Start by marking “A Mouse Called Wolf” as Want to Read:
A Mouse Called Wolf

A Mouse Called Wolf

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  985 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
Wolfgang Amadeus Mouse ("Wolf," for short) has a big name for such a little mouse. But the name fits. His favorite pastime is listening to Mrs. Honeybee, the lady of the house, play the piano. If only he could sing along to the music! One day, Wolf decides to try -- and to his surprise, out of his mouth comes a perfect melody.

It's not long before Wolf is singing everything
Published March 16th 1999 by Yearling (first published 1997)

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnimal Farm by George OrwellWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne
Best Talking-Animal Books
124th out of 514 books — 581 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellAnimal Farm by George OrwellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Best Books About Animals
392nd out of 948 books — 1,336 voters

More lists with this book...

SusanMJ
Sep 08, 2015 SusanMJ rated it really liked it
Richard
Jun 09, 2012 Richard rated it liked it
Not much is expected from the runt mouse of a large litter. His brothers and sisters make fun of him for being so small. Named as ‘Wolf’ after Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, soon realises he is very special. He opens his mouth one day and becomes the first ever singing mouse! The owner of the house in which Wolf lives plays the piano very well and he is able to copy the songs with a pure singing voice.

They develop a friendship despite not understanding a word of each other. And one day Wolf fulfils h
Nina
Mar 18, 2011 Nina rated it liked it
I started to reread this last night and continued it this afternoon. I finished this book on that short car ride.

4:42PM--
Aww! What a cute book! I didn't feel the same captivation and feelings that I did when I first read it during 3rd Grade, though. That's kind of sad because I was really expecting a lot from my favorite book report when I was younger. :( I even saved this book of Dick King-Smith's for last because I was expecting a lot!

This book is about Wolfgang Amadeus. He is a small mouse wi
Colleen Mckenna
Sep 04, 2011 Colleen Mckenna rated it liked it
A mouse called Wolf tells the story of Wolfgang Amadeus, a mouse with a very special talent, the ability to sing. I enjoyed the use of role reversal in this book in particular when the cat becomes scared of the singing mouse. I thought the relationship between Wolfgang and Mrs Honeybee was touching as they were both lonely and despite being unable to talk were able to communicate through music. I think this idea of alternative communication could potentially be an interesting discussion topic in ...more
Becky
Feb 24, 2009 Becky rated it really liked it
Wolf was the youngest of the children, and the smallest. Therefore, he needed the most important-sounding name his mother could come up with. Looking at a torn piece of paper from the Lady's piano, he was named Wolfgang Amadeus Mo(use). The large, ungangly name made him an even bigger target for teasing, and soon the name was shortened, much to his pleasure, to Wolf. He soon discovered that he was the first mouse ever to have a talent for singing. Not only that, but Wolf became fast friends with ...more
Logan
May 09, 2015 Logan rated it really liked it
Another winner from King-Smith. Wolf is short for Wolfgang Amadeus Mouse and, true to his name, he loves music. He and his mother live in a house with an elderly woman who was once a concert pianist and plays her grand piano twice a day. He might be a small mouse, but when Wolf finds he has a musical talent of his own, his adventures begin. Logan doesn't know much about music so in addition to being an enjoyable read, this story introduced him to a few musical terms and a couple of composers.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This is a lovely chapter book for early readers. The story is about a small mouse who is named after Mozart but is dubbed "Wolf" for short. And the reader discovers that Wolf may have more in common with his namesake than would be expected of a mouse. The friendship between Wold and his human pianist is sweet.
Brittany
Jan 04, 2015 Brittany added it
Recommends it for: Grades 2 and Up
Shelves: easy-reader
The family mouse hole is just behind the leg of a grand piano played twice a day by an elderly woman. Wolf loves the music and, to the delight of Mrs. Honeybee and the bemusement of his mother, he becomes the first singing mouse. His special talent even enables him to summon help when Mrs. Honeybee falls and can't get up.

The three central characters are nicely crafted in this sweet story. Budding young musicians will relate Wolf's struggles to develop his talent and share it with his not-so-musi
Christina
Apr 14, 2008 Christina rated it liked it
Dick King-Wolf is a master of children's "animal-lit." (Is there such a genre? There should be.) This was a sweet book and enjoyable (for a 4-year-old . . . not much younger).
Jo Weston
Oct 11, 2013 Jo Weston rated it it was amazing
Shelves: isabel
My daughter read this independently, and read it quickly. Said it was one of the best and funniest books she had ever read, so it would be rude not to give it the full 5 *****.
Avalon
Apr 10, 2009 Avalon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-stories
I liked how Wolf could sing lots of songs and he saved the woman from dying, he sang and the police came. He's a hero. Wolf was creative; he made up his own song.
Nelly Paulina
Jun 29, 2009 Nelly Paulina rated it it was amazing
we loved this cute little story about wolgang amadeus mouse... the singing mouse. whipped through it from beginning to end in one morning.
Mariana
Apr 15, 2011 Mariana rated it it was amazing
This story is so adorable... I read this in third grade and it was my favorite book, until I read City of Ember:)
Heather
Aug 05, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Very cute story, and an easy read. The boys loved the characters.
Lauren
Dec 30, 2007 Lauren rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: children-s-books
The cutest story! I've read it a few times, and I still like it!
Geneviève
Dec 30, 2008 Geneviève rated it liked it
One of the first english books I ever read
Emily
Jul 25, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Musical People
Recommended to Emily by: My teacher
Shelves: favorites
This is a book every person should read!!
Kathy
Cute little story for pre-school kids.
Caroline
Jul 19, 2009 Caroline rated it liked it
i used to love this. childhood memories
Miss Amanda
gr 2-4 98 pgs

Fantasy, mice. When he is born, his mother searches for a special name for her very small son and decides on "Wolfgang". His siblings enjoy teasing him by calling him "Wolf." Wolf the mouse has a special gift, he can sing! When the old woman, in whose house the mice family live, discovers his special ability, she enjoys accompanying his singing with her playing on the piano. When Mrs. Honeybee falls and needs help, it is up to Wolf to find a way to save the day.

Cute story!!
Cynthia Egbert
Sep 01, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it
I loved Wolfgang Amadeus and the sweet relationship he formed with a lonely widow through music. I would recommend this one highly, especially as a read aloud as a family as there is a lot of fun food for discussion available in this one. It would be ideal to find the music referenced in the story and have the family listen to these pieces along with the reading.
Nora Masgai
Jul 28, 2014 Nora Masgai rated it liked it
I read this story in 5th grade and even did a book report on it. It is about a mother mouse who lives in a piano. She has babies and names one after Wolfy after Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart(After seeing a sheet of piano music). The other mice make fun of of him because he is small and the "baby". This story is a little cheesy for me but it was a sweet novel.
Sam
Jul 18, 2014 Sam rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Little Kids
When I was eight I really liked this book and gave it a 5 out of 5 star rating but now that I am reading it again a the age of 12 I see a HUGE difference in my reading taste and realized that when I was a kid I adored the writing style but now I'm like, WHAT WAS I THINKING! I am thinking now that it is more of a 2.5 star rating in my now smarter and more complex mind.
S
Alexandra Aguirre
Animal non fiction

As far as fiction this was very different from anything I read in the passed. It got one's emotions really moving. One minute I felt sympathy while the next I felt joy. It's quite a thrilling book for portraying the life of a house mouse. This was a chapter book and every chapter was something new and different. I think the book did a good job of tying everything together. The story was about a mouse who has a unique name (Wolfgang Amadeus) who is small and also is bullied for
Fari
I actually really very much enjoyed this book. I usually don't read much children's books but for some reason, I'm not feeling up to reading huge gigantic books. So when I saw this on my sister's shelf, I HAD to pick it up. It was mostly the title that intrigued me, "A Mouse Called Wolf." I love the title!
Chelsie Erin
Jan 25, 2016 Chelsie Erin rated it really liked it
Cute story. I liked how the mouse and woman's thoughts were paralleled. There are some inconsistencies- the mom mouse can read English/German? but not understand (in listening) or speak it- but that is to be expected in such a short children's story. This book is a good quick read.
Kristen
Dick King-Smith can be counted on to deliver a sweet, gentle animal-centric story, and this is no exception. Perfect for second or third graders who like short chapter books but who only need occasional page breaks or illustrations.
Illeyana
Jun 24, 2015 Illeyana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a quick read, I truly enjoy the full circle it made, in reference to his name. Although some things were emphasized heavily, it makes plenty of sense to do so for a young reader. Overall, this was a great book!
Andrew Jameson
Apr 24, 2014 Andrew Jameson rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Evan Jameson
This book is a good book about a mouse who learns to sing.

This book is good but just keep in mind it is some thing that you can read pretty quickly.
Chrisann Justice
Jan 10, 2015 Chrisann Justice rated it it was amazing
I discovered Dick King Smith's books when looking for chapter books to read to Joseph and Alex. We loved every single one we read together!
  • Bless This Mouse
  • Ragweed (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #0)
  • A Rat's Tale
  • Secrets at Sea
  • Gooseberry Park
  • The Prince of the Pond: Otherwise Known as De Fawg Pin
  • Dodsworth in Paris
  • Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig (Mercy Watson #5)
  • Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1-3)
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire! (The Bunny's #1)
  • Jake Drake Know-It-All
  • Ben and Me: An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin by His Good Mouse Amos
  • R-T, Margaret, and the Rats of NIMH
  • The Stories Julian Tells
  • Dominic
  • Little Bo
  • School Days (Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa #3)
  • There's an Owl in the Shower
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get
More about Dick King-Smith...