A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns

A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Wonderful book on spinning your own yarn.
Published April 8th 2008 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about A Fine Fleece, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fine Fleece

Kelly Maybedog
I'd like to give this book 2.5 stars. The patterns are beautiful but they're all the same. It's full of sweaters with intricate cables. (I think there's one scarf pattern.) That would be okay if the book were about knitting cabled sweaters, but it's supposed to be about knitting with handspun yarns, which should provide a wider variety of patterns. There really isn't much about what makes handspun yarns so different. There is some but not enough to make it the subject of the bookl. The sweaters...more
Cindy
Love this book so much that I own two copies (one for the bookshelf and one to beat up while I knit the patterns). I plan on knitting every project from this book.

I have one major issue with the book: the photography (which means it really should be a 4.5 rating, but I love this book enough to forgive). The photos are beautiful... but nothing pisses knitters off more than some art director/stylist changing the sweater so it "looks good" in the photos. There are several patterns that are complete...more
J

I haven't actually knit any of the patterns in the book yet, so I'll hold off on 5 stars for now.

The supposed point of this book is to provide a library of patterns appropriate for handspun yard. The author has photographs of each pattern knit in at least two yarns, one handspun and one factory-made. The subtitle is "knitting with handspun yarns." I guess there are so many knitting books on the market, everyone needs some kind of unique hook. I thought this part of the book book was a b...more
Wifey
The patterns in this book are a bit "Land's End" for my taste, but there is something refreshing about seeing graceful simple patterns without a bunch of baubles and bullshit all over them. Also, most knitting books contain pattens that were made on a knitting machine, and then "translated"... badly... into hand knitting, so it's exciting to finally read a book that deals exclusively with hand spun yarn and hand knitting.
The thing I found the most valuable in this book is the chart at the begin...more
Kristy Bryson
I plan on making about 1/3 or more of these patterns!! I ordered it initially for the Flyingdales pattern, but I like almost all of the cabled designs, plus one of the lace scarves. Mom has requested a vest and she's reading the beginning to learn more about spinning.
Lobug
Excellent. Great explanations, thorough and detailed. Gorgeous timeless patterns to go with it. Great book for knitters and spinners
Cathy
I've not yet knit anything from this book, but have read through it and especially enjoyed the author's notes regarding designing the handspun yarn for each piece. Unlike many knitting books, I really like nearly all the patterns in the book. The photographs are gorgeous, but I am frustrated that there aren't clear front and back views in many cases, but that's a relatively minor quibble since I can always refer to Ravelry.

As someone that enjoys both spinning and knitting and is learning to prep...more
Eleanor
Truly, a fine fleece. The author shares the joy of fibers from start to finishing. She writes about fiber blending, color, kinds of fleece available. She shows a particular knitted design made with at least two different yarns, one a handspun, the other commercially available, and while the patterns are mostly lace scarves and cabled sweaters, none of them appear to be of great difficulty, just enough to keep the interest of the kntter.
Looking at this again 8/2009, it’s on the add-to-library lis...more
Lisa's designs are always well-constructed and well-written. This book is no different. I found all the patterns to be timeless while at the same time interesting. I especially like that she has designed and knit every item in the book from both handspun and commercial yarns, so this book is great for non-spinners (this info should have included this somewhere on the cover, imo). A lovely book all-around from a talented knitwear designer.
penny
Sep 24, 2008 penny rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: spinners, knitters
I'm not sure what it is but I just cannot be engaged by this book. I love cables. I love sweaters. I want to find the potential of my handspun. I just can't. I urge you to check it out for yourself.

That said, I am pleased that both handspun and commercially available yarns are presented side-by-side in the same garment. I liked the layout. I just do not see myself knitting any of the projects for myself or anyone I know in the near future.
Beth666ann
Oh my god the projects in this are so beautiful, and I love the photography as well. So many things I want to knit, and while many are extremely complex and therefore beyond my skill level, several are intermediate to easy and really quite doable. This is the most gorgeous knitting book I've seen since the Falick books. Nantucket socks, here I come.
Cayenne
Beautiful patterns and a lot of useful information on how to design and knit with handspun yarns. Every pattern has a sample done with handspun yarn and a sample done with commercial yarn, which I found very interesting. It reminded me why I love handspun yarns so much, though the commercial yarns are lovely too.
Alicia
What first interested me about this book is the photographs. They are gorgeous! However, when I started looking through the patterns, I only found two that I would consider making. Most of the projects are loose-fitting intricate cabled sweaters that all look alike. A bit disappointing.
Grace
I want to make everything in this book, but I am starting with October Frost in an ultra-fine merino wool from an Italian mill. (The manufacturer calls it "Smoke & Ash Shadow".)

Hopefully, I will finish in time for my birthday.
Mauri
Excellent. I bought this because, after looking at it in the bookstore, I immediately wanted to make more than half the patterns. Non-spinners, don't despair, there are commercial substitutes provided.
Debra
Aug 19, 2009 Debra rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Intermediate Knitters
Recommended to Debra by: www.ravelry.com
I have many,many knitting books but this is the best one. I have knit the pattern "Espresso" as a gift and the pattern directions were very precise. I love the classic yet updated patterns.
Holly
Some knitting books are more about the atmosphere than the patterns or instructions. I wouldn't necessarily knit anything in this one, but I love to flip through it. I can almost smell the lanolin.
Karen Souza
Jan 16, 2009 Karen Souza added it
Shelves: spinning
This was a great book. I have finally found a book that compares homespun to commercial yarns, and gives instructions for both. A great addition to my spinning collection
Diane
This book is more of a subversive attempt to get every knitter to start hand spinning than a knitter's guide. Fine patterns for every gauge of yarn.
Victoria Boundy
Gorgeous patterns. I like how each pattern includes examples with handspun as well as commercial yarn.
I haven't knit any patterns from this book yet, but I love it. The photography is beautiful!
Leigh
Jan 17, 2010 Leigh added it
A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns by Lisa Lloyd (2008)
Heather
this book is amazing. i love every single pattern in here.
Max
Good fiber info! Patterns: boxy and dated.
Deborah
My favorite. Ponoka, I think.
Bri
Bri added it
Sep 21, 2014
Kassie
Kassie marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014