Blank-133x176
Something Under the Be...

Bill Watterson

Something Under the Bed Is Drooling: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection (Calvin and Hobbes #2)

4.68 of 5 stars 4.68  ·  rating details  ·  7,863 ratings  ·  142 reviews
Collection of the syndicated cartoon panel "Calvin and Hobbes."
Published (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Something Under the Bed Is Drooling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Under the Bed Is Drooling

Shayantani Das
description

Screw Harry Potters and Katniss Everdens, Calvin is my hero with his eternal quest of abolishing healthy food, swimming lessons, and freezing his face in his queer expression.

GO CAPTAIN SPIFF!
Prashant
What a companion I have found! This is the most intoxicating, relaxing, nauseating, rejuvenating, nostalgic and inspiring stuff one could ever read.

What did I get this time? Here's a sample

This explains it all!
Arun Divakar
I've got plenty of common sense...I just choose to ignore it !!!
Mark
The second collection (from 1988), this still has a few rough edges (Calvin’s a bit more sarky than usual, the design of Hobbes settles over the course of the collection) but plenty to recommend. From the transmogrifier transforming Calvin into a little tiger to the introduction - following a botched haircut by Hobbes that makes Calvin bald - of Tracer Bullet (“I’ve got eight slugs in me. One’s lead, the rest are bourbon”), from more school fun and more interplay with Susie, this rockets along....more
Shanrox
Jan 31, 2011 Shanrox rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comic book lovers!!! 0_o
Recommended to Shanrox by: my brother
i don't usually read comic books. it was my brother actually that showed it to me so i read it and i thought it was hilarious. Basically, it was just different strips and cut-outs of Calvin and Hobbes' lives. this is me:
hmmm..........okay what's the point? ..........really!..........HAHAHAHA!!!........that is SO true......lol......OMG that is so mean!!!.....aww, it's finished already??? ^_^
hey, it's, one of my first comic books, okay? it wasn't my favorite, so sue me, but at least i gave it thr...more
Shiloh
I read this in one day. I loved it and laugh a bit. I ended up scaring my cat, when I did. It was a nice change to what I had been reading. It was light hearted and funny. I don't think anyone can have a problem with reading a bit of Calvin and Hobbes.

It was surprisingly inspiring and motivating for me.

I should make it a habit of reading at least one comic book type of book a month, to remember why I love to read in the first place. Comic books were my first love.

And you never forget your first...more
Exina
Love it! Especially the longer stories and the pics without text. This is my favorite:

Danielle
I'm not a comic book person. I've always strive to be one but end up failing miserably. The only comic book I have read cover to cover is a book called Coffee with Jesus which I reviewed not long ago. Shortly after I began reading that book of comics, I found a Calvin and Hobbes book at a thrift store. It looked like a brand new copy so I bought it for two dollars! What a steal! My intention when buying the book was to set it aside as a gift for my little cousin... but not before reading it myse...more
Scribble Orca
Oct 22, 2010 Scribble Orca rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Scribble by: anyone who needs a laugh
Side-splittingly funny.
Mary Catelli
Calvin and Hobbes, collection 2. Starting with Calvin checking for monsters under the bed by talking about having put on ten pounds and become nice and plump. . .

It has a lot of strips about snowballs and sledding and other snow stuff, though Calvin's snowman attempts are merely large -- and Hobbes revolts at the notion of turning an enormous snowball into a mere toe for the eventual creature. Rosalyn is a known menace now. Hobbes has his adventures with the washing machine, the place where Calv...more
Erika Schoeps
This comics collection is a great group of the Calvin and Hobbes comics. I probably would have enjoyed it more, but I've read it so many times that I saw every punchline from a mile away. The humor is hit and miss, (Watterson resorts to some cliches and the 'aw shucks, isn't that cute?' brand of humor that grandmas seem to really enjoy) but Calvin and Hobbes always redeems itself with its themes of nostalgia and imagination. For me, simply watching Calvin and Hobbes go on adventures and being a...more
Hoobins
These comics are the most intoxicing and powerful comics that I've ever foind, Calvin and Hobbes are the best friends that I've ever read, the realistic relation between all the caracters and toughts, are a good reflexion to even nowsdays
Brett Hollinger
Calvin and Hobbes caught my attention as a small child, and even though I didn’t always get all of the more adult jokes, I still enjoyed them. After a few years of reading, I appreciated more and more and even now, as an adult, I enjoy the creativity and joy Calvin finds in every situation of life.

After reading every book of Calvin and Hobbes, I would recommend them to anyone who wants to find the joys of a simple life and I look forward to sharing them with my own boys when they are a bit olde...more
Kimberly Plyler
Another relatable Calvin and Hobbes book about being scared of what's under the bed. Very cute and funny for children and adults.
Carrie
A gift from my sister and best friend when I was sixteen, and the first step of a wonderful journey. Today almost every Calvin and Hobbes comic book ever published sits on my bookshelf, and they have stood the test of time. They're still laugh-out-loud funny, even after multiple readings. My son is now enjoying them, and I have to say, until I had him, I would never have thought any 6-year-old boy could be as precocious as Calvin. I can see why he relates!

My favourite strips in this book appear...more
Crystal
Calvin and Hobbes have been a favorite for almost twenty years.
Paul
Why is it that whenever I'm feeling a little low, all I have to do is pull one of the Calvin & Hobbes books from the shelf and give it a good re-read to perk me up. I've many other "funny-books", but these are the ones that bring me most joy.
Then, a little after I am done, I start re-realizing that Watterson will probably never do any more, then I get sad again.
I'm very grateful for what I have... and I'll re-read them as many times as I need... I just wish there were more.
OK, now I'm feelin...more
Claire
The front cover is weird but the stories inside are funny.
Laurie
Another Calvin and Hobbes read with my 3 boys. LOVE.
Thousif Raza
Amazing as Always :) :D
Brett Hollinger

Imani
This book, is full of hilarous stories that follow a young boy Calvin and his stuff tiger Hobbles. Calvin's tiger Hobbes come to life through Calvin's imaginatione and they do mischives ethings. From plotting to soak suzie with wateer ballons, tojust hanging outside. Hobbes attacks Calvin and mames messes, when Calvin blames it on Hobbes, Calvin gets in trouble for lying. The things these boys do will have you cracking up. If you wanr a quick funny reasd, this is a book for you
Greg
Yet another among the books published by Bill Watterson from the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip that I have enjoyed. My children have literally worn out these collections of C&H comics, and with good reason. C&H is a unique blend of homespun philosophy, side-splitting humor, and insight into the human (child and adult) condition. Watterson's insights into, and sly digs at, various social, familial, and other institutions of modern life are masterful.
Josh
This was the first Calvin and Hobbes book I ever read. I used to sneak reading it while my parents were in prayer group. In that dark library the characters Bill Watterson created jumped off the page and resonated with my eight year old brain in a way I had never encountered before. I've reread it many times, and every time I come back to this book I find it teaches me a new lesson. This book made me into a life long reader.
The other John
This, the second Calvin and Hobbes collection, is funnier than it's predecessor. In it you have a few more extended "storylines", such as Calvin's first dramatic role as an onion, Susie's birthday party, and class pictures, the strips that brought tears to my eyes. (I always wanted to do something like that but never had the nerve....) It's great stuff. If you don't have a copy on your shelf, go out and buy one.
Andrej
"I've got plenty of common sense...I just choose to ignore it."
This is the first Calvin And Hobbes book I've read and it really surprised me, in positive way. This one is hilarious. Jokes are genius, not stupid and lame...well maybe there were 3-4 lame jokes, but in overall view it's great fun! I just love the way of how Calvin is looking at the world. Imagination sure is a wonderful gift. [A]
Joycetho1
I thought that this was a very good book. It is probobley the best comic book that I have ever read! Trust me, I have read a lot of comic books. Trust me, you would love Calvin and Hobbe's books. I am glad that Bill Waterson came up with such a good plot. I am a little scared of Calvin though. He has gone a little wild about the likelyhood that a monstor realy is under his bed.
Becky
I don’t know if a family, much less a childhood, without Calvin and Hobbes would be complete. Frankly, once it stopped being published, my newspaper readership dropped off significantly. Everyone needs to smile, needs a little imagination in their life, and needs a little bit of Calvin and Hobbes.

And if anyone is up for a game of Calvinball, just give me a call.
Melissa Lee-tammeus
I actually stole this from my son last night after he went to bed, made myself a bowl of ice cream and read this whole book. Over the years, I have read it many times and it never gets old. It was a joy, as always, to immerse myself in the world of Calvin and his ever present tiger. I really should read these more often, as they make my heart laugh.
Eyehavenofilter
I absolutely love Calvin and Hobbs. I feel like it is a peek into the life of every small child who is unique. I wish I could explain how this book came to my attention but, I would probably get sued. Let's just say that the person who found it, had something in common with the title, and leave it at that. Try to draw your own conclusions.
  • Hound of The Far Side
  • At Least This Place Sells T-Shirts:  A FoxTrot Collection
  • The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos: A Bloom County Book
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of...more
More about Bill Watterson...
Calvin and Hobbes The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book The Complete Calvin and Hobbes Calvin and Hobbes: It's a Magical World

“I'm not a vegetarian! I'm a dessertarian!” 137 likes
“Hobbes: What are you doing?
Calvin: Being "cool."
Hobbes: You look more like you're being bored.
Calvin: The world bores you when you're cool.
Hobbes: Look, I brought a sombrero! Now we can both be "cool."
Calvin: A sombrero?! Are you crazy?! Cool people don't wear sombreros!
Hobbes: What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?”
11 likes