Start by marking “In the Bunker with Hitler: 23 July 1944 - 29 April 1945” as Want to Read:
In the Bunker with Hitler: 23 July 1944 - 29 April 1945

In the Bunker with Hitler: 23 July 1944 - 29 April 1945

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Throughout the last nine months of the Third Reich, from 23 July 1944 to 29 April 1945, Captain Bernd Freytag von Loringhoven daily attended Hitler's military briefings with his highest-ranking officers. He also watched—while recording his experiences in his private diaries—as increasingly the gap widened between the reality of the war outside the bunker and Hitler's willf ...more
Published July 30th 2007 by Pegasus (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about In the Bunker with Hitler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Bunker with Hitler

Scott
It's amazing to think that there is anyone left alive can not only remember the Third Reich (with the eyes of a discerning adult...I realize there are plenty of children from the '30s and '40s still around) but also to have been in such close contact with the leadership of the Third Reich that he could offer insight into its behaviors and actions at the close of the war. It's also amazing to think that if such an individual were still alive, they would commit those memories to paper, exposing it ...more
Leonardo Pradela
An astounding confession, full of details and impressive remarks. I thought I knew a lot about Germany in the Second World War, but it turned out I was immensely mistaken.
All that aside from the fact this is a story of survival, a struggle for rational behavior and an ethical approach that contradicts the general perspective most of us have of the germans in the 1940s.
Priscilla
A very good book, however I had issues with the writing style. There was so many people who were mentioned in such a short period of time, Im not 100% I could possibly retain all the information. Bernd Freytag von Loringhoven defiantly has a interesting story to tell.
Billy
First hand account of a young German officer's experiences inside Hitler's bunker in the latter stages of the war.

A good portion of the book is taken up with his experiences earlier in the war. He also was acquainted with many of the players in the Stauffenberg plot.

Unfortunately, while the book offers glimpses into the mindset of the times (for example, the author had no idea who Eva Braun was when he first met her), it provides no real insight. As such, it probably falls more into the realm of
Martin
This book really interested me. My favorite part was when the main character meets Hitler. He describes him as a powerful and evil man. But also a smart and misunderstood man. Hitler hated Jew because his father was one. He always hated him. His father didn't let him be the artist he knows he could have been. So now he took his rage out on the Jews of Europe. This book also shows and explains how evil really works. Hitler was one of the faces of evil. He did some many things to the poor Jews bec ...more
Sophie
May 12, 2008 Sophie added it
Poorly written, presumes a fairly high familiarity with events of the end of the war (I'm a history teacher and it had me lost) -- yet still fascinating. This man was IN THE ROOM with Hitler, witness to the last months of the war. His description of Hitler's increasing madness and of the intricate interpersonal dynamics of the hierarchy are really revealing. I couldn't put it down, despite it's weaknesses.
Jon
The translation was a little awkward, but the writing itself was above average. And the ability of the author to convey his ideas and feelings was excellent. Who even knew that someone from this historic period/event was even still alive to tell his story. It was interesting to hear first person how one could be a loyal german army officer and not be a Nazi.
Mike Lieberman
I thought the concept of the book was great, but I didn't make it more than 100 pages in. Read too much like a history book for me.
Paco Crespo
Experiencias personales. No aporta novedades, pero no está exento de interés. Bien escrito, fácil de leer.
Paco Crespo
Amy Hustead
Amy Hustead marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
John Patton
John Patton marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Carlos Baeza
Carlos Baeza marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Thomas Lehman
Thomas Lehman marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Natalie Leung
Natalie Leung marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014