Start by marking “Mummy” as Want to Read:
Mummy

Mummy

Emlyn is a model student and a great athlete -- a girl who doesn't seem to have a dark side. But secretly she's always wondered what it would be like to commit a crime and get away with it. When she gets involved in a prank to steal a mummy, everything goes according to plan. Until Emlyn is forced to save the mummy -- and herself.
Published June 1st 2000 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Mummy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mummy

Unwind by Neal ShustermanA Living Nightmare by Darren ShanSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyBlood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis KlauseMarked by P.C. Cast
DCPL's Teen Horror Booklist
22nd out of 79 books — 68 voters
Some Words With a Mummy by Edgar Allan PoeWriter of the Purple Rage by Joe R. LansdaleThe Mummy by Anne RiceBubba Ho-Tep by Joe R. LansdaleThe Jewel of Seven Stars by Bram Stoker
Mummies
20th out of 24 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Lexy S.C.
Apr 24, 2016 Lexy S.C. rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
Mummy was very suspenseful, and kept me on the edge of my seat! I am a huge fan of suspense, and Caroline B Cooney is a master at it. Emlyn, being a "bad" character, made the plot even suspensefuller! (Is that even a word?)
Anyway, I loved this! (view spoiler)
Ashley
Aug 05, 2009 Ashley rated it really liked it
Have you ever wanted to do something big and bad, just because you wanted to see if or prove to yourself that you could get away with it? I'm not going to lie- that's what drew my attention to this book. I have always had a morbid facination with true crime, and how the bad guys get away. Me and my overactive childhood imagination used to plan how I could commit the perfect crime, and never get caught.
That's exactly what this girl plans to do! I thought it was great when I noticed it. I don't r
Lisa
Feb 20, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Mummy is about a high school girl named Emlyn with an inner bad side who finally has a chance to do something transgressive when a group of popular kids recruit her to steal a museum mummy for the senior class prank. There were some things I adored about this story, and some things that held me back a bit in my enjoyment. I think the book's biggest problem was that it didn't read as though it had been published in 2000, but rather in 1978 or so. The dialogue did not sound authentic to teenagers, ...more
April
Nov 14, 2015 April rated it liked it
Shelves: mediocre-fiction
I enjoyed the book up until the final sentence. I was hoping after reading her entire adventure that she would have learned her lesson, but the final sentence proved that she didn't. I was ultimately disappointed that Caroline Cooney ended it the way she did. For lots of talk of mummy integrity she neglected to include character morality.
Donna
Jul 15, 2015 Donna rated it it was ok
I’m a sucker for anything to do with ancient Egypt so no surprise the title and cover alone sucked me into MUMMY but the story ended up being rather . . . dull.

Emlyn (whose name kept flopping over to Emilyn) has a bad streak and she wanted to do something bad and get away with it. Stealing the mummy for their senior prank was it but she had to end up looping other students in with her, students whom she couldn’t trust since she didn’t know them all that well. That blind trust ended up backfiring
Jeane
Mar 10, 2012 Jeane rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-teen
I think I disliked this book because it wasn't what I was expecting. It was really a cozy-heist novel. As in it was about a heist, but the main character (and all the characters pretty much) were such goodie-goods that it felt like I was reading a cozy mystery. There was no mystery in this book, so I don't want to confuse anyone with thinking this is a mystery. I thought is was going to be a horror or at least a thriller. No such luck. All in all the main character was incredibly boring, as were ...more
Jean
Nov 03, 2010 Jean rated it really liked it
I remember standing in line for my high school commencement and thinking with more than a little regret, I never skipped class--I was never even tardy! Because I always followed the rules, I thought I had missed something somehow by being a "good" girl. Cooney explores this very concept in this novel. I found it thought provoking and suspensful despite the fact that it was also far-fetched.
My favorite quotes:
"Emlyn had thought she would rejoice, would hug herself with the delight of her Bad, the
121courtney
This year I read the book Mummy. I thought that the book was very interesting overall. At the begginning of the book, the story went kind of slow with explaining the timing snd place where events would take place. If you like to read mystery books the mummy is a book for you to read. Mummy is about a small group of kids from a senior class that are trying to pull the senior class prank. Five kids are debating on what prank to pull and they go to one certain girl, who is very intelligent yet shy, ...more
Chelsea Inthavong
Jul 22, 2016 Chelsea Inthavong rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It was very suspenseful and Cooney puts you into the mind of a young thief and the motives of white collar crimes.
Marie
Dec 13, 2015 Marie rated it did not like it
Shelves: nope
You'd think a book about a teenage girl planning a heist to steal an Egyptian mummy would hold my interest for more than 25 pages, and yet...
Dayna Smith
Feb 09, 2014 Dayna Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Emlyn has always wanted to be "bad". Now she has her chance! Her classmates plan to steal the mummy of ancient Egyptian princess from the local museum for Mischief Night. They ask for Emlyn's help because she is intelligent and daring. She plans it out carefully, manages to pull off the robbery, and then everything falls apart. When her friends decide to cut open the mummy to steal the gold jewelry inside, Emlyn knows she must save Amaral-Re from such a fate. Can she do this without getting arre ...more
Jim
May 11, 2014 Jim rated it did not like it
Dumbest book I have ever read, and that's saying something of all the books I've read. I don't recommend it unless you want a headache.
Helen
Jun 16, 2011 Helen rated it it was ok
Again, I read this one due to it's UG interest level by AR. This one was about a girl planning the perfect crime (stealing a mummy for a school prank). Her friends turn on her and she finds herself in big trouble, but again nothing really inappropriate. I found a lot of the logic kind of strange as she convinced herself to do it. Usually I enjoy Cooney's books, but this was a disappointment.
Pam
Jan 16, 2013 Pam rated it really liked it
This book is about a good girl who wants to do something bad. She is asked by some of her classmates to steal the town museum's only mummy for a prank. Should she do it? Will she? What happens next? And will she be changed forever by her stealing? Cliffhanger ending.
April
Apr 03, 2011 April rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2011
Eh.

I liked the ethical discussion of whether a mummy should be unwrapped in order to gain knowledge and/or treasure or if it should remain untouched because IT'S STILL A HUMAN UNDER THERE.*

Otherwise: eh.

*I might have strong feelings about this.
Robin
Jun 20, 2010 Robin rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I remember being disappointed in this book when I read it. But perhaps that's because I, too, was a goody-goody and maybe I wanted to live through the characters who do bad things and get away with it... and instead they were all goody-goody, too.
Ray
Feb 23, 2012 Ray rated it it was ok
Shelves: borrowed
Easy read, although definately written for a younger crowd. Good story, and a lesson as well. Would have enjoyed back when I was in jr. high school.
Nyla
Mar 31, 2013 Nyla rated it really liked it
i could totally relate to her!!!! i have a goody goody image and no one knows what i think. it was a great mysterious crime and i loved the ending!!
isabelb
Dec 02, 2007 isabelb rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: to little kids
this book is really good
this girl emlyn she is a a plus student and no
one supects she would do anything bad or will she
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rachel
Jan 18, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok
A quick read. Kind of juvenile. Unrealistic, characters were hardly developed, but I liked all the talk of the integrity of the mummy.
Julie
Sep 18, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I always enjoy Cooney's stories. The detail in plot and how the teens behave always interests me.
Eva
Sep 12, 2014 Eva rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2012
wow read this years ago as a teenager and really didn't remember a thing!
Victoria
Apr 11, 2009 Victoria rated it really liked it
It was okay, but a little boring in the beginning. The ending was pretty good.
Rachel
Sep 16, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
I read this several years ago and remember that it was okay.
Sallyrider11
Sallyrider11 marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Michael Kutan
Michael Kutan marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Talayja
Talayja marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was ok
Sep 09, 2016
  • Heart of the Mummy (Scream Street, #3)
  • The Mummy Returns
  • A Cat in Wolf's Clothing (Alice Nestleton Mystery #3)
  • The Blue Hawk
  • No More Magic
  • Anne of the Island and Tales of Avonlea
  • Enchantress (Sisters of Isis, #3)
  • Lord of the Fantastic: Stories in Honor of Roger Zelazny
  • Night Life
  • Going for Gold (Angels Unlimited, #10)
  • Orphan Of The Sun
  • Scarabian Nights (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #24)
  • Dark Cities Underground
  • Name of the Beast
  • Shadow of the Sheikh (Immortal Sheikhs #2)
  • The Mummy Case (Hardy Boys, #63)
  • No Child's Game: Reality TV 2083
  • The Mummy
Caroline Cooney knew in sixth grade that she wanted to be a writer when "the best teacher I ever had in my life" made writing her main focus. "He used to rip off covers from The New Yorker and pass them around and make us write a short story on whichever cover we got. I started writing then and never stopped!"
When her children were young, Caroline started writing books for young people -- with rem
More about Caroline B. Cooney...