Start by marking “Moondog, The Viking of 6th Avenue: The Authorized Biography” as Want to Read:
Moondog, The Viking of 6th Avenue: The Authorized Biography

Moondog, The Viking of 6th Avenue: The Authorized Biography

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  10 reviews
"Moondog is one of America’s great originals."—Alan Rich, New York Magazine

Here is one of the most improbable lives of the twentieth century: a blind and homeless man who became the most famous eccentric in New York and who, with enormous diligence, rose to prominence as an internationally respected music presence.

Born Louis Thomas Hardin in 1916, Moondog first made an imp
Published October 1st 2007 by Process

To ask other readers questions about Moondog, The Viking of 6th Avenue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moondog, The Viking of 6th Avenue

Tosh
Throughout my whole life I have heard of, or was aware of Moondog, but oddly enough I didn't listen to his music till a year ago. My family had the first Moondog album - and it is perhaps one of the first records that I was aware of - nevertheless I avoided him I think mostly because the way he looked. And he was old! So, about a year ago, I began to play his music, and it was a "oh wow" moment for me. Now, I can't get enough of him, and I'm still surprised in finding his music so fresh sounding ...more
Mike
Jan 14, 2008 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like good music, funny hats
Man I love Moondog and it's so great to see the ascendancy of his work amongst young listeners thanks to the great Honest Jons comp. from the other year and that sweet grey area reissue of the 'Snaketime' record and etc.

Lots of great, thorough scholarship went into this book. It's not super well written but at least it's not OVER written unlike so many music books. That makes certain clunky passages or repetitious ones a lot less bothersome to me.

The accompanying CD -- which features the debut r
J.
That such an interesting life could be the subject of such a tedious, numbing tome is a feat in and of itself. A testament to the author's committment to pretentious prose.
Amy
Jun 11, 2008 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: non-fic
Moondog was a fascinating musician and person. Blinded at 16 by an accidental explosion, he moved from Wyoming(?) to New York City in the late 1940s. Moondog lived on the streets or in hotels for the most part, performing his music for anyone who would hear with instruments of his own making. He made his own clothes, started dressing as a viking, and moved to Europe in the 1970s to be closer to his roots. Moondog made several albums and influenced many artists. This book is an authorized biograp ...more
Stevenson
Inspiring tale of one man's determination to make his music count for something. From blind street musician to one of the 20th century's most inspiring composers. Fantastic - plus a free CD!
Forest Juziuk
The writing is a touch flowery & the book is a bit of a slog with some peculiar movements between spans of time. Interesting nonetheless, a remarkable if somewhat difficult document.
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Pretty good, but too dry and academic for my taste.
Giles
Too bad that such a weak story teller tackled such a mysterious subject. i'm really interested to know about moondog's life, but can't get myself to pick the book up again. the author goes on all these digressions about what it must have been like for moondog growing up that are truly vacuous. oh well
Ryan
couldnt even get through it. Found it poorly written, or maybe I just didnt like the authors approach. Either way, I thought it was a turd.
Craig B
This nearly ended up in the bath with me after 50 or so pages. Great CD - although there are better Moondog collections/releases on offer.
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Celeste
Celeste marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
John Morgan
John Morgan marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Evgeniy
Evgeniy marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Taran Burns
Taran Burns marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Ezra
Ezra marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Cláudia Costa
Cláudia Costa marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Leroy Rodriguez
Leroy Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Beattie Wood
Beattie Wood marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Dawn Marie
Dawn Marie marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Davis Engelis
Davis Engelis marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Cole Porter
  • Space is the Place: The Lives and Times of Sun Ra
  • Genesis of a Music
  • Krautrocksampler
  • Eye Mind: Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators
  • Captain Beefheart: The Biography
  • Hold On to Your Dreams: Arthur Russell and the Downtown Music Scene, 1973-1992
  • What's Welsh for Zen: The Autobiography of John Cale