Start by marking “Counting on Frank” as Want to Read:
Counting on Frank

Counting on Frank

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  258 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Counting on Frank A boy and his dog present amusing counting, size comparison, and mathematical facts. Full description
Published March 28th 1994 by Houghton Mifflin (first published October 28th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Counting on Frank, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counting on Frank

Alayna Pope
Feb 01, 2016 Alayna Pope rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I really enjoyed this book that had so many math elements to it. I really like Rod Clement. He is a great author and illustrator. I like how it's from the point of view of the child. It gives the message about how we have brains and we are capable of doing so much. That's a valuable lesson for children to learn. I like the cute illustrations and how Frank is his best friend. I also like the little math problems in the back of the book that challenge the reader to use their brain. It would be a g ...more
Kalisha Mohammed
Jul 18, 2012 Kalisha Mohammed rated it it was amazing
One of the facts shared in the book Counting on Frank is that only ten humpback whales would fit
in the narrator’s house. I will have my students participate in an activity to determine the size of the narrator's house. I will provide an activity sheet to my student and ask them to calculate how large a box is needed to hold the average humpback whale. I will provide information on the typical length, width, and height of a humpback whale. They will need to provide the length, height, and width o
Madison Bopp
Jul 19, 2012 Madison Bopp rated it really liked it
This is a great book for estimation and volume, more for upper elementary. Before beginning the story, I would have students brainstorm what they already know about humpback whales. We would then come back together as a class and discuss what we know. I would then bring out more facts on the humpback whale that I would have already looked up. I would then ask the students, "By what we have learned, what size do you think a humpback whale is?" The students should explain how they came up with the ...more
Marcia
Oct 19, 2013 Marcia rated it it was amazing
I was first introduced to this book in college when I was taking a education course on teaching math in the elementary school...I still remember our professor reading it to us. He was going to read it then we were supposed to come up with other similar math problems we could use with our future students. The problem is that he started laughing so hard which in turn started all of us laughing that we never did the extra problems. Out of all of the children's books I have reread over the years, th ...more
Stef Rozitis
Jun 29, 2014 Stef Rozitis rated it liked it
Shelves: early-childhood
The Maths in this book is fantastic! It's playful, speculative, empowered and empowering! The book is a bit too complex and moves from concept to concept in a way that is hard to follow in early childhood (might be better in the Primary years).

Sometimes I like Clement's illustrations but this book- well some of them I just didn't like so much (i didn't hate them I was just meh).

My eleven year old loves the book and likes to reread it so....3 stars
Cynthia
May 03, 2014 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
I like to read this to my students (7th and 8th grade) as a starter for a discussion on estimating. They love for me to read to them, and they love the illustrations in this book. It's one of those I read to my "kids" every year.
Linda
On first reading my very mathematical, strategic, inventive 8 year old kept looking at me side-ways. He didn't take to it - whereas I thought he'd love it. He got the counting, but found the examples a bit silly, for example: "Look mum, the bathroom door's open, so the water should be rushing out already!". He gave it 3-stars.

Looking back I think that the narrative could have been tighter and the examples a little more relatable. The dogs worked, the TV didn't, the tree worked but then the cloth
Evelyn
Apr 05, 2012 Evelyn rated it really liked it
This book contains wonderful illustrations of a boy and his dog Frank. The boy, as he's referred to in the book, uses Frank as a unit of measure. The boy also calculates fascinating and interesting facts about peas (his least favorite vegetable), humpback whales, his father and the bathtub. It inspires readers to reconsider measurement and allows them to laugh at the same time. It is a wonderful book to teach students about interesting facts about numbers, calculation, and greater than or less t ...more
Chanelle
Nov 21, 2012 Chanelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
This book is great for introducing measurement with a second grade class! I like that this book focuses on a boy who thinks about real life objects and how they can take up specific spaces. I think it's interesting how he thinks outside of the box. As an activity, you could have your students think about different spaces in their homes and what and how much of something they could use to fill it up. It would be interesting to see where their thinking was and that could help guide you as to where ...more
Paula
Jan 15, 2016 Paula rated it liked it
Brenda
Oct 05, 2014 Brenda added it
Shelves: teaching
Jackie Harris
Mar 26, 2016 Jackie Harris rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I remember reading this with my little brother...happy memories.
Sara K.
Apr 28, 2014 Sara K. rated it really liked it
Very fun. And a nice measurement tie in.
Stacy
Sep 12, 2015 Stacy rated it liked it
a cute math read aloud book
Linh Vong
Apr 28, 2014 Linh Vong is currently reading it
great
Kathryn Hogan
I loved the images. The book is very creative and promotes estimation and advanced thinking. This book would be perfect for fourth graders. I am not quite sure exactly how factual the book is. I like heres how to use your brain in the back of the book. Great examples of measurements and lots of possible facts. I like how it includes the answer as well as the questions. This book could be a great way to evaluate students. This book would be great for any fourth grader.
Brittany Balunas
Jul 20, 2012 Brittany Balunas rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as a child. It is a cute story about a boy and his dog who think of everything as a math problem during his day. I could have the class calculate some of the problems and prove that his solutions are correct during math centers. Since these problems revolve around a little estimation, I could also create a lesson on estimation having students guess how many jelly beans are in a jar to tie into or introduce the book.
Aaron Alexander
This is a fun story that can be used with students in grades one through five. It can help students learn to use nonstandard measurement to measure things as well as estimate the length or size of different objects. You could do an activity with your students after reading this book by asking him to estimate the link or size of different things around the classroom using a nonstandard form of measurements such as jelly beans or pencil erasers.
Shannan
Aug 31, 2010 Shannan added it
Shelves: picture-books
When I first read this book I was captivated by the pictures. I think I spent more time looking at the details of the illustrations than anything else. This was also one of the first books that I read to my kids the spurred a math discussion. This is different than a lesson using the book. In our discussion we talked about numbers and in doing so understood the world at a deeper level.
Jessica Chambliss
Feb 02, 2012 Jessica Chambliss rated it liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, math
I like this book for a simple math lesson but that is about as far as it goes. The illustrations are fun and inventive but the book has somewhat simple math and unrealistic examples. It's okay for books to sometimes be unrealistic but when children are mentioning something about it maybe the book is not the right choice! Great for a simple math lesson not so great for older children.
Trang
Mar 19, 2012 Trang rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This is a great book to read to introduce numbers and math to children. Frank is actually the name of the dog in this book and his owner, who is unnamed, puts everything in terms of Frank or something else. Also great for counting! I would use this book to show children how math is all around us and to build positive attitudes about math.
Rachael
Mathematics are everywhere! Frank is a mathematician.. he sees math everywhere he looks! Where can we see math in our daily lives? What are some things we count/can count? How do you think he comes up with all of those facts?

A unit on quantity, a unit on scale, a unit on volume. How many ___ could we fit inside this square? our room?
Ashley Williams
Jan 24, 2012 Ashley Williams rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, ece-3601
This is a great book to read before a math lesson. It can be used to kick off estimating, counting and measurements for grades 1-3. After reading I would have the students count and estimate objects in he classroom like the little boy did in the book or they could measure differnt things found in the classroom as well.
Hatka Kecalovic
Feb 27, 2012 Hatka Kecalovic rated it really liked it
This book has several examples dealing with measurements and size of objects. This book can be used for lessons on measurements. This book can be used for lessons on greater than or less than. The students can compare the size of several objects as a follow-up activity. This book can be used in Pre-K to 5 grade classrooms.
Olivia Bailey
Sep 16, 2011 Olivia Bailey rated it it was ok
Shelves: math, adventure
This explores the option of math. It see how the boy relates math to his everyday life. Can use this to help students relate math to their every day life.
Use for morning math problems the questions in the back.
I could examine the mathematics on how he got his answers when making things bigger than they are.
Joyce Munzwandi
Grade level: K-3

This book can be used to teach measurement.I love how Frank connects the quantities and measurements things that are common to students. I would use this book to teach children about estimations. There are also several word problems at the back of the book which students can work on.
Seth Lebaron
Nov 30, 2012 Seth Lebaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math

The story was not clearly associated with math in a conventional sense, but in the back of the book are word problem that are associated with the story. The book could be used to help students relate math to real world problems. This book would be good for a math station.
Oana Cerchezan
Sep 30, 2012 Oana Cerchezan rated it liked it
This book would be great to use in a classroom to show comparison. A good activity to do with with the students would be to estimate how many humpback whales would fit in our classroom. Then I would do something more realistic. For example how many marbles would fit into a mason jar?
Heather Torgersen
Though I wasn't that big of a fan of the actual text, Counting on Frank is a great story that ties in math to literature. So many math concepts can be taught like counting, measuring, and estimation. The story also has awesome illustrations students are sure to love!
Chloe Alexander
Jul 03, 2012 Chloe Alexander rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math-bookshelf
I would use this book to teach about estimation and non-standard measurement. Even though some one the examples in the book seem inaccurate, I think it's supposed to reflect the way a child's mind works and not reality. The illustrations are cute, too.
  • Millions to Measure
  • Measuring Penny
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • Pigs Will Be Pigs: Fun with Math and Money
  • The Penny Pot
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • A Remainder of One
  • How Big Is a Foot?
  • Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?
  • Math for All Seasons