Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “How to Get Ideas ” as Want to Read:
How to Get Ideas
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

How to Get Ideas

by
3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  930 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Where do ideas come from, anyway? Why do some people get so many of them? Is there some secret technique to getting more of them?
How to Get Ideas answers these questions. And shows you--no matter your age or skill, your job or training--how to come up with more ideas, faster and easier.

First, Jack Foster tells you how to condition your mind and become "idea-prone;" how to
...more
Paperback, 208 pages
Published October 21st 1996 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published September 30th 1996)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about How to Get Ideas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get Ideas

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 2,235)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Sebah Al-Ali
Mar 04, 2010 Sebah Al-Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Inspiring. Enjoyable. I really wished there were more chapters/pages to read.

It's THE book to read when you feel demotivated or are looking for a new start.

I LEARNED:
Quoting Young, to generate creative ideas:
1. "Gather its raw materials"
2. "masticate those materials.”
3. "You drop the whole subject and put the problem out of your mind as completely as you can"
4. "Out of nowhere the idea will appear"
5. "“take your little newborn idea out into the world of reality" and watch it grow

Quo
...more
Anh Ngọc Vũ
Dec 13, 2015 Anh Ngọc Vũ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anh Ngọc by: Phương Phạm
Từ tiêu đề đã khiến cho người đọc tò mò. Tại sao một nửa của 13 lại là 8? Đó chính là vẻ đẹp và nét hấp dẫn khó cưỡng của ý tưởng sáng tạo khi được cơi nới khỏi những bó buộc của nguyên tắc.
Cuốn sách bàn về bản chất của ý tưởng, chúng là kết tinh của những liên kết từ những ý tưởng và concept khác nhau trong cuộc sống. Tìm ra ý tưởng chính là hành trình tìm ra mối liên kết vô hình và hữu hình đó.
5 điều quan trọng nhất để tìm ra ý tưởng:
- Biết cách đặt ra câu hỏi: đừng đặt những câu hỏi vô ích, h
...more
Amna
Jul 18, 2014 Amna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
أملك هذا الكتاب منذ مدة طويلة ولا أدري حقا لم أجلت قراءته حتى هذه اللحظة، ربما لخشيتي أن تكون الترجمة دون المستوى وذلك لمروري بتجربة سابقة سيئة لقراءة كتاب من نفس النوعية أصابتني ترجمته المريعة بعقدة زالت أخيرا بعد قراءتي لهذا الكتاب.

الكتاب رائع بكل المقاييس .. أفكاره سلسة ومرتبة وأسلوبه شائق .. مفيد وملهم جدا .. خرجت منه بأفكار واقتباسات ومعرفة لا بأس بها .. وبحماس إضافي لالتقاط تلك الأفكار الطائرة التي تحوم حولنا في كل وقت .. الترجمة جاءت جيدة وأوصلت المضمون ببساطة ويسر وبدون فذلكة ..
أسجل إعجا
...more
Rosie Nguyễn
Jul 26, 2015 Rosie Nguyễn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy to read, funny, and good book. Highly recommended for those whose work needs creativity.

It took Jack Foster 3 years to finish this book. I think it's worth it. Being a writer continuously seeking for new ideas, I have applied some of the techniques in this book through my writing unconsciously. But this book collects all the methods to find new ideas systematically, with witty quotes and stories, it reminds all the creators that: ideas are like love, they are all around. All we need to
...more
Nargizazimli
Nov 30, 2015 Nargizazimli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ENJOYABLE AND FUN!
Amal
Feb 17, 2012 Amal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

من أجمل الكتب التي قرأتها و فصلت ماهية التفكير

رااااااااااااااااائع

توجد به الكثير من النصائح والقصص و الأفكار كي تحصل بها على الأفكار

أجمل نصيحة ظفرت بها من هذا الكتاب

اقرأ كل يوم قصيدة و مقالة و قصة قصيرة

فأنت لا تعلم متى ستصدم في عقلة فكرة مقالة مع قصيدة قرأتها قبل 10 أعوام

لتخرج بفكرة جديدة ؟؟!!!

لا تفوتوا فرصة قرائته

رباح حسن
Jul 02, 2011 رباح حسن rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب جميل وسهل وممتلئ بالافكار الرائعة لا يستغرق اكثر من جلستين لقراءته
وهو اضافة جديدة لكل قارئ
انصح بقراءته
Nitish
Jul 29, 2014 Nitish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tell me why do people often read Self Help when they can read this book.
Orjowan S
Dec 12, 2015 Orjowan S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
على الرغم من أننا في عصر سهولة الحصول على المعلومات بالإضافة إلى سرعة توفرها، غير أن غالبا ما يكون الحصول على الأفكار، هو أصعب ما يواجهه الذين يعملون بالمجالات الإبداعية أو من يسعون إلى التطوير في المجالات الإدارية والتعليمية وما إلى ذلك.. لذلك فإن اتباع طرق مقدمة من خبراء في هذا المجال يساعدنا كثيرا في الحصول على الأفكار المتطايرة وحصرها وتطويرها لنحولها إلى واقع ملموس ويساعدنا أيضا في تطوير الأفكار التي نقدمها للآخرين، وهذا ما يقدمه هذا الكتاب الخفيف الذي يقدم معلومات مرتبة وتطويرية بأسلوب سلس ...more
Quỳnh Anh
Sep 09, 2012 Quỳnh Anh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. It's amazing how lessons come into your mind naturally. The author easily captures readers with his wisdom, experience and sense of humor. My God! Just simply "To do is to be" and "To be is to do" become "Do be do be do" in Frank Sinatra's song =)) I can't help laughing but at the same time, I realize the power of creative combination. Ideas doesn't have to be big and serious. They are all around and we just have to pay attention. Great content written in a few words. Inspiring! ...more
Hoang Anh Tran
Sep 24, 2014 Hoang Anh Tran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing in the World
Takes the Place of Persistence

Talent doesn’t—
nothing is more common than
unsuccessful men with talent.
Wealth doesn’t—
the born-rich who die poor are legion.
Genius doesn’t—
unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education doesn’t—
the world is full of educated derelicts.
Luck doesn’t—
her fickleness has toppled kings.

Persistence and Determination
Alone Are Omnipotent
Ransom
May 06, 2011 Ransom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: about-writing
I'm glad I chose to practice my speed-reading on this book. It's interesting, and if someone has a lot of trouble getting ideas it might be worth looking into.

I enjoyed the quotes to begin each chapter, but it seemed almost like it was too drawn out with examples. The author does well illustrating his points, but I could have gotten most of the information from his chapters and headings without reading.
Fayafi M
Mar 24, 2016 Fayafi M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أحب الكتب الذكية والكتاب الأذكياء. الترجمة مرة كويسة تخوفت منها في البداية.
Amazon Sucks
A book that suffers greatly from the use of Papyrus in headers. I mean, what year is this? 1998?

Now, evidently that doesn't detract from the book itself, which — I have to say it — wouldn't be any better if it was entirely typeset in Baskerville. 'How to Get Ideas' has 2 specific problems:

- It talks little about how to get ideas.
- It talks heavily about other stuff.

In fact, the core of the book are 10 bullet points, followed by another 5. Together, they should point you in the direction of getti
...more
Ngọc Hân
Nov 21, 2012 Ngọc Hân rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, lent
Hai tuần chăm cậu ốm ở BV Nhiệt đới, trưa nào cũng đọc cuốn này từ 12h40 đến 13h40. Đọc thật chậm, hiểu thật sâu. Một nửa của 13 là 8. Một nửa của tớ là cậu. Đơn giản vậy thôi.
WAAD AL SHIDDI
ممتع.. بسيط.. واحيانا أشعر ان يتحدث إلي مباشرة ..
امثلة مختلفة وطريق بسيطة..

احببته وقرأته باستمتاع :)
Baraa Barakat
Aug 26, 2014 Baraa Barakat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب رائع جدا وبسيط فيه قصص رائعة ....... ...more
غيث حسن
ممتع
Kip Williams
I bought this book hoping to find more information on Lateral Thinking. In that respect, there was something like ten pages devoted to the topic. I was more than a little disappointed to see his tip for increased creativity was: Think Laterally. Wow! Why didn't I think of that? Oh, wait. I did.

Jack has an incredibly annoying writing style that strings out examples until I wold almost forget what he vital point he was illustrating. So many that I either fell asleep or skipped ahead. He made it e
...more
Rob
Aug 30, 2014 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've listened to this book probably five times now. If you are stuck, need brain wake-up, haven't employed the grey stuff between your ears enough or to your satisfaction, you need to read/listen to this book. I prefer the Audible version because of the presentation aspect, but either way you are going to walk away with new ideas or new ways to get them. Great book, highly recommended!
Julia
Oct 29, 2014 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, audio
A very good book and super informative and helpful. I did myself a bit of a disservice by listening to the audio rather than actually reading it though. I feel like I ended up missing long passages because I was distracted while driving. I do plan on re-reading it though because I think it's certainly worth it as I pursue my creative side.
Ala' Abuhijleh
The book consists of 2 parts: ten ways to condition your mind to be ideas generators, and five steps for producing ideas.

I believe the start of this book was not really very encouraging. The first 2 chapters in part one were really boring. There are too much quotations! actually in big part of them, they are only quotation. I was really discouraged to continue reading the book. Fortunately, things started to be really interesting in the 3rd chapter and it continued till the end of the book. Yet,
...more
Kirsten Naughton
I read this book as part of an assignment for a graphic design class. It was awesome! Uplifting, quirky, inspiring. I highly recommend it to anyone who works with ideas or problems... designers, entrepreneurs, business leaders and managers, teachers, parents! Great book.
Linda Tapp
Nice overall review but if you have ever read any at all ever about how to get ideas, this will be a refresher. I did not learn anything new but the second half of this quick read. "A Five Step Method.." is the most useful part of the book.
Alex Iambroszki
Oct 10, 2015 Alex Iambroszki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One afternoon is enough to go trough and get some insight on how to have ideas and a few more hints on how to succeed.
One thing I like the most was the following line: Nothing in the World takes the place of Persistence. Period.
Bún Bún
Apr 08, 2014 Bún Bún rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is loaded with hundreds of examples for ideas generation. A huge amount of effort on researches can be seen in every line and words in order to write the book. A good resource for everyday read, not only for advertisers.
Martin Goldberg
Aug 13, 2014 Martin Goldberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
LOVED this book. Hokey name. Great read. Only complaint is that I think it's too "Advertising-centric." So outstanding in terms of how to think creatively about anything. A very under-rated book. Well worth it.
John Ferry
Jul 06, 2014 John Ferry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! Full of ideas and not a word wasted. It's so refreshing to read a self help book with no padding and with so much interesting and practical content. A book I will keep and use for reference. Also contains first class information on what to do in an emergency!
Hiep Nguyen
It should be suitable for those who stick to thinking of "I'm not creative". Yes, you can surely make it! By simply apply easy-to-understand tactics mentioned & well illustrated in the book.
Akshay Deshmukh
Jun 08, 2016 Akshay Deshmukh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it. Easy and fun book to read. Key takeaways from this book - 'Not having an idea is same as having one and not putting it into action' , 'Ideas come when you Learn to Combine' and 'Persistence and Determination Alone in this world are Omnipotent'. Sweet read :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 74 75 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
مساعدة 1 4 Sep 16, 2013 06:09AM  
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
  • A Whack on the Side of the Head: How You Can Be More Creative
  • Caffeine for the Creative Mind: 250 Exercises to Wake Up Your Brain
  • Idea Index: Graphic Effects and Typographic Treatments
  • Accidental Genius: Using Writing to Generate Your Best Ideas, Insight, and Content
  • Idea Mapping: How to Access Your Hidden Brain Power, Learn Faster, Remember More, and Achieve Success in Business
  • A Technique for Producing Ideas
  • Take Back Your Life!: Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 to Get Organized and Stay Organized
  • Getting the Words Right
  • The Accidental Creative: How to Be Brilliant at a Moment's Notice
  • Think Better: An Innovator's Guide to Productive Thinking
  • The Idea Hunter: How to Find the Best Ideas and Make Them Happen
  • Word Hero: A Fiendishly Clever Guide to Crafting the Lines that Get Laughs, Go Viral, and Live Forever
  • The Secrets of Facilitation: The S.M.A.R.T. Guide to Getting Results with Groups
  • Telling Ain't Training
  •  أفضل الخطط العفوية
  • Advertising Secrets of the Written Word: The Ultimate Resource on How to Write Powerful Advertising Copy from One of America's Top Copywriters and Mail Order Entrepreneurs
  • The Book of Doing: Everyday Activities to Unlock Your Creativity and Joy

Share This Book



“Rules are a great way to get ideas. All you have to do is break them.” 14 likes
“Henry Ford agreed: “Whether you think you can or can’t, you’re right.” 0 likes
More quotes…