Start by marking “The Mummy Market” as Want to Read:
The Mummy Market

The Mummy Market

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Elizabeth, Jenny and Harry Martin live with an unsympathetic housekeeper, Mrs. Hinchley, known as The Gloom. Depressed, the children visit their neighbor, Mrs. Cavour, to ask for advice and learn about the Mummy Market, a place where children can find new mothers.

The children quickly find out it is harder to find a mother than they realized. Their first selection, Mimsy,
Published 1966 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Mummy Market, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mummy Market

Lisa Vegan
If I’d read this book when I was eight or nine years old, I’m sure it would have been a favorite of mine.

Reading it as an adult, I found it charming, delightful, and fun to read. I liked the three kids and their neighbor woman friend. I really enjoyed this book, and appreciated the fact that I did not guess how it would end.

The premise is creative and original. I found the end slightly weak but it would have satisfied me had I read it as a child, and this is a children’s book.

I’m sad to see it
CLM
Jul 25, 2009 CLM rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Iris
Recommended to CLM by: John Ward School library
This is a wonderful book about three children who are searching for the perfect mother. I was reading it the day Man walked on the moon - I remember being so engrossed that I was annoyed when my teacher begged me to watch TV!
Shannon Kirk
I read this as a 10 year old girl. Found in the Raymond, NH library. This book has stuck with me all this time. My very favorite book of childhood, possibly my adulthood. I tried to find it 2 years ago and discovered the horror that it is out of print. How could a lovely classic be out of print? Is not Dickens' work still printed? Please, someone, re-release this work. I found the sole affordable copy on EBay, a tattered paperback that even in my careful possession is falling apart. I read to my ...more
Monty Cupcake
Cute concept.
Kerith
I haven't read this since I was a kid, but I remember checking it out of the library many times. It is out of print and hard to find now, so I was excited to discover it at the library and read it again as an adult (and a Mummy). A totally new experience, and as an adoptive mom I found a whole new level to this story of three children searching for their very own mother. Very moving. I wish it weren't so hard to find.
Gloria
I had thought I dreamed up this book; so I am so glad to find that it really did exist, and that I could have, and in fact, did read it in my childhood. A wonderful book that I remember reading when I was in elementary school, no doubt when I was mad at my own mother and longed to be able to get a new one. Too bad this book is no longer in print.

Monica
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I wish I had a copy of it, especially because it's no longer in print and buying a used copy will run you upwards of $60 these days. I would love to have a copy again, though.
Chloe
I really enjoyed this book as a kid. I would love to find a copy to read to my kids or for it to come out as an ebook.
Relyn
Oct 04, 2014 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nostalgic readers
Recommended to Relyn by: Simone, a blogging friend
I was visiting my friend's blog and she had posted about favorite books from her childhood. This one was mentioned so, of course, I had to seek it out. It was fun and funny and had an odd twist. I'm glad I read it, but I doubt I would buy it. Still, if you have the chance and are older than 40, you should read it. It will feel like other (non-classic) books that you read when you were a kid.
Callie Rose Tyler
This is a sweet and simple story. When I was younger I was in love with a movie entitled “Trading Mom”, little did I know it was based on a book, this is that book. The movie was hilarious and a little scary at times while the book stayed very matter-of-fact which was a bit strange to me. For example, the children do not find it odd that they have to mother nor any memory of a mother, okay I will accept that since they are under an enchantment, but what about the other children in the neighborho ...more
peggy murphy mercado
I remember loving this book as a child. I am going to buy it for my daughter...
Jeannie
I read this when I was a child and remember it to this day as a very enjoyable book. Having just found the title again I hope to share it with my son in the near future, if I can just get my hands on a copy (it is sadly out of print).
Elizabeth Maddrey
This was a constant childhood favorite that I got for Christmas (it's sadly out of print) - so nice to have it for my very own.
Austen to Zafón
Feb 20, 2015 Austen to Zafón marked it as to-read
Shelves: logan-later
WHY: Elizabeth, Jenny and Harry Martin live with an unsympathetic housekeeper, Mrs. Hinchley, known as The Gloom. Depressed, the children visit their neighbor to ask for advice and learn about the Mummy Market, a place where children can find new mothers. But they quickly learn how hard it is to find the perfect mother.
Billie
Read to our class in 6th grade but stuck with me enough that I read it to my children. Simple fun.
Carol Fox
Carol Fox is currently reading it
May 22, 2015
Kawther
Kawther is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2015
Amanda Darby
Amanda Darby marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Zoeeloise
Zoeeloise marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Victoria Zigler
Victoria Zigler marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Sujata Bhatia
Sujata Bhatia marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Megan Cantrell
Megan Cantrell marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Chanel Prinz
Chanel Prinz marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Jennifer Schaffner
Jennifer Schaffner marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Michelle Kidder
Michelle Kidder marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
the mother market [ formerly the mummy market]