Start by marking “The Fly Caster Who Tried to Make Peace with the World” as Want to Read:
The Fly Caster Who Tried to Make Peace with the World

Read eBook

The Fly Caster Who Tried to Make Peace with the World

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  26 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Making peace with the world, sooner or later most of us have to.

But how?

For Ian Mac Bride, his way begins almost accidentally when, in 1909, he watches a fly-casting tournament in New York's Central Park, and begins to dream of becoming a great fly caster.

But soon Ian experiences personal tragedy, and then is appalled by the unexpected slaughter of World War I.

He retre
Published March 26th 2007 by Saw Mill River Press

Be the first to ask a question about The Fly Caster Who Tried to Make Peace with the World

Cameron
Oct 11, 2007 Cameron rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fly-fishermen, fly-fisherwomen, anyone who likes philosophy and a good book
Mid summer a customer of the fly-shop where I work and order books for, came in with a book I had previously only seen in the back insert of a magazine or two.

Interested immediately, but stuck in the middle of summer guiding, I only got to it recently.

Along the lines of Harry Middleton's "The Earth is Enough," which is my favorite fly fishing book, Randy Kadish has written a generous, cross-generational book that views the world through the lense of fly-fishing/fly-casting.

There is an unfolding
ron swegman
May 01, 2010 ron swegman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels, angling
The Fly Caster Who Tried to Make Peace with the World is a debut novel as ambitious in its scope as it is picturesque on the page. Author Randy Kadish, whose short stories have appeared regularly in several national fly fishing magazines, uses the art of casting the fly line to tie together a unique New York story that encompasses love, loss, Pacifism, and other weighty subjects set against the backdrop of the city's Golden Age during the first half of the twentieth century.

Ian, the novel's cent
Doug Alcorn
Jan 16, 2014 Doug Alcorn rated it liked it
I mostly enjoyed this book. It reminded me of "A River Runs Through It". I only have a couple complaints. First, I think the peace theme was a little too heavy handed, particularly through the end. I, myself, would hate to send my own sons to war; but I still felt it was too much. The second, is that the main character never seems to mature. He's full of self-doubt and regrets his whole life; more than I think most people are. Anyway, it was a good premise and a different kind of book for me.
Bob Nelson
Jan 01, 2015 Bob Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flycasting with history and philosophy

I found this to be a wonderful tale of history and fly fishing. Through two world wars to present day, this story of a man's family and his obsession with fly casting become a metaphor for making sense of the world.
Norma
Feb 07, 2011 Norma rated it liked it
This book was considerably longer then the first one that I read by this author. Again I had received a coupon code in exchange for a review.

Once again, the author really delivered on creating characters that were believable. At times the story felt a little slow moving and choppy. However it really was a great tale. I loved the fact that young Ian had met up with Izzy after the fishing tournament.

One thing I came away with was the fact that sometimes life’s lessons come from people and places
Darrin Niday
Apr 18, 2011 Darrin Niday rated it liked it
Shelves: fly-fishing, e-book
I really enjoyed the book. The characters were very believable, and I enjoyed reading about the time period it took place in. I'm going to have to work on my fly casting techniques now. I look forward to reading his next book.
Hoss
Hoss marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Eliot Tow
Eliot Tow rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Delta
Delta marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Renuka Nath
Renuka Nath rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2015
Teresa
Teresa added it
Oct 21, 2015
Nathan
Nathan rated it it was ok
Sep 08, 2015
james lam
james lam rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
TK
TK added it
Jul 18, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Lee
Lee rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Bert Brehm
Bert Brehm rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Scott Lindberg
Scott Lindberg rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Geary Johns
Geary Johns rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2014
Wade Corbeil
Wade Corbeil marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Jen Locke
Jen Locke marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Mick Longley
Mick Longley rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Marnie Eichele
Marnie Eichele marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
I'm a native New Yorker. After a good deal of disappointment, I gave up writing. Then my mother passed away, and I found that fishing helped ease my grief. Almost accidentally, I wrote and sold a fishing article. Afterwards, my articles and memoirs appeared in many publications, including The Flyfisher, Flyfishing & Tying Journal and Yale Anglers' Journal.

To me, much of my writing is about how
More about Randy Kadish...