Start by marking “The Nativity: History and Legend” as Want to Read:
The Nativity: History and Legend

The Nativity: History and Legend

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The Nativity is the very heart of the Christian tradition. For more than 2,000 years, the story of Jesus' birth has been told and retold, mythologized and sentimentalized. In "The Nativity," Geza Vermes untangles centuries of storytelling and places the birth and the events surrounding it within their historical context.
Vermes examines every aspect of the Christmas story:...more
Published December 1st 2006 by Penguin Books (first published November 2nd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Nativity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nativity

JChipol
Religion is a contentious issue, and an area we are not allowed to question without somebody getting all hot and flustered. However, when it got to Christmas a few weeks ago, I thought I'd read about the facts behind the Nativity to try to figure out what is true and what is not. This book had been recommended to me as an accessible read and I have to say that I quite enjoyed it.
This book investigates the main events surrounding the nativity in an attempt to determine what really happened. Verme...more
Rachael
The Nativity is a short and accessible critical exploration of the birth narratives found in Luke and Matthew. Vermes explores the similarities and differences between the two accounts and attempts to tease out the implications of disagreements. Because the birth of Jesus tends to be presented at once it is easy to lose track of the fact that Luke and Matthew have two very different stories and Vermes does a good job untangling the stories and pointing out the insurmountable contradictions and s...more
Leif Guiteau
great look at the truths and legends of biblical times. A terrific read for anyone who enjoys history or the nuances of trying to interpret it
Simon
Interesting but a little jumbled, as if the author couldn't decide who his audience actually was. I learned some things about the contemporary culture of the authors of the infancy narratives in the Gospels as well as older sources that influenced the authors. I did not always agree with the authors conclusions from the evidence.
Suzie Grogan
Wonderful scholarly work. Hard for me, as someone who has not studied the bible in detail, to make all the references but I really do now understand the Nativity story in context. SO important as we come up to another commercialised festive season.
Lynnae
Apr 25, 2010 Lynnae added it
Did not care for this book after just starting it so it went right back to the library
Bryce
Having a pure obsession with all things Christianity, this was an awesome read for me.
Sidney Schwartz
A fascinating book that explores all aspects of Jesus' nativity. Very well researched.
Christian Fahey
Christian Fahey marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Bryan Schlundt
Bryan Schlundt marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Scorpsnario07
Scorpsnario07 marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Justin Thurn
Justin Thurn marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Jeramiah Giehl
Jeramiah Giehl marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Ronni
Ronni marked it as to-read
May 11, 2013
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2013
Anthony Lawson
Anthony Lawson marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Géza Vermes was a Jewish Hungarian scholar and writer on religious history, particularly Jewish and Christian.
More about Géza Vermès...
Jesus the Jew: A Historian's Reading of the Gospels The Story of the Scrolls: The Miraculous Discovery and True Significance of the Dead Sea Scrolls Christian Beginnings: From Nazareth to Nicaea, AD 30–325 The Changing Faces of Jesus The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English