The Fly Caster Who Tried to Make Peace with the World
read ebook

The Fly Caster Who Tried to Make Peace with the World

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Making peace with the world, sooner or later most of us have to.

But how?

For Ian Mac Bride, his way begins almost accidentally when, in 1909, he watches a fly-casting tournament in New York's Central Park, and begins to dream of becoming a great fly caster.

But soon Ian experiences personal tragedy, and then is appalled by the unexpected slaughter of World War I.

He retre...more
Published March 26th 2007 by Saw Mill River Press

Cameron
Oct 11, 2007 Cameron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fly-fishermen, fly-fisherwomen, anyone who likes philosophy and a good book
Mid summer a customer of the fly-shop where I work and order books for, came in with a book I had previously only seen in the back insert of a magazine or two.

Interested immediately, but stuck in the middle of summer guiding, I only got to it recently.

Along the lines of Harry Middleton's "The Earth is Enough," which is my favorite fly fishing book, Randy Kadish has written a generous, cross-generational book that views the world through the lense of fly-fishing/fly-casting.

There is an unfolding...more
ron swegman
The Fly Caster Who Tried to Make Peace with the World is a debut novel as ambitious in its scope as it is picturesque on the page. Author Randy Kadish, whose short stories have appeared regularly in several national fly fishing magazines, uses the art of casting the fly line to tie together a unique New York story that encompasses love, loss, Pacifism, and other weighty subjects set against the backdrop of the city's Golden Age during the first half of the twentieth century.

Ian, the novel's cent...more
Doug Alcorn
I mostly enjoyed this book. It reminded me of "A River Runs Through It". I only have a couple complaints. First, I think the peace theme was a little too heavy handed, particularly through the end. I, myself, would hate to send my own sons to war; but I still felt it was too much. The second, is that the main character never seems to mature. He's full of self-doubt and regrets his whole life; more than I think most people are. Anyway, it was a good premise and a different kind of book for me.
Norma
This book was considerably longer then the first one that I read by this author. Again I had received a coupon code in exchange for a review.

Once again, the author really delivered on creating characters that were believable. At times the story felt a little slow moving and choppy. However it really was a great tale. I loved the fact that young Ian had met up with Izzy after the fishing tournament.

One thing I came away with was the fact that sometimes life’s lessons come from people and places...more
Darrin Niday
I really enjoyed the book. The characters were very believable, and I enjoyed reading about the time period it took place in. I'm going to have to work on my fly casting techniques now. I look forward to reading his next book.
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Millie
Millie marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Mallory Heart Reviews
Mallory Heart Reviews marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2013
RW Bennett
RW Bennett marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2011
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2011
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2010
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
May 02, 2010
Kristomanci
Kristomanci marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2010
Rob
Rob is currently reading it
Apr 12, 2010
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2009
Scott C
Scott C marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2008
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2008
I'm a native New Yorker. After a good deal of disappointment, I gave up writing. Then my mother passed away, and I found that fishing helped ease my grief. Almost accidently, I wrote and sold a fishing article. Afterwards, my articles and memoirs appeared in many publications, including The Flyfisher, Flyfishing & Tying Journal and Yale Anglers' Journal.

To me, much of my writing is about how t...more
More about Randy Kadish...
The Bad, The Good and Two Fly Fishing Women A Life-Changing Day on a River The Second Fly Caster: Fatherhood, Recovery and an Unforgettable Tournament The Way of the River My Journey of Fishing, Forgiveness and Spiritual Recovery The Bad, The Good and Two Fly Fishing Women, and a Life-Changing Day on a River The Fly Caster Who Tried To Make Peace With the World