The BetterPhoto Guide to Digital Photography (BetterPhoto Series)

The BetterPhoto Guide to Digital Photography (BetterPhoto Series)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Digital cameras are the hot new tech toy-but many of the millions of people who are buying the cameras aren't getting the most out of their new purchase. Mysterious icons, strange jargon, a dizzying array of imaging software and hardware...stumbling blocks quickly become tools to create great pictures with The BetterPhoto Guide to Digital Photography. This practical, lesso...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Amphoto Books

Schnaucl
I consider myself a novice photographer but I found this book far more helpful than BetterPhoto Basics: The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Taking Photos Like a Pro. It seemed more detailed with more specific assignments. Subjects were covered in more depth and all the fundamentals were covered. The pictures were gorgeous.

Recommended.

ETA: Some of the technical information about cameras is a little outdated now (for example, most point and shoots no longer have an optical viewfinder and you can get...more
Although definitely beginner-oriented, this book also contains a lot of information, and the sample photos are fab. I was so happy with it overall that I'm not even docking a star for the constant name-dropping of the BetterPhoto website :-P It's also not a book that you need a dSLR to benefit from, although if your camera doesn't have any kind of manual controls at all, you might just end up frustrated.
Cade
Sep 05, 2009 Cade rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Amature Photographers
A good primer on the basics of photography. I had just purchased a DSLR camera and did not have much of a clue as to how best manipulate to camera to get the photos I was after. This book was a great start for learning those skills. Easy to understand with clear photos to demonstrate the differences between camera settings. It also has a good explanation of how to read and use a histogram.
Dana
Jun 12, 2007 Dana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginner photographers
This is a very good beginner's guide to photography. I am still working my way through it and almost to the end. It is a very simplistic breakdown of the basics. I highly recommend it to someone who is a beginner or needs a refresher on the basics
Katherine
This was the book selected for my intro to photography class. I found the chapters easy to read and very helpful. I will continue to refer to the book as it is a good resource for the beginning photographer.
Heather Condiff
Loved this! It was so easy to follow and it gave me some great ways to look at photography that I hadn't thought of before. Made me hungry for new ideas and subjects for me to shoot. ;-)
Deirdre
This was the book that got me out of auto. I think it's a great first photography book to help a new photographer to understand his or her first dslr. Everything was explained very clearly.
Bryan Bowden
This is a very informative and easy to read book that gives a nice run down of not only digital photography, but photography in general. Excellent informative book.
Marlo
I have a copy of this book signed by the author. More than a how-to guide, it has inspiring images and great ideas to get your photography to the next level.
Shana
Great author, great tips, user friendly, practical advice, expressed in layman's terms...can't say enough good things about this book...worth every penny
Jesse Booth
A great introductory guide to photography. I plan on using many of the techniques described in this book with my future photographing projects.
Jim Grasley
We choose this book to teach from when we started our Photography Club. Excellent book on understanding digital photography.
Lindsay
Three stars for a 'how-to' book. (Which is much different than a three-star rating for non-fiction or fiction.)
Faye
This is one of the better books that I have seen for photography.
Kelina Foley
Really easy to follow. Photos for dummies.
Katie
helpful info. for a rookie photographer
Rusty Mensch
Rusty Mensch marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Jason
Jason is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2014
Randall
Randall marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Jeana
Jeana added it
Mar 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jim Miotke is the author of the bestselling BetterPhoto guidebook series and the founder of BetterPhoto.com.

Librarian note: There is more than one author in the database by this name. See other authors with similar names.
More about Jim Miotke...
BetterPhoto Basics: The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Taking Photos Like a Pro The Betterphoto Guide to Digital Nature Photography The BetterPhoto Guide to Photographing Children The BetterPhoto Guide to Creative Digital Photography: Learn to Master Composition, Color, and Design Absolute Beginner's Guide to Taking Great Photos