-read and found it as good as I remembered. Good main characters, a coming-of-age, a journey (or two or three), and twists and turns.
Amanda
Two novels in one. The first, Moon Flash, is great. What if there was a world that was a living museum? A novel idea and well executed.

The second story, The Moon Has a Face didn't measure up, but was readable.
Melissa
Ok I know these books look so weird, but I love the Author so I gave them a chance and ended up really liking them! This is the sequel to The moon and the face. They are very Scifi. For older teens.
Tara
Another book that I probably would have given 4 stars to the first time I read it, but then when I re-read it some yrs later, with its sequel, I enjoyed it more.
Wynne
Read my review here.
Amy
This is my kind of science fiction. Loved it.
YVE
YVE marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Cyndy
Cyndy marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Shamsi Meta Ruhe
Shamsi Meta Ruhe marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Diamond
Diamond marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Alyssa Watson
Alyssa Watson marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Isao
Isao marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Catherine Mcguire
Catherine Mcguire marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Fox
Fox added it
Oct 03, 2014
  • Everard's Ride
  • The Mark of the Cat
  • Shadow Magic (Lyra, #1)
  • Gawain and Lady Green (Merlin's Harp, #2)
  • The Rhinoceros Who Quoted Nietzsche and Other Odd Acquaintances
  • Catalyst
  • Space Opera
  • The Stone Fey
  • Snow, Fire, Sword (El Jisal, #1)
  • The Flight of Mavin Manyshaped (Mavin Manyshaped, #2)
  • An Alien Light
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • The Tower Room (Egerton Hall, #1)
  • Strangers in Paradise, Volume 4: Love Me Tender
  • His Conquering Sword (Jaran, #3)
  • Midsummer Night (Aetherial Tales, #2)
Patricia Anne McKillip is an American author of fantasy and science fiction novels, distinguished by lyrical, delicate prose and careful attention to detail and characterization. She is a past winner of the World Fantasy Award and Locus Award, and she lives in Oregon. Most of her recent novels have cover paintings by Kinuko Y. Craft. She is married to David Lunde, a poet.

According to Fantasy Book
More about Patricia A. McKillip...
Riddle-Master: The Complete Trilogy (Riddle-Master, #1-3) The Forgotten Beasts of Eld The Riddle-Master of Hed (Riddle-Master, #1) Heir of Sea and Fire (Riddle-Master, #2) Winter Rose (Winter Rose, #1)