Start by marking “The Miracle of Fasting: Proven Throughout History for Physical, Mental and Spiritual Rejuvenation” as Want to Read:

Proven throughout history for physical, mental and spiritual rejuvenation, fasting promotes cleansing and healing; helps normalize weight, blood pressure, cholesterol; rebuilds the immune system; and helps reverse the aging process.
Published October 1st 1998 by Bragg Live Foods (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Miracle of Fasting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Miracle of Fasting

K.D. Absolutely
Apr 08, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Tata J
Recommended to K.D. by: Tatay Sim, who is dreaming to be a centenarian
Shelves: health
My father in law who is 93 y/o lent to me this book early this month. He said that this might be the reason why he is still alive. My wife says that he, even before, has really been practicing fasting and her mother sometimes complains and gets worried about my father-in-law not eating anything for the whole week. The fasting is not for religious reason (Good Friday or Ash Wednesday) because he is not really as religious as the ladies in the family and at his age he is already exempted anyway.

Fa
Patricia
Feb 10, 2011 Patricia rated it it was amazing
My father and I wrote this book and it has helped many learn more about fasting and living a healthy Lifestyle.

From the book:
Our bodies have a natural self-cleansing for maintaining a clean, healthy body and our "river of life" – our blood. It’s essential we keep our entire bodily machinery from head to toes healthy and in good working order so nothing breaks down!
Fasting is the best detoxifying method. It's also the most effective and safest way to increase elimination of waste buildups and enh
Tony Jr.
Jan 13, 2015 Tony Jr. rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
An overly long, poorly organized, rambling book with an important and potentially life changing message: the habit of periodic fasting combined with eating a healthy diet is indispensable to living a vibrant, joyful and disease-free life.

The author recommends 24-36hr distilled water fasts every week and longer fasts such as 7-10 days every three months or so. The author also recommends eating a diet comprised primarily of organic fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts and seeds to help keep the body cl
Kelton Baker
Even though this book is peppered with hokey and downright dangerous health advice, there is a surprising number of health practices that Paul Bragg crusaded about in his time that science has only recently started to confirm as beneficial, namely the health benefits of fasting, water-fasting, to be more specific. Not his 10 to 40 day fasts, of course; but even just the idea that eating is something that should be done in response to need, not a pre-emptive exercise, as health officials have bee ...more
Sergey Basalyga
Aug 08, 2015 Sergey Basalyga rated it liked it
Having read Paul Braggs most notable work, Id like to make some points.

1. Beware of fallible assertions. The book is full of emotional exaggerations and statements which are not underpinned by facts or any clinical researches. I had a chance to read this book translated into Russian with scientific comments of a very respectable Russian physician. Only due to that the phenomenon of fasting and its healing power made perfect sense to me.

2. Paul Bragg stands as a teacher rather than a doctor. He g
Huma Rashid
Dec 27, 2011 Huma Rashid rated it it was ok
Hokey medical advice books are my guilty pleasure. Here are some random thoughts.

1. He's wrong about honey. Honey is incredibly useful and has many, many healing properties. Anyone that believes otherwise is delusional.

2. I love when people writing books have a commercial interest in what they're writing about.

3. I will not be following the fasting advice in this book. (I will continue fasting as I have, as a Muslim, since I was about 8, which means taking a small pre-dawn meal and a small sunse
Bistra Ivanova
Sep 23, 2011 Bistra Ivanova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, food, health
Отново голямо вдъхновение! Много светлина ми донесе!

Досега бях чела само ЗА Пол Брег, а нищо ОТ Пол Брег и трябва да кажа, че съм приятно изненадана. Въобще не е толкова краен, колкото го изкарват - съвсем естествен му е подходът. Вслушване в тялото, това е всичко. Но за да се стигне до този момент, умът трябва да го подчини.

Като оставим настрана историческите данни за гладуване в миналото (Питагор и другите умници), описаните случаи в собствената му практика, теорията и разсъжденията, най-кра
TarasProkopyuk
Данная книга автора довольно противоречивая и имеет как и сторонников так и противников.

Можно верить разоблачительным статьям о множестве вымышленных историях его жизни, а можно также сделать допущение, что автор в силу своих способностей как шоу-мена придумал данные легенды дабы усилить эффект своей популярности, своих книг и курсов, семинаров и прочее, но при этом не являлся аферистом, как его пытаются представить некоторые.

Также следует заметить, что современные врачи и диетологи не так уж и
Matt Neputin
Chas Bayfield
Nov 02, 2015 Chas Bayfield rated it it was ok
This is quite the most incredible book I have ever read. I deliberately did not google Bragg or his 'daughter' until I'd read it cover to cover and yes, this is the only book I have ever read where the inside front and back covers are as full of content as the other pages. 'The Miracle of Fasting' reads like the transcript of a TV advertorial. It shouts. It sells. Barely a page goes by when we are not regaled with the wonders of Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar, or Bragg Amino Acids. Bragg himself is a ...more
Michael
Aug 06, 2010 Michael rated it liked it
I read this book for the first time about 20 years ago and it made an unforgettable impression on me back then. I might even say that I would be a different person now if I had not read it back then. The main message in this edition is still the same and that is why I give it three stars. In my opinion, it would be better to keep the main idea and points about fasting and get rid of everything else. Unfortunately, this edition is full of references to irrelevant and questionable sources and cita ...more
Mareks
Feb 27, 2016 Mareks rated it really liked it
Lai arī grāmata sarakstīta ļoti saraustīti un tēma nemitīgi atkārtojas, vadmotīvs par badošanos, kā ilgmūžības nosacījumu ir aptamborēts gānot nedzīvo, industrializēto pārtiku un amerikāņu galveno sporta veidu - ēšanu. Jocīgi bija lasīt to visu kritiku par industrializēto pārtiku, zinot, ka Bregs dzīvoja laikā no 1895-1976. Ko teikt mums, tagad... 40 gadus vēlāk.

Lai arī gavēšana jeb badošanās ir tikpat sena kā pasaule, visa pamatā ir Brega personīgā pieredze visas dzīves garumā. Lūk, divi ievērī
Jackie Orent
Feb 12, 2017 Jackie Orent rated it really liked it
Good information but redundant.
Poppy
Apr 14, 2015 Poppy added it
I think this is by far the worst book I've ever read. This book begins with page after page ad nauseum of reviews written by the rich and famous—supposedly. The book is filled to the brim with constant promotion of the author's products. The author repeats the same information over and over, chapter after chapter. I am suspicious of the accuracy and origin of many of the quotes throughout the book heaping accolades upon the author. I finally stopped reading after I double-checked a quote from th ...more
Andrea Marley
Jun 20, 2013 Andrea Marley rated it it was amazing
If Michael Mosley's 'The Fast Diet' is the good cop, this book is the BAD. Patricia Bragg, of Bragg's Amino Acids, gives the reader a passionate wake up call. Although this book can come off kitschy and campy with prayers and pamphlets dotting the text, the message is sincere. She is begging you to please stop 'doping' your body with dead flesh, dirty water and toxic poisons. She believes it is truly criminal.

I love this book, as I start my 5:2 fast today, its a perfect read to get me all jazzed
Ellen
Jun 04, 2008 Ellen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is rather old-fashioned in its presentation and a bit creepy. Patricia Bragg wrote it with her father's, Paul Bragg's, voice. Hmmm. Wonder why he didn't write it himself? Could it be that he is DEAD? He may not be. I don't know (and don't really care). No real info on the authors is available on the cover or inside pages of the book.

The instruction is over the top in many places, but they do make some good suggestions about fasting. When they wander off the fasting focus, they get a bi
Sebas JP
Mar 22, 2016 Sebas JP rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Read this book to get perspective on fasting. Some good tips in a very wordy book which is very poorly written. His nutritional advice contains lots of information that is old and inaccurate (and in my mind discarded). However, the principle of fasting and its benefits are interesting. Sadly, he does not get into any of the specific physiological changes, no mention on blood work, ketones, or anything else that might be measurable. His perspective as a practitioner is purely observati ...more
Julio Alvarado
Jan 13, 2015 Julio Alvarado rated it it was amazing
I gave this book 5 stars because of its numerous perspectives on fasting and its continual stressing of making fasting a lifestyle. Many oother reviewers gave it a low rating because of the style that the book was written but my focus was on the quality of the content of the subject matter, which I found very good compared to other books the I have read on the topic of fasting. I highly recommend this book if you are looking to improve your overall life mentally, physically and spiritually.
Michinio Camorelli
პირველი წიგნი იყო, რომელშიც რაღაც განსხვავებული ეწერა დიეტაზე, თანაც საინტერესოდ განსხვავებული. ადრე წავიკითხე და ნამდვილად არ დამიწყია შიმშილობა და მერეც, როცა ვშიმშილობდი, არა ამ წიგნის მიხედვით და არა ასე ინტენსიურად. მაგრამ შთაბეჭდილება ნამდვილად მოახდინა და სიჯანსაღეც აშკარად მოდის ამ წიგნისგან.

მოკლედ, კარგის და მადლობის მეტი არაფერი მეთქმის :)
Kathleen
An old fashion way, but well test. This was sold in the health food store. Good information about how the fasting can cleanse the body. A good example about this can defy the captialism and their practices. An eye opener. A bit of repetition..it's like typing the messages from the recorded lectures.
Lanny
May 29, 2008 Lanny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Health Contious People
In the beginning of the book the author over-states and over-sells the importance of fasting, but if you can get past that then there are some valuable nuggets of information that can help bring health and vitality to a persons life. I'm about 1/3 of the way through the book and plan to start fasting soon. I'll let you know how it goes...
Aylin Youlin
Apr 02, 2014 Aylin Youlin rated it liked it
Общо взето ми допадат принципите на Брег.Има доста истини за здравословния начина на живот,с които съм съгласна.Причините да и дам три звезди е,че не ми харесва разтягането на локум.Да повтаряш с различни думи и по различни начини все едно и също е изключително досадно.
Una Rose
Apr 25, 2015 Una Rose rated it really liked it
Fun to read and filled with inspiring quotes and sane, helpful advice. Paul Bragg was an early founder in the North American health movement and he really does a great job of selling it. A must for anyone who is serious about leading a healthy lifestyle.
Debra
Sep 02, 2009 Debra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Liked the ideas...a lot of true principles. Some extreme notions. Book is written in a way that detracts from the message. It looks low-budget and like it was just pasted together. Not much research to support a lot of the assertions.
Miss O
May 01, 2016 Miss O rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book.and was further confirmation on my beliefs towards fasting, I'm excited to now incorporate fasting into my lifestyle.

Great book and was further confirmation on my beliefs towards fasting, I'm excited to now incorporate fasting into my lifestyle.
D'Arcy
Aug 15, 2008 D'Arcy rated it liked it
While some of this is just space filling repeats from other sources, or quick ways to plug their other books, I did enjoy the ideas behind this, especially growing up in a religion that commanded a monthly fast. I don't know about once a week, but once a month sounds just right.
Matt
Jan 09, 2010 Matt rated it really liked it
definitely my favorite Bragg book. every page chock full of information.
Belinda
Excellent book on the benefits of fasting.
Enkhuulee4512
Jan 23, 2017 Enkhuulee4512 rated it really liked it
This book is written many years ago yet became basic of modern human dirt like macrobiotic. Cannot wait to start my journey.
Osama Al aghbar
Jan 03, 2017 Osama Al aghbar rated it liked it
good book
Paul Bragg describing the importance of fasting as a detoxification agent for our bodies, and gives a lot of stories about himself during his practice of fasting therapy.
  • Maximum Muscle, Minimum Fat: The Secret Science Behind Physical Transformation
  • Farms with a Future: Creating and Growing a Sustainable Farm Business
  • I Can Make You Sleep: Overcome Insomnia Forever and Get the Best Rest of Your Life!
  • Juice Fasting and Detoxification: Use the Healing Power of Fresh Juice to Feel Young and Look Great
  • A Kitchen in France: A Year of Cooking in My Farmhouse
  • Toxic Relief: Restore health and energy through fasting and detoxification
  • Clean Gut: The Breakthrough Plan for Eliminating the Root Cause of Disease and Revolutionizing Your Health
  • The Wheatgrass Book: How to Grow and Use Wheatgrass to Maximize Your Health and Vitality
  • How to Eat, Move, and Be Healthy!: Your Personalized 4-Step Guide to Looking and Feeling Great from the Inside Out
  • Amazing Grace: The Nine Principles of Living in Natural Magic
  • The Gerson Therapy: The Proven Nutritional Program for Cancer and Other Illnesses
  • Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism
  • Primal Connection: Follow Your Genetic Blueprint to Health & Happiness (Sustainable Agriculture)
  • Reality Transurfing 1: The Space of Variations
  • Man Eating Bugs: The Art and Science of Eating Insects
  • God's Chosen Fast
  • Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet
  • Fasting and Eating for Health: A Medical Doctor's Program for Conquering Disease
Paul Chappius Bragg - nutritionist, was a pioneer in America’s wellness movement.
More about Paul Bragg...

“With our natural intelligence – super health, happiness and longevity should be the rule instead of the exception.” 2 likes
“Fasting clears away the thousand little things which quickly accumulate and clutter the body, mind and heart. It cuts through corrosion and renews our contract with God and Mother Earth.” 2 likes