Start by marking “Abraham's Well” as Want to Read:
Abraham's Well

Abraham's Well

A young mother and her son struggle to hold on to their dreams through decades of heartbreaking separations, re-locations, and escapes.
Published November 1st 2006 by Bethany House Publishers

Jessaka
Nov 08, 2016 Jessaka rated it it was ok
I had a hard time getting into this book and almost put it down for good, but then I picked it up again, and it started to be interesting, and the book got better with time.

This is a story of Armentia who was a black slave girl in the Cherokee tribe and was on the trail of tears in 1838. She was taken to Tahlequah, OK and then sold into slavery. Such a sad life, a life that didn't get better until she was very old.

I did a term paper in college on this subject and also worked on my family tree
Anino
Aug 07, 2011 Anino rated it really liked it
Seriously talented author who should not be ignored.
Shomeret
Mar 30, 2013 Shomeret rated it liked it
Although I don't normally read Christian fiction because I don't like novels that are too overtly didactic, I am very interested in books that deal with Afro-Natives. That's why I chose to read and review Abraham's Well by Sharon Ewell Foster which is the story of an Afro-Cherokee woman who was born a slave in a Cherokee family.

Armentia, the central character of Abraham's Well was brought up among the North Carolina Cherokees believing herself a part of the Cherokee nation. When most of the Cher
Mirrani
Jul 04, 2013 Mirrani rated it really liked it
Many know about the Trail of Tears and the constant harassment of the Native American Tribes by the white settlers who came and had no claim to their land, but took it anyway, wherever they went. Many know about the story of slavery and how African Americans were treated by their white owners and their struggles for freedom. But many do not know about the often untold story of those who were slaves among the tribes, how they were treated and what their lives were like. How many readers are aware ...more
Anne Broyles
Oct 25, 2012 Anne Broyles rated it really liked it
If I am an expert on any historical subject, it is the Cherokee Trail of Tears. So I was glad to discover a novel that includes this painful period in the telling of one woman’s life. Sharon Ewell Foster’s main character, Armentia, is a child when forced to march to Indian Territory in 1838. This particular version of the story begins earlier, and ends much later than that year, however, and the author manages to fit a lot of history into this narrative.

As with any story, there are many perspect
Titilayo
Jul 15, 2014 Titilayo rated it really liked it
This story is about Armentia. She is Black. She is Cherokee. She is enslaved. As a Native American in the Cherokee nation during the 1830s she is among thousands of (Ameri-Indian, African American, and mixed) people forced to leave their mineral rich and arable lands in the name of Manifest Destiny. When President Andrew Jackson ushered the Indian Removal Act into law all Ameri-Indian nations/tribes/groups who refused to cede their ancestral lands to white settlers they were banished to Indian T ...more
Brigitte
Feb 12, 2011 Brigitte rated it it was amazing
Having worked with Sharon back in my Air Force days, I try to make sure I read all her work, but somehow I let this one slip past me. I don't normally read much Inspirational Fiction, but Sharon is a stand-out who won the Christy Award for her first book, "Passing by Samaria." Anyway, I finally picked up "Abraham's Well" and it is just beautiful. She tells the story of Armentia, who takes the reader on a truly moving tale of the Black Cherokee (a group I'd not heard of before), who were forced t ...more
Anne Mallamo
"It is not what a man wears that makes him wise and true, they said. It is what is in the man's heart."

"Though we were all together in that place, the Trail Where We Cried was like a line, some kind of fence between us that separated our people."

"Everybody needs to feel better thans somebody."

"Inside of me I wondered how they could keep praying to one who did not love us, one who loved white man more."

"But I was a child then, and like children, I couldn't stand to always be sad. There was no di
Adrienna
Jan 17, 2009 Adrienna rated it it was ok
The only reason that made me like this book is the "Trail of Tears" information in the book...since I took this in a history class in college, therefore I had some familiarity with it and to hear it from Sharon's family life...what made it more enriching and some pictures of her native american family members (roots).
Valencia
Jan 10, 2017 Valencia rated it really liked it
The story was engaging and with the mix of Historical research made for an entertaining read.
Deb
Sep 04, 2007 Deb added it
the story focuses on the character of armentia, as she tells the reader about what it was like for her growing up as a black cherokee. at first she is unaware of her status as a slave, but then her brother is sold and her family forced to evacuate to oklahoma during the time of the trail of tears. foster brings history to life in a powerful way, as this young women is forced to leave her family, give up her son, and endure all sorts of abuse throughout her life. foster documents her research and ...more
Nicole
May 31, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it
This book was a moving account of a little known sub-culture of the Cherokee people, the African Cherokee slave. I loved this story...it touched me and made me think about humanity and the morals and values I live by. However, I wish the author could have done a better job at meshing the two cultures together. Armentia, the main character, was not only a black slave but part Cherokee. Instead of one meshed culture, Armentia was portayed as Cherokee at times and as a black slave at times but very ...more
Tanya W
Sep 14, 2008 Tanya W rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book, definitely among the top I have read over the last couple of years. It was a sad look at slavery among the Cherokee nation. It was heartbreaking, especially to think of the way slaves were cruelly separated from their families... imagine your little girl or boy being taken from you, never to be seen again. A view of many hardships of slavery and the amazing faith that some of these precious people had. This was a great book written by someone with a great faith in Jesu ...more
Ruthann Obidigbo
Aug 04, 2015 Ruthann Obidigbo rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ruthann by: Inspired to read book club
I'm not understanding why this book is not in print anymore. What a mistake. I loved the way the author told the story from a 3rd party perspective. A story of the devastating journey called the "Trail of Tears. I cried at the unfairness but rejoiced to see how thru it all they still had hope. Inspiring. This book kept me reading with suspense wondering what next. I cried, hated, laughed, cheered and hoped right along with the characters. I loved this book.
Shirlyn
May 02, 2008 Shirlyn rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shirlyn by: Gwen
A new book that doesn't have many reviews, and should! It was a good book that taught me about the Cherokee/Black people before the Civil War I didn't know about. It is a book similar to "These are my Words", not so much a love story though but similar theme of trials and hardships. The ending was very touching.
Debi
Aug 02, 2009 Debi rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I've never actually read a slavery/civil war book and I'm glad to have read this one. I would recommend it as a book club book or as a young-adult school reading book. It does discuss the "N" word, but from a very innocent point of view to be a lesson and not used in an overtly unnessessary way.
Ellen
Mar 20, 2015 Ellen rated it really liked it
This is an engrossing and yet appalling account of the black Cherokees before, on, and in the aftermath of the Trail of Tears. The important historical era is brought to life be a descendant of the main character.
Sharyn
Aug 01, 2008 Sharyn rated it really liked it
Based on true events, the story of the Black Cherokees(African Americans both slave and free) who walked the Trail of Tears with the Native Americans. I did not know that the Cherokees had free and slave African Americans with them!
Trisha Owens
Jan 06, 2013 Trisha Owens rated it really liked it
This book is about a young, black slave girl and the way she had to survive the Trail of Tears (removal of Natives from their homelands) She does survive, but at what cost? Sad but based on historical facts.
Dee
Oct 17, 2013 Dee rated it liked it
A book of fiction based on historical facts. It is the story of a Black woman, a Native American women - a Black Cherokee of mixed heritage - who walked the Trail of Tears. It is the story of her fight to survive and a nation's struggle to mature.
D'andria
Jan 02, 2009 D'andria rated it liked it
I liked parts of this book. There was a good story there, but it wasn't executed as well as it could have been. It was a bit to preachy for my taste.
Nancy
Jun 26, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I read this book in the 7th grade. I am currently a rising sophomore in college and I can still remember this profound book very well. Definitely worth the read.
Carla
Apr 24, 2010 Carla rated it liked it
Really good book, but the writing is a bit simplistic. This book could have had a bigger emotional impact if the writing was more sophisticated. Very interesting though and I would recommend it.
Elijah Predeoux
Jun 21, 2009 Elijah Predeoux is currently reading it
how armentia is going thru changes, with abraham gone now. and their family getting "removed" from their land
Kim
May 29, 2010 Kim rated it liked it
American history....1830s-1880s....Cherokee/Black slave walks Trail of Tears, endures slavery then freedom.
April
Sep 22, 2008 April rated it it was ok
I actually couldn't finish this book! It was very depressing and the story line moved too slowly. It's a rare thing for me not to finish a book!
Joanie
Dec 29, 2007 Joanie rated it really liked it
Fictional story based on the Trail of Tears and the events following it as told by a mixed black/Indian girl.
Melissa
Sep 12, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Superb story written from the viewpoint of a former slave, part Cherokee, forced to walk the Trail of Tears. Amazingly written book.
Laura rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2012
Adrienne M
Adrienne M rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
African-American ...: Abraham's Well: September 1 -- September 30 38 36 Mar 06, 2015 10:11AM
African-American ...: Book Blast: Abraham's Well 2 8 Sep 26, 2014 06:12PM
  • Dreams That Won't Let Go (Jubilant Soul #3)
  • The Night Angel (Heirs of Acadia, #4)
  • Ruth's Redemption
  • Rattlebone
  • Sunday's Silence
  • The Snake Charmer: A Novel
  • Isle of Shadows (Seven Wonders, #3)
  • Songs of Deliverance
  • Prelude (American Anthem #1)
  • Gabriel's Story
  • Nine Fairy Tales and One More Thrown in for Good Measure (European Classics)
  • Gloryland
  • A Hidden Truth (Home to Amana, #1)
  • Small Miracles: Heartwarming Gifts of Extraordinary Coincidences
  • Plum Bun: A Novel without a Moral
  • Holy Ghost Corner
  • With the Might of Angels: The Diary of Dawnie Rae Johnson, Hadley, Virginia, 1954
  • Time of the Locust