Start by marking “Smokescreen” as Want to Read:
Smokescreen

Smokescreen

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  230 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This is a story from the long-ago days of Colombian marijuana smuggling--long ago, because most of the pot now smoked in the United States is grown domestically, and the top narcotics import from Colombia is cocaine. Author Robert Sabbag tells the tale of Allen Long, who got involved in this unsavory business in the 1970s because he wanted to provide high-quality cannabis ...more
Published November 8th 2002 by Canongate Books Ltd (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Smokescreen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smokescreen

Joe
Nov 30, 2008 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: outlaws, libertarians. moms
Recommended to Joe by: Sunshine Grrl
Ha Ha, I think I knew the hero of this story.. Why isn't this a movie? It's about the first "dudes" to smuggle Columbian Gold into the USA. Insane pilots, righteous dopers, bandidos and cops--all here and an easy quick read.
I took off a star for the author's occasional flippant attitude
towards the subject as well as some cultural faux-pas ( he does NOT know his sixties rock and roll man"
quote:
"Entire Ivy League Hockey teams were playing games while tripping on acid. It's sometimes difficult to r
Amy
Dec 05, 2013 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves:
Got this book from a friend and decided to read it. The back said that it "reads like an action movie". I like books of different genres, I thought it would be quite interesting and entertaining especially during my long commute to work.

However I was put off by the story. Of course it's about drugs and smuggling, but every other line reminds the reader of how high Allen (the main character) is. For example, the lights down below from the airplane window look funny because he snorted coke all the
Punk
Feb 27, 2012 Punk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Non-Fiction. Supposedly a true account of Allen Long and his adventures smuggling marijuana out of Colombia, but this was in the 1970s and all the participants were regularly fucked up on weed and coke and quaaludes, and the book was published in 2002, and Sabbag doesn't explain how he came by this information or when his interviews(?) were conducted, so, whatever. Its status as non-fiction is questionable is all I'm saying. I read it like an action-thriller, and it easily works on that level. I ...more
Melissa
This is the intriguiging true story of Allen Long, a very young man who aspires to make a name for himself in the music and/or movie business in the late 1970's and has the brilliant idea to do it by filming a documentary- inserting himself in the infant marijuana smuggling business between the U.S. and Colombia. This was at a time before cartels and guns and murder-- mostly a bunch of peace/love dopeheads who saw it as their mission to bring pot to the masses (and ensure their own stable supply ...more
Oldnomad
Apr 16, 2016 Oldnomad rated it liked it
Interesting (true) story quite well presented with just a touch of dry humour. But at times a bit long winded.

Interesting to hear the CIA involvement encouraging the trade for (Cuban) political reasons.
Chris
May 03, 2015 Chris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book lumbers along like the slow moving DC-3 used to transport the dope. These are the most boring outlaws ever committed to print.
Darrell Austin
Sep 18, 2014 Darrell Austin rated it it was amazing
Great read takes you on a journey..
Steve
Feb 03, 2014 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I was expecting either a laugh-a-minute conflagration or a really intense read. Instead, the main protagonist quickly progresses from stress-filled smuggling to the dull (with brief moments of intense life-or-death decisions) aspects of being a major supplier who relies on his network of cronies to continue his enterprise.

Thankfully, the book wasn't overly verbose (unlike my review) and I was able to finish before it became painful.

Would probably make a great movie, though. Baby boomers will lov
Trawets
Oct 10, 2010 Trawets rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smoke screen by Robert Sabbag, follows Allen Long's journey from wannabe documentry film maker to marjuana smuggler to drug dealer to eventual honest citie once more.
Told in an easy laconic amoral style it's set mainly in Columbia in the late 1960's and 1970's but before the drug cartels turned the country into a killing field.
If you're prepared to suspend judgement then hop aboard for an at times hairy flight, nervous air passengers may want to skip the first chapter.
Gavin
Oct 02, 2008 Gavin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Could I first mention that whoever added this book to Goodreads is a supremely unfunny human being. Read the name in full: Robert Paper Sabbag sonds like Robert papers a bag. Ho, ho, I don't think. His name is Robert Sabbag, he also wrote Snowblind.

The title is also all one word, for your information, that is it is Smokescreen.

Anyway, this is another biography of a drug smuggler with the names changed to protect the guilty.
David
Loaded: A Misadventure on the Marijuana Trail by Robert Sabbag (Little, Brown & Co. 1992) (364.1) is a book about marijuana smuggling from Columbia to the USA in the 1960's and 1970's. Sabbag's previous adventure was the book Snowblind: A Brief Career in the Cocaine Trade and was about smuggling cocaine. The book is a grand adventure for those of us who missed the trip. My rating: 6.5/10, finished 1/23/11.
David
Loaded: A Misadventure on the Marijuana Trail by Robert Sabbag (Little, Brown & Co. 1992) is a book about marijuana smuggling from Columbia to the USA in the 1960's and 1970's. Sabbag's previous adventure was the book Snowblind, and was about smuggling cocaine. The book is a grand adventure for those of us who missed the trip. My rating: 6.5/10, finished 1/23/11.
Gavin
Jun 16, 2008 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Journalism cum biography (no sniggers please). Sabbag writes about various incidents in the life of a drug smuggler with a great deal of style. His prose moves along at a rapid pace and the book is over before you know it, at least it was for me. This review would apply equally to Snowblind.
Julie
Sep 23, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hibernation
I had to return this to the library before finishing it, but I will get back to it. What I've read so far is excellent.
Alicia
Sep 09, 2012 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining, interesting information on airplanes. Took 50+ pages to find a rhythm.
Tica Perri
Dec 29, 2009 Tica Perri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
have I chosen the wrong career field?
Marc Rocket
Mar 08, 2013 Marc Rocket rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I'll read it again.
Ken
Jan 28, 2012 Ken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good read.
Erik
Jan 19, 2009 Erik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME
Kanika Vohra
Kanika Vohra rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2016
june baker
june baker rated it did not like it
Apr 26, 2016
John Gill
John Gill rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Rob Jennings
Rob Jennings rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Dave
Dave added it
Mar 18, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Rory Foster
Rory Foster rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Cam
Cam marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
  • Pot Planet: Adventures in Global Marijuana Culture
  • Reefer Madness: A History of Marijuana
  • The Howard Marks Book of Dope Stories
  • High Society: The Central Role of Mind-Altering Drugs in History, Science, and Culture
  • The Pleasure's All Mine:  Memoir of a Professional Submissive
  • The Hasheesh Eater: Being Passages from the Life of a Pythagorean
  • Damn Near Dead: An Anthology of Geezer Noir
  • A Spy's Journey: A CIA Memoir
  • Psychosomatic
  • The Pot Book: A Complete Guide to Cannabis: Its Role in Medicine, Politics, Science, and Culture
  • Iced
  • The Great Game: The Myth and Reality of Espionage
  • Greetings From Afghanistan, Send More Ammo: Dispatches from Taliban Country
  • How to Spot a Liar: Why People Don't Tell the Truth...and How You Can Catch Them
  • Orange Sunshine: The Brotherhood of Eternal Love and Its Quest to Spread Peace, Love, and Acid to the World
  • Bongwater
  • Moist
  • Awaydays
Robert Sabbag is an American author and journalist. The memoir Down Around Midnight, is about a fatal plane crash he survived in 1979. Sabbag is a member of the Authors Guild and Writers Guild of America. His film Witness Protection was nominated for two Golden Globe Awards, including Best Picture.
More about Robert Sabbag...