Foul: Connie Hawkins

Foul: Connie Hawkins

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Mass Market Paperback
Published by Warner Books (first published October 1st 1988)

Kurt
A tremendous, riveting, often-heartbreaking account of schoolyard basketball legend/NBA star Connie Hawkins. Even though it's more than 30 years old, it's still an educational read about how the promise of sports stardom (both collegiate and professional) can betray so many talented inner-city kids. People like Hawkins paid dearly so that many years later, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, et al, could go straight to NBA fame and fortune without attending college.
Bap
I overstudied for my comprehensive exams at LSE which left me totally spent. We moved to Chapel Hill in the fall of 1973 and I began working on the gounds crew for UNC along with prison work release inmates including "Cool Daddy", a murderer and other unforgettable characters. I could only manage to read the Connie Hawkins story, which was ghost written no doubt, formulaic, and geared for a dull witted 14 year old. It took me about 6 weeks to finish it in my zombie state. Connie Hawkins grew up...more
Craig
Connie Hawkins might well have been the best basketball player ever, but that will never be known because of the unfortunate problems that kept him out of the NBA for so long. Wolf wrote one of the best biographies I've ever read, not just one of the best sports-figure biographies, in this excellent portrayal of his rise from poverty to being black-listed to eventual vindication. I don't follow basketball much anymore, but I think that this is a book well worth reading for anyone interested in t...more
Ron
I've always felt this was the greatest sports book ever written because Wolf, like a good sociologist, gives us the entire story of the Hawk's life. I had never understood the pressures facing young black men in the ghetto prior to this, having lived a more comfortable life and having pursued athletics for reasons far different than the young men found in this book. I have immense respect for Wolf for telling this tragic story with compassion.
Steven
One of the best inspirational sports books ever. It's not just for fans of basketball it's about the struggle of life and never giving up on your dreams. You can get anywhere you want in life if you decide to not accept failure. If you want something that appear unattainable read this book... you will change your mind and go for it.
Patrick
One of the very best sports biographies ever written. Well researched and blunt; painting an honest yet not always flattering picture of Hawkins. You come away feeling you understand both the man and what he went through, inflicted by others as well as by himself.
Oliver Bateman
Although slow and uneven at certain points, this insider's look at the life of the unfairly maligned Connie Hawkins is both a moving story of redemption as well as an excellent social history of professional basketball in the late 60s and early 70s.
Brook Zelcer
The story of the great Connie Hawkins, compellingly told by David Wolf and Hawkins himself. Will always be one of the great- - and most important- - hoops books.
Ralph
Interesting story of the colorful life of an NBA star, who was also a star at the "other" basketball - street ball.
I remember enjoying at the time.
RK Byers
great book! they railroaded this dude...
M. Newman
A great biography of Connie Hawkins.
Trevor Riehle-ludtke
Trevor Riehle-ludtke marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Katerina Montaniel
Katerina Montaniel marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Lucas
Lucas added it
Jun 17, 2014
Chris Whittaker
Chris Whittaker marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Rachel Willis
Rachel Willis marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Noud Buenen
Noud Buenen marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Rubens Suzuki
Rubens Suzuki marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Mr. Kovach
Mr. Kovach marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Ty
Ty marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Doug
Doug marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Trent Meier
Trent Meier marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Michael Jordan
Michael Jordan marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Relationships that Work: The Power of Conscious Living Matt Connell: Against a sea of troubles Making the Connection: The Peaceful Rise of China's Telecommunications Giants King of Infinite Space: A Murder Mystery The Seventeen Traditions