Start by marking “Clifford's First Halloween” as Want to Read:
Clifford's First Halloween

Clifford's First Halloween (Clifford the Big Red Dog)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  506 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
It's a brand new Clifford boo-k for Halloween! Little ones will love the big red dog as a tiny puppy full of surprises too small for masks, too small to be a really scary ghost, but just the right size to sneak into a pumpkin and turn it into a barking jack-o-lantern. Full color.
Published September 1st 1995 by Cartwheel (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Clifford's First Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clifford's First Halloween

Kelley Bennett
This is part of the Clifford, the big red dog series but clifford is a puppy in this story. And who doesn't love a cute puppy story? The students will love this halloween story. There is very little text on each page and the students can also tell what is going on by using the illustrations for reference. I would read this book the the class at Halloween.
Amanda Casteel
Author: Norman Bridwell

Genre: Fiction Picture Book

Publication Information: Cartwheel Books: 1995

Reading Level: Early

Topic/Theme: dogs, halloween

Issues Addressed: I find no social issues being addressed in this book.

Classroom Uses: Read Aloud, Individual Reading

Summary: This is the memory of Clifford's first Halloween. His experiences with costumes, haunted houses, and food are all in this book.

Text and image: the illustrations are colorful but I do not think they support the text very well.

Lite
Rosa Cline
Oct 27, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, halloween
This was a nice Clifford the little red puppy book. How he was scared for his first Halloween but Emily Elizabeth helped him through.
Josiah
Oct 28, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Norman Bridwell's simple stories are always better than I anticipate, filled with nice unexpected moments of original humor, and always lined with the affection that Emily Elizabeth feels for her beloved pet dog, who grew from a runt destined to die into the biggest puppy on earth simply because she loved him.
This look at Clifford's first Halloween is charming, and created with significant skill on the part of Norman Bridwell, as always. I would give at least one and a half stars to Clifford's
Ina
Nov 06, 2011 Ina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-reads
Halloween, a cute blond girl, and a giant red dog - what more is there to say? I have a Clifford finger puppet and so, I had an assistant hold the book while I read the story and puppet Clifford added his personal comments. The kids loved it. When Emily Elizabeth settles on a ghost costume for Puppy Clifford, I pulled out one for the finger puppet that matched. I like Clifford books because of their simplicity and their great kids appeal.
Amanda
Nov 01, 2008 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got this for the week leading up to Halloween to get my 2 1/2 y/o into the spirit, or at least introduce the concept to him of Halloween. It's a pretty cute book. I'm never impressed by the illustrations in the Clifford books, though. They always seem very dated. Maybe I'm spoiled by the animated PBS show. This was kind of fun, but not a great story. We didn't keep it more than a week.
Blakeley Norris
Apr 27, 2010 Blakeley Norris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holidays
This book is about Clifford's first Halloween. It shows all of the things that he did his first Halloween. He was too small for most of the costuems, but Emily made him one out of a tissue...he was a ghost. He had a good first Halloween and now that he's all grown-up and big. Now he helps out with Halloween and helps the other children to have fun.
Brie Tennyson
This book is definitely written for a young child, who needs to be read aloud to (probably around 3 years old). It is about Clifford's first Halloween and how Emily Elizabeth dresses him up and he gets to experience Halloween. This book is a very easy read with fun colorful pictures.
Mecca Morrison
All the Clifford books are good for young children. Most of them are good for children who can’t read yet and should be read to. Children 3 to 5 probably. This particular book is describing Clifford’s first Halloween when Emily Elizabeth dresses him up.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 17516 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 1.9 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Jan 14, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holidays
This book would be great for the youngest of students. This book shows all the "traditions" that surround Halloween. This would be very interesting to students because of the pictures in this book, too.
Jamie
Oct 24, 2012 Jamie rated it really liked it
Cute! I must say, I'm a fan of Clifford as a small puppy. One of my favorite Clifford books :) Good for level one readers and especially good around Halloween. :)
Brittany White
While Clifford books are not my favorite, I know children enjoy them. This would be a great addition to a Halloween bookshelf for students to access.
Julee
Children from multiple classes broke out in spontaneous applause after the read aloud. We all love Clifford big or small.
kate
Oct 03, 2012 kate rated it it was amazing
Emily Elizabeth narrates the story of Clifford's first Halloween, when he is a tiny puppy.
Theresa
Apr 10, 2012 Theresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
good early reader, using texet to relate to the television show, a cute childhood story book.
Mary
May 22, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this with Nicole. She really liked it because it showed the changes of the season.
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
Reading Clifford books aloud is one of those things I do without real pleasure.
Bridget
If your kids enjoy the Clifford show, they will enjoy this book.
Anca Maria
Jul 12, 2013 Anca Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book.
Dan
Apr 15, 2013 Dan rated it liked it
Shelves: clifford, halloween
1 copy
Christine Severt
Christine Severt rated it really liked it
Lyn-Mara
Lyn-Mara rated it really liked it
Katie
Katie added it
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Morgan Louks
Morgan Louks rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Jocelyn
Jocelyn rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
  • Happy Halloween, Biscuit!
  • Corduroy's Best Halloween Ever!
  • Franklin's Halloween
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Ghost of the Forest
  • The Littlest Pumpkin
  • Dragon's Halloween
  • Pumpkin Pumpkin
  • T. Rex Trick-or-Treats
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat!
  • Dora Loves Boots
  • The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin (with CD)
  • Boo, Bunny!
  • A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog
  • The Witches' Supermarket
  • Boomer Goes to School
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • Dora's Book of Manners (Dora the Explorer, #5)
  • Here Comes Santa Cat
Norman Bridwell is an American author and cartoonist, best-known for the Clifford the Big Red Dog series of children's books. Bridwell attended John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, Indiana. He currently resides on Martha's Vineyard, MA, where he continues to write an average of two books a year.

More about Norman Bridwell...

Clifford the Big Red Dog (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Clifford, We Love You (Clifford the Big Red Dog)
  • Clifford and the Big Parade (Clifford)
  • Clifford and the Big Storm (Clifford)
  • Clifford and the Grouchy Neighbors