Start by marking “Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant: Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant” as Want to Read:
Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant: Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant

Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant: Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,422 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Since its opening in 1973, Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca, New York, has been synonymous with creative cuisine with a healthful, vegetarian emphasis.

Each Sunday at Moosewood Restaurant, diners experience a new ethnic or regional cuisine, sometimes exotic, sometimes familiar. From the highlands and grasslands of Africa to the lush forests of Eastern Europe, from the sun-dre
Published October 15th 1990 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant

Fred
Aug 13, 2010 Fred rated it it was amazing
Lots of super delicious and fun recipes. There is one dish in here, Transylvanian Stew or something, that if you cook it following the specific Moosewood instructions you have to use every single pot, pan, bowl, spoon, cup, cutting board, measuring device, grater, blender, press, mill and dehydrator that you own and some you had to borrow from your neighbor.

So the running joke is, i guess if you're from Transylvania you can dirty every dish you own and not care because you'll probably be dead by
Mrs.soule
This cookbook is amazing! There is so much cultural information here, it's a joy to read. The recipes I've tried so far are also delicious and easy to follow if labor intensive.

I made the Brown Bread from the Macedonian section - savory and delicious. I also made the Red Pottage from the British Isles section, which is also yummy if a mess to make with an immersion blender (they recommend a blender, so it's not their fault). I also made it a little easier on myself and did parts of this in the s
Becky Koski
Dec 03, 2012 Becky Koski rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in world vegetarian cuisine
This book has SUCH a wide variety of world wide recipes that when I first found it at a second hand bookstore, I wasn't sure where to start. I have slowly begun picking my way through it over the past year or two, and every single recipe I have tried is more delicious than the last. Since these are regional recipes- very specific to the areas they come from- there are lots of unusual spices and food combinations, but each chapter goes into great detail to not only explain anything out the ordina ...more
Amanda
Jan 03, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I love this cookbook. Utterly and completely. Almost as much as I love the great friends that loaned it to us while they are on an exciting life adventure. I have always enjoyed the Moosewood cookbooks but this one really brings it all together offering a huge variety of tried and true vegetarian recipes that use all the best ingredients from around the world. They don't expect you to have an entire arsenal of exotic ingredients, though it certainly wouldn't hurt. Every recipe I try, I savor and ...more
Sharan
Feb 15, 2013 Sharan rated it it was amazing
wish for my own copy
Gwen Sinclair
Apr 03, 2016 Gwen Sinclair rated it it was amazing
Hands down, my favorite cookbook because of the variety and the fact that most dishes are vegetarian. I love reading each contributor's introduction to a cuisine and stories about the names of particular dishes (Yellowman's Banana Lime Bread and Best Peach Cobbler are standouts). Many are cuisines that we don't hear much about, like Chilean or Finnish. The recipes are easy to follow and most of the ones I've tried were very tasty. The index is excellent and there is a helpful glossary.
Sep 28, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Natural foods enthusiasts, world-cusine enthusiasts, vegetarians or veggie-sympathetic eaters
Shelves: food
A fantastic cookbook from a fantastic source. Moosewood books are full of interesting, beautiful, delicious recipes using fresh and wholesome vegetarian ingredients, and occasional seafood recipes. They are well-written, with good instructions, educational explanations, and personal touches. They don't usually have pictures, but trust me, you don't have to see pictures to know these recipes will be good. Moosewood Sundays is a collection of ethnic/regional menus, with each section written by a p ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 22, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I confess that I haven't tried a lot of the recipes in this book that was given to us years ago. However, the Rhode Island Corn Bread (inexplicably listed under "R" in the index) and the vegetable stock section (which is actually lists of what and what NOT to include and why) are the reasons that we keep the book in a prominent section on our cookbook shelf.

The corn bread is quite grainy and rather flat but it is fabulous sliced and grilled, drizzled with olive oil, then served under barbecued
Janet
Nov 30, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Hannah
Oct 02, 2008 Hannah added it
One of my most-used cookbooks ever. It's probably not the most authentic authoritative source on any of these cuisines, but it seems reasonably un-whitewashed, and the mix of cuisines is really intriguing (quick, name one other cookbook with Finnish and soul food recipes in it!). The harira (North African spiced vegetable soup), the date cake and the pilav have all been kitchen obsessions that I've eaten for weeks at a time. I gave this book to my dad around the time I went vegetarian (talk abou ...more
Hyla
Jul 07, 2008 Hyla rated it it was amazing
Kim
Jan 10, 2012 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
There are some very good recipes in this book, including some very good desserts. The Moosewood cookbooks are not learning cookbooks, by which I mean that they do not instruct the user on cooking techniques, history, etc. They are meant for people who cook, not for people who are serious about cooking. That said, if you want a smattering of regional selections, sometimes written by people who have ancestral ties to the region, sometimes by people who have spent lots of time there, this is a good ...more
Amy "the book-bat"
Nov 30, 2012 Amy "the book-bat" rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
I really like how this cookbook is set up. There are 17 regions/countries/ethnicities included in the book. Each section has an introduction to the area and the cuisine being covered, which is very informative. The recipes included in each section are separated by meal or course and each section has its own table of contents to make locating recipes easier. I am interested in culture and trying foods from other parts of the world, so this book really appeals to me.
Chris
Apr 10, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
I thought Moosewood was all veggie, but there' some fish in here - not that I'm complaining, as I went pescatarian myself two years ago. This book does a very good job of covering the world, and much more intelligently than most; Africa is actually broken down into regions (who knew it was a continent, not a country!), as is Asia and Latin America, which is not only politically and socially but culinarily refreshing. Oh, and the food is fantastic.
Siobhan Mcnally
Apr 07, 2013 Siobhan Mcnally rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Beginner to intermediate cooks who want to learn more vegetarian recipes
I remember eating in the restaurant and being so impressed I immediately wanted to learn how to cook like that myself. I have cooked my way through this book from cover to cover with my husband and the African peanut stew and empanadas are a family favorite we make often. These recipes are a bit more complicated than in some of the other books they have produced, but the results are impressive and well worth the extra effort.
Valerie
Feb 07, 2009 Valerie rated it liked it
343501 A delightfully diverse cookbook organized by region/country. Sometimes a bit complicated and often with specific ingredient lists, it none the less is proving to be a great collection of recipes. And one you get around to making them, quite handy, such as the black bean ful which is not only delicious but easily storable (which is good, as these aren't recipes for one).
Mary Corso
Jul 06, 2015 Mary Corso rated it it was amazing
Ethnic vegetarian dishes.
Kali
Sep 21, 2012 Kali rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking
I never like Moosewood cookbooks, and I should probably stop buying them. In this case, I found that none of the included recipes sounded better than those included in my "ethnic" (as in, "not American") cookbooks. It's never good when I go through every page of a cookbook and am not tempted to cook anything described therein....
Nov 03, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
My go-to cookbook for all of my CSA veggies. I can't open this cook book without finding something I want to make. A good variety of cuisines, many of which I don't see (or taste) on a regular basis. The cook book is vegetarian but even non-vegetarians should be able to find something intriguing. Love the variety of soups.
Nyna
Aug 19, 2013 Nyna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
The best vegetarian cookbook I have ever come across. But with it comes some work. The reason for the "Sundays" in the title is because you would not want to put this much effort into cooking every day. That said, each and every one of the recipes that I have tried in this cookbook has been worth every ounce of preparation.
Michelle
Apr 07, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone - especially vegetarians
Excellent ethnic recipes for dishes from around the world. Try the brussel sprouts and carrots; I think this is in the UK section. My husband, who was totally turned off of brussel sprouts as he'd never tasted them when cooked properly, loves this dish. I typically make it for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
Jill
Aug 01, 2007 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, cookbooks
Now this Moosewood cookbook I like. Simple recipies from a range of cultures, and easily attainable ingredients. Also takes away the intimidation factor for those wanting to experiment with Pan-Asian and Indian cuisines.

If only the food served at the actual Moosewood were as good as most of these recipies...
Sheryl
Aug 29, 2007 Sheryl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vegetarian
I end up using this book quite often at work, and I've recommended/purchased it for others who need to come up with creative vegetarian recipes on a regular basis.
Not something I ever cooked from at home too much, but the personal stories are nice and some of the soup recipes, especially, are very good.
Nick
Nov 11, 2008 Nick rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
I don't use this cookbook much any more, but it's a great intro to vegetarian cooking in a wide variety of cuisines. It was one of the first cookbooks I owned, and a lot of my early cooking came from its recipes - especially in the days when I was too intimidated to cook meat most of the time.
Bouquet
Oct 25, 2012 Bouquet rated it it was amazing
Mum has been giving me cookbooks from a young age and this was the first one I got, on my ninth birthday.

It's vegetarian and covers cuisines from just about every country you can point to on an atlas.

There aren't any photos but the recipes are encouragement enough.

I love it.
Joe
Mar 25, 2008 Joe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I heart you, Moosewood. Run away and make sweet sweet cream dishes with me.

Also, mmmmm Eastern European dishes! Caribbean! The Chinese and Indian sections are a little simple but the rest of the book I have been enjoying muchly. I have three words for you: Blueberry yogurt pie.
Daniel Homerick
Jan 29, 2010 Daniel Homerick rated it really liked it
Excellent vegetarian cookbook for cuisines from around the world. Each chapter, and each recipe is accompanied by stories about the author's connection to the region and to its food, which makes dipping into the book for a little culinary inspiration all the more enjoyable.
Violet Pinotti
Apr 05, 2013 Violet Pinotti rated it really liked it
If ever there was a cookbook to reaffirm commitment to world ethnic growth this is it. Could not wait to try each countrys cuisines. Recipes were concise, simple to follow and thoughtful in their designs. Recommend this as introduction to world cuisine for very level of cook.
Kate W
Oct 23, 2007 Kate W rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, favorites
The Moosewood collective has produces tons of cookbooks. This is the international one. The chapters are organized by country or region. It's a great vegetarian resource. Two favorite recipes are the creamy Mexican corn soup and the white bean and garlic soup from Provence.
Valerie
Aug 19, 2008 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Valerie by: duh! moosewood!
Shelves: cookbooks
This is probably the most used book on my shelf. It is certainly the most stained. After a disaster I could probably live by sucking nutrients off the page for a month or so. My list of favorite recipes would run on a little long, so I'll just say buy this book.
  • Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home: Fast and Easy Recipes for Any Day
  • Still Life with Menu Cookbook
  • The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant
  • The New Laurel's Kitchen
  • Vegetarian Epicure
  • Passionate Vegetarian
  • Moosewood Restaurant Kitchen Garden: Creative Gardening for the Adventurous Cook
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World
  • Horn of the Moon Cookbook: Recipes from Vermont's Renowned Vegetarian Restaurant
  • Chez Panisse Vegetables