Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom

Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Douglas Fisher and Nancy Frey show how to increase students' understanding with the help of creative formative assessments. When used regularly, these types of assessments enable every teacher to determine what students know, what they need to know, and what type of instructional interventions are effective.
Published January 1st 2007 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development

To ask other readers questions about Checking for Understanding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Checking for Understanding

Kari
Oct 30, 2011 Kari rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: school
What is wonderful about this book is that it reminds us of why we assess our students. Not just how to do it (which they do offer so many wonderful ways) but also why. Not for state testing requirements, not for state or federal funding, but to improve our teaching. We assess our students to improve their learning experiences through our teaching. We assess our students to see where misconceptions or flat out misunderstandings lie. A good book to remind us of how important these points are in th...more
Mari
Mar 17, 2008 Mari rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: educators; anyone
Recommended to Mari by: Mary Harthun
The authors offer a rich array of practical and proven methods for diagnosing students' prior knowledge and preconceptions before instruction begins and for regularly monitoring their learning along the way.

=^..^=
mb
Jean
A fellow teacher and I are reading this for a summer book study. Although some specific teaching techniques are immediately usable (I used one last class), most of the book is directed toward elementary teachers.
Carla
This is a great book that talks about using oral language, written language, and other formative assessment techniques to check for a student's level of understanding. Very practical and diverse in terms of techniques.
Jaime
Mar 15, 2008 Jaime rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jaime by: Mary B.
All it took was 5 minutes over lunch on Thursday to conclude that this book offers just a couple of new assessment ideas--which I will try, of course!
Bug
Jun 21, 2009 Bug marked it as to-read
Shelves: teacher-books
Highly recommended to me by very experienced teachers--So I feel confident recommending it without reading. Have not yet had time to read.
Thomas Henderson
Invaluable for both the new and the experienced teacher.
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Alyson
Alyson marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Sara
Sara added it
Jul 30, 2014
Katie
Katie is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
Martha Rogers
Martha Rogers marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Trina
Trina added it
Jul 11, 2014
Alison
Alison added it
Jul 06, 2014
Marion Mouton
Marion Mouton marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Cindy Nath
Cindy Nath marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Jared Barcelos
Jared Barcelos marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Tonya
Tonya marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Abigail
Abigail is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2014
Dawn Gresham
Dawn Gresham marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Text Complexity: Raising Rigor in Reading Better Learning Through Structured Teaching: A Framework for the Gradual Release of Responsibility Teaching Students to Read Like Detectives: Comprehending, Analyzing, and Discussing Text Improving Adolescent Literacy: Content Area Strategies at Work 50 Instructional Routines to Develop Content Literacy