Start by marking “The Betterphoto Guide to Digital Photography” as Want to Read:
The Betterphoto Guide to Digital Photography

The Betterphoto Guide to Digital Photography

Digital cameras are the hot new tech toy-but many of the millions of people who are buying the cameras aren't getting the most out of their new purchase. Mysterious icons, strange jargon, a dizzying array of imaging software and hardware...stumbling blocks quickly become tools to create great pictures with The BetterPhoto Guide to Digital Photography. This practical, lesso ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Amphoto Books

To ask other readers questions about The Betterphoto Guide to Digital Photography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Betterphoto Guide to Digital Photography

Schnaucl
I consider myself a novice photographer but I found this book far more helpful than BetterPhoto Basics: The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Taking Photos Like a Pro. It seemed more detailed with more specific assignments. Subjects were covered in more depth and all the fundamentals were covered. The pictures were gorgeous.

Recommended.

ETA: Some of the technical information about cameras is a little outdated now (for example, most point and shoots no longer have an optical viewfinder and you can get
Feb 11, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craftycrafty, 2010
Although definitely beginner-oriented, this book also contains a lot of information, and the sample photos are fab. I was so happy with it overall that I'm not even docking a star for the constant name-dropping of the BetterPhoto website :-P It's also not a book that you need a dSLR to benefit from, although if your camera doesn't have any kind of manual controls at all, you might just end up frustrated.
Cade
Sep 05, 2009 Cade rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Amature Photographers
A good primer on the basics of photography. I had just purchased a DSLR camera and did not have much of a clue as to how best manipulate to camera to get the photos I was after. This book was a great start for learning those skills. Easy to understand with clear photos to demonstrate the differences between camera settings. It also has a good explanation of how to read and use a histogram.
Dana
Jun 12, 2007 Dana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: beginner photographers
This is a very good beginner's guide to photography. I am still working my way through it and almost to the end. It is a very simplistic breakdown of the basics. I highly recommend it to someone who is a beginner or needs a refresher on the basics
Katherine
Jan 15, 2010 Katherine rated it really liked it
This was the book selected for my intro to photography class. I found the chapters easy to read and very helpful. I will continue to refer to the book as it is a good resource for the beginning photographer.
Faye
May 17, 2008 Faye rated it it was amazing
This is one of the better books that I have seen for photography.
Marlo
Aug 07, 2010 Marlo rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to, art
I have a copy of this book signed by the author. More than a how-to guide, it has inspiring images and great ideas to get your photography to the next level.
Jim Grasley
Sep 05, 2010 Jim Grasley rated it it was amazing
We choose this book to teach from when we started our Photography Club. Excellent book on understanding digital photography.
Bryan Bowden
Aug 25, 2008 Bryan Bowden rated it it was amazing
This is a very informative and easy to read book that gives a nice run down of not only digital photography, but photography in general. Excellent informative book.
Lindsay
Jan 29, 2009 Lindsay rated it liked it
Three stars for a 'how-to' book. (Which is much different than a three-star rating for non-fiction or fiction.)
Sue Klasing
Jun 05, 2016 Sue Klasing rated it really liked it
Good Technical Book
Jesse Booth
Jan 30, 2013 Jesse Booth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
A great introductory guide to photography. I plan on using many of the techniques described in this book with my future photographing projects.
Shana
Jan 15, 2009 Shana rated it it was amazing
Great author, great tips, user friendly, practical advice, expressed in layman's terms...can't say enough good things about this book...worth every penny
Heather Condiff
Jun 26, 2011 Heather Condiff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: instructive
Loved this! It was so easy to follow and it gave me some great ways to look at photography that I hadn't thought of before. Made me hungry for new ideas and subjects for me to shoot. ;-)
Deirdre
Jan 03, 2013 Deirdre rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
This was the book that got me out of auto. I think it's a great first photography book to help a new photographer to understand his or her first dslr. Everything was explained very clearly.
Katie
Sep 15, 2008 Katie rated it it was ok
helpful info. for a rookie photographer
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2012
Scott Sharkey
Scott Sharkey rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Athena
Athena rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2010
Breanne
Breanne rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2016
Shelley
Shelley rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2011
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Richard Gouse
Richard Gouse rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Kendra Christoph
Kendra Christoph rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2013
Robert Bogdan
Robert Bogdan rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Sheryl
Sheryl rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2011
Melinda Chadwick
Melinda Chadwick rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2009
Calyan
Calyan rated it did not like it
Nov 11, 2014
Kaylee
Kaylee rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Tao Zhang
Tao Zhang rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color and Composition in Photography
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 4)
  • How to Photograph Absolutely Everything: Successful Pictures from Your Digital Camera
  • It Takes a Pillage: Behind the Bailouts, Bonuses, and Backroom Deals from Washington to Wall Street
  • National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures
  • Hiss and Tell
  • VisionMongers: Making a Life and a Living in Photography
  • Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jim Miotke is a bestselling author, founder of BetterPhoto.com, and a healed ex-zombie.

After building up an online business and authoring seven photography books, Jim found himself in need of a new start in life. Putting the motivational techniques in his book "Zombie Motivation" into practice, Jim lost 60lbs, revitalized his marriage, and started living a lifestyle of success, fulfillment, and g
More about Jim Miotke...