Blank-133x176
Smokescreen

Robert Sabbag

Smokescreen

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  11 reviews
This is a story from the long-ago days of Colombian marijuana smuggling--long ago, because most of the pot now smoked in the United States is grown domestically, and the top narcotics import from Colombia is cocaine. Author Robert Sabbag tells the tale of Allen Long, who got involved in this unsavory business in the 1970s because he wanted to provide high-quality cannabis...more
Published November 8th 2002 by Canongate Books Ltd (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Smokescreen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smokescreen

Amy
Got this book from a friend and decided to read it. The back said that it "reads like an action movie". I like books of different genres, I thought it would be quite interesting and entertaining especially during my long commute to work.

However I was put off by the story. Of course it's about drugs and smuggling, but every other line reminds the reader of how high Allen (the main character) is. For example, the lights down below from the airplane window look funny because he snorted coke all the...more
Punk
Non-Fiction. Supposedly a true account of Allen Long and his adventures smuggling marijuana out of Colombia, but this was in the 1970s and all the participants were regularly fucked up on weed and coke and quaaludes, and the book was published in 2002, and Sabbag doesn't explain how he came by this information or when his interviews(?) were conducted, so, whatever. Its status as non-fiction is questionable is all I'm saying. I read it like an action-thriller, and it easily works on that level. I...more
Melissa
This is the intriguiging true story of Allen Long, a very young man who aspires to make a name for himself in the music and/or movie business in the late 1970's and has the brilliant idea to do it by filming a documentary- inserting himself in the infant marijuana smuggling business between the U.S. and Colombia. This was at a time before cartels and guns and murder-- mostly a bunch of peace/love dopeheads who saw it as their mission to bring pot to the masses (and ensure their own stable supply...more
Joe
Nov 30, 2008 Joe rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: outlaws, libertarians. moms
Recommended to Joe by: Sunshine Grrl
Ha Ha, I think I knew the hero of this story.. Why isn't this a movie? It's about the first "dudes" to smuggle Columbian Gold into the USA. Insane pilots, righteous dopers, bandidos and cops--all here and an easy quick read.
I took off a star for the author's occasional flippant attitude
towards the subject as well as some cultural faux-pas ( he does NOT know his sixties rock and roll man"
quote:
"Entire Ivy League Hockey teams were playing games while tripping on acid. It's sometimes difficult to r...more
Darrell Austin
Great read takes you on a journey..
Trawets
Smoke screen by Robert Sabbag, follows Allen Long's journey from wannabe documentry film maker to marjuana smuggler to drug dealer to eventual honest citie once more.
Told in an easy laconic amoral style it's set mainly in Columbia in the late 1960's and 1970's but before the drug cartels turned the country into a killing field.
If you're prepared to suspend judgement then hop aboard for an at times hairy flight, nervous air passengers may want to skip the first chapter.
David Ward
Loaded: A Misadventure on the Marijuana Trail - by Robert Sabbag (Little, Brown & Co. 1992)is a book about marijuana smuggling from Columbia to the USA in the 1960's and 1970's. Sabbag's previous adventure was the book Snowblind, and was about smuggling cocaine. The book is a grand adventure for those of us who missed the trip. Read 1/23/11 5.0.
Gavin
Journalism cum biography (no sniggers please). Sabbag writes about various incidents in the life of a drug smuggler with a great deal of style. His prose moves along at a rapid pace and the book is over before you know it, at least it was for me. This review would apply equally to Snowblind.
Julie
I had to return this to the library before finishing it, but I will get back to it. What I've read so far is excellent.
Tica Perri
have I chosen the wrong career field?
Morpheus
Morpheus marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Milantropio
Milantropio marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Mandee Wyrick
Mandee Wyrick marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Zapata Parra
Zapata Parra marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Braden Z
Braden Z marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Snowblind: A Brief Career in the Cocaine Trade Down Around Midnight: A Memoir of Crash and Survival Smokescreen / Snowblind Snowblind Loaded