Mouse Mess

Mouse Mess

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Internationally acclaimed cut-paper artist Linnea Riley presents the delicious tale of a mouse in search of a snack who create chaos in the kitchen. Young readers will relish the midnight snacks and marvel at the antics of a mouse who loves crumbly cookies and crunchy cornflakes! Full color.
Published October 1st 1997 by Blue Sky Press (first published January 1st 1997)

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsLilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin HenkesThe Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsOfficer Buckle & Gloria by Peggy Rathmann
Auntie's Great Picture Books
18th out of 54 books — 17 voters
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBark, George by Jules FeifferFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
186th out of 285 books — 122 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
My nephew really enjoyed Mouse Mess! He laughed at the little mouse's antics, and he said, "Amy, this is my favorite book! I want to bring it home and read it in my room!" He sat his little stuffed mouse down beside him because he thought Mousie would also enjoy this story. I think Mousie did like it quite a lot. :-)

Although this story is well below my niece's reading level, she also enjoyed the story. She especially liked the pictures, which are bright, fun, works of art, really. She enjoyed ho...more
Natalie
Yes, the mouse does behave poorly. But it's a mouse! He's not even being anthropomorphized. Plus, he's terrorizing a human's kitchen, not his own family. If it was a child that made this mess, I wouldn't let this book come home with me. But just to be safe, I'm only going to read it to other people's children.

The raking cornflakes scene is making me throw this in with my other late Autumn stories.
David
Mouse Mess by Linnea Asplind Riley is a tasty tale of a mouse who creates kitchen chaos in creating a 'snack.' The mouse adds insult to injury when he says "These people need to clean their house!" Then he cleans himself up and goes to sleep.

The text has rhythm and rhyme to entertain listeners and readers alike.
Mouse crunches, munches, sniffs, splashes, trips and slips his way around the kitchen. A large font makes this a beginning reader choice.

The cut paper illustrations really carry this stor...more
Leslie Stair
CLASS:
Toddler Storybook Art Class
BOOK(s):
Mouse Mess & Lunch!

LINKS:
Mouse template can be found here, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...)

BOOK SHARING:
I first read Mouse Mess by Riley then Lunch! by Fleming (you could do only one book if you had less time) during our class and included ASL signs that were food and mess related (I did mouse and a few foods signs and dirty and clean) I also used felt story pieces that I had made based on the book. I put a large felt mouse on the felt boar...more
Kristie
•Brief summary
Mouse gets up for a snack but makes a horrible mess. He has to work very hard to clean it up.

•Audience
I would use this book in preschool, kindergarten or first grade.

•Appeal
This book has very big bold pictures. This book has lots of fun rhymes.

•Implementation
I would use this book in two different ways. I would use it at the beginning of the year to talk about always picking up after our selves. We pick up after our selfs because it would not be very nice to make someone else do...more
Amber
This little book has been labeled a favorite by both my boys a decade a part. The illustrations are delightful. They are filled with vibrant eye catching color. Told from a "mouse eye" view of the counter top this little mouse proceeds to wreck this house.

He makes piles of cornflakes to dive in, and munches on cookies and cheese. He bounces from food to food spilling, diving and nibbling. My son enjoys calling out , "There is the cookie, There is that mouse " page to page. After the mouse dest...more
Becky
Oct 27, 2008 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids ages 2-5
Shelves: children-and-ya
Cute, fun picture book in which a mouse raids the kitchen after the humans have gone to bed. The mouse makes an awfully big mess as he enjoys his feast. When he's full, he takes a step back, surveys the mess and proclaims, "These people need to clean their house!" The mouse goes to bed without cleaning up his mess -- the way a real mouse would!

But cleaning up your own messes isn't the message here. In fact, this isn't a book with a message any heavier than "food can be fun!" Simple, lively rhymi...more
Brandi
A brightly illustrated picture book about a mouse eating various foods and making a mess in the process.

I just have to say, I don't like mice. And I don't know why they are so darn popular in children's literature. Ugh.
Ramanda Flannery
This book is about a little mouse who wates for the people to go to bed and then ventures out to eat. He goes through everything in the cabinets and the fridge finding things to eat. He makes a horrible mess of things. When he's done eating he looks around and says "who made this awful mess?" He runs some hot water in a coffee cup and takes a bath then he goes to bed leaving his mess behind.
This book is cute and easy to read to children. It has many bright and colorful pictures and the pictures...more
Robert
Cute pictures. Clever use of miniature perspective.
Alyson Rizk
Mouse Mess is one of my favorite books. it has large colorful pictures and rhyming words. This book is not only great to read when discussing rhyming words but also when discussing nutriton. There are pictures of foods that are good for you and bad for you.

LE- For Mouse Mess, I would have each group create a picture from the story with foods the mouse ate and played with. We wouild then display all the pictures in order to recreate the story.
jacky
This was a play group story time book. The leader didn't read most of the actual text because it was a bit long for her audience, but she read segments and talked through the pictures. In general, it was fun watching the mouse making a mess with the food. For young readers, it could be a great book to read to identify food items and just talk about food.
Mary
This is a funny book about a mouse who makes a big mess without realizing he is doing it. The pictures are made up of large, geometric shapes, so it is good for young children to start to learn how those shapes go together. Also, the story invites dialogic reading and inferences on the part of children to discern what happened.
Sharon
This is a great story to read to students in a classroom and use a prop for the mouse. Allow one of the children who has the most behavior problems to come up and hold the mouse prop. It will greatly engage the child and provide him or her with responsibility.
Bethann
While, I did not think this book was very interesting, I did think it had excellent rhyming words. Most of the entire book rhymed and this would be a great book to use in an introduction to rhyming words. I believe the children would also love the pictures.
Destinee Sutton
Linnea Riley's illustrations are bold and awesome, but the grown-up in me kept cringing at the terrible mess the mouse makes. I mean, sure it'd be fun to stomp on corn flakes and make brown sugar castles--but the mess! The mess!
Debra
The art is interesting. First time I've heard of this "critically acclaimed" cut-paper artist. Done in rhyme, the story was a fun. A family leaves their kitchen clean. A mouse raids the cupboards, leaving a huge mess
Laura Salas
Almost pitch-perfect meter, an engaging mouse, and a hilarious ending make this book a treat. I especially live the mouse soaking in a teacup bubble bath and wondering, "Who made this awful mess?" Ha! I wonder...
Patricia
I loved the story and the illustrations that perfectly matched. The rhyming is especially appealing for preschool and kindergarten students. This is a story I will definitely read to my kindergartners!
Melissa
Once there lived a quiet mouse (hold up index finger)
In a quiet little house (close other fist over index finger)
When all was quiet as can be (put finger to lips)
OUT POPPED He! (Pull finger out of fist)
Janet
Ah, the mouse waits till the humans go to bed for the night and then all the food becomes a feast. Loved that the bed for the mouse was a sardine can. Definitely fun illustrations.
Kim Browning
This book has great, wonderful pictures and a cute story about a mouse that gets up at night to eat a snack. There is rhyming text that adds interest.
Charleen
For some inexplicable reason, this is one of my son's all-time favourite books. We don't own it, but it is frequently requested from the library.

Stephanie Smoot
This book is a story about a very messy mouse that needs to learn to clean up after himself. I would use this in a lesson to teach sequencing.
Allison
Can I just say this was Gage's favorite book when he was three? He memorized the book and would read it to us...ahhh memories!
Michelle
Okay, this was just fun, fun, fun. Great pictures, bold colors, cute conclusion. Great for a "food" or "messy" storytime theme.
Brooke
This is one of my most favorite books to read to my kids. The pictures are great and the rhyming text is simple and fun.
Kayla
A very adorable book, great for a bed time story! Illustrations are eye catching, and the story is rhythmic.
Lidra West
Cute little read aloud book for children of all ages. This book is about a little mouse who makes a big mess.
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • Lunch
  • This Little Chick
  • Clip-Clop
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Hello Baby!
  • Feast for 10
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Worms for Lunch?