Start by marking “How to Get Ideas ” as Want to Read:
How to Get Ideas

How to Get Ideas

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  760 ratings  ·  80 reviews
Where do ideas come from, anyway? Why do some people get so many of them? Is there some secret technique to getting more of them?
How to Get Ideas answers these questions. And shows you--no matter your age or skill, your job or training--how to come up with more ideas, faster and easier.

First, Jack Foster tells you how to condition your mind and become "idea-prone;" how to
Published October 21st 1996 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published September 30th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about How to Get Ideas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get Ideas

Loved it! Inspiring. Enjoyable. I really wished there were more chapters/pages to read.

It's THE book to read when you feel demotivated or are looking for a new start.

Quoting Young, to generate creative ideas:
1. "Gather its raw materials"
2. "masticate those materials.”
3. "You drop the whole subject and put the problem out of your mind as completely as you can"
4. "Out of nowhere the idea will appear"
5. "“take your little newborn idea out into the world of reality" and watch it grow

Rosie Nguyễn
An easy to read, funny, and good book. Highly recommended for those whose work needs creativity.

It took Jack Foster 3 years to finish this book. I think it's worth it. Being a writer continuously seeking for new ideas, I have applied some of the techniques in this book through my writing unconsciously. But this book collects all the methods to find new ideas systematically, with witty quotes and stories, it reminds all the creators that: ideas are like love, they are all around. All we need to

من أجمل الكتب التي قرأتها و فصلت ماهية التفكير

رباح حسن
كتاب جميل وسهل وممتلئ بالافكار الرائعة لا يستغرق اكثر من جلستين لقراءته
وهو اضافة جديدة لكل قارئ
انصح بقراءته
Tell me why do people often read Self Help when they can read this book.
Quỳnh Anh
Love this book. It's amazing how lessons come into your mind naturally. The author easily captures readers with his wisdom, experience and sense of humor. My God! Just simply "To do is to be" and "To be is to do" become "Do be do be do" in Frank Sinatra's song =)) I can't help laughing but at the same time, I realize the power of creative combination. Ideas doesn't have to be big and serious. They are all around and we just have to pay attention. Great content written in a few words. Inspiring! ...more
Hoang Anh Tran
Nothing in the World
Takes the Place of Persistence

Talent doesn’t—
nothing is more common than
unsuccessful men with talent.
Wealth doesn’t—
the born-rich who die poor are legion.
Genius doesn’t—
unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education doesn’t—
the world is full of educated derelicts.
Luck doesn’t—
her fickleness has toppled kings.

Persistence and Determination
Alone Are Omnipotent
I'm glad I chose to practice my speed-reading on this book. It's interesting, and if someone has a lot of trouble getting ideas it might be worth looking into.

I enjoyed the quotes to begin each chapter, but it seemed almost like it was too drawn out with examples. The author does well illustrating his points, but I could have gotten most of the information from his chapters and headings without reading.
Amazon Sucks
A book that suffers greatly from the use of Papyrus in headers. I mean, what year is this? 1998?

Now, evidently that doesn't detract from the book itself, which — I have to say it — wouldn't be any better if it was entirely typeset in Baskerville. 'How to Get Ideas' has 2 specific problems:

- It talks little about how to get ideas.
- It talks heavily about other stuff.

In fact, the core of the book are 10 bullet points, followed by another 5. Together, they should point you in the direction of getti
Ngọc Hân
Hai tuần chăm cậu ốm ở BV Nhiệt đới, trưa nào cũng đọc cuốn này từ 12h40 đến 13h40. Đọc thật chậm, hiểu thật sâu. Một nửa của 13 là 8. Một nửa của tớ là cậu. Đơn giản vậy thôi.
Kip Williams
I bought this book hoping to find more information on Lateral Thinking. In that respect, there was something like ten pages devoted to the topic. I was more than a little disappointed to see his tip for increased creativity was: Think Laterally. Wow! Why didn't I think of that? Oh, wait. I did.

Jack has an incredibly annoying writing style that strings out examples until I wold almost forget what he vital point he was illustrating. So many that I either fell asleep or skipped ahead. He made it e
I've listened to this book probably five times now. If you are stuck, need brain wake-up, haven't employed the grey stuff between your ears enough or to your satisfaction, you need to read/listen to this book. I prefer the Audible version because of the presentation aspect, but either way you are going to walk away with new ideas or new ways to get them. Great book, highly recommended!
A very good book and super informative and helpful. I did myself a bit of a disservice by listening to the audio rather than actually reading it though. I feel like I ended up missing long passages because I was distracted while driving. I do plan on re-reading it though because I think it's certainly worth it as I pursue my creative side.
Ala' Abuhijleh
The book consists of 2 parts: ten ways to condition your mind to be ideas generators, and five steps for producing ideas.

I believe the start of this book was not really very encouraging. The first 2 chapters in part one were really boring. There are too much quotations! actually in big part of them, they are only quotation. I was really discouraged to continue reading the book. Fortunately, things started to be really interesting in the 3rd chapter and it continued till the end of the book. Yet,
Kirsten Naughton
I read this book as part of an assignment for a graphic design class. It was awesome! Uplifting, quirky, inspiring. I highly recommend it to anyone who works with ideas or problems... designers, entrepreneurs, business leaders and managers, teachers, parents! Great book.
Linda Tapp
Nice overall review but if you have ever read any at all ever about how to get ideas, this will be a refresher. I did not learn anything new but the second half of this quick read. "A Five Step Method.." is the most useful part of the book.
Alex Iambroszki
One afternoon is enough to go trough and get some insight on how to have ideas and a few more hints on how to succeed.
One thing I like the most was the following line: Nothing in the World takes the place of Persistence. Period.
Bún Bún
The book is loaded with hundreds of examples for ideas generation. A huge amount of effort on researches can be seen in every line and words in order to write the book. A good resource for everyday read, not only for advertisers.
Martin Goldberg
LOVED this book. Hokey name. Great read. Only complaint is that I think it's too "Advertising-centric." So outstanding in terms of how to think creatively about anything. A very under-rated book. Well worth it.
John Ferry
Fantastic! Full of ideas and not a word wasted. It's so refreshing to read a self help book with no padding and with so much interesting and practical content. A book I will keep and use for reference. Also contains first class information on what to do in an emergency!
Hiep Nguyen
It should be suitable for those who stick to thinking of "I'm not creative". Yes, you can surely make it! By simply apply easy-to-understand tactics mentioned & well illustrated in the book.
Bogdan Albina
One of the best book I've ever read. Concise, funny with enough self-improvement talk and plenty of ideas. How to get ideas is a way of life, not just a "how to" book.
I like this story because I am a person who struggles at getting ideas. After reading this book I think that now I can get ideas more easily that usual.
Shaymaa A.
"خمس خطوات لتوليد الأفكار.
أولًا، يجب على العقل أن "يجمّع مواده الأولية" هذه المواد تتضمن "المعرفة المحددة بمجال الفكرة[و]المعرفة العامة بالحياة والأحداث".
ثانيًا، يمر العقل بـ "عملية مضغ تلك المواد".
ثالثًا، "أنت تصرف النظر عن الموضوع برمته وتُخرج المشكلة من عقلك بشكل كامل قدر المستطاع".
رابعًا، "سوف تظهر الفكرة فجأة".
خامسًا، تخرج بفكرتك الوليدة الصغيرة إلى عالم الواقع وترى كيف تطبقها.
Gil Michelini
This was a fun book to listen to. Narrator Johnny Heller sounds like a crusty of ad man which is how Foster portrays himself in the book.
Foster gives good tips on how to develop ideas and then tells stories of how those ideas worked for him while development advertising as well as many other well-known American idea people such as Ford, Edison, and Jobs.

If you struggle developing ideas, this is a great short book to get you started. This includes an field where you need to be creativity such as
I really enjoyed this book. I'm excited to put its suggestions into practice to come up with and follow through on ideas.
MT Qabshoqa
The Author of this book works in advertisements so most of his techniques are derived from his field. In each single page he mentions at least one successful figure and that adds a lot to your general information.
The book is a good reference for general methods of how to get idea. The main concept which the book revolves around is determination. The book has two chapters: the first chapter has ten different ways to condition your mind. The second chapter provides one ideological methodology to r
Simple to read and understand. Good tips on brainstorming and generating ideas.
Vignesh P T
Loved the book. Fuels your brain to start thinking differently. There's always many answers/solutions to a problem. And we need to change the problem statement sometimes to get better ideas and solutions.
Apr 22, 2014 Jeremy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marketers, Creatives
Shelves: psychology, marketing
Jack Foster knows his stuff. He even questions what is an idea!
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
  • A Whack on the Side of the Head: How You Can Be More Creative
  • Caffeine for the Creative Mind: 250 Exercises to Wake Up Your Brain
  • A Technique for Producing Ideas
  • Accidental Genius: Using Writing to Generate Your Best Ideas, Insight, and Content
  • Idea Index: Graphic Effects and Typographic Treatments
  • The Idea Hunter: How to Find the Best Ideas and Make Them Happen
  • Think Better: An Innovator's Guide to Productive Thinking
  • Word Hero: A Fiendishly Clever Guide to Crafting the Lines that Get Laughs, Go Viral, and Live Forever
  • The Accidental Creative: How to Be Brilliant at a Moment's Notice
  • Lifehacker: The Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, and Better
  • Getting the Words Right
  • The Path of Least Resistance for Managers
  • Management of the Absurd
  • Uncommon Genius
  • Advertising Secrets of the Written Word: The Ultimate Resource on How to Write Powerful Advertising Copy from One of America's Top Copywriters and Mail Order Entrepreneurs
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • Mindfire: Big Ideas for Curious Minds

“Rules are a great way to get ideas. All you have to do is break them.” 14 likes