Start by marking “Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom” as Want to Read:
Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom

Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Douglas Fisher and Nancy Frey show how to increase students' understanding with the help of creative formative assessments. When used regularly, these types of assessments enable every teacher to determine what students know, what they need to know, and what type of instructional interventions are effective.
Published March 19th 2008 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Checking for Understanding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Checking for Understanding

Tracey
Awesome book!!! Great ideas! Some are very obvious but it is nice to see them all in one collection! I plan to have this book in my classroom for reference this fall!!
Rachel
Apr 16, 2015 Rachel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
This books includes some great reminders about why we assess as well as some specifics strategies for assessment.
Kari
Oct 30, 2011 Kari rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: school
What is wonderful about this book is that it reminds us of why we assess our students. Not just how to do it (which they do offer so many wonderful ways) but also why. Not for state testing requirements, not for state or federal funding, but to improve our teaching. We assess our students to improve their learning experiences through our teaching. We assess our students to see where misconceptions or flat out misunderstandings lie. A good book to remind us of how important these points are in th ...more
Mari
Mar 17, 2008 Mari rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: educators; anyone
Recommended to Mari by: Mary Harthun
The authors offer a rich array of practical and proven methods for diagnosing students' prior knowledge and preconceptions before instruction begins and for regularly monitoring their learning along the way.

=^..^=
mb
Jean
A fellow teacher and I are reading this for a summer book study. Although some specific teaching techniques are immediately usable (I used one last class), most of the book is directed toward elementary teachers.
Carla
This is a great book that talks about using oral language, written language, and other formative assessment techniques to check for a student's level of understanding. Very practical and diverse in terms of techniques.
Jaime
Mar 15, 2008 Jaime rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jaime by: Mary B.
All it took was 5 minutes over lunch on Thursday to conclude that this book offers just a couple of new assessment ideas--which I will try, of course!
Bug
Jun 21, 2009 Bug marked it as to-read
Shelves: teacher-books
Highly recommended to me by very experienced teachers--So I feel confident recommending it without reading. Have not yet had time to read.
Thomas Henderson
Invaluable for both the new and the experienced teacher.
Patty Hay
Patty Hay marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Sharon L. Sherman
Sharon L. Sherman marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Clara
Clara marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Alan Baczkiewicz
Alan Baczkiewicz marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Text Complexity: Raising Rigor in Reading Better Learning Through Structured Teaching: A Framework for the Gradual Release of Responsibility Teaching Students to Read Like Detectives: Comprehending, Analyzing, and Discussing Text Improving Adolescent Literacy: Content Area Strategies at Work How to Create a Culture of Achievement in Your School and Classroom