Start by marking “Prophecy” as Want to Read:
Prophecy

Prophecy

Francesca Monsanto meets a man and his son racing to catch a train. It is a meeting she never anticipated, but one that was meant to be. As their relationship develops the coincidences that brought them together take on a dangerous aspect.
Published December 1st 2006 by Orion (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Prophecy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prophecy

Yas
I JUST finished this book and I feel like I have to review it NOW. WOW WOW WOW is what sums it up for me. Absolutely superb book! I don't even know where to begin with starting to say how good I found this book! The pity is the author in question has taken to writing to crime now, I'm going to write to him myself and tell him to continue the horror stuff as he's so bloody good!

This book concerns spooky coincidences all linked to a ouiiji game back in 1988. The consequences of this are about to c
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 03, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, thriller, fiction
Spooky and sinister, Prophecy is much more than just a horror novel, with a complex plot and characters with deep personalities.
Barbara Elsborg
Aug 24, 2015 Barbara Elsborg rated it really liked it
One of Peter James's standalones and horror (sort of) this time, not a police thriller. I liked it very much. Starts with a bang that might put off some readers but keep going - the rest of the book is not like that! But the start is important. It's all to do with coincidence - is there such a thing, especially when they keep happening or are there other forces at play? Great tension, very fast moving - I read it in one sitting - and although there are some questions I'd have liked answered, it ...more
Yvel
Feb 19, 2016 Yvel rated it it was amazing
ich weiss nicht warum ich dieses buch schoneinmal bewertet hatte, ich habe es eindeutig noch nicht gelesen gehabt. sei es wie es sei, ein sehr spannendes buch über zufälle und ob diese wirklich zufälle sind
Michelle Wiles
May 13, 2017 Michelle Wiles rated it liked it
Shelves: real-books
This was a little more gruesome than I am used to, but as the story progressed it became apparent why this was necessary. It had a good storyline and I would probably read more of his books.
Asis Adit
May 16, 2017 Asis Adit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as it stated in review. I have read much horrifying novels than this. Similar to the omen.
Glynis
Mar 18, 2017 Glynis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent.
Stephen Hayes
Sep 28, 2010 Stephen Hayes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in supernatural horror stories
When I began reading this book, I didn't like it much. Perhaps my initial dislike was just prejudice. One of the characters is a child called Edward, and I don't think that is really a child's name. Yes, as a child I knew other kids called Edward, but not many, and it makes me think of people like the late US senator Ted Kennedy.

I've also read books by Peter James before. He writes whodunits, featuring Detective Inspector Roy Grace of the Brighton police. But this wasn't a whodunit, it was more
Ann Macdonald
Mar 03, 2017 Ann Macdonald rated it really liked it
Not what I was expecting (assumed it was one of his detective novels, should have read the blurb!) but I couldn't put it down. Wow, powerful!
Jitka Jitulisko
Jan 25, 2015 Jitka Jitulisko rated it really liked it

„Seržant vytáhl pohrabáč, přistoupil k němu, uchopil dutý roh,který o kousek vyklouzl,opatrně vsunul doruda rozžhavený pohrabáč do jeho konce, jako by si zastrkával meč do pochvy, pak ho vpravil a pevně a nemilosrdně zatlačil. Ozvalo se ostré zasyčení a bublání, jak se pálila měkká sliznice rekta, a zároveň bylo cítit sladký pach spáleného masa. „

Frannie, mladá svobodná archeoložka. Dívka, která se točí ve své práci a je na ni náležitě hrdá. Kamarádky ji požádá, zda by jí mohla vyzvednout kontra
Mark
Feb 21, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gifts, 2012
WOW! Never have truer words been said than "don't judge a book by its cover". What appears from the cover art and synopsis to be your run of the mill, ten-a-penny crime novel actually turns out to be a brilliantly written and well constructed supernatural thriller. I haven't read too many books based on the supernatural, only one Stephen King effort and the James Patterson books "Cradle And All" and "You've Been Warned" and this book is miles ahead of those ones.
This books opening chapter depic
David Proffitt
Jan 09, 2014 David Proffitt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Peter James has been around for quite a while, but I hadn’t heard of him until recently when I was given this particular book by someone who thought it was up my street.

And I’m glad they did, because it is!

At the heart of the story is a young archaeologist who finds herself at the centre of a series of inexplicable events that leave her in fear of either her sanity or her life – or possibly both.

When young Frannie Monsanto bumps into a handsome man and his son at a railway station, little does s
Sharon
Apr 01, 2013 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-thirty-read
I gave this book a full 5 stars because it was good. It did grab me from the start but I must admit the first chapter could have been absorbed later into the book as a short explanation by the related character concerned. Its a powerful chapter and would say keep reading and stick with it. Chapter 2 is similar I wonder where they both sat as it were with the story and eventually I did find myself thinking ah yes. It may be me but I wouldn't describe this as a horror story it certainly had bits t ...more
Mark Farley
May 30, 2015 Mark Farley rated it really liked it
Just like his brilliant Roy Grace series, this book is intriguing like all his other books, and in this instance, dealing with the subjects of lineage, satanic possession and numeracy. The author achieves this by utilizing hardboiled noir and bonkbuster techniques in his writing to keep you hooked. The characters he has created are well crafted and sympathetic, which makes you really want to invest yourself and get to know them. To the point where you just cant put his books down. They read like ...more
Samantha Cosham
Aug 14, 2013 Samantha Cosham rated it it was amazing
What a dark and twisted tale. I read this hot on the heels of 'sweet heart', another supernatural thriller by Peter James but this was by far the superior.

Whether or not you believe in ghosts and ghouls and bumps in the night James' gore laden descriptions of death and his seemingly endless imagination for getting rid of characters leaves you in fear for whoever is next to bite the dust. I found myself actively tensing up at certain points in the story!!

This, like many of his other books, is f
Rachael Dixon
May 15, 2015 Rachael Dixon rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was a real page-turner.

Loved James's writing style, and the plot was really interesting.

Some of James's character were a tiny bit cliche, but this was acceptable because he breathed life into them well enough and they all interacted well. Frannie was a good well-rounded protagonist, and her rapport with Oliver was just right. James sort of kept Oliver open as a bit of a wild card, I found, which kept me guessing.

Would definitely recommend for an entertaining rea
Gabi Cutayar
Mar 09, 2013 Gabi Cutayar rated it liked it
One of Peter James earlier books circa 1992, it's interesting to see the progression of his skill from then to his later books. As a writer myself, I can see the mistakes I'm aware of in my writing in this book. Having said all this, I enjoyed it immensely.

The story grips from the first scene and doesn't let go until the last page. I found the violence just a little gratuitous and felt that the sickening ways of dying were just a little too predictable. Although they moved the plot along well, i
Chris
Sep 07, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
This is a good book but not well paced, and not up to Peter James's usual 5* standards. The story line is excellent but the ending is very rushed, slightly confusing and the Epilogue leaves quite a few questions unanswered. The theme of numerology (patterns in numbers) was a good one and the book was psychologically scary and tense. The book does contain scenes of blood and guts horror too which are unusually graphic and memorable, more reminiscent of James Herbert rather than Peter James.

Well w
Jayne Thorold
Mar 26, 2014 Jayne Thorold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read most of Peter James's novels, (the Inspector Grace ones being my fav) all apart from this and one other. I love his way of writing, his characters and his tales, and this book was no exception.
Because of James's easy narrative flow the story was easy to get into. The main character, Frannie, at first seemed a boring archeologist,but she had hidden depths as the story unfolded. The story believable with just the right amount of scare, humour and emotion to make it totally worth the
Michellka
May 31, 2013 Michellka rated it really liked it
When I read it as a teenage girl I would rate it 5 stars. At that time the book was very thrilling for me, surprising and I was so scared.
Recently, after many years I read the book again. It was ok but all the thrill was gone. Even if I forgot the plot the story was quite predictable and not so scary any more. I would rate it 3 stars... I decided for compromise and gave it a 4. The book is definitely not boring and if you are a teenager loving horror stories I recommend this one!
Thejelman
Jul 17, 2013 Thejelman rated it did not like it
Haven't read such a silly or irritating book since...well, the last Peter James novel I read. Total hokum, and characters it was impossible to empathise with (as before, i.e. affluent, complacent southerners, twee heroine and vaguely foppish hero.) Other characters had no discernible personalities. Clichés lurking around every corner. And, after all the horror, a predictably schmaltzy ending. Horrible, frustrating garbage.
Martin
Oct 11, 2015 Martin rated it it was amazing
I've been getting bored of the Roy Grace books so thought I'd read one Peter James other stories and so glad I did. Prophecy is brilliant. I found it difficult to put down and had to resist picking it up to continue reading it when I needed to do other, more important things! Well worth reading if you like to be spooked.
Hannah
Mar 07, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it
I've been sharing a few books with my Mum recently and she recommended this book. I found the beginning a little odd and it took me a few chapters to get into it. Once I did though I found it hard to put down. The fact that it takes Frannie so long to remember the ouija was a little frustrating but I did enjoy the twists and turns. On the whole an entertaining book.
Lesbaxby
Nov 08, 2016 Lesbaxby rated it liked it
Dianne
Feb 07, 2010 Dianne rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers, paranormal
Not my normal read, but it was a page turner. I picked it up at a CRUK as I am a fan of his Roy Grace detective novels.

A series of events, deaths, accidents, illnesses are linked by odd coincidences to a student ouija session in a damp cellar held three years earlier. Well written, paranormal thriller which flows easily with a neat ending.
Katie Boyden
Feb 04, 2013 Katie Boyden rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-shelf
I had to finish this book in the daytime because I was too much of a pussy to read it at night any more. THIS BOOK WAS TERRIFYING, but at the same time utterly brilliant. Remind me never to get involved with ouija boards, holy christ.
Harry Burnside
although it has a score of 3.82 at present I couldn't go anywhere near that. I found the story very cliched. Every horror cliché in the book turned up. Stephen King need have no sleepless nights over this competition.
Annie
Jan 30, 2013 Annie rated it really liked it
Wow! I've only recently discovered Peter James and to date only have read his crime novels.
This book was very different but brilliant. Very creepy and tense,real page turner. I read it in two days and struggled to put it down. Thoroughly good read.
Kirsty
Mar 28, 2011 Kirsty rated it it was amazing
I actually enjoyed this a lot more than i expected to. I needed something to read on the bus home from Uni and this filled the gap.

However i will warn you, The stuff about coincidence makes you rethink everything! It freaked me out
Christina Hickey
Jul 12, 2013 Christina Hickey rated it it was ok
This book resembled the movies 'Final Destination'. Unrealistic ! People running away from death. Im a huge fan of Peter James crime novels.. Horror is really not my type. I couldn't wait to finish the book.
  • The Ghosts Of Sleath (David Ash, #2)
  • Forest Gate: A Novel
  • The Girl on the Swing
  • Hunter Quatermain's Story: The Uncollected Adventures of Allan Quatermain
  • Curfew
  • The Murder Exchange
  • The Robber Bridegroom
  • Lastnight (Jack Nightingale, #5)
  • Thou Shalt Kill
  • More Ghost Stories of an Antiquary
  • Dead Men's Dust (Joe Hunter, #1)
  • The Chosen Child
  • Slugs (Slugs, #1)
  • The Little One
  • The Last Vampire
  • Panic Button
  • The Colony (The Colony, #1)
  • The Visitors Book and Other Ghost Stories
207356
Peter James is the international bestselling author of many award-winning novels. His Detective Superintendent Roy Grace series, set in Brighton, has been translated into thirty-seven languages with worldwide sales of over eighteen million copies, and has given him eleven consecutive Sunday Times number ones. In 2015 WHSmith customers publicly voted him the Greatest Crime Author of All Time and in ...more
More about Peter James...