Start by marking “The Tower” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Tower

Simon Clark

The Tower

The Tower stands in solitude. What began as a seventeenth-century manor house has grown over the centuries into something very different. Something evil. There are the stark walls, the shadow-filled rooms, the lonely corridors. But the Tower is haunted by much more than ghosts of the past, and it can do far more than simply terrify. It has a dark heart and it has grown res ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Tower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tower

mark monday
Jul 25, 2016 mark monday rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horrortime
synopsis: ambitious band goes to a remote Yorkshire mansion to put together their first demo. scary shenanigans ensue.

not much to say about this one except that I quite liked it. it is basically a classic haunted house tale given some intriguing flourishes (a house that can physically bring people back against their will, people dreaming about their eventual deaths) and some modern trappings (favorite bit: at one point the band uses THE POWER OF ROCK 'N' ROLL to fight the mansion's evil - and it
Bandit
Jan 30, 2014 Bandit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
During the the Leisure horror years Clark was at the top of his game. His books ranged from awesome to really good and Tower falls under the latter category. Plot's simple enough...band of 20somethings in search of place to practice and record go to a remote old house with, that's right, a tower, where they proceed to have terrifying premonitory dreams of their imminent and horrific deaths. Clark infuses it with his style of very dynamic writing/pacing making for a fun exciting fairly quick (4.5 ...more
Jade Heslin
The author of the book, Simon Clark, was supposed to be coming to see us discuss this book at book club. I am relieved (for his sake)that he has pulled out.

The fact that he is likened to Stephen King on the book’s cover is insulting. This is absolute drivel. I have never felt compelled to write a novel myself (mainly because I lack imagination), but I sincerely reckon that I could’ve done a better job of it than Clark. He seems to know only a handful of words. Sounds always “ghost” through the a
Nicole
Dec 27, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay...not BAD. It took me the second time around to finish this book. It really wasn't terrible but it certainly was read on a day when it was too cold to bus to the library and so I made do with what was already in my bookshelf that I hadn't already read twice. You'll have to ignore some typos and I even caught a scene when the wrong character's name was used, but aside from that, it was interesting and I am a sucker for haunted house stories that are half-way decent.

The dreams the house gave
Matt Garcia
This book kind of reminded me of house on haunted hill. Which is an excellent movie in my opinion. The creepy dark huge house and all. Simon Clark is a good writer. He's descriptive without being verbose and he's able to help you paint a mental picture of what he's describing to you. However I do wish he would extend his vernacular a bit. The word flippant and all of its variations is used entirely too much for example.
The setting is great. The Tower would be scary as well to stay in for one ni
Sascha
Jun 10, 2015 Sascha rated it liked it
Even though I've rated this three stars, I don't think it's of the same calibre as other 3 star books.

A few things. This was in dire need of a good editor; there was repetition in the narrative of significant details, mispelled names, mixing Fabian and Fisher up a lot. (view spoiler)
H3yd00
Jan 14, 2008 H3yd00 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006
I really enjoyed Blood Crazy, but all of his books after that are hit or miss with me. This was a fun read, but not his best. Parts of it were a bit farfetched, even for a "supernatural" horror.
Becca
Oct 09, 2009 Becca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
meh. like a crappy amityville, jason mash up.
Kelly
I have a headache the size of Texas and it has Simon Clark’s name written all over it. I’m not sure how many of you know this, but I am a forgiving woman. It’s true. I give each and every author four attempts to win me over. That’s right, four tries to grab me, keep my attention, and scare the living hell out of me. If, after four shots, they still haven’t managed to persuade me to enter their world, it’s over between us. For both my sanity and the author’s sales, I end the relationship. Mr. Cla ...more
Rosann
Oct 08, 2016 Rosann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOL.. really good!
There is no escape from this house, even if you safely walk or run out the door.
William M.
Jun 28, 2011 William M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The Tower proves once again that Simon Clark is one of the top 10 horror writers working today. I've read a ton of haunted house type books, and thought I've seen it all. However, Clark's originality has added even more layers to the genre. There were two specific ideas in this book that I had never read before in horror that really impressed me (a horror twist involving an echo and reflections in a window). The story was so fast paced I finished this book in 3 days. Clark's writing is superb an ...more
Cassandra
Nick
Aug 25, 2012 Nick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I figured I'd give this book a try because of the Bentley Little blurb on the cover, but what's that saying about covers and books and not judging?

This is not to say I disliked the story, but it just didn't do it for me. The Tower of the title is indeed a spooky old house and I think that Clark created an interesting history and environment for the characters to exist in, but I had a hard time investing with said characters.

I don't know why, I mean I love music, but I generally dislike stories
Adam Wilson
May 13, 2011 Adam Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Tower is my favorite Simon Clark novel by far. Well, that’s not really the best way to put it. It is the only Simon Clark novel I even like but I like it quite a lot. Maybe I’m a bit biased because the main characters are members in a rock group and I can relate to them, but it has a different feel than the other Clark books I’ve read. It is, quite simply, yet another house story. All right, haunted tower story. The band become its house-sitters, and plan on using it to get some new material ...more
Jan
Apr 12, 2010 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A newly formed band agrees to housesit a remote Yorkshire house while getting their music together for a recording session. It does not take long before the musicians start having nightmares in which they die. The dreams are so real that they awake surprised to still be alive. Slowly, they realize that it is only a matter of time before the dreams become real. Now the task is to escape a house that really, really wants them to stay.

I liked this book. It was scary but not too graphic. I think the
Lacey Graham
The story keeps you on your toes, however there were a few things that kept me from rating this 5 stars. It is a "creepy" haunted house kind of story that reminded me of the film "The Haunting" with Liam Neeson. There is strong language and sex, and I'm not a fan of reading stories that have that kind of content. There were also phrases and words that were repeated too often, so much so that I wanted to find a Thesaurus. I felt that the ending was lacking, and there were many questions that had ...more
Tammy
May 29, 2012 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, kept moving forward, fast! That's what I like in a book, when the story starts to bog down with too much fill in that doesn't move the story forward it looses me.

Fisher was a great lead character, strong, but not bullying.

Fabian was a pain in the butt!!! But then, someone has to be that character...right!?! lol!! But he turned out alright in the end.

I have never read a Simon Clark story before, and will now be reading more of his work.
James
Sep 28, 2009 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this is an ultimately unsatisfying haunted-house story, in no small part because it never feels like it has a climax, nor can it seem to decide what it wants to be. it alternates back and forth between wanting to be a haunted house story and wanting to be a "man-with-a-knife" murderer story, but the house is never haunted enough and the knife is never sharp enough.
Jenna Allen
Well this wasn't the best book but it kept me entertained. In some points the descriptions made me wince. I couldn't wait to read the end for two reasons, one because i wanted to know what happened and two because it was icky and I wanted it to be over. There are some questions it didnt answer but that didnt completely ruin the book. Over all I enjoyed the read but I wouldnt read it again.
Sherie
Feb 09, 2011 Sherie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Very dark and creepy. Definitely left me with a rather uneasy feeling while reading it.

My only gripe with it is that I felt there could have been a bit more back story on the house. Otherwise, it was a great read. Definitely keen to see more by this author.
Stuart
Jun 27, 2013 Stuart rated it it was ok
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Jen
May 28, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty good. It was well written and had an interesting story line. The second I have read by Clark, and I look forward to reading more of his books.
Mandy Dowson
Dec 27, 2014 Mandy Dowson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What could be creepier than a creepy old house, I hear you ask.
A creepy old SENTIENT house. Enough said!
Jamie Eastman
Really hard time getting into it

I really wanted to like it, I tried, but I found myself skipping here and there to get through it.
Sheri White
Started out somewhat slow, but picked up a few chapters in. An atmospheric haunted house story, but it had enough twists and plots to keep it from becoming run-of-the-mill.
Stuart
Jun 18, 2016 Stuart marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
June Guymon
An effortlessly readable dose of eerie thrills, but noy the best in this genre that i've ever read.
Dacia
Feb 01, 2015 Dacia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book, just a LOT of mistakes in spelling and words missing for a published book (a big pet peeve of mine, unfortunately).
Joselyn  Moreno Burke
It wasn't really what i though of it, i got bored a little while after beggining, maybe it was just the story was slow but it doesn't really was appeling to me.
Meghan Hoffman
I didn't care for this story. It read like a bad horror movie. We've got plenty of those, no need for more.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Deep in the Darkness
  • Queen of Blood (House of Blood, #2)
  • The Abandoned (Harrow House Series #4)
  • A Lower Deep
  • Pandora Drive
  • The Backwoods
  • The Immaculate
  • Bestial
  • The Haunting
  • The Manor
  • Black Cathedral (Department 18, #1)
  • A House Divided
  • House of Dead Trees
  • Ghost Walk
  • Crimson
  • Primitive
  • The Reach
Born, 20th April, 1958, Simon Clark is the author of such highly regarded horror novels as Nailed By The Heart, Blood Crazy, Darker, Vampyrrhic and The Fall, while his short stories have been collected in Blood & Grit and Salt Snake & Other Bloody Cuts. He has also written prose material for the internationally famous rock band U2.

Raised in a family of storytellers – family legend told of
More about Simon Clark...