Start by marking “Mouse Mess” as Want to Read:
Mouse Mess

Mouse Mess

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  506 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Internationally acclaimed cut-paper artist Linnea Riley presents the delicious tale of a mouse in search of a snack who create chaos in the kitchen. Young readers will relish the midnight snacks and marvel at the antics of a mouse who loves crumbly cookies and crunchy cornflakes! Full color.
Published October 1st 1997 by Blue Sky Press (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mouse Mess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mouse Mess

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsLilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin HenkesThe Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsOfficer Buckle & Gloria by Peggy Rathmann
Auntie's Great Picture Books
18th out of 59 books — 18 voters
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBark, George by Jules FeifferFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
227th out of 326 books — 180 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura Watson
Nov 12, 2015 Laura Watson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
This is a story of a mouse who lives in a house with a family. When the family goes to bed he raids the kitchen and eats all sorts of different foods. He makes a giant mess! The pictures are very fun as the mouse rakes corn flakes, makes castles with brown sugar and takes a bath in a pot.
This is a great picture rhyming book for kids. They can use the rhymes to try to think of new words that could make a new rhyme. It could also be a good way to teach food vocabulary to very beginning ELL.
Amy
Oct 03, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
My nephew really enjoyed Mouse Mess! He laughed at the little mouse's antics, and he said, "Amy, this is my favorite book! I want to bring it home and read it in my room!" He sat his little stuffed mouse down beside him because he thought Mousie would also enjoy this story. I think Mousie did like it quite a lot. :-)

Although this story is well below my niece's reading level, she also enjoyed the story. She especially liked the pictures, which are bright, fun, works of art, really. She enjoyed ho
Jessica
Sep 18, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
I really like the stark, geometric illustrations of Mouse Mess. Now that I think about it, there are so many books involving mice and food; you could actually do a storytime on that if that wasn't so weirdly specific (If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, Lunch, The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear). It's a simple story of a mouse who makes a mess eating and then marvels at the mess that the humans who live there made. It was probably the least favorite book that I shared a ...more
Natalie
Nov 01, 2010 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Yes, the mouse does behave poorly. But it's a mouse! He's not even being anthropomorphized. Plus, he's terrorizing a human's kitchen, not his own family. If it was a child that made this mess, I wouldn't let this book come home with me. But just to be safe, I'm only going to read it to other people's children.

The raking cornflakes scene is making me throw this in with my other late Autumn stories.
David
Aug 08, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Mouse Mess by Linnea Asplind Riley is a tasty tale of a mouse who creates kitchen chaos in creating a 'snack.' The mouse adds insult to injury when he says "These people need to clean their house!" Then he cleans himself up and goes to sleep.

The text has rhythm and rhyme to entertain listeners and readers alike.
Mouse crunches, munches, sniffs, splashes, trips and slips his way around the kitchen. A large font makes this a beginning reader choice.

The cut paper illustrations really carry this stor
Leslie Stair
CLASS:
Toddler Storybook Art Class
BOOK(s):
Mouse Mess & Lunch!

LINKS:
Mouse template can be found here, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...)

BOOK SHARING:
I first read Mouse Mess by Riley then Lunch! by Fleming (you could do only one book if you had less time) during our class and included ASL signs that were food and mess related (I did mouse and a few foods signs and dirty and clean) I also used felt story pieces that I had made based on the book. I put a large felt mouse on the felt boar
Renate Robey
This is a colorful book about a mouse who makes quite a mess in the kitchen while a family is asleep. It rhymes, and would be good for phonological awareness. Ask the children if they've ever made a mess in the kitchen or how their parents would feel if they made a mess like these. They will have stories. A nice feature of this book is that the actions of the mouse are broken into different pictures - which will make it easy for the children to really follow along.
Yasmin Gomez Geng
Mouse wakes up and wants food. After eating crackers, creating sand castles, spilling milk, and creating other messes, Mouse takes a bath and goes to bed. Who will find the mess?

This book is fun but could also be used to talk about cleaning up after one is done, to take responsibility for messes, and similar topics.

Grade: Kindergarten to 2nd Grade
Topic: Fantasy, Animals, Cleaning Up, Good/Bad Behavior
Mary
Jan 05, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
A bright and colorful rhyming picture book about a mouse’s visit to the kitchen for a late night snack. Mouse’s kitchen behavior is outrageous. For example, mouse is raking and jumping into piles of corn flakes and building castles out of brown sugar. In no time, the kitchen is a disaster with food everywhere. Large, cut-paper colleges with a lively amusing text make this ideal for a bedtime read aloud.
September Michaud
Bright, colorful paper illustrations. Lots of interesting food items to look at.

This is a very easy read that would be good for younger children and I think I could use it (along with another book) in a story time aimed at 0-5 year olds.

Super short rhyming story about a mouse who goes out for a midnight snack or ten.
Ramona
Dec 19, 2015 Ramona rated it it was amazing
This is a fun story that has a lot of illustrations. Children will have fun looking at the pictures and discussing what is happening in each picture. The story is about a mouse who comes out of his hole and goes and has a feast in the kitchen. He ends up making a mess and then blames the owners for having such a messy house. My preschoolers loves this story. They have fun with the pictures. This is a good book for kindergartners in that it can be used in teaching about keeping your surroundings ...more
Jenna
Cute enough, and I think I made all the kids hungry. Some of the writing wasn't the smoothest, but it was overall a fun and well-received book. Nice and bright illustrations, although as the mess increased, it might've been a bit overwhelming for the kids to distinguish between items of similar color tones.
Emily Von pfahl
Feb 29, 2016 Emily Von pfahl rated it really liked it
Highly entertaining. Very funny words are used that have a nice rhythm and rhyme which makes them easier to read. My favorite parts are when he rakes up a pile of corn flakes and jumps in them, and when he makes a castle out of brown sugar.
Kristie
Sep 16, 2012 Kristie rated it it was amazing
•Brief summary
Mouse gets up for a snack but makes a horrible mess. He has to work very hard to clean it up.

•Audience
I would use this book in preschool, kindergarten or first grade.

•Appeal
This book has very big bold pictures. This book has lots of fun rhymes.

•Implementation
I would use this book in two different ways. I would use it at the beginning of the year to talk about always picking up after our selves. We pick up after our selfs because it would not be very nice to make someone else do
Amber
Jul 25, 2012 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This little book has been labeled a favorite by both my boys a decade a part. The illustrations are delightful. They are filled with vibrant eye catching color. Told from a "mouse eye" view of the counter top this little mouse proceeds to wreck this house.

He makes piles of cornflakes to dive in, and munches on cookies and cheese. He bounces from food to food spilling, diving and nibbling. My son enjoys calling out , "There is the cookie, There is that mouse " page to page. After the mouse dest
Becky
Oct 27, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids ages 2-5
Shelves: children-and-ya
Cute, fun picture book in which a mouse raids the kitchen after the humans have gone to bed. The mouse makes an awfully big mess as he enjoys his feast. When he's full, he takes a step back, surveys the mess and proclaims, "These people need to clean their house!" The mouse goes to bed without cleaning up his mess -- the way a real mouse would!

But cleaning up your own messes isn't the message here. In fact, this isn't a book with a message any heavier than "food can be fun!" Simple, lively rhymi
Paige P
Sep 23, 2014 Paige P rated it it was amazing
Mouse mess is a cute rhyming book. It is easy to read with a nice flow. It also teaches children that mice will get into anything and make messes. The big pictures make it fun for kids as well.
Yesi
Sep 23, 2014 Yesi rated it it was amazing
Great rhyming book! This book would be great to use with rhymes and have children talk about it. It is very cute and the pictures are quite unique.
Ruth Ann
Jan 12, 2015 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it
Mouse makes a mess while eating at night and then fails to see that he is the cause! Funny and delightful story!
Dec 03, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, autonomy, rhymes
This book is full of unpredictable rhymes & colorful illustrations. I would most certainly recommend it!
Vicki
Jan 15, 2015 Vicki rated it liked it
Awesome illustrations in this book! Short text with descriptive words.
Brandi
Jan 22, 2014 Brandi rated it it was ok
A brightly illustrated picture book about a mouse eating various foods and making a mess in the process.

I just have to say, I don't like mice. And I don't know why they are so darn popular in children's literature. Ugh.
Ramanda Flannery
Sep 07, 2011 Ramanda Flannery rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book is about a little mouse who wates for the people to go to bed and then ventures out to eat. He goes through everything in the cabinets and the fridge finding things to eat. He makes a horrible mess of things. When he's done eating he looks around and says "who made this awful mess?" He runs some hot water in a coffee cup and takes a bath then he goes to bed leaving his mess behind.
This book is cute and easy to read to children. It has many bright and colorful pictures and the pictures
Laura Jensen-Kimball
Apr 01, 2016 Laura Jensen-Kimball rated it it was amazing
One of our favorite rhyming books. We know it by heart.
Carol Royce Owen
Aug 27, 2015 Carol Royce Owen rated it it was amazing
Great use of rhyme in this boldly illustrated picture book.
R
Apr 30, 2014 R rated it really liked it
Cute pictures. Clever use of miniature perspective.
Oct 15, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Adorable messy mouse
Alyson Rizk
Jun 13, 2013 Alyson Rizk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming
Mouse Mess is one of my favorite books. it has large colorful pictures and rhyming words. This book is not only great to read when discussing rhyming words but also when discussing nutriton. There are pictures of foods that are good for you and bad for you.

LE- For Mouse Mess, I would have each group create a picture from the story with foods the mouse ate and played with. We wouild then display all the pictures in order to recreate the story.
Janet Squires
Oct 21, 2015 Janet Squires rated it it was amazing
It is often the first book I read with kindergartners. They love the colorful pictures of the mouse doing everyday activities using kitchen utensils -- raking cornflake leaves with a fork, bathing in a teacup. The rhyming text is an added delight. Most of all, the children love being able to predict the last line of the story using the rhyming words for their clues.
jacky
Nov 18, 2010 jacky rated it liked it
This was a play group story time book. The leader didn't read most of the actual text because it was a bit long for her audience, but she read segments and talked through the pictures. In general, it was fun watching the mouse making a mess with the food. For young readers, it could be a great book to read to identify food items and just talk about food.
  • Lunch
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Say Hello Like This!
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • Worms for Lunch?
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • Clip-Clop
  • Potato Joe
  • Mice
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!