Start by marking “Clifford The Small Red Puppy” as Want to Read:
Clifford The Small Red Puppy

Clifford The Small Red Puppy (Clifford the Big Red Dog)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  7,972 ratings  ·  58 reviews
How did Clifford the Big Red Dog come to live with Emily Elizabeth? You and your child can find out together as you read about the tiny red puppy that grew and grew. Featuring the unique illustrations and humor of Norman Bridwell, this story introduces your child to the reality that owning and caring for a pet requires a lot of responsibility and can bring some surprises! ...more
Published December 1st 1985 by Cartwheel (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Clifford The Small Red Puppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clifford The Small Red Puppy

Stacy Hait
Clifford series books are among my favorite for young children as they send positive messages that children relate to and children are naturally captivated by this adorable charming character so they really pay attention to the underlying messages the books convey. My daughter loved them. She's outgrown them but she will still tell you that she loves Clifford the big red dog.
Elaine
Clifford the small red puppy is the runt of the litter! But not in the eyes of Emily Elizabeth. Emily doesn't care how small he is, she loves him just the same! She feeds him with her doll's baby bottle, gets him the smallest collar that she can find and showers him with love and affection. Worried that Clifford won't survive the winter, Emily Elizabeth takes him into her bed one night and tells him that she wishes that he would grow to be a big healthy dog and she also tells him that she loves ...more
Sarah Sammis
My children love the Clifford cartoons that run on PBS: Clifford the Big Red Dog and Clifford's Puppy Days. They also enjoy Clifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Birdwell. A common question for both of them is: "How did Clifford get so big when he was so small?" Clifford the Small Red Puppy answers the question and if I had just bothered to check out the book sooner from my library, I could have given my kids the answer quicker!

Clifford as anyone who has watched the Puppy Days cartoon knows was a t
Julie Barrett
Clifford the small red puppy by Norman Bridwell
This audio book has first section with turn page signals. Second half is without the signals.
Emily Elizabeth is the reader and she describes the story. She tells her friend how she got Clifford.
The story follows how the puppy grows up and how they learned along the way.
Brandon Menjivar
what I think about this book is that's its very interesting it talks about a little red dog named Clifford he grows up really big and gets to be the big red dog of the city. I hope u guys enjoy it as much as I did but I don't know if its a good story to read. Reason I say that is because its kind of boring well to me I might be wrong who knows but yeah you guys will like it I just don't like the way the setting is placed.
Danaschaeffer
This book is for beginning readers. Children love clifford because he is the easy to spot red dog, that is consistent throughout the pages of each of his books. This book in particular tells the story of how Emily found Clifford and adopted him as her dog. This book is relatable to children who have pets at home, or may interest children into getting a house pet. I would recommend this book to any beginner reader because it contains simple sentences on each page that reflect the pictures. Repeti ...more
Clifford's beginning! I think the kids will sit still for this since most of them probably already know the characters.
Kaethe
I'm just kind of indifferent to Clifford. I'd rather watch the series (if I have to) than read the books.
Henrik Almondsen
THE BEST BOOK EVER! THE BEST BOOK EVER! Must read so cute Clifford is awesome guys!
Andrea
Good Clifford book that holds up to being read a lot.

Misty Kincade
Literary Awards: N/A
According to AR
Book Level: 2.1
Interest Level: Lower Grades (K-3)

A fun-filled read for young children! Emily Elizabeth shares the story about how her dog, Clifford, came to be so big.
America's biggest, reddest, and most lovable dog is brought to life in these simple books to teach, inspire, and motivate young readers about various aspects of life. Clifford the Small Red Puppy is a ideal read for students who adore stories about animals and prefer reading with interesting illu
Anaeka
A is hooked to the Clifford books, really hooked. These are the first non rhyming stories she is sitting through after she started moving. Small red puppy is not the best since A loves the big red dog to show up in every page but she warmed up to it pretty fast. We like it too. There is humor in most pages and a kids oriented narrative. A loves to point out to Martha (I don't think I ever pointed that to her) which makes me think maybe she gets the story? O wait, she doesn't laugh at the funny p ...more
Robert
Jun 09, 2012 Robert rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: flowers22
Shelves: fiction, dog, series, 1-9, own, cfc
I'm not generally inclined to liking Clifford books, but this one was okay. It explained how Emily Elizabeth ended up getting Clifford. He was a runt and on his way out. She wished that he would grow; he did. So, it is apparent that it is all Emily Elizabeth's fault that we ended up with this series. ;)

This was definitely more interesting than most of these in this series.

(I've been working all day, but this (reading this book) is the one thing I have to show for it. Sigh . . . )
Beth Ambri
Growing up I always enjoyed reading Clifford books and one of my favorites was Clifford the Small Red Puppy. In it Emily Elizabeth, Clifford's owner, describes to her friend how she got Clifford, and how he was so small at first but grew bigger and bigger each day. I enjoyed this book because I loved animals and had a dog of my own. I used to wish she would grow as big as Clifford so I could ride on her back like Emily Elizabeth did with her dog.
Mariah Christensen
First time reading Clifford's puppy story.
Josiah
Readers will very strongly relate to the feelings of Emily Elizabeth for the small dog Clifford, who as the tiny runt of the litter is expected not to survive for long. Emily Elizabeth's desperate wish for her dog to live will strike a chord in the heart of many, and the results of the wish are marvelously heartening and uplifting.
Destany
This book is about a little red puppy that gets adopted by this girl Emily Elizabeth. She names the puppy Clifford the big red dog and clifford grows so big that he doesnt fit into any house or anything. What i liiked about this book was that it was about a big red dog lol.
Jeremiah
The story of Clifford when he was just a pup. Clifford is just like my younger twin brothers, he was small for a very short while but he soon grew very large and will remain humongous for the rest of his life.
...love you guys!
This is a good book for students who will have dogs at home. This book takes us through the journey of how Emily Elizabeth got Clifford. Many students will remember how they got their dogs while reading this.
Theresa
good early reader, using texet to relate to the television show a cute story about the power of love a good early reader
a cute story about the power of love a good early reader
Joni
This book is still very cute, the writing is good, the kids love the details about how small Clifford was and how he got so big. They want to hear this again and again.
Deborah Harris
Dec 15, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a15, ar-2
AR Quiz No. 14611 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.1 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Lauren
This book is great for children especially when they learn to start reading. It teaches great morals and ideals for everyone to have and great general life lessons.
Michelle
Clifford the big, red dog is such a classic character. In this book, Emily Elizabeth tells the story of how she found Clifford! It's cute and very funny.
Shannon Clark
Listened to this on Tales2Go as audio book. GREAT audio!! Sounds of Clifford barking! :)

Music in the background-lots of noise effects. Awesome!
Karley
A great story to help inspire children to write what they know. It is also great for a fun read aloud about pets.
Sheila
Nothing overly special, this is still a cute story which tells how Clifford the Big Red Dog got to be so big.
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • Just Me and My Puppy (Little Critter)
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Curious George Flies a Kite
  • Curious George Rides a Bike
  • Franklin Is Bossy
  • The Lion King (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
Norman Bridwell is an American author and cartoonist, best-known for the Clifford the Big Red Dog series of children's books. Bridwell attended John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, Indiana. He currently resides on Martha's Vineyard, MA, where he continues to write an average of two books a year.

More about Norman Bridwell...
Clifford the Big Red Dog Clifford's Halloween Clifford The Firehouse Dog Clifford's Birthday Party Clifford's Puppy Days