Start by marking “A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns” as Want to Read:
A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns

A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns

The pleasure of knitting is that much greater when you know you are using the perfect yarn. Here, Lisa Lloyd explores the different qualities of handspun yarns and presents projects that show them to their best advantage. Each of the 26 projects shows the finished item knitted with both a handspun and a commercial yarn.
Published April 8th 2008 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about A Fine Fleece, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fine Fleece

Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I'd like to give this book 2.5 stars. The patterns are beautiful but they're all the same. It's full of sweaters with intricate cables. (I think there's one scarf pattern.) That would be okay if the book were about knitting cabled sweaters, but it's supposed to be about knitting with handspun yarns, which should provide a wider variety of patterns. There really isn't much about what makes handspun yarns so different. There is some but not enough to make it the subject of the bookl. The sweaters ...more
Kat
Feb 26, 2015 Kat rated it really liked it
Shelves: fibre
I really like the premise of this book, and find the juxtaposition of one version of each project in commercial yarn and one in handspun to be fascinating and thought-provoking. I'm glad it's on my shelf as I'll be knitting at least some of the patterns before too long.

Hopefully in handspun.
Cindy
May 12, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Love this book so much that I own two copies (one for the bookshelf and one to beat up while I knit the patterns). I plan on knitting every project from this book.

I have one major issue with the book: the photography (which means it really should be a 4.5 rating, but I love this book enough to forgive). The photos are beautiful... but nothing pisses knitters off more than some art director/stylist changing the sweater so it "looks good" in the photos. There are several patterns that are complete
Jun 08, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it

I haven't actually knit any of the patterns in the book yet, so I'll hold off on 5 stars for now.

The supposed point of this book is to provide a library of patterns appropriate for handspun yard. The author has photographs of each pattern knit in at least two yarns, one handspun and one factory-made. The subtitle is "knitting with handspun yarns." I guess there are so many knitting books on the market, everyone needs some kind of unique hook. I thought this part of the book book was a b
Wifey
Jun 07, 2008 Wifey rated it liked it
Shelves: art-fag, knitting
The patterns in this book are a bit "Land's End" for my taste, but there is something refreshing about seeing graceful simple patterns without a bunch of baubles and bullshit all over them. Also, most knitting books contain pattens that were made on a knitting machine, and then "translated"... badly... into hand knitting, so it's exciting to finally read a book that deals exclusively with hand spun yarn and hand knitting.
The thing I found the most valuable in this book is the chart at the begin
Cathy
Nov 04, 2012 Cathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: spinning, knitting
I've not yet knit anything from this book, but have read through it and especially enjoyed the author's notes regarding designing the handspun yarn for each piece. Unlike many knitting books, I really like nearly all the patterns in the book. The photographs are gorgeous, but I am frustrated that there aren't clear front and back views in many cases, but that's a relatively minor quibble since I can always refer to Ravelry.

As someone that enjoys both spinning and knitting and is learning to prep
Eleanor
Aug 21, 2009 Eleanor rated it really liked it
Truly, a fine fleece. The author shares the joy of fibers from start to finishing. She writes about fiber blending, color, kinds of fleece available. She shows a particular knitted design made with at least two different yarns, one a handspun, the other commercially available, and while the patterns are mostly lace scarves and cabled sweaters, none of them appear to be of great difficulty, just enough to keep the interest of the kntter.
Looking at this again 8/2009, it’s on the add-to-library lis
penny shima glanz
Sep 23, 2008 penny shima glanz rated it liked it
Recommends it for: spinners, knitters
I'm not sure what it is but I just cannot be engaged by this book. I love cables. I love sweaters. I want to find the potential of my handspun. I just can't. I urge you to check it out for yourself.

That said, I am pleased that both handspun and commercially available yarns are presented side-by-side in the same garment. I liked the layout. I just do not see myself knitting any of the projects for myself or anyone I know in the near future.
Jan 04, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiber-arts
Lisa's designs are always well-constructed and well-written. This book is no different. I found all the patterns to be timeless while at the same time interesting. I especially like that she has designed and knit every item in the book from both handspun and commercial yarns, so this book is great for non-spinners (this info should have included this somewhere on the cover, imo). A lovely book all-around from a talented knitwear designer.
Beth666ann
Jun 10, 2008 Beth666ann rated it liked it
Oh my god the projects in this are so beautiful, and I love the photography as well. So many things I want to knit, and while many are extremely complex and therefore beyond my skill level, several are intermediate to easy and really quite doable. This is the most gorgeous knitting book I've seen since the Falick books. Nantucket socks, here I come.
Cayenne
Jun 06, 2008 Cayenne rated it really liked it
Beautiful patterns and a lot of useful information on how to design and knit with handspun yarns. Every pattern has a sample done with handspun yarn and a sample done with commercial yarn, which I found very interesting. It reminded me why I love handspun yarns so much, though the commercial yarns are lovely too.
Grace
Aug 25, 2009 Grace rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, knitting
I want to make everything in this book, but I am starting with October Frost in an ultra-fine merino wool from an Italian mill. (The manufacturer calls it "Smoke & Ash Shadow".)

Hopefully, I will finish in time for my birthday.
Mauri
Apr 16, 2008 Mauri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, knitting, own
Excellent. I bought this because, after looking at it in the bookstore, I immediately wanted to make more than half the patterns. Non-spinners, don't despair, there are commercial substitutes provided.
Alicia
Aug 19, 2011 Alicia rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, knitting
What first interested me about this book is the photographs. They are gorgeous! However, when I started looking through the patterns, I only found two that I would consider making. Most of the projects are loose-fitting intricate cabled sweaters that all look alike. A bit disappointing.
Kristy Bryson
I plan on making about 1/3 or more of these patterns!! I ordered it initially for the Flyingdales pattern, but I like almost all of the cabled designs, plus one of the lace scarves. Mom has requested a vest and she's reading the beginning to learn more about spinning.
Holly
Sep 18, 2008 Holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Some knitting books are more about the atmosphere than the patterns or instructions. I wouldn't necessarily knit anything in this one, but I love to flip through it. I can almost smell the lanolin.
Karen Souza
Jan 16, 2009 Karen Souza added it
Shelves: spinning
This was a great book. I have finally found a book that compares homespun to commercial yarns, and gives instructions for both. A great addition to my spinning collection
Victoria Boundy
Jun 11, 2008 Victoria Boundy rated it really liked it
Gorgeous patterns. I like how each pattern includes examples with handspun as well as commercial yarn.
Diane
Feb 27, 2009 Diane rated it liked it
This book is more of a subversive attempt to get every knitter to start hand spinning than a knitter's guide. Fine patterns for every gauge of yarn.
Lobug
Feb 13, 2014 Lobug rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Great explanations, thorough and detailed. Gorgeous timeless patterns to go with it. Great book for knitters and spinners
Heather
Nov 24, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft
this book is amazing. i love every single pattern in here.
Lori
Mar 19, 2010 Lori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: collection, knitting
love.
Leigh
Jan 17, 2010 Leigh added it
A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns by Lisa Lloyd (2008)
Debra
Aug 19, 2009 Debra rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Intermediate Knitters
Recommended to Debra by: www.ravelry.com
I have many,many knitting books but this is the best one. I have knit the pattern "Espresso" as a gift and the pattern directions were very precise. I love the classic yet updated patterns.
Deborah
May 29, 2011 Deborah rated it really liked it
My favorite. Ponoka, I think.
virginia k mateen
virginia k mateen rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
Elena. (theresmiling)
Elena. (theresmiling) rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2010
Connie Kephart
Connie Kephart rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2011
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Caroline
Caroline rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook: Dyeing, Painting, Spinning, Designing, Knitting
  • Color in Spinning
  • In Sheep's Clothing
  • The Best of Interweave Knits
  • Start Spinning
  • Knitting on the Road
  • The Alden Amos Big Book of Handspinning: Being A Compendium of Information, Advice, and Opinions On the Noble Art & Craft
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop Book
  • Folk Shawls
  • Charted Knitting Designs: A Third Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • The Intentional Spinner
  • Sweater Design in Plain English
  • The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook
  • Spin to Knit: The Knitter's Guide to Making Yarn
  • Spinning in the Old Way: How (and Why) to Make Your Own Yarn with a High-Whorl Handspindle