The Sunborn (Adventures of Viktor & Julia, #2)

The Sunborn (Adventures of Viktor & Julia #2)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Their historic mission to Mars made Julia and Victor the most famous astronauts of all time. Now, decades later, they are ordered by the Consortium to Pluto, where they will rendezvous with another starship led by the brilliant, arrogant Captain Shanna Axelrod. Here, on the frozen ammonia shore of Pluto's methane sea, Shanna has discovered intelligent creatures thriving in...more
Published February 1st 2006 by Warner Books (first published May 5th 2005)

Angela
Julia and Viktor, the first astronauts to land on Mars, are sent off to Pluto to investigate a number of strange phenomena. The solar system's coldest, most distant planet appears to be heating up and developing an atmosphere. Stranger still, another expedition has discovered life on Pluto, in an environment where it shouldn't exist. Benford has always been fascinated by the possibilities inherent in extraterrestrial life, and he takes advantage of his own scientific specialty, plasma physics, t...more
ConnieM
I love sci-fi and this one gratified my fancy for space operas. Corny? Totally. Interesting concepts abound based on real, up-to-date discoveries from the world of astrophysics, Mars probe data, the Voyagers new and wild data (yes, folks, those little sweethearts we sent out of the solar system over 35 years ago are still ticking away, sending unbelievably valuable and unexpected information). I recommend this book if - and only if - you are interested in these kinds of things. If you want a boo...more
John
I liked the "hard science" in this book. Everything about this book is completely believable (and it get's pretty far out toward the end). I must say, though, that I think Benford is better when he is a collaborator (and he has collaborated with some of the best, such as A.C.Clarke). His plot seems a little plodding at times, and hence it took a bit of effort to get to the end of this one. Still, the concepts explored in this novel are pretty amazing and thought provoking, and the characters tur...more
Jamie
Although it was nice at first to catch up with Julia and Viktor, still on Mars 20 years later, I lost interest in this at the halfway point. I liked the first book, which was a small, realistic near-future story about a mission to Mars. This book makes a huge leap to vast interstellar plasmatic alien beings doing experiments on Pluto. The new new protagonist, Axelrod’s daughter, is a dreadful, unconvincing character and Gregory’s rather shallow writing isn’t up to this task.
Al

In this unexceptional and somewhat slow-moving follow-up to The Martian Race (1999), Benford sends Julia and Viktor, the first astronauts to land on Mars, off to Pluto to investigate a number of strange phenomena. The solar system's coldest, most distant planet appears to be heating up and developing an atmosphere. Stranger still, another expedition has discovered life on Pluto, in an environment where it shouldn't exist.

Vincenzo Bacci
a good story about first contact and entirely new ways life could develop. It's a sequel to Martian Race, which I did not read, but I think it did not influence my understanding. Plenty of hard science and technology. Characters tend to be unidimensional. Good pacing, satisfactory conclusion with open-ended possibilities.
Lucas
I didn't realize this was a sequel to 'The Martian Race' (which I haven't read) until a quarter of the way through.

The magnetic creatures are similar to what's near the black hole in one of the later Galactic Center novels. There isn't much explanation for how they could actually live and persist.
Janina
I read this when I was still in high school so, I can't really remember the details. However, the idea that there are foreign creatures living outside Earth and they are like plasma really struck me. As far as I can remember, this is the only detail that really stuck.
Gordon
Thoroughly enjoyed this. Although parts of the plot move so quickly as to be disorienting and the characters are mostly rather flat, this book more than makes up for it with its sizzling ideas. Totally captivating!
Patty Jansen
I really enjoyed this book, full of interesting and thought-provoking ideas. Does alien intelligence have to be a physical being, or can it be something else?
Peter
Quite enjoyed it, had some nice challenging thought provoking concepts and was reasonably fast paced.
Dave
An uneven sequel to The Martian Race.
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Ct2msb
Ct2msb marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Andrew Olsen
Andrew Olsen marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Aqiul
Aqiul marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Deedee
Deedee marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Jeremy Frens
Jeremy Frens marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Mikyd
Mikyd marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Gregory Benford is an American science fiction author and astrophysicist who is on the faculty of the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of California, Irvine.

As a science fiction author, Benford is best known for the Galactic Center Saga novels, beginning with In the Ocean of Night (1977). This series postulates a galaxy in which sentient organic life is in constant warfare wit...more
More about Gregory Benford...
Timescape Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy, #1) In the Ocean of Night (Galactic Center, #1) Heart of the Comet Great Sky River (Galactic Center, #3)