Start by marking “Some Sweet Day” as Want to Read:
Some Sweet Day

Some Sweet Day

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  768 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
When Josh quits his job and buys a remote cabin high in the mountains, he asks his sister, Carly, to accompany him to care for his two children. Carly lets him persuade her, hoping that nature's peace and beauty will help them all heal from the unexpected death of Josh's wife.

Carly's hopes turn to fear, however, at her brother's enthusiasm toward a certain mountain preache
Published June 1st 1997 by Covenant Communications (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Some Sweet Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Sweet Day

Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
322nd out of 499 books — 443 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Subtle Knife by Philip PullmanElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared DiamondA Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
Best Books of 1997
146th out of 239 books — 130 voters

More lists with this book...

Angela
Jul 16, 2008 Angela rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I have now checked out from the library twice to read and I think I would still like reading it again so I guess that throws it into the 5-star category and becomes a book that I need to buy.

Some Sweet Day takes place in a remote mountain in Washington State (I think, because they fly to Seattle as the nearest major city) where Carly has come to take care of her niece and nephew where their father has moved following his wife's murder. There's a compound of white supremicist
Katie W
Jan 08, 2011 Katie W rated it really liked it
This story was very intense and creepy! Josh and his sister, Carly, live in a very remote area of the Northwest with his two children. His wife was murdered by a gang in LA. There is a religious compound (cult) very nearby and suddenly, Josh moves his family there. Just before they left, a man was found nearby, having been attacked by a bear. Carly helps cover for him and he ends up going to the compound too. Carly knows something bad is going on and is suddenly desperate to escape. But that's n ...more
Shellie
Mar 23, 2012 Shellie rated it liked it
Very unique book! I am not sure it is one of my favorites, but it had a gripping story.
It works around a cult in the mountains...a 'haven' that is supposed to be getting ready to make a huge white supremisist statement, and the deputy marshalls trying to stop it.

It did have some tellings of child abuse, some physical abuse between men and women and such...stuff I am not really cool with reading, but again, I have loved all of Hansen's other works, and the plot was enough to keep me reading/ski
Patricia
Jan 22, 2014 Patricia rated it really liked it
Why do Hansen's creepy villains have to be so creepy? This whole compound/maniacal leader stuff was somewhat intense...and creepy. I liked the book.
June
Nov 26, 2012 June rated it really liked it
This story was excellent. I was glued to it. The author did a great job of creating a scene that would cause someone to be motivated to join a group like this.

Sadly I've been around people in this sort of situation. You get tied in and then it's nearly impossible to get out alive or with your loved ones. Loved the side character Rueben and his carpentry LOL
Julie
Sep 16, 2009 Julie rated it liked it
Very creepy to read about white supremacists. Chris and I looked at a job in Northern Idaho where some of these groups are located and after looking into it, we were pretty creeped out that they really exist. After talking to a friend of ours that works in federal law enforcement, I realize parts of this story are not that far fetched.
Cassy Tenney
Jul 14, 2008 Cassy Tenney rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: adrienne
Recommended to Cassy by: adrienne
Lydia
May 21, 2009 Lydia rated it really liked it
Actually one of my more favorite of hers. Though it did take me a little to realize it happens in our time! Interesting look at a fanatical white supremicist group....and those sucked in before realizing what it is and then wanting to escape. Light romance too....
Heather Miller
Sep 06, 2009 Heather Miller rated it did not like it
This book was awful. I hate when authors try so hard to tie into the LDS faith that they add comments that have absolutely nothing to do with the plot. There was virtually no character development. I hope my book club doesn't pick anymore by this author.
Leslie
Apr 08, 2009 Leslie rated it liked it
This was another one of her drama, suspence, & love stories. Carly and others are held against their wills in a well-armed mountain fortress of a white supremacist group. The journey to escape linked with spiritual awakening is interesting.
Marian.brady
Jun 09, 2009 Marian.brady rated it really liked it
Fun book! I little action, a little adventure, a little romance - what more couldyou want?! This book really made me think about all the ways Heavenly Father can help us out in our lives - through good and bad.
Cindy Steel
Jan 30, 2013 Cindy Steel rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This book has been a favorite of mine since Junior High. I just picked it up recently and re-read it and I still love it. It's about a religious cult in the mountains and a sweet love story mixed in.
Deltarabbit
Sep 11, 2009 Deltarabbit rated it really liked it
I had to keep the telling the kids to go find something to do so I could finish the book. I almost skipped to the end just so I could find out what happened. This was a good, suspenseful read.
Kate
Sep 06, 2009 Kate rated it liked it
I like it when LDS novels aren't trying to sell religion. This book does just that. It was a good, clean adventurous book that got hard to put down. Hard to put down until you finish.
Veneita
Apr 18, 2009 Veneita rated it really liked it
I remember this being one of my favorite books when I was in high school however I can't hardly remember it now. I'll have to read it again.
Karen
Sep 22, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. It kept me captivated. It took awhile to find out what time period this story was taking place.
Dianna
Apr 12, 2011 Dianna rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
Another great action suspense filled romance from Jennie Hansen, had me laughing and smiling the whole way through.
Feb 25, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I seem to be drawn to books with law enforcement. And don't forget the love story!
Amanda
Jul 09, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
Great mystery and love story. Enjoyed every minute of it. It was faith building, but not preachy or corny.
Heidee
Aug 22, 2009 Heidee rated it liked it
I liked this one, but not as much as others. The mountain army was just a little bit too far out there.
Pat
Feb 12, 2009 Pat rated it really liked it
An interesting look into people caught in situations not completely under their control. Easy reading.
Melissa
Apr 01, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melissa by: Joelle Behning
Falling in love with Wolf...barely escaping with your life...Good book.
Briana Hansen
Aug 29, 2015 Briana Hansen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Very good. Loved it!
Kristin
Nov 22, 2012 Kristin rated it really liked it
This one was good. I liked how the story was written
Patti
Aug 29, 2012 Patti rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction
I love it when I get to give a book five stars!
Rachel
Sep 01, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Jennie Hansen's!
Susan
Great little story.
Dixie Bowman
good read
  • A Time for the Heart
  • Hearts in Hiding (Haggerty Mystery, #1)
  • Pathway Home  (Yesterday's Love, #4)
  • Rubies and Rebels