Dear Mr. President: Letters to the Oval Office from the Files of the National Archives

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  17 reviews
"The letters provide a nostalgic timeline of American history told through the words and feelings of Americans, from regular folks to kings." —Star Gazette, Elmira, NY, Dec. '05

"There are more than 80 letters, reflecting both our history and our very American sense that when we speak, our president should listen." —The Arizona Republic, Dec. '05

Drawn from the extensive h...more
Published January 16th 2007 by National Geographic (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dear Mr. President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Mr. President

Philip
The President's Address:

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

Anybody can write the guy. (Or, if this is being read sometime after our current president, the girl.) Go ahead. Grab a pen and tell him how you think he's doing. It will only take a minute, and what... a $.49 stamp? Ask him a question. Give him a suggestion. Ask him if you could be a "Federal Agent at large" in the war against drugs:

Elvis Asked Nixon to be a Federal Agent

...Elvis did... His handwriting. Oh, man... his handwriting. And the fact it's written on Ame...more
Jan
My standard operating procedure when perusing a book that I might possibly purchase or borrow from the library is to read the first few lines on the first page. If I'm hooked by those sentences, then the book goes home with me.

Of course, exceptions must be made, as in the case of this book, which is an anthology of letters written to U.S. Presidents over the years, from George Washington to Bill Clinton. As I flipped through the book to find something that captured me, I saw a letter from Annie...more
Diana
I confess: I really like reading other people's mail. In my defense, I only do it when it's been published. I love collections of letters, and I love epistolary novels. This was a wonderful mix of light and somber.
Laren
This book takes a sampling of letters written to US Presidents over the years and provides historical perspective of what was going on in the world at the time so you don't need to be a history expert to appreciate them. The letters are actually photocopied in their original form, although there are typed "translations" too in case you can't read the handwriting. The range of subjects covered is sweeping, and the letter writers are young and old, men and women, famous people and unknown citizens...more
David Bales
Interesting and illuminating book of letters from people to various presidents, from George Washington to Bill Clinton, from the National Archives. It includes a letter from the King of Siam to Abraham Lincoln in 1861, where he graciously offers to set up an elephant habitat in the United States, (Lincoln politely demurs) as well as letters from children, celebrities and other foreign heads of state. Some are kind of silly, (a Texas dog association writes to President Johnson to complain about L...more
Lucy
Wow. Talk about an interesting collection--strange sort of combination of self-deprecating patriotism and murky transparency. I mean, these letters really were sent to the presidents, but how representative are they? Look, the National Archives are showing you what they have in their collection!...except that transparency in our government is at an all-time low. Look, we're proclaiming to the world some of the awful trials and dirty scandals this country has gone through!...but we've also surmou...more
Cindy
I admit I skimmed and skipped around but this is the kind of book I'd look for and buy at a used book sale. Some letters were amusing, some very historically significant, and some emotionally stirring. My favorites were: a letter from Herbert Hoover thanking Truman for letting him serve the gov't again, the stepbrother looking for his relative who went on a mercy mission for Jews in Hungary, the Sec of the Interior denouncing Japanese-American internment but the one that made me tear up was from...more
Becky
A collection of letters that have been sent over the years to the President of the United States. Some are hilarious, from children, others are heart breaking. Its covers the range of human emotion, of time, and place in society. I think such collections are important. This collection shows what real, normal (and by that I mean non-politicians) were thinking, and sometimes even when they disagreed with each other.
Juliette
Jul 17, 2008 Juliette rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves US history
This is a cool collection of letters sent to the White House over several decades. The letters are scanned and reproduced in their original glory. Some of the letters are funny, some are disturbing, and others are just interesting. The letter from Elvis is especially cool, as are letters in support of WPA programs. Visually stimulating and interesting.
Stephen
A truly great collection- representative of the issues of the times surrounding the correspondences. the author provides sufficient backstory and follow-up. Each page in intriguing and concise. Well done.
Julie
Sep 23, 2007 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Very interesting letters to various presidents in history, with orginal copys and explinations behind who wrote the letter and why. A good conversational book.
Rachel
This was special. The selection of letters was fascinating, and the author(s) did a wonderful job providing context. I learned quite a lot!
The Cat  In The Hat
Interesting perspective from a historical context. I love evaluating the changes in morales and social attitudes over the years....
Penny Klabunde
Fascinating, sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes funny. Thanks, Becky, for sharing this with me after we visited the Archives together!
Amber
An interresting book. and a some what fast read. My faviote ones were from the kids.
Tommy
Very interesting series of letters gives a peek inside the Oval Office.....
Heather
A nice souvenir from the JFK Library.
Emily Ruzbarsky
Emily Ruzbarsky marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Michelle Griffith
Michelle Griffith is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2014
GoodReadsAccount
GoodReadsAccount marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Kristie Corcoran
Kristie Corcoran marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dear First Lady: Letters to the White House Nemours: A Portrait of Alfred I. duPont's Home Road Trips Through History Alternatives To Sprawl Go to the Land I Will Show You: Studies in Honor of Dwight W. Young