Start by marking “La Quatrième Main” as Want to Read:
La Quatrième Main

La Quatrième Main

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  22,533 Ratings  ·  872 Reviews
"Figurez-vous un homme qui s'apprête à vivre un événement éclair, la perte de sa main gauche, bien avant d'avoir la quarantaine." Pour une chaîne de télévision surnommée Calamitel, il est journaliste: un métier qui ne requiert pas forcément l'usage de ses deux mains. Quoique... Quel téléspectateur a envie de voir son journal présenté par un malchanceux qui s'est fait bouff ...more
Published April 8th 2002 by Seuil (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about La Quatrième Main, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Quatrième Main

Stephanie "Jedigal"
John Irving's characters are often quirky to say the least. Normally they draw one in. Irving's typical forays into the minds of the odd but believable individuals who populate his stories are usually irresistably intriguing. I have often had a difficult time putting an Irving novel down.

This novel for some reason does not work. The characters did not interest me, and I neither liked nor disliked most of them. The plot drags on. I often considered putting the book down for good, and not finishi
Rea
Apr 10, 2008 Rea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For the standard that is John Irving, this book was so disappointing. I don't think he had much of a story and was depending on his characteristic literary traits to hold the story together, but unfortunately it backfired and instead of sustaining a mediocre story, turned all the things I loved about him into clichés and far-stretched half baked ideas. Do not judge Irving by this book, he is so much better than this!
J
May 29, 2010 J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-fiction
This story, with all its unlikely characters and the attendant twists and turns, has John Irving's mark all over it. John Irving is with out a doubt, my favorite living American writer. It therefore comes as no surprise that I would find this book enjoyable.

For me, the characters are believable and their stories come together to reveal the intricacies that tie them all to one another. Patrick Wallingford is a sympathetic enough character in that his initial shallowness makes him someone whom I
Schmacko
On John Irving, I have six thoughts:
1. He always seems to have a discombobulated male as his central character, Garp, the narrator in A Prayer for Owen Meany, the dad in The Hotel New Hampshire, and the young orphan in The Cider House Rules. They can be clueless, happy-go-lucky, confused, aimless, grief-stricken…
2. There is also always some intriguing but slightly distant female.
3. Irving loves the little bits of weirdness, like the woman in the bear costume in The Hotel New Hampshire.
4. Irving
Michael
Nov 17, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, 2000s
While at work on the massive tome that became Until I Find You, John Irving took a break to work on the comedic and relatively short novel, The Fourth Hand. Irving began it hoping it would be his first comedy since The Water-Method Man.

The Fourth Hand is quite funny, especially in the earlier chapters, but it ends up growing out of its original intentions; by the end, you're not reading a comedy. It's not a sad book, but it is bittersweet in a way that will be familiar to John Irving fans.

Patr
Zack Brown
May 18, 2007 Zack Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading John Irving’s The Fourth Hand. While it is worth noting that I have previously read both The World According to Garp and A Prayer for Owen Meany, found each to be better than The Fourth Hand, and recommend that you read both, The Fourth Hand is especially significant today--two days after the Virginia Tech shooting.

The Fourth Hand is a story that follows a cad of a television field reporter who loses his left hand to an Indian circus lion while on an assignment. The repo
Allison
Mar 18, 2011 Allison rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It pains me, LITERALLY PAINS ME, to give a John Irving novel anything less than 4 stars. He is among my favorite living authors, and I typically wholeheartedly enjoy the stories he tells and the vivid characters he creates. But this one... well, it just fell flat for me. I could not relate to or care about any of the characters, the storyline was rather blah, and while I truly truly love him, Irving's writing STYLE and "voice" aren't visual music for me the way Nicole Krauss or Marianne Wiggins ...more
Noce
Jul 02, 2015 Noce rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"La quarta mano": cioè la quarta di quaranta che sarebbero servite a Irving per scrivere qualcosa che fosse anche solo lontanamente paragonabile a "Il mondo secondo Garp" o "Preghiera per un amico".
Jim
Feb 07, 2015 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know that John Irving is a human being. I’ve seen him in person; therefore I know that he is human, which is to say, flawed. I accept that. What I have not accepted—until reading “The Fourth Hand”—is that he is a flawed writer. As a MASSIVE John Irving fan, I have genuinely loved every novel he published prior to this one, from the middle-aged suburban angst of “The 158-Pound Marriage” to the exotic lunacy of “A Son of the Circus” (which required three attempts before I could actually even mak ...more
Caroline
Jun 05, 2012 Caroline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This novel follows the highlights and troughs in the life of Patrick Wallingford, a journalist working for a trashy 24-hour TV news station.

Whilst covering a story in India, he gets one of his hands bitten off by a circus lion. A surgeon shows interest in trying a hand transplant, and shortly after this Doris Clausen, a newly widowed woman who saw the lion episode on television, offers one of her husband's hands for the operation....on the condition she can have visiting rights to see the hand
Michał Michalski
Jan 02, 2016 Michał Michalski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Długo nie "wchodziło", ale jak już weszło to ojezusmaria.
Tim LaVoie
2.5. Unsurprisingly, The Fourth Hand is impeccably written. Irving has a way with words that makes me fly through his books and is an extraordinary storyteller. My problem with this one is that from page one, I never bought the actual story. It's just too bizarre to ever really care about. A TV journalist's hand is bitten off by a lion in India on live TV, he gets on the list for an experimental hand transplant, the hand doc is SNL skit strange, someone accidentally shoots themselves and dies in ...more
Thomas Strömquist
Good. Odd. A bit short but definitely worth it. Lots of dark humor and good characters.
Robert C.
Sep 29, 2014 Robert C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For to have laboured for many years and to have fashioned a small brown cylindrical, tapered object has got to be much more disappointing, and confusing to an author than it can ever be to me. All I've lost is 2 days of the opportunity to read something better. He has lost so much more.

Witness any movie, any person walking down the street, any building, anything and you see something that someone has spent years and tears fashioning and moulding and creating. That young girl you passed on the st
Keith
Oct 30, 2013 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each time I read an Irving novel my response is always the same; how can I describe his writing style? How do I explain it to myself? First, his humor, that in the beginning seems so cynical. Perhaps it's social satire, or maybe farce is a better term. However it's described, his characters slowly become real, textured individuals that I actually begin to empathize with and care about. Patrick Wallingford is an on-camera reporter for a twenty-four hour, sensationalist news network, with a less t ...more
Sandy
Jan 17, 2011 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Fourth Hand, John Irivings 2004 bestseller, is the story of a talking head who works for a TV version of the National Enquirer. What is sordid, outrageous, and not really worthy of our attention is the stuff of the network for which Patrick Wallingford reports.

His own maiming while by a lion in India while he is reporting a story about the circus industry makes him the subject of his own network's reporting. He becomes The Lion Guy, One-Hand.

He also becomes the subject of a medical experimen
Ruthie
Mar 04, 2013 Ruthie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read A Prayer For Owen Meany last year and loved it so much that I wanted to read more of this amazing author John Irving.

The Fourth Hand was not what I expected. I'm not sure why I wasn't prepared for it, considering that the words "sexual farce" were written in the summary on the front flap of the book. The best way I know to describe this novel is: a mix of John Steinback and Fifty Shades of Grey. (Don't panic, friends - I haven't read and don't intend to read Fifty Shades. I've heard enoug
Hilary G
Dec 11, 2012 Hilary G rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ex Bookworm group review:

I mentioned in my review reminder that I was reading this book for the second time because I had read it on holiday and couldn't remember anything about it. As I have re-read the first hundred pages or so, I've come to the realisation that I still won't remember that much about it because it isn't really about anything – or not anything I care about, anyway.

My biggest problem with the book is that it just tries too damn hard, to be clever and funny and, I suppose, Irving
Monica
Apr 10, 2015 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the best John Irving book I've read...but it's still up there when it comes to great writing. The story is a comedy and a tragedy, all rolled up into one of those meandering stories that Irving is good at writing. He moves from one character to the next, letting the reader into learn more about each. I wish the book had been a bit longer...and the ending a bit more ridiculous. Because that is why I read Irving...for that unpredictable jolt for the ordinary.
Andrew Harkless
Feb 03, 2015 Andrew Harkless rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found The Fourth Hand a highly entertaining read with an interesting premise—what are some of the moral and ethical issues associated with appendage transplants versus internal organs? As usual, Irving creates some slightly odd but memorable characters and does an excellent job of moving them and the story forward with his particularly unique style of humor, shock, and sensitivity. I tire of some Amazon reviewers comparing an author’s novels to that author’s past works. An American gem like Jo ...more
David Wrubel
I will admit to being a huge fan of Irving's, and though this is not one of his best known works at all, it is sneaky good and its themes seem to keep popping up when you least expect it.

The Plot: In India, an American journalist accidentally has his left hand is eaten by a lion. Sounds contrived, but it works. And back in the States, a famous surgeon is chomping at the bit for the chance to perform the nation's first hand transplant. And he does, with great success.

Here comes the real plot twis
Heather
Nov 21, 2014 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, contemporary
Too quirky, the writing seem forced, and in general, a slapdash effort. I have enjoyed every other Irving book I've read - so this was a big disappointment. I understand he wrote this book while also writing "until I found you". It seemed like he had a somewhat formed idea for a book and threw a loose story around it with unlike able characters.
Ashley
Dec 30, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Irving is a great storyteller and his books always keep my interest. This just wasn't one of his better stories. Still worth the read if you like his writing.

okay not much a review, I love Irving but couldn't finish this book. My review is based on that it is perfect for holding my coffee mug in the morning, every morning. So a very good book for that. The hand missing and weird relationship with the woman and then the traveling back and forth and whatnot? I will have to revisit this at a later time but for now there are way too many books to get through. The book will remain a prop for my beloved coffee until further notice.
Dark-Draco
At first, this book had me confused and a little disbelieving, but once I decided to take the author's style as being a way to openly laugh at his own characters, I immediately got on with it better. And laugh you kind of have to. With the main character only finding meaning in life AFTER his hand is bitten off by a lion, and with the widow of a man who'd donated his hand for transplant, you have to laugh at the slight absurdity of it all.

Unfortunately, I always want to compare any of Irving's b
Katie Shacklett
Jun 04, 2014 Katie Shacklett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love John Irving. I hate this book. This seems to be a general consensus among all John Irving fans. The worst part is that I chose this book to introduce my husband to John Irving, so now he thinks I'm crazy, even though I keep insisting that this book doesn't even hold a candle to A Prayer For Owen Meany, Hotel New Hampshire, or The World According to Garp. Sure, there are the expected Irving elements: the basic quirky characters, the awkwardly realistic awkward sex scenes, the obligatory Ge ...more
Dave Kramer
This is the first book I've read by John Irving, and I expected so much more. His reputation is such that I'll give him another try, but this seemed awfully amateurish (albeit with occasional moments of golden prose) and I wonder whether he's reached the stature that he can overrule any editor's suggestions. If so, bad move, John.

The story follows a TV journalist for a sensationalist TV News network who loses his hand to a lion while the camera is rolling. He has an opportunity to undergo the fi
Gila Gila
this did fine for reading while battling pneumonia and fever. i just kept saying, well THAT's ridiculous, and that's offensive, and that's pointless, but bumbled along. i suppose john irving could make a sourdough recipe into a good enough rambling story, but i'd rather have the bread. wait. i'm obviously still sick. stop typing. ok.
Keith Dickson
Not one of his best books. I felt that he seemed to lose the interesting off the wall character that the book began with, in the second half. Almost like he ran out of interest in the characters and just finished the story off. It it unusual for his characters to be introduced and then not developed further and left up in the air at the end.
A
May 16, 2014 A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Irving can meander and digress as well as any writer. He does far too much of it in this book. It’s a series of interludes with a rather patchy central theme – a handsome nonentity without much personality who eventually begins to grow up.
Irving is a good writer and there are, as always in his books, some well-turned phrases, eccentric characters and funny moments. The whole thing doesn’t seem to hang together very well, though. It’s as if Irving came up with an idea for a character, like t
Goodreads Librari...: Change description 2 12 Dec 10, 2015 05:40PM
  • Borderliners
  • Hollywood
  • Kinflicks
  • Kaaterskill Falls
  • Hruškadóttir (Islandská novela)
  • Deep in the Shade of Paradise
  • Jackie Brown
  • The Grid
  • De grote wereld
  • Half Moon Street
  • Mystery Ride
  • Het pauperparadijs
JOHN IRVING was born in Exeter, New Hampshire, in 1942. His first novel, Setting Free the Bears, was published in 1968, when he was twenty-six. He competed as a wrestler for twenty years, and coached wrestling until he was forty-seven.
Mr. Irving has been nominated for a National Book Award three times—winning once, in 1980, for his novel The World According to Garp. He received an O. Henry Award
More about John Irving...

“Lemties neįmanoma įžvelgti, nebent jei sapnuoji ar esi apsvaigęs iš meilės.” 1 likes