Start by marking “Gossip from Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #6)” as Want to Read:
Gossip from Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #6)

Gossip from Thrush Green (Thrush Green #6)

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  527 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
GOSSIP FROM THRUSH GREEN returns readers to the delightful English village, neighbor to Fairacre, for a golden summer. But this sleepy, pristine setting conceals a flurry of activity amongst the villagers. Rumor has it that Mr. Venables is considering retirement just as the village's teacher is about to make an important decision. Molly Curdle prepares for a new baby. The ...more
Published May 15th 2002 by Mariner Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Gossip from Thrush Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gossip from Thrush Green

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickFooling Ewe by Mike DemersThree Bags Full by Leonie SwannAll Creatures Great and Small by James HerriotA Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami
Sheep on the cover
20th out of 46 books — 39 voters
Village School by Miss ReadArthur's Britain by Leslie AlcockReturn to Thrush Green by Miss ReadGossip from Thrush Green by Miss ReadAffairs at Thrush Green by Miss Read
Common Reader Catalog Part II
4th out of 91 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

booklady
This was my first visit to Thrush Green, one of those idyllic places we all dream of discovering, if not actually dwelling in. Hopefully this isn’t my last visit.

In Gossip from Thrush Green it is early summer and the residents are primarily concerned with the weather, each other and plans for the immediate future, more or less in that order. Although an idealized view of humanity, this cozy, feel good novel is thoroughly delightful. I listened to Gwen Watford’s reading and she was perfect. My on
QNPoohBear
Changes are coming to Thrush Green... This story has way too many modern references, including smoking pot. The story focused a bit too much on the two teachers and their changes in the beginning. I didn't find their plot very interesting. I was also not interested in the new neighbors renting The Tullivers. My favorite character is Dotty Harmer, the eccentric animal-loving spinster (um me in several decades?). I was happy to see her included in the plot but sad at the direction the story takes ...more
Lori
Dec 04, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it
Any trip to Thrush Green is at least a 4 star for me. I apparently read this one out of order. I thought it was #4, but it was #6. I wondered about some significant changes in some of the villagers lives that the author seemed to gloss over. Now I must backtrack. This may be the only instance of backtracking that I don't mind. Obviously a transition book but still very enjoyable. And except for the brief intrusion of some - HORRORs! - pot smoking outsiders to Thrush Green (who were soon dispatch ...more
Kate
Oct 13, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
"Gossip from Thrush Green returns readers to the delightful English village, neighbor to Fairacre, for a golden summer. But this sleepy, pristine setting conceals a flurry of activity amongst the villagers. Rumor has it that Mr. Venables is considering retirement just as the village's teacher is about to make an important decision. Molly Curdle prepares for a new baby. The kindly vicar, Charles Henstock, works on his sermon -- quite unaware of the disaster that will overtake him. However, there ...more
Jo
May 12, 2011 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miss-read, 2011
Any book that begins by eulogising the lost art of afternoon tea is bound to be a lovely read, and this book is no exception. I'm sure life never was as perfect as it's painted in Miss Read's books, but it's nice to imagine that it might be. Reading this book is a lovely, gentle way of catching up with characters that feel like old friends.
Linda
Nov 02, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, england
Lovely slice of village life. Nothing overly terrible ever happens, and everyone takes care of everyone else.
Cynthia
Aug 16, 2015 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love Miss Read's books. They are sweet and honest and true - cozies without the pesky murders. Details of English village life (this book was written in 1955) and specifically the life of a country schoolteacher. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and if the day ever comes that I get to go to England a country village ala Misses Read and Marple is high on my list.
Mandolin
Feb 16, 2012 Mandolin rated it really liked it
The villagers of Thrush Green may enjoy gossiping about their neighbors and sharing little tidbits across the hedge, but they show their truly good hearts when they band together against a variety of disturbances that threaten the peaceful village life - from a devastating fire to a noisy group of visitors - and support each other as they make difficult decisions about retirement and family choices. Their gossip is only another symptom of the care they have for each other and it provides the rea ...more
Janine Precey
Aug 17, 2015 Janine Precey rated it liked it
Read as part of a set with 'News from Thrush Green'. Charming stories that transport the reader to a gentler time in small town Britain where the biggest problems are new tea room hours and decisions about retirement. Enjoyable and relaxing, a nice change of pace.
Heather
Jul 31, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
Having spent more time in Fairacre over the years, it took me a bit to get up to speed on the residents of Thrush Green again. Miss Read is always a complete delight and easy to read way past a suitable bedtime. She joins a select group of authors that I carelessly burn the midnight oil with no thought for the morrow.
Christine
Jan 25, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
This is the kind of a book I'd call pleasant, for lack of a better word. Good lpcal color (it doesn't matter whether the village is real or not--it feels like it should be; a place where people are happy with their lot and nice to each other.
Stephanie
Feb 11, 2013 Stephanie rated it liked it
This particular installment in the Thrush Green series is my least favorite to date. While enjoyable, the book lacks an overall story arc to drive the characters along. Gossip from Thrush Green is, instead, a transitional book for the series, as it spends much of its time (presumably) setting up characters for future events. For example, the two longtime teachers of the school, Miss Fogerty and Miss Watson, begin to prepare for their retirement away from Thrush Green without actually reaching re ...more
Deborah
Aug 08, 2014 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's the same, and yet it's different. And this is exactly what village life is like.
Tracy
Nov 28, 2007 Tracy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anglophiles, Janeites
Every book I've read by Miss Read would qualify as "quaint" and most are delightful. The only drawback comes in reading too many of her novels in close succession...they start to blur in one's mind. But they hold up much better than many other series. Nothing tremendous happens -- it's small town, or rather village, life with lots of quirky characters and some lovely descriptions of the natural landscape.

I especially liked the character Dotty Harmer -- an eccentric old lady living on a farm wit
Tony
Mar 12, 2014 Tony rated it liked it
I feel quite old after closing this book. Can’t say I enjoyed it, can’t say I disliked it. It is what it is, gossiping tales at Thrush Green including the all-English country lifestyle aroma with lots and lots of tea.
Sharon
Mar 11, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing
I just love these books. Total immersion. I begin to read and it's like I've just come into an old friend's kitchen. I may not have seen them for a while, but it only takes a moment for them to make me feel as though I saw them yesterday.
Rupapv
Feb 02, 2016 Rupapv rated it it was amazing
Lovely story as usual. Quite calming.
Hamsa N
Feb 04, 2016 Hamsa N rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot is set in a place called Thrush Green, revolving around the lives of it's inhabitants, mostly oldies. The simplicity is so warming that it transported me back to my childhood when life was indeed simple and people tended to each other. The humor was subtle and the narration places you amongst the characters, virtually.

Truly, a great start to the year!
Irina
Aug 12, 2007 Irina rated it it was amazing
As an avid and unashamed anglophile, I loved this book -- it's a gentle, enjoyable read where you follow the happenings in a little village in England: jumble sales, doctors who make house calls, thatched roof cottages, walks along country lanes, a 2-room schoolhouse, fireside visits with neighbors over tea, etc. with I've been reading and re-reading the series for about 10 years now.
Marlies
Apr 11, 2007 Marlies rated it it was amazing
Even cornier than Binchy, if that's possible. Ultimate life in small English village circa 1960ish books--there's a whole series! Love them love them love them. A few times, when we've been in the car, I've turned them on briefly (on tape) and Jamie was very, very afraid. : )
Olena Brovko
Jun 30, 2014 Olena Brovko rated it liked it
So English book. :)
Judy
Jun 18, 2009 Judy rated it it was amazing
Another enjoyable Miss Read book, about the people and their happenings in the small Cotswold village of Thrush Green (some of the books are about Fairacre, also). Miss Read is an astute observer of people and their foibles.
Joy
Aug 22, 2013 Joy rated it really liked it
This book is up to the standard of all Miss Read's Thrush Green books. She has many characters who are really nice people I feel I would like to know, especially Charles the modest and saintly Vicar.
Cera
Jan 01, 2012 Cera rated it really liked it
I was particularly happy about the schoolteachers who have slowly become real friends over the books, and how they decide to keep their lives together post-retirement.
Beth
Mar 08, 2011 Beth rated it it was amazing
Another treasure from Miss Read. (If anyone doesn't like Miss Read don't tell me about it. I adore her.)
Sharon
Another nice little tale, but I didn't get into it like news from Thrush Green.
Jennie Bauer
Jul 28, 2008 Jennie Bauer rated it it was amazing
Always a pleasure to visit Thrush Green!
Polly
Sep 24, 2014 Polly rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, nice-books, adult
Definitely one of my favourites!
Joan
May 17, 2015 Joan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ms-read
Always enjoy a visit to Thrush Green!
Karen Bouchard
Karen Bouchard marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
  • Music In The Hills (Dering Family, #2)
  • The D. Case or The Truth About The Mystery Of Edwin Drood
  • Pilgrim's Inn (Eliots of Damerosehay, #2)
  • Miss Happiness and Miss Flower
  • Everything I Need to Know About Christmas I Learned From a Little Golden Book
  • Hot Water
  • The Mandelbaum Gate
  • The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family Life
  • Mary Poppins and the House Next Door (Mary Poppins, #6)
  • Theology of His Body / Theology of Her Body
  • A Soldier Surrenders: The Conversion of Saint Camillus de Lellis
  • Letters from the Desert
  • The Soul of The Apostolate
Dora Jessie Saint MBE née Shafe (born 17 April 1913), best known by the pen name Miss Read, was an English novelist, by profession a schoolmistress. Her pseudonym was derived from her mother's maiden name. She began writing for several journals after World War II and worked as a scriptwriter for the BBC.

She wrote a series of novels from 1955 to 1996. Her work centred on two fictional English villa
More about Miss Read...

Thrush Green (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #1)
  • Winter in Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #2)
  • News from Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #3)
  • Battles at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #4)
  • Return to Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #5)
  • Affairs at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #7)
  • At Home in Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #8)
  • The School at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #9)
  • Friends at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #10)
  • Celebrations at Thrush Green