Start by marking “The Feather Quest” as Want to Read:
The Feather Quest

The Feather Quest

When a flash of pink was spotted in a cloud of gray gulls over Newburyport, Massachusetts, ten thousand people descended on the town in hopes of seeing a rare Ross's gull from Siberia. Among them were Pete and Linda Dunne, who set off from there on a year-long odyssey. Dunne has poured the most remarkable stories, birds, and characters into this unforgettable book about ...more
Published February 1st 1992 by Dutton Books

To ask other readers questions about The Feather Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Feather Quest

Stephen
Feb 15, 2012 Stephen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It’s hard to believe that Pete Dunne’s “The Feather Quest” and I have shared this planet for 20 years and it go unnoticed by me. Or that I’ve had a copy of the book in my home for over two years and have just now settled into reading it.

Well, good things come to those who wait.

I expected it would be a book about hard-to-find places and even harder-to-find birds, which, of course, it is. I have two of Dunne’s other books about birds, both excellent references.

But, “The Feather Quest” is a differ
Caran-marie
Jul 23, 2012 Caran-marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: birding
Birding as MAJOR life activity. This is what birding is like for those people with 400-500 "lifers" types of birds seen. The author travels North America from a birder's perspective. Go to Arizona? It's to see humming birds, not the Grand Canyon. Pete Dunne, the Author and his wife, Linda, are both extreme birders, you'd have to be at this level- I would love to go on any one of these fascinating trips described- I just can't imagine hubby going with. North America viewed from a birding view. ...more
Radhika
Jan 12, 2012 Radhika rated it really liked it
Dunne’s Feather Quest is really a bird quest, a Pete Dunne’s life in birds circa 1989. With fancy typesetting, and a silhouette of a bird delineating each chapter adventure, the book makes me want to be Dunne’s invisible companion. It even makes me want to be the expert that he is, to effortlessly identify birds, to have all those colorful birding experiences, and that warm birding camaraderie. Dunne is humorous and philosophical and always environmentally conscious.

A delightful read.

More book t
Esther
Feb 25, 2014 Esther rated it really liked it
Interesting reading about the author and his wife's travels to specific places in the US and northern Canada in search of birds and birders in 1990, an era before internet access to rare bird alerts. The end of the book pushes conservation and is before the time when condors are free flying again and the bald eagle population has rebounded.
Kiirsi Hellewell
I'm not done with this book yet, but it is sooo good. Pete Dunne is not only a supremely talented birder, but he's a wonderful writer. So good, in fact, that if I could ever be half as good, I'd be very happy. I think even non-birders would like this book. I'm taking my time reading a chapter or two a week but loving every minute of each page.
Pat Mckee
Dec 15, 2015 Pat Mckee rated it it was amazing
Well written book for those of us who enjoy birding. The Dunnes are serious birders, and in this book he describes locations they visited. Not only does he provide good information on birds but also good info on binoculars, etc.
just sarah
Mr. Dunne can come off a little full of himself at times, but still a good read for all those who love nature.
Cathy
May 25, 2009 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent writing. Demerits for unnecessary curse words, some sections focused on listing and repetitive feeling.
Oen
Oen rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Adam  Sell
Adam Sell rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2013
Steve Muskie
Steve Muskie rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2013
Candi Harris
Candi Harris rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2009
Pam Higginbotham
Pam Higginbotham rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Laurel Scott
Laurel Scott rated it really liked it
May 25, 2014
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2008
Randy
Randy rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2012
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2011
Louanne
Louanne rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2009
R Kline
R Kline rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2015
Warren
Warren rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Rob Neyer
Rob Neyer rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Mike Swanson
Mike Swanson rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2011
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2009
Linda Shaver
Linda Shaver rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Ron
Ron rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2010
Mary Harper
Mary Harper rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2012