Start by marking “Charlie Company: What Vietnam Did To Us” as Want to Read:
Charlie Company: What Vietnam Did To Us

Charlie Company: What Vietnam Did To Us

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  9 reviews
There were no homecoming parades for the million men and women who served in the longest war America ever fought...the only war it has ever lost. This is a book about 65 of those nearly forgotten men who soldiered in the late 1960s in a gook-hunting, dirt-eating, dog-soldiering infantry unit called Charlie Company.

They were boys then, 19 or 20 years old on the average. Th

Mass Market Paperback, 322 pages
Published April 12th 1984 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Charlie Company, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlie Company

Sheryl
I read the book 12 years ago to try to understand my husband's experience in Vietnam. It's been 40 years and my husband took his own life after his "predator" the war came after him again this many years later. You can't help but question why you didn't see it coming, but just like everyone else I forgot how deep those invisible wounds went. Actually, he probably still had a chance if it were not for the "one pill fits all" mentality of the VA. There's another book written by a veteran of Iraq a ...more
Jon
I made it through. The stories in this book are raw, and the descriptions of in-combat atrocities remain etched in my mind.

A tough read, but worth hearing the testimonies of dozens of Vietnam vets. For someone who has claimed pacifism for a while but didn't know war stories, this book gave me direct perspective from those who served on just how unclear the goals and missions of war are, and the repercussions of haunting memories on life after military service. I thank my Aunt who married a Viet
Nicole
I believe that Americans are obligated to learn about and understand wars that our soldiers have fought in. I have read about both World Wars and about our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I admit I know little about the Korean War and Vietnam. I hoped to change at least half of that with Charlie Company: What Vietnam Did to Us. And while I now have a better understanding of what our soldiers went through in Nam, I still don’t understand what the hell we were doing over there, what kind of war ...more
Jeff Walden
This book covers the Vietnam War and its aftermath from the perspective of the soldiers in one of the companies there, Charlie Company. It deliberately has exactly one focus: it concentrates on the men and their personal experiences there and after, and it completely ignores the geopolitical situation. I suppose that's an entirely different story, but I would have liked to have a little more of it than the book presented (which, as I recall, was only about half a page in the preface).

That said,
Shirley
The story of each of the 65 soldiers of Charlie Company during one year in Vietnam - the ones who made it, those who didn't, the commanders, the hated, the beloved, and their life of living on the line every minute of every day. For anyone that lived through Vietnam, this book is a must. It's a reality check and a reminder of all that our troops went through with little or no thanks.
Bill
Being one of the Charlie Company members I found it necessary to create a blog (so to speak) that contains errata and notations about this book. Trust me...don't believe all that is in that book. It is rife with errors of which some were more than likely intentional on the authors part just to "boost" some of the narrative.

My blog can be found at: http://blklion.blogspot.com/

It's still under construction and will probably go way beyond the book in regard to Charlie Company. Photographs, chronolo
Alexander
I'm not a big fan of military books. My dad asked me to read it since it was one of his favorites. I just felt it confusing between who was talking, but I would recommend it to a person who has a interest in military history.
Matt
The true story of the effects of Vietnam on one company of soldiers. Newsweek went to talk to them, hoping to have enough material to fill a magazine article and went home with enough material to fill a book. It was good, if a tad preachy. I liked it but not enough to keep it. It's at the used book store as I type this.
Carol
An eye-opener for a kid who wasn't old enough at the time to understand Vietnam or what it did to the people who served.
Michael Valois
Michael Valois marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Harley
Harley added it
May 20, 2015
Jordan Lammert
Jordan Lammert marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Envuelto
Envuelto marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Brian Dressel
Brian Dressel marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
James Macduff
James Macduff marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Death and Life of Malcolm X (Second Edition) Quest for the Presidency 1992 The Quest For The Presidency, 1988 The Last Minstrel Show: A Detective Story The End of the World That Was