Start by marking “Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven, But Nobody Wants to Die, or (the eschatology of bluegrass)” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  407 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
The conflict between the here and now and the ever after is a familiar one. Death and life are forever intertwined, as a life lived to the fullest includes pain and grief. Even more, it requires dying to self, which frees one to experience a greater joy: community. Thus explains best- selling recording artist David Crowder as he explores the complex relationship between li ...more
Published September 12th 2006 by Relevant Books

Be the first to ask a question about Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven, But Nobody Wants to Die, or

Jen
Mar 18, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it
My primary interest in purchasing this book was because I am a fan of the David Crowder Band. I must say that this book is a direct reflection of the band's personality, David Crowder in particular. It was quirky and funny, and not overly intellectual.

Crowder and Hogan were able to take a difficult subject and bring it to a lay-person's level. But, this book is not for everyone. Not all readers will follow their writing style or their commentary. With that said, I thought their approach was bril
Ruthie
Oct 22, 2008 Ruthie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ruthie by: Marcus, Kendra
I loved this book. When I read it again someday, I will do it with an erasable crayon in my hand, marking it up like I do my Bible. There were so many things that I wanted to come back to and think about some more. Like my little brother said, "I don't feel like I understood any of it... it's like it just seeped into my soul through the cracks ... it wasn't a book that I read, it was a book I experienced."

I read it the first time for the experience. I think I'll come back to again someday to und
Craig
May 17, 2012 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviewing this book is like attempting to review the Mona Lisa or Beethovens 7th Symphony. As with his music David Crowder's writing style is unashamedly unique, and with the subject matter drawing together such themes as death, the soul, love and loss, why bad things happen to good people and the history and beauty of bluegrass music this book makes for an interesting read both academically and artistically.

The artful weaving of scientific research, musical history, theology, emotion and the di
David Crowder cracks me up! I so enjoy reading his books because I know that I will be rolling down the aisles with laughter one moment, and then pondering his profound wisdom the next. This book had the perfect mixture of poignancy and humor, I never felt like the one drowned the other out. It was never too serious or too silly. I would read a page and have to run off because what I was reading was so good I just had to share it with someone. Needless to say, I l-o-v-e-d this book. It was amazi ...more
Jenn
Aug 03, 2011 Jenn added it
This really disappointed me. I felt that the authors spent way too much time trying to be quirky/artsy than they did in dealing with the subject matter. In the few instances where they honestly conveyed their emotions surrounding the loss of loved ones, it was great, but those were too few by far. And I don't feel they taught the reader anything about bluegrass, either. I cannot recommend the book. =[
Dayna Reid
Jun 08, 2014 Dayna Reid rated it it was ok
One of the best thoughts shared in the book was:

"Grieving Process – there is a comfort in this, in the predictability of exactly how you will be miserable." -Crowder

Overall, this book seems scattered, as if the authors weren't sure what their point was either. Maybe that is the point ... they don't have a point. Littered with story, quotes, conversation and historical analysis, the book concludes with no real conclusion to tie it all together. Given that the author is a song writer, I would gues
Seth Comfort
Jan 10, 2011 Seth Comfort rated it really liked it
The book club that I am in just finished reading the book "Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven But Nobody Wants to Die or (the eschatology of bluegrass)" by David Crowder and Mike Hogan.

What a title! What a book! This is a great read, not at all what I expected before I read it, but it was a great book and I would recommend it.

To me, this book was like 4 small books all mixed together into one book that tackles the subject of loss, grief, suffering and how we can deal with death and tragedy. Those 4
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it did not like it
After a few dozen pages, I found myself unexpectedly charmed by this quirky and mystifying book, but that charm was not enough to make me unreservedly like it. I borrowed the book from a friend based solely on David Crowder's name. I am not a huge fan of his music, but I lived in Waco for four years, and he was one of those beloved local celebrities, the guy with something of a national profile who you still saw at a local Tex-Mex restaurant about half the time you stopped in for a bite. So I pi ...more
Andrew
Jun 30, 2011 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grief
Every third or fourth book I pick up tends to be a book that has to do with death and grief. I guess I need that steady stream of wisdom and companionship, to know that I don't sit alone on "the mourners bench" as Nicholas Wolterstorf puts it.

So I finally picked up David Crowder and Mike Hogan's Everyone Wants to Go to Heaven But Nobody Wants to Die. I knew that the David Crowder Band had worked through some grief of their own (their close friend and pastor died tragically, but I'll spare you th
Blaine Motsinger
Feb 25, 2013 Blaine Motsinger rated it really liked it
The whole book seemed to flow together so well, it really was an experience and not just educational discussion on death and grief.

I'd call most of this book art, in the sense that it's not typically written to follow a normal flow. Again, it's an experience more than an immersive story where you identify with characters.

It's a bit hard to explain my experience while reading the book. I felt very intrigued by the level of creativity with the horizontally guided story, then when their paths merge
J. Alfred
These are some fascinating individuals. I saw them in concert once, and was blown away. Also, they made a robot? Robot is probably the wrong word, but they made a machine from pistons and a drum, so it was a drum that played itself. It did a solo. They called it Steve3PO. Whatever.
So anyway, they are wildly smart and they wrote a book. I read the book. It is amazing, specifically the vulnerability involved in it: this is the book that I would have written at fifteen were I brilliant and Christia
Jackie
Oct 13, 2011 Jackie rated it liked it
This book made me smile and laugh often, which is surprising considering it is a book about death. I especially appreciated the jab at folks who enjoy Nickelback--haha! The best part was when they got honest about how they felt about their friend/pastor dying unexpectedly.

The two authors use commentary on the history of bluegrass, the history of how mankind views the soul, a series of instant messages to one another, and columns with symbolic stories to make up the book. I would have rather they
Lauren Alexander
Jul 21, 2015 Lauren Alexander rated it really liked it
“And when we rise, and when we rise, and when we notice that the sky has been around us all along. We have been walking into it. It has been this constant collision. Divinity and depravity.”

A dear friend gave me this book when my mom passed away. I wasn’t ready to read it when she gave it to me, and I waited some time, but I’m glad I eventually did read it. The authors are incredibly vulnerable throughout the book and I felt connected to them as they discuss their loss, and dealing with the pai
Jerry-Mac
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Jerick
Apr 19, 2007 Jerick rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Amazing read! There was just a few flaws in the book. It started off slow, the real message of the book didn't hit until the last two chapters. In the beginning there was just a lot of history (which was amazing), the authors went into depth about the human soul and the history behind where people through time thought the soul resided. It was a good book, and a good way of learning more about suffering a loss and dealing with that pain than ever before. Plus it was good getting to know the membe ...more
Shannon Quay
Feb 16, 2010 Shannon Quay rated it liked it
Another Christmas gift from Hilary. There is a banjo on the cover, which is good news. David Crowder talks about the origins and beliefs about the soul (i.e. where it comes from, its purpose, etc.).

I forget how bluegrass fits in to the soul story, but it seemed like a nice idea. I had trouble reading this book. Probably because I was thinking things like, "David Crowder, stop trying to be funny. Just talk to me about your friends that just died." But he didn't listen, so most of the book was Da
John Yuehan
Jun 06, 2013 John Yuehan rated it really liked it
Is there a concrete point in this book? Nope.

Still, it was a fun read and not a book that can be easily understood. Perhaps not even to the authors themselves... But fans of crowder will like the book and the quirkiness of it.... Much like the album, the book is quite in a fashion of conceptual thinking and basically finding connection of meaning of death and bluegrass. Which is absurd in the 1st place, but they mange to pull it off just by slightest margin...

Its a good book, but not for everyb
Jt
Feb 19, 2016 Jt added it
Shelves: worship
fun read
Dana
Jun 08, 2010 Dana rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People that might die someday.
Recommended to Dana by: My husband.
An amazing piece literary of art. This book has some incredible challenges about the soul and death. The two authors have intertwined the history of bluegrass, history of the brain and soul, three short stories (that are written in three columns that make you have to turn the book sidewise to read...and the stories eventually merge together by the end), an few im conversations between the two authors about the progression of the book...and death. It made me cry at the end. They were happy tears.
Merrin
Sep 10, 2007 Merrin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who've had to deal with death
Shelves: books-about-god
I don't think I was really in the right state of mind to read this book. I haven't grieved for anyone but my cat in a while and couldn't connect to some of what they were talking about. And then they spent A LOT of time in the middle presenting all the research they did about man's view of the soul through history, all to end up at the same point they began. An interesting read, especially if you're wanting to know more about the great soul debate through time, but not especially terrific.
Annalee
Apr 02, 2007 Annalee rated it it was amazing
A jaunt through various topics, including bluegrass music and shifting societal views of the soul, and how they contribute to a Christian response to death. Very interesting, fairly postmodern in its presentation. I especially liked the "History of the Soul" chapters. And, well, if you didn't think you could laugh while reading a book about death, give it a try. This is the first book, especially the first one about death, in which I've ever read the word "Booyah." Twice.
Lucy
Jan 19, 2010 Lucy rated it it was ok
Interesting book. It's a little hard to describe and jumps around a bit but I think I like it overall. It's about death and the history of bluegrass and how they relate and how we deal with death and the soul and the author's personal experiences (especially one with a sudden death of a close friend) and grief and how bluegrass music came out of suffering and dealing with the struggle.
Annie
Jun 09, 2009 Annie rated it liked it
Probably the second most confusing reading material I have ever read (the first being related to politics and/or science). Not that I cared...

I had a jolly old time reading this book, it's just that if you're reading this book because it's a "christian book", it's not so very helpful. I'd suggest you read the Bible to learn about heaven before you read this book!
Christopher Reyes
Aug 13, 2012 Christopher Reyes rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-god-reads
I love how Crowder and Hogan can put together something as truthful and profound as accepting and dealing with death in our lives through his shared experience, the history of bluegrass music, witty humor, and how and where God fits in it all, and using a touching, parabalic story of how many seemingly unrelated lives are affected by a single event. Well done!
Keith Bell
Autographed even! A great book on Bluegrass, loss and grief. Quirky and clever in a DCB kinda way. I didn't realize that the Pastor that got electrocuted in the Baptismal was the Pastor of the church Crowder helped establish in Waco, Tx. Gonna listen to "A Collision or (3+4=7)" album again, apparently the theme is death and grief.
Daniel
Feb 12, 2015 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book, kinda bizarre in places, but still very enjoyable and interesting. It deepened my understanding of the reality that we all will die, which makes life in the present and God's good gifts even more precious, and the life to come even more imminent. See Revelation 22:20-21.
Victoria
Nov 09, 2007 Victoria rated it liked it
Good but weird ! But then again, what would you exspect from David Crowder! :) I think that I enjoyed his first book a lot more. This one just is not as happy, but then again it is about coping with death.I did really enjoy his cd with the song " everybody wants to go to heaven ...."
Bill
Jul 25, 2011 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-life
An indulgently eccentric book, typical David Crowder style! But amidst (and through) the wackyness, the book really takes you somewhere on the topic of death, grieving and the soul. I enjoyed it. Can't say I hope to make use of the content soon, but I dare say it's inevitable...
Greg
Sep 01, 2007 Greg added it
Recommends it for: artsy types
Very Crowder. If you enjoy his music, you'll enjoy his book. Some could accuse him of being pretentious, but I think he honestly looks at the world in an obtuse, abstract way. And that's what makes this book an entertaining read.
Barbie
Feb 01, 2011 Barbie rated it really liked it
Loved it from the intro, but after a while the banter and IM conversations started bugging me. That might have been because I couldn't read more than a couple of pages at a time. But I got a lot out of it over all.
  • The Air I Breathe: Worship as a Way of Life
  • The Barbarian Way: Unleash the Untamed Faith Within
  • Junia Is Not Alone
  • Hipster Christianity: When Church and Cool Collide
  • Jesus Wants to Save Christians: A Manifesto for the Church in Exile
  • Alone With God (MacArthur Study Series)
  • Light Force: A Stirring Account of the Church Caught in the Middle East Crossfire
  • This Beautiful Mess: Practicing the Presence of the Kingdom of God
More about David Crowder...

“We’re walking around in it. We’re in the sky. There is sky and there is ground and we’re somewhere in between. That is where we live. And sometimes some of us take wing and when they do, when their feet leave the ground, even for a second, they pull the rest of us with them. And when we rise, and when we rise, and when we notice that the sky has been around us all along. We have been walking into it. It has been this constant collision. Divinity and depravity. And we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise...” 0 likes