Start by marking “The American Revelation: Ten Ideals That Shaped Our Country from the Puritans to the Cold War” as Want to Read:

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  3 reviews
In The American Revelation, Neil Baldwin, one of our most exciting and provocative intellectual historians, applies his formidable energies to the story of how the American Spirit developed over four centuries, through an inspiring--and unsparing--examination of selected ideals that have helped inform our culture through the vivid personalities who set the course.

Figures
Published July 11th 2006 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The American Revelation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The American Revelation

Robert
Books about national character, values, spirit, and identity are always tricky, so Neal Baldwin avoids over-simplifying this study of American ideals by admitting at the outset that it is a representative study, not a comprehensive study.

His representatives, many born overseas, capture well the diversity and eclecticism of the American experience.

John Winthrop, Tom Paine, Pierre Eugene Du Simitiere (he put E Pluribus Unum on the national seal), and Israel Zangwill (author of The Melting Pot, a
Patrick
Ivy
Jun 01, 2008 Ivy added it
I have not started this yet. I am hoping it is not going to be like William Bennet or something.

edited to add: I didn't even start this. It just felt boring.
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
John Barry
John Barry marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Lapp15
Lapp15 added it
Feb 14, 2013
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2012
Dee
Dee added it
Apr 05, 2012
Ryan Boomershine
Ryan Boomershine marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2011
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2011
Dan
Dan added it
Sep 23, 2010
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2010
Matt
Matt added it
Aug 05, 2010
Cooper Liska-smith
Cooper Liska-smith marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2010
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2010
Edison Inventing the Century Henry Ford and the Jews: The Mass Production Of Hate The Book That Changed My Life: Interviews with National Book Award Winners and Finalists Man Ray: American Artist Legends of the Plumed Serpent: Biography of a Mexican God