Start by marking “Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom” as Want to Read:
Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom

Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Douglas Fisher and Nancy Frey show how to increase students' understanding with the help of creative formative assessments. When used regularly, these types of assessments enable every teacher to determine what students know, what they need to know, and what type of instructional interventions are effective.
Published March 19th 2008 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Checking for Understanding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Checking for Understanding

Awesome book!!! Great ideas! Some are very obvious but it is nice to see them all in one collection! I plan to have this book in my classroom for reference this fall!!
Apr 16, 2015 Rachel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
This books includes some great reminders about why we assess as well as some specifics strategies for assessment.
Oct 30, 2011 Kari rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: school
What is wonderful about this book is that it reminds us of why we assess our students. Not just how to do it (which they do offer so many wonderful ways) but also why. Not for state testing requirements, not for state or federal funding, but to improve our teaching. We assess our students to improve their learning experiences through our teaching. We assess our students to see where misconceptions or flat out misunderstandings lie. A good book to remind us of how important these points are in th ...more
Mar 17, 2008 Mari rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: educators; anyone
Recommended to Mari by: Mary Harthun
The authors offer a rich array of practical and proven methods for diagnosing students' prior knowledge and preconceptions before instruction begins and for regularly monitoring their learning along the way.

A fellow teacher and I are reading this for a summer book study. Although some specific teaching techniques are immediately usable (I used one last class), most of the book is directed toward elementary teachers.
This is a great book that talks about using oral language, written language, and other formative assessment techniques to check for a student's level of understanding. Very practical and diverse in terms of techniques.
Mar 15, 2008 Jaime rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jaime by: Mary B.
All it took was 5 minutes over lunch on Thursday to conclude that this book offers just a couple of new assessment ideas--which I will try, of course!
Jun 21, 2009 Bug marked it as to-read
Shelves: teacher-books
Highly recommended to me by very experienced teachers--So I feel confident recommending it without reading. Have not yet had time to read.
Thomas Henderson
Invaluable for both the new and the experienced teacher.
Valkerie Fabulous
Valkerie Fabulous marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Lmmercado marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Ashish marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Caitlin Bickel
Caitlin Bickel marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Samantha is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2015
Zita Helene
Zita Helene marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Hannah marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Cecilia McRobie
Cecilia McRobie marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Tenesha D
Tenesha D marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Azc Library
Azc Library marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Discipline with Dignity: New Challenges, New Solutions
  • How to Give Effective Feedback to Your Students
  • Results Now: How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching and Learning
  • Whatever It Takes: How Professional Learning Communities Respond When Kids Don't Learn
  • What Works in Schools: Translating Research Into Action
  • Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World
  • Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching
  • Leading Change in Your School: How to Conquer Myths, Build Commitment, and Get Results
  • Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?: Content Comprehension, Grades 6-12
  • Guided Reading: Good First Teaching for All Children
  • Differentiating Instruction in the Regular Classroom: How to Reach and Teach All Learners, Grades 3-12
  • 7 Keys to Comprehension: How to Help Your Kids Read It and Get It!
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization
  • Understanding by Design Professional Development Workbook
  • Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write
  • Total Participation Techniques: Making Every Student an Active Learner
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
Text Complexity: Raising Rigor in Reading Better Learning Through Structured Teaching: A Framework for the Gradual Release of Responsibility Teaching Students to Read Like Detectives: Comprehending, Analyzing, and Discussing Text Improving Adolescent Literacy: Content Area Strategies at Work How to Create a Culture of Achievement in Your School and Classroom