Start by marking “Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)” as Want to Read:
Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)

Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  13,439 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
NOTE: This is not the book by Beverly Cleary, but a guide to teachers to accompany it.

This time-saving, easy-to-use teacher guide includes inspiring lesson plans which provide a comprehensive novel unit--the legwork is done for you! The guide incorporates essential reading, writing and thinking practice.
Published 2000 by Novel Units

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnimal Farm by George OrwellWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne
Best Talking-Animal Books
69th out of 535 books — 608 voters
The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid BanksHow to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas RockwellThe Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly ClearyThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienSideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar
Great Books For Third Grade Boys
55th out of 233 books — 106 voters

More lists with this book...

Nov 20, 2007 cassie rated it it was ok
C'mon -- a mouse on a motorcycle? How long must I suspend my disbelief in this illogical series? Were these books written for children?
Michele Lee
Sep 20, 2008 Michele Lee rated it liked it
Ralph is tired of his relatives trying to make him share his beloved motorcycle. And he's afraid zooming through the mud puddles in the lobby of the inn where he lives has gotten his friend Matt in trouble. So with the help of his human friend Ralph runs away, to Irwin J. Sneed Elementary School, where there are long halls without carpet to ride on and plenty of good things to eat.
Except that the students of Room 5 turns Ralph into a class project and an article in the town paper accuses the sc
Apr 05, 2010 ABC rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2009 Gwen rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-read, children
If only life could be like this. I enjoyed this book immensely as a child and wondered how it would hold up under an adult's scrutiny. I still enjoyed it. Although I can't make my car go by saying "vroom" the world in which Ralph S. Mouse is realistic and relatable to young children. It deals with various issues such as: sibling arguements over property, getting blamed for things or feeling that this are your fault, wanting to run away, single-parent households, economic strife. I know, a lot of ...more
Shellys♥ Journal
May 20, 2012 Shellys♥ Journal rated it really liked it
The third book in the Ralph series brings a satisfying conclusion to the dilemma of Ralph and his motorcycle. Due to envy and jealous of his mouse cousins, Ralph asks Ryan (who lives at the hotel with his mother who is a maid) to take him to school to avoid conflict. This creates all kinds of new challenges for Ralph and for the class who "adopts" him.

The first book in this series is by far the best, but the two additional books give children more time with lovable Ralph and his dare devil stunt
May 06, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it
the second book read w/ Sam. I read Beverly Cleary books as a kid. It is a fun story that Sam was hypnotized while I read to him. I often thought he was not paying attention, I would ask him a question and he'd respond - yeah don't you remember Kiss K wanted to do this - so I know he wasw. I also think he enjoyed my using different voices for some of the characters. Ralph, the mouse, spends time in a hotel, and then to Irvin S. Sneed Elementary School. He figures out a faster way to solve the ma ...more
Sep 28, 2012 Jenn rated it liked it
This is a fun one, though not as good as the original Mouse and the Motorcycle. My kids were obsessed with the fact that Ralph wasn't still with Keith and kept inventing scenarios in which Ralph would find Keith. We'll have to wait a while to move on to Runaway Ralph. (We are actually reading these out of order, which drives me crazy, but that is the way the audio was put together.)

**Audio Review: Same blah narration as the last, although the kids didn't seem bothered a bit.
Richard Rothaus
Jun 06, 2012 Richard Rothaus rated it liked it
Not as good as the Mouse and the Motorcycle, and aimed at children who are struggling with the first social struggles of elementary school. Like many of Cleary's book, the sentiment and tone will ring true for generations. The details of the books are becoming dated. Given the target of young readers with limited attention spans, revised editions might be in order so that children don't get hung up on anachronistic details and language.
Aug 14, 2011 Gene rated it it was amazing
Ralph S. Mouse is excellent. I first read this book when it was newly published. I had enjoyed the previous two mouse and the motorcycle books and was excited to be the first to check it out from the school library. I had great enjoyment reading this story to my children and kept captivated five boys who range in age from 3 to 13, all are Ralph fans and fans of Beverly Cleary, I am pleased to say.
Dec 03, 2007 Alida rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 3-5
I really enjoyed The Mouse and the Motorcyle when I was younger and thought I might like this one. I think this is a cute and funny book that most kids might like. Ralph gets fed up and wants to go to school. He eventually gets discovered by the kids. Kids will like the adventure side of Ralph and the humor in the book. I would use this book when talking about friends and relationships.
Mr. Coomey teacher
Feb 01, 2013 Mr. Coomey teacher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: maxine
It was a awesome book!! I had a great time reading should read it. it's about a mouse who lost a motorcycle. He was stuck in school.But his was in a fight withI liked that ralph has a new vehicle. Which is a car it was a XL7.He used a motorcycle noise.This was funny because he had to use the car noise but he had to say the car noise backward which is hard to say moorv.
Sep 28, 2009 Colin rated it really liked it
This is the one that I remember liking best of the series. I remember being utterly delighted as a child that Ralph not only had a middle initial that stood for Smart, but that he also had a last name that was Mouse. How satisfyingly sensible. Afterward, all my stuffed animals acquired middle initials, I believe.
May 12, 2010 Leigh rated it it was ok
I have never read any Beverly Cleary books, maybe I should have started with Ramona. This book was just okay, not memorable, not really even well written, and then the ending had a few happy ending things thrown in that really bugged me. Any other suggestions by Beverly Cleary?
Mar 08, 2009 KatieLynn rated it it was amazing
Ralph S. Mouse is about a mouse and his family who live in a hotel. When Ralph is tired of living in the crowded hotel, he decides to move out of there. And so begins an adventure of a lifetime as Ralph learns to be alone. But something else happens....
Jun 24, 2011 Alexandra rated it really liked it
A mouse that drives a motorcycle attends school. My boys (my soon to be Kindergartender esp) are very much enjoying reading about this mouse's adventures and emotions as he is initiated into academic life. I just love Beverly Cleary.
Ajcmeyer Meyer
Apr 28, 2008 Ajcmeyer Meyer rated it it was ok
My two girls ages 4 and 8 really enjoyed this book. I read it aloud to them a chapter at a time before they went to bed at night. I found it very dull and not one I would recommend. Hey maybe this is what put them to sleep each night ;)
Feb 22, 2012 Lwillis101 rated it really liked it
This book was good but a little boring to me. The ending was kind of cool with Ryan and Brad becoming brothers. But as far as fantasies go with animals talking, this book wasn't as adventurous as I was anticipating.
Jun 09, 2009 Nikki rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Another hit with my kids. I even heard my son saying, "You know what? Fighting never solves anything." A direct quote from Miss K from the book. I love it when kids remember GOOD things they hear me say.
Feb 23, 2012 DeNae rated it liked it
Another fun adventure with Ralph. It wasn't as endearing as The Mouse and the Motorcycle, but still a good story to share with a young child. Audrey really liked it and is excited to read Runaway Ralph next.
Dec 24, 2009 Lindsey rated it liked it
Shelves: young
Cleary is a great children's writer.

Favorite quote: Furious with Ryan for not managing to save him from this indignity, he crawled into a thumb where he thought mean thoughts about everyone in Room 5.
Trisha Simmons
Mar 15, 2011 Trisha Simmons rated it really liked it
Shelves: t-l-306
I thought this was a good chapter book with lots of adventures for the mouse. It had some pictures which was nice for a chapter book. My first grader loved this book for a read aloud.
Had so much fun reading this to my 5 yr old. I had forgotten the tale, being years since I had read it myself. Such a great story for young kids. Love Beverly Cleary.
Apr 14, 2008 ZZ rated it really liked it
Recommended to ZZ by: Mrs. Schuler
We just finished reading this in school. It was good and at the end of the book Ralph got a sport car because somebody broke his motorcycle.
Jul 12, 2012 Abby rated it really liked it
Shelves: children

This was a funny story I read to my 5yr old. I loved Beverly Cleary books when I was a little girl and think she'll enjoy them all too!
Aug 14, 2011 Jesse rated it it was amazing
I want to recommend it to everyone in the whole wide world, but you might want to read the first two books because I didn't understand it.
Oct 04, 2011 Karsen rated it really liked it
I thoght that it was good because it was about school and I like school so I had a conection whitch made me like it more.
Oct 04, 2009 Carsyn rated it it was amazing
My teacher read us The Mouse and the Motorcycle so I read the next one and loved it as much as the one I listened to.
Wes Hunter
Jul 27, 2007 Wes Hunter rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids
i read this when i was a kid and i liked it, i basically just put it on here so i'd have more books than penny.
Aug 27, 2007 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidstuff
A Mouse and a Motorcycle and adventure. I didn't know that talking mice could make me so weepy...
Jul 01, 2008 Morgan rated it liked it
Listening to this in the van with my four year old. It's fun.

The reader was annoying.
  • Runaway Ralph (Ralph S. Mouse, #2)
  • Henry & Ramona
  • The Secret of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #3)