Start by marking “I've Been Gone Far Too Long: Field Study Fiascoes and Expedition Disasters (Travel Literature Series)” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
A compendium of hysterically funny travel crises--and not of the tame "I asked for a hamburger on the train to Frankfurt and got a..." order; these are gems from the field, horror stories written by 21 anthropologists, botanists, and biologists. There are some reports on the well known, such as Kelly Stewart's memory of Dian Fossey packing a pistol in a fruitcake as she cr ...more
Published August 1st 1996 by RDR Books

To ask other readers questions about I've Been Gone Far Too Long, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I've Been Gone Far Too Long

HeavyReader
Feb 02, 2015 HeavyReader rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
I actually laughed long and hard several times while reading this book! I enjoyed the stories about the perils of fieldwork, and I'm glad I picked this one up at a thrift store.

The piece I found funniest was "The Great Parrot Hunt," by James Serpell. ("It was like being trapped in the middle of a demented badminton tournament.")

"Little Criminals," by Truman P. Young was cleverly written and fun to read.

"My Family, Food, and Fieldwork," by A. Magdelena Hurtado was a more serious piece and very
Jeannette
Jan 19, 2016 Jeannette rated it really liked it
Of course I'm prejudiced. My husband and I wrote a chapter for this book and many of the other 30 researchers are friends of ours. I'd give the book a great big five star but for the fact that quality is so uneven in a book put together with different stories by different people in different places and times. Even so, its a quick fun read...
Mila
Aug 10, 2011 Mila rated it liked it
This was also a book picked up for its direct correlation to my impending research in Kenya. The stories are pretty good, however, I think the audience appeal is probably limited to those who have experienced some kind of similar situations or at least the impetus to find yourself in them. Some of the stories aren't particularly well written or well put together, and others are fairly delightful (Truman Young's hyrax essay). If you'll be doing any sort of biological field study and have an inter ...more
Jonathan
Jan 02, 2010 Jonathan rated it liked it
Shelves: travel, made-me-laugh
This second travel disaster book I’ve read by RDR Publishers. I find these books to be delightful. This one is longer pieces than I Really Should Have Stayed Home, but organized thematically. While this is an excellent book, unless you are interested in the subject, you are likely to find I Really Should Have Stayed Home more interesting.
Jenna
Jenna rated it did not like it
Apr 17, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Jen
Jen is currently reading it
Nov 11, 2015
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Chi Dubinski
Chi Dubinski rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
FPK1
FPK1 rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
Agata
Agata is currently reading it
Dec 30, 2014
Gwen Menz
Gwen Menz marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2014
Rurik
Rurik rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2014
Abigail
Abigail rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Gillian
Gillian rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2014
Milo
Milo marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Yumi Kanayama
Yumi Kanayama rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Graham Fox
Graham Fox rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Jonah
Jonah rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Elizabeth Fabry
Elizabeth Fabry rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2013
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Susan Klemetti
Susan Klemetti rated it really liked it
May 25, 2013
Dena Norman
Dena Norman rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2013