Start by marking “It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
It Shouldn't Happen to...

James Herriot

It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  3,770 ratings  ·  53 reviews
How did James Herriot come to be sitting on a high Yorkshire moor, smelling vaguely of cows? James has plenty to learn - but he loves it.
Audio, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1996 by Chivers Audio Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet

Julie
This is the 2nd of James Herriot's books. The first I just casually liked. But since then I have fallen in love. If you ever feel like cuddling by the fireplace with a cup of hot chocolate, but don't have a fireplace and have run out of hot chocolate, this book will suit just as well. They are just full of stories that make me laugh. I have to tell Brandon at least one or two each night, and he laughs too. Also, I am not an animal lover in the smallest degree, but I am while reading these. If yo ...more
YorkshireSue
Jan 14, 2008 YorkshireSue rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wishing to be moved to laughter and tears,animal lovers, complete chapter story lovers
Shelves: all-time-faves
Loved all the James Herriot books. My parents began to read them when I was maybe 10 or so and they would laugh out loud but I was far too cool to read what my parents did until one day I had a miserable toothache/earache and to take my mind off it I began to read one of this series of books. I too ended up laughing and simply being transported away to a different time, yet with places that seemed comfortingly familiar. (I'm from Yorkshire originally and was living there at this time.) I wrote m ...more
The second book of the series, once again containing beautifully detailed anecdotes. As I read I often found myself wondering whether Herriot kept a diary of his time at Skeldale house or whether he is just fabricating using his surroundings...? Well, whatever, because it makes for entertaining reading material.

I'd say I marginally prefer his first book, although this one had more of a laugh-out-loud quality to it. I have hungrily begun his next one, Let Sleeping Vets Lie.
Leslie
I am a late-comer to the Herriot books, but am utterly enchanted by the 1930's rural Yorkshire setting and the poignant, gently comic stories about the people and their animals. The old social customs are fascinating, as are the old veterinary treatments that have been replaced by modern drugs and procedures. Each vignette is a vivid glimpse into a world long gone, but full of charm and pathos. I really love these books and want to read everything the author ever wrote.
Maria
I remember reading one of the illustrated omnibus collections of James Herriot… All Creatures Great and Small. I absolutely loved it.

And I loved this one too. It's just as funny as all the others, especially the terrible luck he seems to have whenever he goes out on a date with Helen.

I laughed and snorted a good deal of the time, as well as gasping out: "I REMEMBER TRICKY WOO!" a few times.

Lovely book.
Tarika
James Herriot is delightful at any age. I've been reading him since I was in my early teens and now in my late twenties, he still makes me laugh out loud. His little world is so charming, his characters so real, I wish I could holiday there. A real treat - I recommend this to anyone who loves to read and loves to laugh.
Margaret
Amazon says: How on earth did James Herriot come to be sitting on a high Yorkshire moor, smelling vaguely of cows? James isn't sure, but he knows that he loves it. This second hilarious volume of memoirs contains more tales of James' unpredictable boss Siegfried Farnon, his charming student brother Tristan, animal mayhem galore and his first encounters with a beautiful girl called Helen. 'He can tell a good story against himself, and his pleasure in the beauty of the countryside in which he work ...more
Marie
Not quite as funny as the first book, but then that is hardly harsh criticism given that the first book was whoopingly hilarious. This one provided more in the way of a quiet chuckle, with a couple of laugh-out-loud exceptions. But Herriot's writing flows so naturally, is so unpretentiously off-the-cuff literary, that every yellowed page of our first edition virtually turns itself. This book also offers one of the most genuinely and straightforwardly loving depictions of a landscape that I have ...more
Michael O'Donnell
A wonderful read. The era, country side, resilience of the folk and the humour bought together in a book. Language was of the time. A man who chose a setting that was not his planned final destination. An apprenticeship that seems to have exceeded his plans. The journey can be better than the destination.
Deann Doolittle
I was introduced to James Herriot books by a Pastor's Wife that I met when I first got married. She said I would love his books and she was right. This was a perfect pick for my 2015 reading challenge on a book that was published the year I was born. Love his stories!
Sharon
read many years ago an enjoyable and captivating read, at the time I read all of Herriot's books about life as a Yorkshire vet. Just starting to rate books that pop up as recommendations that I may have read some time ago hence brevity.
Sam
This second book is not quite as laugh out loud funny as the first, but there are still plenty of moments which raise at least a chuckle. The author's disastrous attempts to court the beautiful Helen are brilliantly observed, and the characters of Siegfried and Tristan are stunning. The difference between the two brothers never ceases to raise a smile.
Violet
I did not think this book was that hilarious as the back cover thought. Yes there were a few funny stories int eh book maybe two or three. There where places in the story line where you were waiting to find out the outcome and the next chapter when on to something else. Lots of descriptions of snow and trying to get to the farms to visit, got tired of it after a while.

Boof
Oh how I love this series! This is pure comfort reading at its very best. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard reading a book. Picking up the books in this series is like catching up with a friend for a glass of red wine by the fire.

The characters are all so brilliantly drawn that I feel I know them all. To get to know about these burly Yorkshire farmers (with all their local dialect thrown in to boot) is a joy and a priviledge.

I was planning on a break before picking up number 3 i
Becky
Another entertaining audiobook. Really love how Yorkshire comes to life.
Emma
This is the 2nd in the series, and I love the antics of James Herriot. Everything seems to go wrong for him, including loosing a thermometer up a cows bum!
Merry B
Feb 13, 2014 Merry B rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, whether you like animals or not!
As with all his books, a favourite.
Erica
very enjoyable quick read
Emily
This was everything I expected it to be. Nothing more, nothing less.

I am from Herriot Country and therefore I really enjoyed the descriptions of the scenery and community. Even though the actual places and characters in the book aren't real, it's all very familiar and well-written. Some chapters dragged and I found myself skipping them and, as far as I'm aware, not missing out on a lot.

I'm not in any rush to read another Herriot but I think I might pick one up one day when I'm looking for anoth
Hilda
had this book for years, but never read it. found it in a box a little while ago, when doing some spring cleaning and decided to read it before i pass it on!
I'm now about half way through and really enjoying the read, brings back memories of the tv series "All Creatures Great and Small".
So glad i'm reading this fun book of true stories!

Glad i've read it, but wouldn't bother to buy it to read
Robert Day
Funny and heartwarming stories about a rural vet that nothing I could say here would give you the remotest flavour of how wonderful and real these stories are so ignore everything I say and just go out an buy them and fall in love. Having said that, I wonder if I like them because I'm from the same part of the world and can identify with the characters and their exploits? Oh, the horror!
Katie
One of the few books you should never read on public transport because people are likely to look askance at you when you fall on the floor laughing. Many of the situations described are so hilarious it is impossible not to laugh out loud. A delightful book, full of real classic Characters, both animal and human. Guaranteed to lift anyone's depression!
Sara Lou
It shouldn't happen to a vet, but it inevitably does. Nothing can compare to a good old read of a chapter or two of the good Vet JH and his constant perils when dealing with the animal kingdom in the northern regions. It's so easy to read and so funny I often find myself crying tears of laughter at whatever antics has beset the good doctor this time.
Elizabeth
Another awesome book by James Herriot. I read the All Creatures series a while back and these same stories are in the other book. I still love them. They still make me laugh and cry all at the same time. A good read for the younger crowd. They are simple, good-hearted and will hold attention.
Ria
Another brilliant volume of memoirs, some anecdotes are hilarious but the author also has a sympathetic tone recalling the down side of vetinary life.
Well worth reading but as with all volumes in series such as this NONE of the stories in my opinion can be read as a stand alone book.
Sam
I loved this book as a kid and it's certaintly one of the reasons why I always wanted to be a vet when I grew up (although didn't quite turn out that way) and I still enjoy reading it today. Its light-hearted and funny and really takes you away into the Yorkshire countryside
Sally
James Herriot gives you a good look at life as a rural vet, telling the good and the bad. I enjoy his stories very much, in part because I wanted to be a vet, and in part because I love animals. This book is as enjoyable as his others.
Anny
Fun and lighthearted read about a young vet in the rural county. Mishaps and cases involving farm animals, what kind of challenges a rural vet encounters (as opposed to their lucky city counterparts). An enjoyable one :)
  • The Corfu Trilogy
  • The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of My Father
  • The Dog Who Wouldn't Be
  • Living Free, Abridged Edition (A Sequel to Born Free)
  • The Cat Who Came in from the Cold
  • The Other Side of the Dale
  • Cats In The Belfry
  • James Herriot: The Life of a Country Vet
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...
All Creatures Great and Small All Things Bright and Beautiful All Things Wise and Wonderful The Lord God Made Them All All Creatures Great and Small & All Things Bright and Beautiful

“That quotation about not having time to stand and stare has never applied to me. I seem to have spent a good part of my life - probably too much - in just standing and staring and I was at it again this morning.” 15 likes