Start by marking “A Death in Kitchawank, and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
A Death in Kitchawank, and Other Stories

A Death in Kitchawank, and Other Stories

T. C. Boyle is one of the most renowned storytellers of the modern era. This collection of fourteen stories drifts effortlessly between myth and reality, encompassing a panorama of human emotions. In “The Marlbane Manchester Musser Award,” Boyle reveals a writer’s dismay when a simple trip is turned upside down by a stranger. “Los Gigantes” tells the story of a group of ...more
Audiobook
Published October 3rd 2013 by Blackstone Audio

To ask other readers questions about A Death in Kitchawank, and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Death in Kitchawank, and Other Stories

Jim
Jul 06, 2016 Jim rated it it was ok
Well written & read by the author, the only reason I'm giving it 2 stars. Unfortunately, the stories were pointless, the characters as banal & uninteresting as their situations. Snap shots of every day life & some damn fools or bad luck.

For instance, in one story, a man goes off the deep end searching for spirituality. He pays a lot of money to live in the desert with his new wife in a celibate, silent communion 3 years, 3 months & 3 days, supposedly the same as the dahli lamas d
Helia Rethmann
Aug 01, 2015 Helia Rethmann rated it really liked it
A great collection from an expert story teller. I listened to this while driving cross-country, and although TC Boyle is an excellent reader with a pleasant voice, I think I might have preferred the book version. The voices of the characters -- as varied as they are in age, gender and personal agenda -- started to blur into one another for me, because they are read in the same intonation.
Then there were things that in the middle of an engaging tale made me feel manipulated by the author or snap
Judy
Dec 20, 2014 Judy rated it it was amazing
Bret Easton Ellis meets David Sedaris.
Elmwoodblues
Oct 04, 2015 Elmwoodblues rated it did not like it
Having just heard 'Chicxulub' read on The New Yorker Fiction Podcast, I knew I wanted to get deeper into Boyle; having heard him read Tobias Wolff's "A Bullet in the Brain", I knew Boyle was an excellent narrator. So, what better first collection than Boyle reading Boyle?
'Liking' the characters in fiction isn't necessary to me, especially in a short; nor is identifying with them. However, with the people I had settled in to visiting with over the next few hours, some relief would have been appr
Joab Jackson
Jul 06, 2015 Joab Jackson rated it liked it
Like many, I've enjoyed TC Boyle's short stories more than his novels. They are crisply rendered with strong authorial voices. He specializes in unreliable narrators, the kind of characters who keep insisting they are normal, even as they describe, in perfectly rational detail, whatever batshit crazy situation they've entangled themselves into.
Rrrrrron
May 19, 2015 Rrrrrron rated it liked it
Shelves: mid-to
Snap shots of human failures/foibles. Some great and most just good. Stories through the narrow lens by which young men see the world, self-justification and bad decisions and responding to odd chances. Or stories of young (and some not so young) men hacked by their own emotions.
Lorene Shyba
Mar 20, 2016 Lorene Shyba rated it it was amazing
There is a story in the middle of this collection about dog fights that is so horrifying, I cringe to think about it. TC Boyle really knows the form of short story and to write such an upsetting story takes a lot of courage. Sure opened my eyes to the cruelty possible among some animal owners.
William Sharpe
Apr 14, 2015 William Sharpe rated it liked it
Have always enjoyed TC Boyle's work. Captures the angst of current middle class life in America very well.
Jamie Sutton
Jan 06, 2014 Jamie Sutton rated it really liked it
Great little set of stories, somewhat predictable but all written and delivered quite well as usual from one of my favorite seasoned writers.
LISA
Aug 16, 2014 LISA rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I thought he was a great narrator – a lot of times authors who narrate their own books pretty much suck but I thought he did a great job.
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Diane Graham
Diane Graham rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
McCarthy
McCarthy rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Archerjoe
Mar 23, 2015 Archerjoe rated it really liked it
Good collection of riveting stories showcasing human emotions and the effects of bad decisions.
Angela Murphy
Angela Murphy rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Robin
Jul 13, 2016 Robin rated it really liked it
I enjoy all his writings. The stories showcase the underside and quirkiness of people
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Roy Noon
Roy Noon rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Jeff Baker
Jeff Baker rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Jessica Knurek
Jessica Knurek rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Susan F
Susan F rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2015
Michael Ronn
Michael Ronn rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2014
Anne
May 07, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Not as compelling as his novels, but he's such a great writer I still give him 4 stars.
Francis
Francis rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2014
Gmh357
Gmh357 rated it it was ok
May 22, 2014
Andrew Stuckey
Andrew Stuckey rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2016
Tommy
Tommy rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Downpour.com
Downpour.com rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Nadine
Nadine rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2015
T. Coraghessan Boyle (also known as T.C. Boyle, born Thomas John Boyle on December 2, 1948) is a U.S. novelist and short story writer. Since the late 1970s, he has published eleven novels and more than 60 short stories. He won the PEN/Faulkner award in 1988 for his third novel, World's End, which recounts 300 years in upstate New York. He is married with three children. Boyle has been a Distinguis ...more
More about T.C. Boyle...