Start by marking “Foul: Connie Hawkins” as Want to Read:
Foul: Connie Hawkins

Foul: Connie Hawkins

Mass Market Paperback
Published by Warner Books (first published October 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Foul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foul

Kurt
Jan 30, 2008 Kurt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tremendous, riveting, often-heartbreaking account of schoolyard basketball legend/NBA star Connie Hawkins. Even though it's more than 30 years old, it's still an educational read about how the promise of sports stardom (both collegiate and professional) can betray so many talented inner-city kids. People like Hawkins paid dearly so that many years later, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, et al, could go straight to NBA fame and fortune without attending college.
Thomas Nahigian
Aug 24, 2015 Thomas Nahigian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best basketball books ever written, The story of Connie Hawks fight to join the NBA. The Hawk played in the ABA for two years, then joined the Phoenix Suns for the 1969-70 NBA season.
Bap
Feb 22, 2008 Bap rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, sports
I overstudied for my comprehensive exams at LSE which left me totally spent. We moved to Chapel Hill in the fall of 1973 and I began working on the gounds crew for UNC along with prison work release inmates including "Cool Daddy", a murderer and other unforgettable characters. I could only manage to read the Connie Hawkins story, which was ghost written no doubt, formulaic, and geared for a dull witted 14 year old. It took me about 6 weeks to finish it in my zombie state. Connie Hawkins grew up ...more
Craig
Sep 10, 2013 Craig rated it it was amazing
Connie Hawkins might well have been the best basketball player ever, but that will never be known because of the unfortunate problems that kept him out of the NBA for so long. Wolf wrote one of the best biographies I've ever read, not just one of the best sports-figure biographies, in this excellent portrayal of his rise from poverty to being black-listed to eventual vindication. I don't follow basketball much anymore, but I think that this is a book well worth reading for anyone interested in t ...more
Ron
Aug 02, 2011 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always felt this was the greatest sports book ever written because Wolf, like a good sociologist, gives us the entire story of the Hawk's life. I had never understood the pressures facing young black men in the ghetto prior to this, having lived a more comfortable life and having pursued athletics for reasons far different than the young men found in this book. I have immense respect for Wolf for telling this tragic story with compassion.
Steven
Aug 13, 2012 Steven rated it it was amazing
One of the best inspirational sports books ever. It's not just for fans of basketball it's about the struggle of life and never giving up on your dreams. You can get anywhere you want in life if you decide to not accept failure. If you want something that appear unattainable read this book... you will change your mind and go for it.
Oliver Bateman
Nov 24, 2010 Oliver Bateman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although slow and uneven at certain points, this insider's look at the life of the unfairly maligned Connie Hawkins is both a moving story of redemption as well as an excellent social history of professional basketball in the late 60s and early 70s.
Patrick
Jul 19, 2009 Patrick rated it it was amazing
One of the very best sports biographies ever written. Well researched and blunt; painting an honest yet not always flattering picture of Hawkins. You come away feeling you understand both the man and what he went through, inflicted by others as well as by himself.
Ralph
Oct 12, 2010 Ralph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story of the colorful life of an NBA star, who was also a star at the "other" basketball - street ball.
I remember enjoying at the time.
Brook Zelcer
Nov 30, 2013 Brook Zelcer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: basketball
The story of the great Connie Hawkins, compellingly told by David Wolf and Hawkins himself. Will always be one of the great- - and most important- - hoops books.
John Diaz
John Diaz rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2007
Doug Dick
Doug Dick rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Tully Wagner
Tully Wagner rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2011
Wilkins King
Wilkins King rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2013
Micah
Micah rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Jan Takehara
Jan Takehara rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2012
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2008
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2013
Bryan Burke
Bryan Burke rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Matt
Matt rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2010
Bryan Houston
Bryan Houston rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Marty
Marty rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Darrel Hudson
Darrel Hudson rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2017
Mike Pokas
Mike Pokas rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2011
Neill Caldwell
Neill Caldwell rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2011
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2015
Alan Golub
Alan Golub rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2010
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Devin McKinney
Devin McKinney rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2012
Chris Mclaughlin
Chris Mclaughlin rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2014