Start by marking “The Greene Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
The Greene Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #3)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Greene Murder Case (Philo Vance #3)

Philo Vance takes a hand when, in an evening, one daughter of the Greene family is shot to death and another one is wounded. The family comprises two sons and three daughters (the youngest, Ada, is adopted) under the rule of their mother, a bedridden invalid who spends her days feeling sorry for herself and cursing her ungrateful children. The family is required to live in ...more
Published August 1st 1980 by Scribner Book Company (first published 1928)

To ask other readers questions about The Greene Murder Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greene Murder Case

Peggy
Feb 18, 2017 Peggy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little longer than it probably needed to be, but it kept my interest piqued to the end. Lots of older books mentioned and used in the storyline. Good solid mystery. Not any really 'likable' characters for me.
Nancy
Sep 12, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it

Very old school. Had to keep a dictionary handy -lots off words and phrases no longer in use. A fairly unpleasant set of characters and I found it hard to be charmed by Philo Vance or his shadow, the author. A period piece.
Kenchiin
Jun 02, 2015 Kenchiin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic-mystery
There were enough clues, it was a fair game :)
E
Oct 29, 2015 E rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are not overly imaginative detective thrillers. I enjoy them because Van Dine was evidently a very well-read and -traveled man. I learn plenty about art, literature, and foreign words and phrases, which makes the books enjoyable. The actual cases are okay. This one was a bit like Agatha Christie, in that people kept dying and the pool of possible perpetrators kept shrinking. What's interesting it's that these books are not detective stories, etc. Sure, there are plenty of clues (or "clews, ...more
L.  (Oxygenating My Wombspace)
Aug 08, 2011 L. (Oxygenating My Wombspace) rated it did not like it
Erika Bonaparte
Dec 23, 2012 Erika Bonaparte rated it really liked it
This book reminded me of the old 1930-1940's black & white detective films that have given great pleasure on the years. I definitely plan to read the remaining books S.S. Van Dime wrote in this wonderful series Philo Vance ( think William Powell). Highly recommend!
Yordan Dimov
Имах чувството, че няма да му видя края на това книжле. Толкова разтакаване, излишни подробности и куп нещица, които натоварват процеса на четене. Добра история, но можеше по-добра реализация. Така че съм щедър за това крими.. 2.5 към 3.
Beaux Cooper
Feb 07, 2016 Beaux Cooper rated it it was amazing
Our very own American version of Sherlock Holmes, but this time with intelligence comes a charming disposition in which heiresses are taken weak in the knees and even the hardiest of frauen purr like kittens in his presence. He's handsome, independently wealthy, and lives the life of a 1920's bachelor. He's Philo Vance and just as Sherlock had Watson, our stories are brought to us from the recounts of sidekick S. S. Van Dine.

Philo Vance has found his way into the mysterious murder of the ancient
Mmyoung
Jun 26, 2010 Mmyoung rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Very disappointing. Van Dine's Philo Vance books were financially successful and influenced a number of other mystery writers not least of whom was Ellery Queen. The first two books in the Vance series were rather stiff and self-aware but that is not surprising. This book, the third, lacks any good excuse for its shortcomings.

SPOILER WARNING:
The only reason the first murder was not committed within hours of its taking place was due to the fact the police did almost nothing. The simplest aspects
Brad McKenna
May 28, 2016 Brad McKenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
When a series of murders take place in a rich family's home, Philo Vance is on the case!

This book has the biggest body count, by far, of the Philo Vance stories. But as with most books at that time (1929) all murders take place off screen, so to speak. Each member of the family hates the others and none are particularly fond of Vance and the police.

There were a couple of good twists in this story. The resolution I thought would happen proved to be a red herring. I was actually surprised the bo
Pat Roberts
Apr 21, 2016 Pat Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered the author when I was reading "Mission to Paris." The protagonist in Mission was reading one of S. S. Van Dine's mysteries, so I thought I'd check to see if I could still find his books. Well, they are now being republished and I enjoyed the Greene mystery on my Kindle. I found it to be a well-written 'who done it' and one's interest could easily be held without the addition of f bombs and gratuitous sex. How refreshing is that! Maybe an astute reader can figure out the culprit---th ...more
George
Oct 17, 2015 George rated it really liked it
3rd in the Philo Vance mystery series set in November/December, 1928. Vance, an independently wealthy college educated, amateur detective, uses his deductive skills and psychological knowledge to help his New York City District Attorney friend to unravel the murders of members of the wealthy Greene family. It is a case which appears to defy reason with no serious leads. Vance's methods are unconventional and go against the more rigid police investigative methods and lawyer legal requirements, bu ...more
Mike Gustin
Feb 06, 2014 Mike Gustin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book seems quite derivative, drawing heavily on other mysteries. The narrator is very Watson-like & the main character, Philo Vance, is Oxford-educated and speaks like Lord Peter Wimsey. However, if you get past the rather tedious first 40 pages (and skip the lengthy German footnotes toward the end), it is a really good mystery.

Philo Vance stories were made into movies several times--most notably with William Powell in the starring role.
Donna
Mar 20, 2015 Donna rated it liked it
I'm not particularly fond of Philo Vance, but these puzzles are rather interesting. Here a most unlikable family becomes the victim of a string of murders. I guessed some of the answers, but not the whodunit.

Vance is Lord Peter Wimsey at his most obnoxious multiplied. While there are some fair- play clues, many others are held by the detective until the final reveal.

Another case where "justice" takes unusual steps.
Sem
Sep 12, 2012 Sem rated it liked it
I've given it three stars because it was readable but Vance is subdued, there isn't a green carnation in sight (except by very close scrutiny of the subtext), the info dumps are notable, the identity of the murderer is obvious from the start, Mrs. Greene is beyond belief, and the promised frissons fail to materialise. How the author could have continued writing until the unsurprising denouement is beyond me.
Kenneth
Jan 24, 2016 Kenneth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The old Greene mansion, lived in by the late Tobias Greene's family, is a creepy old house, and Tobias' adult children start being murdered, one by one. Philo Vance and his best friend, the New York County District Attorney, John F.-X. Markham, take up the investigation, which leads them into a nasty family haunted by its past. Set in New York City in the early 1920's, they struggle to make sense out of all the contradictory events and clues that keep happening.
Susan
When members of the dysfunctional but wealthy Greene family start to die off by violence, Philo Vance enters the case, sensing that it is something deeper than it seems. Certainly there are aspects to the crimes that seem impossible--yet they happened. While I have a fondness for these books amounting to a weakness, I kept thinking while reading it how much better the young Ellery Queen handled similar material.
Mary
Nov 03, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
The third book in the series set in 1928 New York. Philo Vance is a wealthy aristocrat who assists his friend District Attorney Markham solve murder mysteries. The Greene Murder Case is about a wealthy family where the members are murdered one by one in their old mansion until Philo Vance solves the case. An interesting whodunnit that leaves you guessing up until the end.
Donata
May 13, 2013 Donata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emozionante, ti tiene sospeso fino all'ultima pagina. Da leggere!
Shelli King
Oct 14, 2011 Shelli King rated it it was amazing
Very good. Had a neat little twist to it.
Leslie
Jan 01, 2012 Leslie rated it liked it
Dated but not a bad read. I do hope the New York police department was more efficient than it is portrayed in this mystery!
Melinda
Jan 23, 2010 Melinda rated it really liked it
Shelves: keeper
A great classic crime novel - great detail and use of flamboyant English makes this must read for any lover of mystery's.
Paul Barron
Not too bad a bit of a deviation for me I particularly enjoyed the atmosphere and social commentary of 1927. Must have had an awful lot of ashtrays in those times.
Dfordoom
Aug 23, 2011 Dfordoom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-mystery
Philo Vance is a bit like an American version of Lord Peter Wimsey. Some people find him annoying. I think he's terrific. A fine example of a golden age murder mystery. Published in 1928
Pietro De Palma
May 16, 2013 Pietro De Palma rated it it was amazing
Without this, Tragedy of Y by Barnaby Ross (Ellery Queen) should be not. And several other novels, among which, for example, "The Death in the Dark" by Stacey Bishop (the musician George Antheil).
Maria S
May 20, 2014 Maria S rated it it was amazing
really smart cool detective series looking forward to reading the rest !
Ronald
Sep 22, 2016 Ronald rated it it was amazing
read during fall 1969
Laura Rye
Oct 29, 2016 Laura Rye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one...thought I knew who-done-it, but I was wrong....Highly recommend
Michele bookloverforever
dated but interesting mystery.
Giordano
Giordano rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2013
  • The Chinese Parrot (Charlie Chan, #2)
  • The Dutch Shoe Mystery
  • The Red Thumb Mark
  • The Red Right Hand
  • The Middle of Things
  • The Barrakee Mystery (Bony, #1)
  • Buried for Pleasure (Gervase Fen, #6)
  • The Saint and Mr. Teal (The Saint)
  • The Case of the Constant Suicides (Dr. Gideon Fell, #13)
  • The Old Man in the Corner
  • At The Villa Rose
  • The Tragedy of Y

Philo Vance (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Benson Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #1)
  • The Canary Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #2)
  • The Bishop Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #4)
  • The Scarab Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #5)
  • The Kennel Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #6)
  • The Dragon Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #7)
  • The Casino Murder Case (Philo Vance Mystery #8)
  • The Garden Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #9)
  • The Kidnap Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #10)
  • The Gracie Allen Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #11)

“But society is ignorant and venomous, devoid of any trace of insight or understanding. It exalts knavery, and worships stupidity. It crucifies the intelligent, and puts the diseased in dungeons.” 0 likes