Start by marking “Silly Suzy Goose” as Want to Read:
Silly Suzy Goose

Silly Suzy Goose

Suzy Goose is fed up with being just like the rest of the flock. She wants to be different - to flap like a bat, squawk like a toucan, slide like a penguin, jump like a kangaroo, and swim like a seal. But when she tries to roar like a lion she gets more than she bargained for.
Published by Walker, (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Silly Suzy Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silly Suzy Goose

Rossy
Jan 11, 2016 Rossy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so fun, I actually laughed out loud twice.
I'm not going to say anything about comformity and that it is the book's message to kids, because I don't think that's the theme here. I WILL say I think it'd be great to mimic each animal Suzy wants to be like, and the sounds Suzy makes! It'd be so much fun for little kids! :)
Katie Fitzgerald
"Perhaps it is better to be just like everyone else, thought Suzy Goose..."

It's hard to believe a children's book actually includes this line. I can tell what the author probably means. I think he wants us to understand that Suzy is born to be a goose and should therefore embrace it instead of trying to be something else. He might also be hinting at the happiness of finding community and commonality. But the wording of this sentence is unfortunate and sends a mixed message at best. I'm surprise
Hayley Noble
I do not really like Silly Suzy Goose, the only reason I have given 2 stars is because my daughter finds it slightly amusing. Its become one of those books, that she is semi interested in and takes a little bit of notice but I know I loose all her focus and attention, and carry on reading. (more for myself as I don't like to not finish a book - even a child's)

I'm sorry but Suzy goose needs a slap, I always ssay to my little one " ahh, here is Suzy roaring a a lion as she needs all the attention
Jamil
Mar 27, 2008 Jamil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i am starting to get disturbed by all these picture books that seem to encourage conformity &/or assimilation. That said, those are sure some well drawn geese!
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary Silly Suzy Goose is about a silly goose who wishes she could be all kinds of other animals just so she didn't have to be the same as all the other geese. That is, until she is frightened by a lion and then she want to get back to being a goose.
Annotation - This story explores the need for children to express themselves in different ways. The traits she admires in other animals she already has, so it is a good point to talk to students about the need to enjoy who you are.
Age appropr
Vivian
Apr 19, 2013 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is perfect for sharing in a story time where there is need of a wiggle break! Invite all the children to stand up with you as you mimic silly gooses wishes to be something other than herself.
Stand on one leg (like a flamingo)
Flap your "wings" (like a bat)
Clap your arms together (like a toucan's beak)
Slide back and forth (like a penguin side-stepping)
Stretch up high (like a giraffe)
Hose yourself (like an elephant)
Jump up and down (like a kangaroo)
Run in place (like an ostrich)
Make swimming m
Katherine Cowley
Oct 12, 2011 Katherine Cowley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
You can tell a picture book is a hit if your child wants you to read it to her again and again and you still don't get tired of it. Suzy Goose wants to be different than all the other geese, but when different includes fraternizing with lions, it gets her in trouble. Silly Suzy Goose is about expressing your own individuality while being part of a community, and the pitfalls and triumphs of navigating self and the other. It's a delightful and silly book with lovely illustrations and fun word sou ...more
Julie
Apr 17, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, 2009
This is Suzy Goose's first book and it is a fun adventure. Suzy decides she doesn't want to be like all the other geese and thinks of all the things she could do if she were a different animal. When she tries to be like the lion, he doesn't care for that. He chases after her and she gets back to her flock and blends right in. The moral being that sometimes it is good to be like everyone else, but sometimes it is OK to be different.

This is a great read aloud book, featuring many different animals
Hannah Smith-Morgan
This is an adorable little book with creative illustrations that would be a very entertaining and engaging read aloud. This is a great book to learn about different types of birds and what they all do. It also teaches a valuable lesson of being happy with what you are able to do and not comparing yourself to others. There are some pages that go vertically and they are very interesting (its a giraffe stretching his neck). The goose finds out that she can do all the things that the other birds can ...more
Matthew
This was a silly story about a goose who envied all the special talents of the animals all around her and didn't appreciate the beauty of being like other geese until imitating a lion got her into trouble that only blending in with the crowd could get her out of. She doesn't give up her independent personality though. She just learns to appreciate the occasional benefits of occasionally blending in. It's mostly a story about the value of acceptance.
Winta
Apr 07, 2011 Winta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a lot of animals and it is an easy read for beginning readers. Silly Suzy goose wants to be like different animals, and this book shows what different animals do. The illustrations in this book are simple enough for young children to be drawn to and understand. The words are written in large font, small font, and a page is vertical. These are a few things that make this book a fun read for very young children.
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
This is a really cute tale of a goose who is just like all the other geese, but wishes she was more different and could do cool things like the giraffe and penguin and all the other animals.

I didn't find this book as interesting as others, but my four year old loved it. The pictures are very colourful and have a lovely sort of sketchy watercolour effect and it's a fairly quick read.
Erin
Aug 21, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silly Suzy Goose doesn't want to be just like everyone else. She wishes she were all sorts of other animals so she could do what they do. When she attempts to roar like a lion, she wakes the lion up! Then the lion chases Suzy until she makes it back to her gaggle where she discovers that it's not so bad to be like the others afterall.
Paul
Jul 29, 2011 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
A goose reacts against the conformity of avian society. Its fantasies of fulfilling its individual potential by escaping the anonymity of the flock culminate in its near slaughter. When the goose's frankly rubbish attempt at mimicking a lion goes disastrously wrong, the gauche bird hastens back to its humdrum existence hissing around after small children in its local park.
Shelby Kesterke
This book was a very well put together picture book. The author did a good job of telling the moral of the story though illustrations of the duck and depicting how he would be different.

I would use this book in the classroom to talk about how being unique and one of a kind is a good thing, and that sometimes being like every one else isn't all that its cracked up to be.
Katie Scherrer
Check out the amazing print awareness moment when Goose wonders what she could do if she were a giraffe! This is one of my favorites for bilingual storytime. Keep the kids engaged by acting out all of the motions Goose wishes she could do.
Ashlee Gibson
Apr 11, 2011 Ashlee Gibson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: being-yourself
This is a great book about how being yourself is good but it is good to be different sometimes. The illustrations in this book are colorful and will catch your eye. The kids will enjoy all the sound effects and will stay engaged.
Georgegould
Oct 02, 2010 Georgegould rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational. I learnt to be content with who I am, to always take chances, to love someone be they a lion or a goose.
I think I speak for all readers when I say ROARRRHONK!

God bless you, you silly goose.
Natalie Richard
Oct 10, 2014 Natalie Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great story about a goose who wants to be like other animals. It would like to be different. However, it soon realizes that being different may not always be a good idea. Students loved listening to this story. It would be ideal for students K-2.
Library
Jul 13, 2016 Library rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Silly Susie will have children laughing and imagining themselves as different animals. The movements within the book will be a great asset for story time and children will enjoy repeating her attempt at a roar - Rroarrrhonk!
Oana Cerchezan
This book would be a good book to introduce similes to the students. The goose wants to be able to do thinks like other animals. The students can write their own sentences. A beginning can be provided and they can finish the rest. For example : I am as _____ as a _____.
Kim Foy
Mar 24, 2012 Kim Foy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
This is a very cute story of a goose who wants to be like the other animals...like the bat who hangs upside down or the giraffe who stretches so tall. He soon discovers that sometimes it is better to be like others, and sometimes it is better to be your own unique self.
Suzanne
Aug 30, 2007 Suzanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschool
Shelves: picture-books
This book did not live up to it's title. I thought it was going to be the adventures of a silly little goose. It was kinda dumb. And not at all silly.
Jen
Apr 30, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pb, storytime, silly
This super cute book with large pictures introduces many animals. It teaches about belonging and diversity. It also teaches about teasing. Great for storytime.
Anna
Sep 10, 2009 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Gotta love Suzy. She's a funny goose. We tracked down this book because we liked "Look Out, Suzy Goose" so much.
Russell Olson
Apr 28, 2011 Russell Olson rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
Really rich illustrations, but the story (or moral) was pretty watered down and just a little (not to over analyze a children's book but...) dogmatic.
Danica Midlil
Love the squirting elephant page! Great pictures, format, repetition, and message! Plus toddlers love it.
Katie
Jul 09, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suzy the Goose wishes she could do things the other animals can do...until she realizes that it's not so bad being one of her flock.
Lauri
A little goose finds out she is more than she thinks she is and it's okay to be the same, but a little bit different.
Meg McGregor
A little goose named Suzy wants to be different than what she is - a plain old goose. But she learns that there is always something great about being yourself.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Peek-a-Zoo!
  • Worms for Lunch?
  • Hurry! Hurry!
  • The Animal Boogie
Petr Horáček is the author-illustrator of LOOK OUT, SUZY GOOSE and SILLY SUZY GOOSE, as well as RUN, MOUSE, RUN!; BIRD, FLY HIGH; A NEW HOUSE FOR MOUSE; and STRAWBERRIES ARE RED. He lives in England.
More about Petr Horáček...