Social Animal

Social Animal

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  790 ratings  ·  46 reviews
How are the beliefs and behaviors of people influenced by others? For more than twenty years, Elliot Aronson's The Social Animal has been captivating readers by looking at the answers to this multifaceted question. Presenting the story of modern social psychology as a vivid, engaging narrative, Aronson has provided the most authoritative and accessible introduction to the...more
Published September 1st 1994 by W.H. Freeman & Company (first published 1972)

Jenn
The author states that he purposely left this book brief so that it could serve as an introduction to social psychology. As valid a goal as that might be, Elliot Aronson's approach leaves the reader with a book that only provides examples and defines barely any terms or theories. Aronson must have known that his book may be used as primary text for a social psychology class (as it was in mine), which makes the inadequacies of this book inexcusable.

The author bolds key terms but a review of the d...more
Ernest
This insightful social psychology book for the curious layperson provoked and challenged the way I think about influences that people have and are subjected to. In an increasingly intellectual apathetic world, it was really interesting to read about research into humans as an influencing and influential being on others, especially in ways that surprised or were counterintuitive.

As a book written to be brief, I can understand the author not going into some concepts in more scholarly detail. Howe...more
عبدالرحمن عقاب
هذا الكتاب يعتبر بحق مقدمة نافعة و متقنة في مجال علم النفس الاجتماعي.
فصوله الثلاث الأولى أهم في موضوعاتها وأكثر إتقانا في عرضها من الأخيرة.
يمتاز الكتاب بسلاسة الأسلوب، وترتيب الأفكار. ويعيبه طول فصوله وإسهابه في مواطن لا تحتاج إلى الإسهاب والإطالة ويمكن فيها الاستغناء بذكر تجربة أو اثنتين والتركيز على النتائج. وينقصه الجداول والملخصات في الهوامش فهي لو أضيفت ستعطيه إفادة وتميزا وفائدة أكبر.
Yvonne
Jan 04, 2009 Yvonne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in psychology
I had to read this book for my Social Psychology class and it was (quite possibly) the only "text" book I ever actually read. It was a fascinating merging of psychology in a social context. The subject is immediately applicable to real life.
Zachary Zhao
For every subject, there is a Bible textbook. This has to be the one for Social Psychology.
Evan Pickett
This is one of the best and most illuminating books I have ever read.

This book is what every self-help book dreams of being; instead of anecdotes or feel-good advice, there's 400 pages of meticulously referenced (sadly just endnotes, not sidenotes or footnotes) peer-reviewed articles. Aronson's life work is, as he concludes the book, understanding "how we think, how we behave, what makes us aggressive, and what makes us loving." So many books peck around the edges of that topic; this book, now i...more
Kenny Bell
This book has truly effected the way I deal with every day situations. Although this book was very dense, Elliot Aronson writes simplistically.

The most revolutionary thing I take from this book that I always seem to have my brain meddle in is cognitive dissonance. Cognitive dissonance is when you have two conflicting beliefs.

For example, when you have to clean your room and its filthy but you don't feel like it. You feel like a dirty person but you try to stay clean outwardly in front of peopl...more
Stefano Finazzo
Pois o bicho humano é uma caixinha de surpresas.

Elliot Aronson escreveu um livro-texto para ajudar a entender a falácia da racionalidade humana. Pois quando o bicho humano está próximo de outro bicho humano, a coisa muda de figura.

Esse é o tipo de coisa que todos, principalmente os que se acham completamente racionais, precisam entender um pouco. O bicho humano age por outros mecanismos além da razão que podem, insidiosamente, se fazerem valer por razão. O poder da conformidade, da dissonância c...more
Robin
Good basic social psychology textbook. Accessible to those who are completely new to the discipline. Intermediate readers might want more information.
Wenting
The book's writing style is very interesting.
Alex
even though this was a read for school, i rather enjoyed it. it was extremely repetitive, but the author indicates that he is repetitive so it is not as annoying as it could be. if you are interested in social issues, i found this to be an interesting read--that also helped me fall asleep at night.
Ahmed Abdelrazek
لو تقييم الكتاب دا من 100 هاديله 100 ... الكتاب دا احسن كتاب قريته في حياتي ... اولا هو أحد الأسباب في أني أقرر اتخصصص سيكولوجي ... فهمني حاجات كتير جدا عن نفسي وعن المجتمع اللي انا عايش فيه ... من خلاله قدرت أفسر تصرفات ناس كتير وليه بيعملوها ... أنا بقرأ في الكتاب من خمس شهور مش عشان مش عارف اخلصه لكن عشان كل ما اقرأ جزء لازم أقف وأفكر فيه وأهضمه من روعته وفايدته ...انا واخد أجزاء من الكتاب عامله 46 صفحة ... قررت أشتر يالكتاب دا هدية لنفسي في عيدميلادي الجاي
Taylor Alcantar
I read this book for a sociology class and I was surprised by how much I liked it. I would have read this for "fun" and the language is really accessible. I would recommend this book for anyone who likes to people watch, reading this book was like people "watching" people's thoughts. It really gave me a lot of insight into human behavior and made me pause and reflect on myself.
Mac
One of the most influential books which have totally changed my perspective on people's psychology, making the readers become more aware of the little insignificant details that influence their lives on the subconscious level. Nothing is as it seems, and you can always dig a little deeper to find something else hidden beneath the exterior.
Assaad
Excellent. It's an encyclopedia for modern psychology. Covering a very wide range of experiences. I really really enjoy it. When I finished the book, I felt like I don't need to read anything anymore about Social Psychology!
I was also amazed by the scientific approach to do experiments in social psychology.
Chapeau-bas!
Red Kempf
This is an amazing book about the world of psychology and how as a people we function. It does not cover the individual, but instead the group and how individuality can be lost in situations. Readable for all and not over academic, Elliot Aronson writes in a style that is clear and creates interest. One of my favorite books.
Virginia
I read this book for a graduate class in Social Psychology. For a required read, it was pretty good. I'm not sure it was one I would have picked up on my own, but it was very interesting and written in a reader-friendly format. Definitely one of the better "required" reads in my academic career.
Alford Wayman
An excellent introduction to the field of social psychology! Learned some intresting things on why people think and act like they do. This was a most
helpful introduction when thought about in light of religion. After reading this I would love to learn more about the field of social psychology!
Borja Díaz
A easy to read book on social psychology that provides scientific research through humor and examples. It's a true eye opener to learn that probabilistically you will react to scenarios differently than how you actually react to them. This book will make you auto-evaluate yourself.
Madyson
If I didn't have to focus and memorize minute details (as this was assigned for class) I probably would have given this 5 stars. It was interesting, informative, and I would recommend everyone read it to get a little insight on our social world.
KC
I actually read a much earlier edition, but I have to say it's a great book to spark interest in sociology. I was really fascinated by the various experiments and topics Aronson discusses, and I probably wouldn't mind reading it over again.
Jillybean
Reading for my Social Psychology class . . . actually a very interesting textbook . . .

A textbook that reads more like a novel . . . wish they were all like this. A fascinating book that delves into the human psych.
Laurel
My book club read this book. It provides an excellent discussion at book club. Very interesting ideas of human nature, personalities, motivations, social behaviors etc. I would recommend this for any book club.
Blake
One of the best books I have read on human behavior. It contains the basic research test in social psychology and an also provides a simple explanation of the research outcomes. A must read!!!
Julie
May 10, 2007 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anthropologist
An entertaining peek into the age old social aspects of human beings. I also love Aronson's language. He makes scientific non-fiction just as amusing and easy to read as Judy Blume.
Ellie
Fascinating book, but I wonder how much we can say about universal human psychology when most of the experiments are done with college students, who are not an especially diverse group.
Austin Simpson
One of the best 'textbooks' I've ever read... I put textbooks in quotes, because this stands as a book in its own right. Essential reading for anyone interested in psychology.
Solana
I had to read portions of this for a class and ended up reading the whole thing! I find social psych a fascinating subject and Aronson presents the info in an approachable way.
Daryl Benson
This is one of my favorite college-slash-text-books that I read in college. It defines the human condition. It is absolutely fantastic and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Katherine
I read this for my Social Psychology class, and I learned a lot about myself and why I do things. I believe I enjoyed it more than any textbook I have ever read.
  • Influence: Science and Practice
  • The Person and the Situation: Perspectives of Social Psychology
  • Out of Character: Surprising Truths About the Liar, Cheat, Sinner (and Saint) Lurking in All of Us
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • Beyond Culture
  • Strangers to Ourselves: Discovering the Adaptive Unconscious
  • Mindfulness
  • Social Engineering: The Art of Human Hacking
  • Neuromarketing: Understanding the Buy Buttons in Your Customer's Brain
  • Obedience to Authority
  • Breakthrough Advertising
  • How To Think Straight About Psychology (8th Edition)
  • Fascinate: Unlocking the Secret Triggers of Influence, Persuasion, and Captivation
  • The Optimism Bias: A Tour of the Irrationally Positive Brain
  • What Makes Your Brain Happy and Why You Should Do the Opposite
  • The Story of Psychology
  • Numbers Rule Your World: The Hidden Influence of Probabilities and Statistics on Everything You Do
  • Priceless: The Myth of Fair Value (and How to Take Advantage of It)
Elliot Aronson (Born January 1932) is listed among the 100 most eminent psychologist of the 20th Century, best known for his Jigsaw Classroom experiments, cognitive dissonance research, and bestselling Social Psychology textbooks. He is the only person in the 120-year history of the American Psychological Association to have won all three of its major awards: For distinguished writing (1973), for...more
More about Elliot Aronson...
Social Psychology Nobody Left to Hate Not by Chance Alone: My Life as a Social Psychologist Readings about the Social Animal, Ninth Edition The Jigsaw Classroom: Building Cooperation in the Classroom