Sammy's Song

Sammy's Song

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Who gets stuck with Sammy?
Thats the question on everyones mind when Sammys mother dies in the summer of 1968. How could Marnis parents bring someone like him to live with her normal family? And now its Marnis responsibility to babysit him.
Audio CD
Published 2005 by Covenant Communications

06KyraG
A story about kids sticking up for each other, love, drama, and some action! Sounds great doesn’t it? Well that’s what Sammy’s Song is about, and the best part is it’s based on a true story! It’s a very unique story because one it’s about a teenage handicapped boy so people may be able to relate. Maybe even you! It’s a great inspirational story that has some humor too.
The main characters are a 10 year old tomboy girl named Marni, and a severely handicapped older teenage boy. Marni is my favori...more
Mom
Who gets stuck with Sammy?
But soon Marni discovers there are some advantages to taking care of her older cousinand that someone unique is hidden beneath Sammys uncommon exterior. However, Marni still isnt looking forward to taking him to the first day of school. What will people think w...more
Katie Wahlquist
I'm just going to say this once: I don't like LDS fiction! Now, with that out of the way, let me review this book. My mother in law gave this one to me and insisted I read it, and since I always make her read my books, I gave it a shot. Was this story completely predictable? Yes. Was it playing on emotion rather than substance? Absolutely. Was it well written? Perhaps yes, perhaps no. Did I end up liking it? I think maybe yes. It's a story of a pre-teen girl and her handicapped cousin that comes...more
Dahlene
I actually read this book. It is one of my favorites of all time. This book is so touching and amazing. It delves into the uncomfortable feelings we all sometimes have when we are around people with disabilities. Because we have not been around them much and they are all unpredictable people we sometimes don't know how to act around them. I found myself laughing at times and crying at others. It is such a neat story of a girl who ends up loving someone she thought she hated.
Darilyn
I think this is a must read for everyone who ever comes in contact with those that are a little different than the "norm." I love how the author brings a change about in the main character of the book. It was very moving and when I looked at my little cousin with Down's syndrome this past weekend I couldn't help but think of the character Sammy in the book and how amazing his spirit was and know that my cousin's spirit is just as bright and purposeful. It was a fantastic book.
Gerberta
This is my favorite book. I was sad to find out that it is no longer in print but luckily found myself a copy. It is a very heart-wrenching story of a young girl who learns to deal with her handicapped cousin when he comes to live with their family. She learns to see things from his perspective - with many bumps along the way. This book was thought-provoking and one I will read repeatedly. If anyone wants to borrow it (and promises to return it) I'd love to lend it out.
Serena
This was a fantastic story about what it was like to be 10 years old and have a special needs child as a family member. Setting is in the 60's. I could identify with how special needs kids were educated at this time--in a special room by themselves.

Marni becomes Sammy's fierce protector and must come to grips with her feelings about Sammy, his differences, and the acceptance or rejection of her peers. Destined to make you laugh and cry.
Libby
This is a story about a little girl who's family adopts their handicap cousin. At first the little girl is the biggest brat (and I really struggled reading the chapters where she is a royal pain in the butt) to her new handicap cousin. Soon she realizes that her cousin Sammy is a very special person. The ending is sad, but also shares a wonderful message about treating others with disabilities and handicaps with love and respect.
Susan
When Marni's Aunt dies, the five children are sent to live with relatives. Marni, age 10, is hoping for the youngest girl so she can have a little sister. However, Sammy, a mentally handicaped, 11 year old boy, comes and Marni gets stuck with taking care of him. Set in the summer of 1968 and keeps well to the thinking of the time.
Tenille
Great story. A little girl, age 10, tells the story of the summer her handicapped cousin comes to live with her family. It was hard to read at first since she was soooo mean to him... but then she grew to love being with him and it was a very sweet story!
Betty Ann Baer
This is a story about a girl about 10 years old. Sammy has some learning disabilities and comes into the family's life when his parents die. It's a touching story about caring for handicapped people. I think I'm going to recommend it for my bookclub.
Sherilyn
I loved this book. It had such a great message and made me realize I need to be more aware of those who I may think are different than me. Sammy was a great inspriation in this book. Thanks to my friends who recommended this book
Debbie
I really liked this book. I have a special needs child and I have often wondered what it will be like when he grows up and goes to school. I could really relate to this book. Thank you for writing it, Mr. Yates.
Ashley
This book is totally not my kind of thing; I read it for a book club. The writing wasn't great and it wasn't a page turner or anything, but the message was good and I can appreciate that.
Steph
Mar 13, 2009 Steph added it
This is a sweet story told from the viewpoint of a 10-year old. I really enjoyed it - I wouldn't say it's like DEEP or anything, but it is uplifting and touching.
Mindy
Aug 03, 2009 Mindy added it
A really touching book and well written. Helped me learn what a true friend is all about and how to stand up for others who cannot stand up for themselves.
Danielle
I really enjoyed this book. If you find the beginning slow please keep reading it gets a lot better. I especially liked the mustang Volkswagen joke.
Tylaine
Cute, touching book about how a mentally challenged child changed some cousin's lives through his special spirit. Quick, easy read.
Chrissy
I absolutely loved this book! (althought I'm not sure why the title says it's a CD...)

*Loved it so much, I'm reading it again!*
Karen
I like anything that Alma writes. He is so down-to-earth and makes stories that are real. This one is great!
Chanté
Another easy read, fun book. This one makes you think and view things in life differently. Good book.
Trina
got about a third of the way into this book and couldn't find the interest enough to finish it
Julia
Great book that makes you stop and think a little more about those around you.
Lana
Good book. Makes you want to be better. It will definitely make you cry though.
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Miracle of Miss Willie Finding Dad No More Strangers, Please Race to Eden Nick