Start by marking “Dancing Through the Snow” as Want to Read:
Dancing Through the Snow

Dancing Through the Snow

The story of an abandoned dog helping an abandoned girl open her heart.

Hardcover
Published 2007 by Scholastic Canada Ltd.

Cortney
Feb 18, 2010 Cortney rated it it was amazing
If you are a foster child, this is a very good book for you to read. I highly recommend it, it was amazing.
Paulina
Apr 12, 2011 Paulina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

One of my favorites books ever!!!!!!!!!! So amazing (loved it).About girl who gets adopt.
Brianna
Actually 4.5
Nancy
Aug 13, 2009 Nancy rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Jessica
Jul 19, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"So far, Min reminded herself, you have loved nobody and nobody has loved you. You weren't even given up for adoption, you were just thrown away."

This is the story of Min, a girl who was abandoned as a child. She has been in the Foster Care program ever since, bouncing around to different families. Min has nothing. No real family, no birth certificate, few memories or anything else to give clues of where she actually came from. Through her life, Min has had to put up with bullies who make fun o
Ri
Jan 28, 2014 Ri rated it really liked it
Shelves: january-2014
Min was abandoned at the CNE at the age of 3. After being found and taken into child care, she had several foster families but in the end she was taken into the care of Jessica Hart some time before Christmas. While living there she spends time with Toby a 12 year old boy, Cassie her new dog and Emily, a lost dog Min had found. Min later takes on a new name, Jessamyn Randall which replaced her old name Minerva, which had caused her to be bullied plenty. Everything works out in the end, with an ...more
Pooja vallam
Jan 03, 2015 Pooja vallam rated it really liked it
When I was in sixth grade, I thought it was way too boring, and barely breezed through chapter one, but in seventh grade I decided to force myself to read beyond the barrier that held me back for so long. Turns out right after reading the first chapter a magical world filled with surprises infected me and I didn't need to force myself, once I got infected I WANTED to read it and felt like a coward for not reading it before.
This book taught me an important lesson NOT to judge a book by it's cove
6kaylin
Dec 12, 2012 6kaylin rated it really liked it
I read dancing through the snow by jean little I didn't really like this book that much it didn't have me hooked onto it that well. It's about a little girl named min who was adopted she didn't have a birth certificate. One day they were looking for a tree and they found a lost injured dog. They took it to the vet and it became better and they got to keep it after it became better. One of Jess friends mins mother is friends with someone who's dog they found so they had in give it back. The birth ...more
Heidi
Feb 15, 2010 Heidi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 5th - 8th
Maggie Huang
Feb 10, 2015 Maggie Huang rated it really liked it
Why I read it: the summary was really interesting
Why I finished: the book got more and more interesting
Who I recommend to: rose 7C
Why: I think she will really enjoy these kinds of book

When min saved Grace, I got really into the book. I never knew Grace would be a bug part of the story

Min was sent to The Children's Aid. She had nothing. She was adopted 4 times before she was dumped back to The Children's Aid a short while before Christmas. She can't stop aching for a miracle to happen. She's al
Lindsay Sanderson
Sep 05, 2011 Lindsay Sanderson rated it it was ok
I didn't really enjoy this book. At all. Maybe it was because it was forcing myself to read it in French class for a French book report. Or maybe it's because it kinda sucked. It wasn't heartwarming to me and I didn't find it touching at the least. All I saw it as was words and broken story printed in paper. If this book was a song, it would be tuneless, out of time and half the band would be four measure behind.
Susan  Person
Jan 13, 2010 Susan Person rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-fiction
A girl who has moved from foster home to foster home is being brought back again, and this time just before Christmas. A small town doctor recognizes herself in the girl, and on the spur of the moment decides to take her home. Min has learned never to trust any adults, but Jess seems different. Will this placement be the one that sticks? Would be great paired with Gilly Hopkins and Hollis Woods.
Wells Margo
Dec 25, 2013 Wells Margo rated it really liked it
This book was very sweet, but I had to give it 4 stars because Min was really annoying at times. Sometimes she could be bratty too, like when she didn't want to go to school and yelled at her foster mom. For a girl who "never cried" she sure cried and/or "held back tears" a lot. Anyways, I really enjoyed this book and I loved the ending.
Laurie
Feb 12, 2010 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jean Little was one of my absolute favorite authors as a child, so I had high hopes for this, her first middle-grade novel in a while. It was a decent story about a foster child who, with the help of people and pets, learns to trust, but it was no The Great Gilly Hopkins. A good-enough read, especially for girls in 4th-7th grades.
Ms. Scolaro
Jan 04, 2010 Ms. Scolaro rated it really liked it
Abandoned when she was 3, Min is passed from one foster home to another. She has no birth certificate, no identification and no history. She copes with all this by not allowing anyone to get close to her. All that changes when she is brought to live with Dr. Jess who, with the help of a rescued dog, helps her understand that someone can love and accept her for who she is. A feel good story.
Pamela
For middle-grade readers, a fairly good inspiring book. Young adults, however, might find it lacking in verve and zest. I thought it was a touching, hopeful and purposeful story about a twelve year old foster child and a wonderful little dog she rescues....and in turn helps rescues her from despair.
Lynn
Oct 20, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it
In my opinion, it ended very happily, as Min goes from a girl who was never happy with all her foster families to one who is loved and cared of by her new foster mother. I think Jean Little has portrayed a lot of emotion in this novel. It’s a very comforting and sweet story that appeals to those at the ages of nine to twelve. I really enjoyed the book.
Virginia
Jan 25, 2012 Virginia rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
this is a sweet book, a little sentimental at times, but real-feeling too. At times i felt there was a little too much happening, but i suspect i probably would've been ok with that when i was younger (like the age this is aimed at:P).
Oct 03, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Not quite as good as "Willow and Twig" - that's my favourite Jean Little book by far - but still excellent. The only part I didn't quite understand was how the two main characters "found" each other - it seemed to easy. But other than that, very enjoyable!
Catfantastic
May 21, 2014 Catfantastic rated it really liked it
Jean Little has a knack for beginning her books in the Syd-Fieldian "crunch," from which point everything gets better. I've never read anyone else who can do that--at least, no one else who can do that and make it work quite as well as she does.
Julia Jiggs
Oct 26, 2015 Julia Jiggs rated it it was amazing
This is my first review on here, so I'll keep it short. I don't remember when I first read this book, but I was pretty young, and I can say that I absolutely loved it! It's a sweet Christmas story that will warm your heart. I don't know how many times I re-read it as well.
Miranda
Jun 13, 2011 Miranda rated it liked it
This is on my "Forgettable" shelf because, as I was going through notebook of read books, I came across this one...and I had NO memory of it. At all. Nada. Even when I got on here and looked at it, I couldn't remember what it was.
Kim
Jun 21, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is such a wonderful story for the heart and I think it will be enjoyed by many of my grade five students.
Smorrow98
I loved this book so much! It was very touching and I LOVED it. It's a perfect winter/Christmas book.
Seanean
Apr 13, 2010 Seanean rated it liked it
The writing is a little stilted, but the author seems to understand the emotional ups and downs of an abandoned foster child.
Cindy Chung
Feb 22, 2013 Cindy Chung rated it really liked it
I like...umm...like "older"books, like with...kissing and stuff..........but this book was pretty good
Brandi
Aug 07, 2009 Brandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for the middle school (5-8th crowd). Really enjoyable to read. Loved the main characters.
Courtney
Jan 08, 2008 Courtney rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I loved it. It was sad, funny and happy. I loved and you'll probably lke it too because to me, i never read a bad book.
Lou
Mar 29, 2010 Lou rated it really liked it
This story of a foster child who finally finds a home is touching without being overly sentimental.
Kaleigh
Jan 09, 2016 Kaleigh rated it really liked it
This is a amazing book. It's a easy one to relate to. It's just so incredible. It's a great book and I deffintley would read it again and it's a boom that you must read.
  • The Other Side of Blue
  • Noonie's Masterpiece
  • All That's Missing
  • The Trials of Kate Hope
  • Saving Sky
  • The Sorta Sisters
  • The Forgotten Secret (Grim Hill, #3)
  • Wormhole Pirates on Orbis 3 (The Softwire #3)
  • Shifty
  • Promise the Night
  • Saint Training
  • Wave
  • The Mystery of the Missing Everything
Jean Little is a Canadian author, born in Taiwan. Her work has mainly consisted of children's literature, but she has also written two autobiographies: Little by Little and Stars Come Out Within. Little has been partially blind since birth as a result of scars on her cornea and is frequently accompanied by a guide dog.
More about Jean Little...

“Least said,soonest mended," Toby quipped, quoting a saying Jess often used.” 1 likes