Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home: Fast and Easy Recipes for Any Day

Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home: Fast and Easy Recipes for Any Day

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,283 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Winner of the 1995 James Beard Award for Best Vegetarian Cookbook Although many people think that cooking without meat means spending more time in the kitchen, the cooks at the world-renowned Moosewood Restaurant know this isn't so. Busy balancing home, work, and other commitments, they've been cooking for family and friends every day of the week for over twenty years. Moo...more
Published April 19th 1994 by Touchstone

Audrey Anne
This one has many post-its hanging off it's edges. The recipes are faster and simpler than the other Moosewood books, and therefore it is more practical. Some of my favorites that I have been making so long I forgot where they came from-are from this book. Like Fennel and Orange Salad or Asparagus with Fried Eggs and Cheese. The collection of recipes reflects many different ethnic origins, but most ingredients are easily found. Still, the combinations of flavors are often unexpected making this...more
Rachel
This cookbook, more than any other I've been working with, has taught me how not just the mechanics of how to cook, but what it means to feed myself well to have a household, to take responsibility for my own nourishment. It's not that any of the recipes are mind-blowingly incredible, but they are accessible, unpretentious, realistic while also being interesting and satisfying. Making their recipes has given me a feel for what I like - what flavor combinations appeal to me, which vegetables I ke...more
Robyn
This is a great vegetarian/healthy cooking cook book. I use quite a few recipes regularly from this book. Most recipes call for simple ingredients, and are very easy to make. Although there are no pictures, none are needed, because they have a description for each recipe that helps you envision what it's like, and also, what goes well with it. Some of my favorite recipes are: garlic and greens pizza; Asian Cabbage slaw; Soba Noodle Salad; Red, Gold, Black, and Green Chili; Sweet Potato Quesadill...more
Julia
This was my first cookbook, which I used primarily when I was a "pescetarian" (I ate the average vegetarian diet with occasional fish). The book is all vegetarian plus one chapter with a few simple fish recipes (I used the fish-in-a-packet recipe often when I still ate fish). Like most of the Moosewood cookbooks, the recipes are gleaned from around the world, and offer a wide variety of flavors. There is some good basic preparation information on different ingredient families (such as a few good...more
Kaylee
I just got this for Christmas, and have made several recipes already. Most of them I would definitely make again. One of the best things about this book is that every recipe can be made in 45 minutes or less. Recipes are inspired from cuisines around the world, so there is plenty of variety. But ingredients are still easy to find and not super weird. And, if you are into food presentation, these recipes look as beautiful as they taste.

The one thing I don't like is that most recipes say "salt to...more
Patricia
Mar 11, 2008 Patricia rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike
Good, simple fresh food. Everyday recipes that can be made quickly from things that you might actually have in your fridge or cupboard already. A good reference section with ingredient definitions and clear instructions for roasting, how to cook grains and other good advice. I usually cook without recipes, but when I get in a rut, this is the cookbook I look to for a quick fix. I reach for this cookbook more often than any other. These may not be the meals that wow you, but they are a reliable r...more
Kate HoboBelle
Apr 27, 2010 Kate HoboBelle rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Health conscious eaters
Shelves: cookbook
I love this cookbook. Some of the recipes are so-easy-it's-mindless, but the foods they produce are so very satisfying. And, hey, at the end of the day sometimes it's nice not to think. The Tomato Lime Soup and the Greek Fish in a Packet alone make the book worth it. Not every recipe has been a hit in my home, but so very many of them have become instant favorites that this is easily the book I turn too the most often. Moosewood Cooks at Home is a godsend at the end of a busy hectic day when all...more
Kecia
I found it at the Book Fair this weekend for $3.00! I love all things Moosewood so I was really happy with this find. First page I opened to was Mushrooms marinated in Lemon Sauce. I had some mushrooms and a lemon in the fridge...so as soon as I got home from the book fair I whipped out a delicious treat in about 10 minutes. Like my other Moosewood cookbooks - this one will get a good workout in my kitchen for years to come.

I'm planning to try the African peanut/pinepple stew next.
Allison
This book was given to me by a close friend, and I've happily cooked from it ever since. This is one of those "go to" books for me--which is saying a lot, since I have about 100 cookbooks in my house. I can't say I've never been disappointed with a recipe--I'd be astounded if any cookbook could really achieve that--but, I will say that a lot of favorites have come from this book (Lemon Zucchini Spaghetti, Multigrain Muffins, and Kasha with Mushrooms all come to mind).
Suzzanne
This is a nice beginners cookbook for quasi-vegetarians. I really have issues with fish recipes in veg cookbooks (fish are not plants last time I checked). But that is more of a personal problem.

The brownie recipe is worth the price of the book, but most of the other recipes are basic things you could figure out yourself if you have been cooking for awhile.

So, feel free to get this if you are just starting out as a cook or veg. Otherwise....meh.
Jamie
Great meals that are healthy and easy.

This book has defined my cooking repertoire for the last couple of years. I'm not a vegetarian, but my wife and I have found that vegetarian cookbooks tend to fit our tastes better than more conventional cookbooks.

My favorite recipe from this book:
North African Couscous Paella
I love to cook it for other people because it is easy, impossible to mess up and has a great presentation and everyone loves it.
David McCormick
This book has been hit-or-miss with me. I bought it because it won the Beard award but some of the recipes have been very disappointing. Bewildering, in fact. So great was my faith in this book that I followed their recipe for pad thai and actually added ketchup. Disgusting! Who has ever heard of such a thing? Even the recipes I like are really no more than simple, competent recipes like the ones found on any good recipe site or food blog.
Kim Tough
This was the first vegetarian cookbook I ever bought. It was a great start on my path.
Katey
Sep 13, 2007 Katey rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone who loves food & cooking
Shelves: cookbooks
this is probably my absolute favorite cookbook. it's one that i grew up with in my parents' kitchen. it's all vegetarian recipes, but you could easily adapt them for meat-eaters. i've had friends who've sworn they hate vegetarian food & have loved dishes i've made from this book. i HIGHLY recommend this one!!!
i suggest trying the couscous, artichoke, & walnut salad (pg 126) :)
Michelle
Apr 07, 2009 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everyone
All of the Moosewood cookbooks are fabulous, however I gave this one 4 stars instead of 5 because I find myself reaching for The Moosewood Cookbook and Moosewood Restaurant New Classics more than this cookbook. On the other hand, this cookbook has been used enough that it is about work out. Try the Cottage Cheese Apple Pancakes. They are a family favorite.
Karen
These recipes really are fast and easy, and I've found several in here which have become part of my regular dinner rotation. One thing I appreciate is that each recipe is accompanied by suggestions for side dishes and desserts, many of which are recipes included elsewhere in the book. It makes it easy to plan a complete meal.
Ellen
As the title indicates, this is a much kinder and gentler Moosewood cookbook chock full of excellent recipes for daily use. For the most part the recipes do not call for exotic ingredients which is nice for those who do not have access to specialty food stores. It is a great resource for vegetarians and omnivores alike
Karen Ribble
One of the great things about this book is that is gives suggestions for what to serve with each recipe. Whole meal suggestions. Many people are so clueless about veg. eating that they don't even know where to start. Great book. I love it. Got it as a Christmas gift years ago.
Jay
Jan 02, 2010 Jay rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: New vegetarians, Family cooking for vegetarians, Busy cooks
Recommended to Jay by: Mead Public Library, Sheboygan WI
Shelves: food
The recipes are indeed quicker and easier versions of Moosewood classic favorites. As someone who learned to cook vegetarian through the other Moosewood cookbooks, I missed the hand-drawn style and the extra information and details. For what it intends to be, this is a great resource.
Becky Koski
Great all around pescatarian cookbook - lots of quick dinner ideas and great variety of things to do with tofu and fish and pasta. Nothing overly elaborate - I think of it as my weeknight cookbook. And as always with Moosewood, directions are easy to follow, recipes are delicious!
Marie
Admittedly I only made two of the recipes out of this one during my three-week borrow-time from the library; both were a bit bland but just by reading through the sections I have a better understanding of how to plan a vegetarian meal and specifically, new ways to prepare black beans.
Margy
My absolute favorite of all the Moosewoods out there. Recipes reflect modern tastes and are dead easy to make. The dishes are fabulous, all of them. There are some fish recipes, too, so you have a bit of variety that way. My copy of this book is falling apart I use it so often!
Laura P
I like this cookbook a lot, because it has a great dishes from around the world, unique flavors, and helpful tips to save time, money, etc. I use it about once a week and make something new from it. However, I have yet to make anything that I am absolutely dying to make again...
Julia Murtha
Great book. Simple, user-friendly guide to gardening to keep your kitchen stocked for at least three seasons in Minneasota. The book is well organized like the other Moosewood books. You won't be disappointed. I borrowed this from the library and I am likely to buy it.
Annie
Jul 08, 2007 Annie rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: vegetarians and aspiring vegetarians, jeremiah, deborah
i grew up with this book, and it contains the most delicious and satisfying vegetarian options ... and i'm not talking about the usual "pasta w/ vegetables" nonsense. we all know that won't cut it. try the pineapple peanut butter kale stew. it rocks my box.
Tricia
great vegetarian/pescatarian (sp?) recipes! (definitely more than fish sticks, and mindless pastas.) flavorful and easy to follow. healthy recipes incorporating the flavors of very fresh ingredients. i enjoy the shrimp bisque, the salmon marinades.
Khinna
This book needed pictures. The recipes can be made under 20 minutes or less, usually with recipes I have to add an extra half hour. The Tomato Lime soup takes 10 minutes to make, and is a favourite for the family.
Jes H
This book has excellent vegetarian recipes suitable for family dinners or dinner parties. Most of the recipes are quick and easy, but some do require ingredients that your standard grocer may not always carry.
Audrey Zarr
This is my favorite cookbook of all time bar none. Recipes taste great and take the time indicated in the book. Working my way through all the recipes in the book cover to cover over the next couple years.
Nyna
This is the cookbook you want to have to supplement "Sundays at Moosewood." These recipes are low effort, suitable for everyday cooking. Delicious to the point of making you think you are in heaven.
  • The New Moosewood Cookbook (Mollie Katzen's Classic Cooking)
  • The New Laurel's Kitchen
  • Recipes for a Small Planet
  • Passionate Vegetarian
  • The Tassajara Bread Book
  • Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are
  • The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World
  • Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook
  • Flatbreads & Flavors
  • The Best Recipes in the World
  • Diet for a Small Planet
  • Classic Indian Cooking
The Moosewood Collective is a crew of fourteen women and five men. Some of us moonlight from Moosewood, and among us we have a broad range of interests and avocations. Our group comprises musicians, singers, dancers, actors, performers, mediators, meditators, activists, teachers, trainers, consultants, writers, gardeners, editors, poets, artists, quilters, calligraphers, martial arts instructors a...more
More about Moosewood Collective...
Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites: Flavorful Recipes for Healthful Meals Moosewood Restaurant New Classics Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers: Fresh Ideas for the Weeknight Table Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads and Extras The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health: More Than 200 New Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes for Delicious and Nutrient-Rich Dishes