Start by marking “The Cat Who Got Carried Away” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Got Carried Away

The Cat Who Got Carried Away (The Gaskitts)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  17 reviews
One more time . . . the Gaskitts! In Allan Ahlberg’s third madcap episode about this resourceful family, Horace the cat takes center stage.

In this latest Gaskitts story from comedic master Allan Ahlberg, Gus and Gloria have a lot of running to do. Mr. Gaskitt spends most of his time
vacuuming, Mrs. Gaskitt hardly ever gets out of bed, and Horace - poor Horace - ends up in
Published April 1st 2003 by Candlewick (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Got Carried Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Got Carried Away

Emily Kimball
Hilarious 'beginner' chapter book for elementary school students. :D
Kristine Pratt
A fun story about missing animals, parents acting strangely, and a whole lot of running. Once again the pacing is swift in this easy reader adventure, and just right to keep interest. LOVED the layout and design. Great series all around!
Dolly
Mar 14, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Fun story, with several mysteries that you can figure out as you read along. There's a twisting tale with a few sub-plots, fun illustrations that include maps and timetables, and a fast-paced story that you can read in just one or two sittings. The narrative doesn't always lend itself perfectly to reading aloud, but overall it's a great book. Our girls loved it, especially because they could "solve" the mysteries.
Pleasant, witty and conversational, the text reads like a friendly British storyteller (maybe a grandpa), pointing out details in the pictures and making general asides in the story. The watercolor and crayon illustrations are deceptively simple, granting the especial observer rewards with humorous details. Many tangents are juggled to a satisfying conclusion.
Emily Goodin
This was the second Allan Ahlberg book I read, and I could tell right off the bat that it was by him. The pictures, again, were great and colorful and the story line was funny too! Normally I don't really like silly stroy lines, but for some reason, in this case, I do! These stroies by Allan Ahlberg were funny and entertaining!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
It just didn't do anything for me. I liked the format of the book-- lots of illustrations interspersed with the text--great for beginning or reluctant readers. I imagine kids would like it, but I didn't particularly.
Read the Spanish version of this, and I think my students will really enjoy this book. It has a very engaging layout, and the language is conversational.
Zoe
this book was to easy for me i didnt know it was a picture book.it was a 1st/2nd grade book.i am a 6th grader im not suppose to read this book.
Kaethe
Oct 11, 2010 Kaethe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Natasha
great fun for beginning readers (or as a read aloud) with the maps and the "meanwhiles" which are best extended for comic effect.
Elise
My 6 year old loved this book. Colorful illustrations to accompany this chapter book along with maps and timelines.
Samantha
I think this book would be great for beginner readers. The story is interesting and keeps you wanting to know more.
Suebee
Kids will find this too difficult to follow...in my opinion...trying to be an "easy chapter" book but it is too much...
Kate B
The Gaskitts books are a good next step for early readers who are reader for a slightly longer book.
Shelby
this book was good and funny if you what to laugh if i where you i whould read this boook
T
Jun 26, 2013 T rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Cute early reader. I loved the incorporation of maps and timetables.
Nora
MCL. I like the funny things the clock says.
Jenny
Ellie read this one aloud to me.
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jul 02, 2015
X
X added it
May 30, 2015
Gretchn_red
Gretchn_red marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Allan Ahlberg, one of the most acclaimed and successful authors of children's books - including the best-selling Jolly Postman series - says that he dreamed of becoming a writer since the age of twelve. But his route to that goal was somewhat circuitous.

Other jobs along the way included postman (not an especially jolly one, he recalls), gravedigger, plumber, and teacher.

The author wrote his firs
More about Allan Ahlberg...

The Gaskitts (4 books)
  • The Man Who Wore All His Clothes
  • The Woman Who Won Things
  • The Children Who Smelled A Rat
The Pencil Please Mrs Butler The Runaway Dinner Previously The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters