Without: Poems

Without: Poems

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  855 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Donald Hall's poignant and courageous poetry speaks of the death of the magnificent, humorous, and gifted Jane Kenyon. Hall speaks to us all of grief, as a poet lamenting the death of a poet, as a husband mourning the loss of a wife. Without is Hall's greatest and most honorable achievement-his gift and testimony, his lament and his celebration of loss and of love.
Published April 14th 1999 by Mariner Books (first published 1998)

Stephanie
This was a library group read and I have to admit when I was first handed it, my teeth were set. "Poetry, really?" inside I said, with a deep groan! But let me say I fell in love with this "little" book and now it is in my Amazon cart to own.
I have no words for this book, so let me just quote two poems that effected me deeply, in no way the deepest but to me a couple of the most tender.

"This morning Gussie
woke me up. I let him out, fed Ada,
took Gus back in again,
and fed him. Then I went to the...more
Angelica
"The hour/we lived in, two decades/by the pond, has transformed/into a single unstoppable day,/gray in the dwelling-place/of absence."

"If someone had told us then/you would die in nineteen years,/would it have sounded/like almost enough time?"

"I loved to turn up in your poems/I imagined those you'd make/after I died; I regretted/I wouldn't be able to read them."

A book of poems filled with adoring devotion for his wife. Honest, humble and profoundly pained observations of the process of losing an...more
Molly
I read this first for an Intermediate Poetry class as an undergrad accompanied by Jane Kenyon's Otherwise. I don't think I could quite appreciate it as I do now, on the other side of loss. I am immersing myself in these volumes of poetry now that I have my own collection of loss-poetry as I try to figure out how my own manuscript will fall into place.
Sherry Chandler
Dec 05, 2007 Sherry Chandler rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: the whole world
Shelves: thepoets
Without is an affecting book, one of the few books of poetry that I have read through at a sitting. It is not pleasant reading, I don’t know whether it is always poetry, but it is always an honest look into the heart of grief, and as such a comfort in a way to those of us who see our own grief coming.
Holly
I don't usually like reading an entire book of poetry at one sitting--but this was a rare exception. It's a sad, lovely story about Hall's wife, (Jane Kenyon, another poet) how he loved her and how she died.
Jessica
Have I read this at least twenty times? Yes. Am I still a weeping mess after every read? Yes. Does Donald Hall know what he's doing? Yes.
Ruth
Poems about the early death of his wife, Jane Kenyon. Relentlessly sad, but some poems are real gems.

R
Audrey
One of the most touching collections of poems I have ever read. Sweet and funny and sad.
Elaine
Tender and beautifully written.

Should be read cover to cover, in order.
Amanda Carver
Far be it from me to knock a book of poems about a man's dead wife.
Patricia
I bought this book after attending a seminar with Donald Hall a number of years ago. Like a lot of poetry books I buy, it sat on the shelf until the right time came to read it. This collection of poems is Hall's poetic response to the loss of his Jane Kenyon and as such addresses the last year of her life and the first year following her death. It is the poetry of grief. The ache of loss bellows from these poems, making it a powerful read.

As a writer, I also found something else that Hall spo...more
Robert Beveridge
Donald Hall, Without (Houghton Mifflin, 1998)

Donald Hall is one of America's most accomplished men of letters, and never has he been more so than in Without. Published on the third anniversary of the death of his wife, the late poet Jane Kenyon, Without is split into two sections. The first details the months leading up to her death, and as expected, the poems in this section are fraught, fast-moving, tense, full of alternating hope and fear, as well as the quotidian agony of chemotherapy and im...more
Janelle
Donald Hall’s book of poetry Without: Poems is about a dying wife and a dying poet. These poems were very interesting because it took the form of a book, but yet remained a collection of poetry, but the whole piece told a story. The beginning of the collection of poetry was a poem entitled “Her long illness” in the poem Donald Hall painted a picture of a dedicated husband who was beside his dying wife that had been stricken with cancer. There was a part that stood out to me which was “he worked;...more
Lindsey
Donald Hall was married to the poet Jane Kenyon, and this book of poems covers the last year of her life (she died of Leukemia) and the first year after her death. I struggled with what to rate this book (3 and 1/2 stars would feel more appropriate) because parts of it were frustrating, while others were incredibly touching and beautiful. Overall, Hall manages to walk that fine line of writing personal poems without making them feel irrelevant to an outside reader; given his devastation at the l...more
Jane
This is the most powerful, poignant, beautifully written book of poetry I have ever read. These poems are written to and for Donald Hall's wife, poet Jane Kenyon, who died in 1995. Liz Rosenberg of the Boston Globe said my feelings best: "It is a remarkably beautiful and generous book, beautiful in all its terrible specifics of the daily ordeal of death, and generous to the memory of the force of life his wife possessed. The result, I think, is his strongest book yet...a work of art, love, and g...more
Aimee
My friend Hartman had this book and suggested I take a look at it one night when we were over there. I am very interested in studying grief and loss so he knew I would enjoy it.

I started reading the first poem and couldn't stop. I read the whole book while we all were sitting there conversing.

It is moving, heartfelt, passionate, sad and truly a powerful book of love and friendship. I was completely taken with his words and his writing style is so beautiful and easy to read for an amateur reade...more
Andrea
When I first read this years ago, it devastated me. I cried and cried and cried, and my poetry teacher said, "Well yes, it's sad, but is it good poetry?" which I thought was unusually cruel and heartless, even for him. But upon rereading, I'm wondering if there wasn't some truth to his statement. This book will tear out your heart, but there are many places where we leave the world of poetry entirely and enter the world of newspaper writing. Which is a fine place to be, but maybe not so much in...more
Aaron
While I don't pretend to be an expert on poetry, I can honestly say that this is the first collection of poetry that actually had a visceral emotional effect on me. I could almost feel the pain this person was going through as he watched his wife die slowly of leukemia. It was very moving.

My favorites were "Last Days," and "Midsummer Letter." A part that really stood out to me (from Last Days): "When she no longer spoke,/they lay alone together, touching,/and she fixed on him/her beautiful enor...more
Jami Lin
So beautiful. Destroyed me.
Stephanie
this book is HEARTBREAKING. he wrote all the poems during his wife's struggle with cancer, and they are all really delicate and precise...you can feel what he's feeling, almost, becuase he picks such great words and uses great line breaks and stuff. the one of page 3 (i think...maybe 13...they don;t have names) is intense...about him wanting to do something, but not knowing what to do. i actually was able to hear his read drom this collection while i was in college, and it was CRAZY. like meetin...more
Karlo Mikhail
Touching.
L.
This IS my very favorite book of poetry! Absolutely beautiful lamentations for the wife & best friend the poet lost. This is how a man grieves, especially when so many men are of few words. While reading this, put yourself in the shoes of a grieving husband, going on with the routines of life though he is missing his very reason to breathe. It's a love story in brief glimpses, and it will make you want to savor every last second with your loved ones.
Robert
After the first line of the first poem, I could not put this collection down. Hall infuses this book with nuanced truths about the grieving process, harrowing in their accuracy and intimacy. Anyone who has suffered a great loss and then tried to come to terms with writing about it will understand what a remarkable achievement this book represents. More here: [http://www.robertpeake.com/archives/3...]
Mary Galvin
A memoir in poems.
Kevin Fanning
Heavy, but sooo good. A series of poems written while his wife, Jane Kenyon, was dying, and then a series of poems that are letters to her, written throughout the year after her death.

"...The year of days / without you and your body swept by / as quick as an afternoon; / but each afternoon took a year."

My favorite was "Air Shatters in the Car's Small Room", but there really aren't any missteps here. Tough, moving, beautiful.
Mary
I needed poetry. This collection was mentioned in another book, so I found it in the library. Hall pours his grief into a series of poems about the dying of his wife, poet Jane Kenyon. These are not pretty poems about nature. He salts his verse with the names of cancer drugs and descriptions of treatments Kenyon undergoes in a desperate effort to beat leukemia and stay with him.
Danelle
It's incredibly honest, beautifully written, and heartbreakingly sad.

I've never wanted to just read and read a book of poetry - usually I read a little here, a little there. I couldn't do that with this one. For some reason I kept going - it was like a wreck for me - you know it can't be good news, but you crane your neck to get a better view anyway.
Elgin
I first heard Donald Hall reading from this collection on NPR. Hearing the emotion in his voice and the beauty of the words I immediately went on Amazon and ordered the book for myself. This was a very very moving collection about his wife's (and his) experience in battling, and eventually losing to, his wife's cancer. I still get choked up just thinking about it.
J.
A very moving set of poems that guides us through the death of Mr. Hall's wife. Presented as a timeline, the poems progress along with the cancer. Hall provides plenty of perspective, both long and short term. After death, the poems shift to touching letters. A very enjoyable and thoughtful read. Certainly not the poetry of "passive suffering" that Yeats decries.
Shonna Froebel
  • The Country Between Us
  • Delights & Shadows
  • The Collected Poems
  • Here, Bullet
Donald Hall was born in New Haven, Connecticut, in 1928. He began writing as an adolescent and attended the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference at the age of sixteen—the same year he had his first work published. He earned a B.A. from Harvard in 1951 and a B. Litt. from Oxford in 1953.

Donald Hall has published numerous books of poetry, most recently White Apples and the Taste of Stone: Selected Poems 1...more
More about Donald Hall...
Ox-Cart Man The Best Day the Worst Day: Life with Jane Kenyon White Apples and the Taste of Stone: Selected Poems, 1946-2006 The Painted Bed: Poems Life Work