Start by marking “In the Bunker with Hitler: 23 July 1944 - 29 April 1945” as Want to Read:
In the Bunker with Hitler: 23 July 1944 - 29 April 1945

In the Bunker with Hitler: 23 July 1944 - 29 April 1945

Throughout the last nine months of the Third Reich, from 23 July 1944 to 29 April 1945, Captain Bernd Freytag von Loringhoven daily attended Hitler's military briefings with his highest-ranking officers. He also watched—while recording his experiences in his private diaries—as increasingly the gap widened between the reality of the war outside the bunker and Hitler's willf ...more
Published July 30th 2007 by Pegasus Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about In the Bunker with Hitler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Bunker with Hitler

Scott
Apr 06, 2008 Scott rated it really liked it
It's amazing to think that there is anyone left alive can not only remember the Third Reich (with the eyes of a discerning adult...I realize there are plenty of children from the '30s and '40s still around) but also to have been in such close contact with the leadership of the Third Reich that he could offer insight into its behaviors and actions at the close of the war. It's also amazing to think that if such an individual were still alive, they would commit those memories to paper, exposing it ...more
Leonardo Pradela
An astounding confession, full of details and impressive remarks. I thought I knew a lot about Germany in the Second World War, but it turned out I was immensely mistaken.
All that aside from the fact this is a story of survival, a struggle for rational behavior and an ethical approach that contradicts the general perspective most of us have of the germans in the 1940s.
Billy
Apr 07, 2010 Billy rated it liked it
Shelves: world-war-2
First hand account of a young German officer's experiences inside Hitler's bunker in the latter stages of the war.

A good portion of the book is taken up with his experiences earlier in the war. He also was acquainted with many of the players in the Stauffenberg plot.

Unfortunately, while the book offers glimpses into the mindset of the times (for example, the author had no idea who Eva Braun was when he first met her), it provides no real insight. As such, it probably falls more into the realm of
Martin
Nov 22, 2008 Martin rated it really liked it
This book really interested me. My favorite part was when the main character meets Hitler. He describes him as a powerful and evil man. But also a smart and misunderstood man. Hitler hated Jew because his father was one. He always hated him. His father didn't let him be the artist he knows he could have been. So now he took his rage out on the Jews of Europe. This book also shows and explains how evil really works. Hitler was one of the faces of evil. He did some many things to the poor Jews bec ...more
Fanny
This book wasn't exactly what I thoght it was gonna be. Alot more namedropping and history, war strategy and dates.
I don't know exactly what I was hoping for, but we didn't get into the bunker until the last 50 pages or so.
Don't get me wrong, alot of interesting stories. But I find it kind of hopeless to remember 10 different namnes and rankes on one page.
Stil a really interesting read. But a bit to heavy and namedropping for me.
Think I just wiched for more of a story...
Sophie
Apr 29, 2008 Sophie added it
Poorly written, presumes a fairly high familiarity with events of the end of the war (I'm a history teacher and it had me lost) -- yet still fascinating. This man was IN THE ROOM with Hitler, witness to the last months of the war. His description of Hitler's increasing madness and of the intricate interpersonal dynamics of the hierarchy are really revealing. I couldn't put it down, despite it's weaknesses.
Jon
Feb 17, 2008 Jon rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2008
The translation was a little awkward, but the writing itself was above average. And the ability of the author to convey his ideas and feelings was excellent. Who even knew that someone from this historic period/event was even still alive to tell his story. It was interesting to hear first person how one could be a loyal german army officer and not be a Nazi.
Priscilla
Feb 04, 2014 Priscilla rated it liked it
A very good book, however I had issues with the writing style. There was so many people who were mentioned in such a short period of time, Im not 100% I could possibly retain all the information. Bernd Freytag von Loringhoven defiantly has a interesting story to tell.
Mike Lieberman
Mar 18, 2010 Mike Lieberman rated it it was ok
Shelves: biographic, history
I thought the concept of the book was great, but I didn't make it more than 100 pages in. Read too much like a history book for me.
Paco Crespo
Experiencias personales. No aporta novedades, pero no está exento de interés. Bien escrito, fácil de leer.
Danilo
Danilo rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Andy Juengling
Andy Juengling rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Diego Favilla Czwil
Diego Favilla Czwil rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Hank
Hank rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Matt Griggs
Matt Griggs rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Andres Felipe
Andres Felipe rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2013
Thierry Zakhia
Thierry Zakhia rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2015
Guillem Ferruz orero
Guillem Ferruz orero rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2012
David Galbraith
David Galbraith rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2015
Erica
Erica rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2009
Ileana Cartagena
Ileana Cartagena rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Virginia
Virginia rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2016
Anthony Muzio
Anthony Muzio rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Shane
Shane rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2012
Chris Langer
Chris Langer rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Peter Milne
Peter Milne rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2012
Yigal Gafni
Yigal Gafni rated it really liked it
May 14, 2012
Mackenzie
Mackenzie rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2013
Quintin
Quintin rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Denmark Cristobal
Denmark Cristobal rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2014