Start by marking “Something Under the Bed Is Drooling: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Something Under the Be...
Bill Watterson

Something Under the Bed Is Drooling: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection (Calvin and Hobbes #2)

4.7  ·  Rating Details ·  10,483 Ratings  ·  190 Reviews
Calvin is a rambunctious six-year-old whose manic antics threaten world peace. Hobbes is his stuffed tiger who comes alive when adults aren't around. The saga of their daily exploits won cartoonist Bill Watterson the coveted Reuben Award for "Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year." Something Under the Bed Is Drooling is a jewel.
Published 1991 by Time Warner (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Something Under the Bed Is Drooling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Under the Bed Is Drooling

Shayantani Das

Screw Harry Potters and Katniss Everdens, Calvin is my hero with his eternal quest of abolishing healthy food, swimming lessons, and freezing his face in his queer expression.

Apr 21, 2016 Antonio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, comics
I feel like living a second childhood while reading Calvin's series!
There are so much joy, curiosity and innocence in these pages; a valuable light reading I'm keeping to rescue me of burdens of life. Besides that, I'm now watching my godchildren grow up, and there's so much of Calvin in every one of them - most of the time the "good part" of him -, which just shows us how wonderful is Bill Watterson work.
5 innocent stars to a second childhood we all deserve.
Apr 28, 2012 Prashant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
What a companion I have found! This is the most intoxicating, relaxing, nauseating, rejuvenating, nostalgic and inspiring stuff one could ever read.

What did I get this time? Here's a sample

This explains it all!
Nothing's better than some good ole Calvin and Hobbes to turn a shitty day sunny side up.
Sep 04, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Oh, you'd rather blow the evening cooking and washing dishes than spend a few bucks?

Comedy gold. Najsmesniji strip posle Garfilda>)
Arun Divakar
Oct 31, 2010 Arun Divakar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've got plenty of common sense...I just choose to ignore it !!!
Dec 09, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second collection (from 1988), this still has a few rough edges (Calvin’s a bit more sarky than usual, the design of Hobbes settles over the course of the collection) but plenty to recommend. From the transmogrifier transforming Calvin into a little tiger to the introduction - following a botched haircut by Hobbes that makes Calvin bald - of Tracer Bullet (“I’ve got eight slugs in me. One’s lead, the rest are bourbon”), from more school fun and more interplay with Susie, this rockets along. ...more
Joey Hines
Apr 27, 2016 Joey Hines rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Something Under the Bed Is Drooling contains some of Calvin's funniest moments, like when he is cast in a school play about nutrition:

...which doesn't help his relationship with Susie: well as the first appearance of the Transmogrifier:

But the best moment -- and a contender for my favorite moment in all of C&H -- is the story arc about the dying raccoon that Calvin finds in the woods:

What a stupid world indeed. And yet, "it's a magical world," as Calvin would later famously declare. The
Oct 17, 2013 Exina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it! Especially the longer stories and the pics without text. This is my favorite:

Oct 03, 2016 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Habe erst in diesem Jahr entdeckt, dass mir dieser Band in der vorschnell für komplett erachteten C&H-Sammlung fehlte. Wie erwartet großartig! manchmal möchte ich mit einer Zeitmaschine oder so irgendwo aufwachsen, wo man jeden Tag neue Strips von Schulz, Watterson, Kelly oder Breathed in der Zeitung lesen kann. Patrick McDonnell ist auch super (und noch aktiv), aber mit diesem Quartett kommt er noch nicht ganz mit...
Jan 31, 2011 Shanrox rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comic book lovers!!! 0_o
Recommended to Shanrox by: my brother
i don't usually read comic books. it was my brother actually that showed it to me so i read it and i thought it was hilarious. Basically, it was just different strips and cut-outs of Calvin and Hobbes' lives. this is me:
hmmm..........okay what's the point? ..........really!..........HAHAHAHA!!!........that is SO that is so mean!!!.....aww, it's finished already??? ^_^
hey, it's, one of my first comic books, okay? it wasn't my favorite, so sue me, but at least i gave it thr
Nov 10, 2014 verbava rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
багато сміятися корисно для здоров'я. кальвін і гобс – дивовижно смішні персонажі. ergo, кальвін і гобс корисні для здоров'я (для роботи трошки менше, але ж чи ми будемо жертвувати здоров'ям заради роботи?).
Jun 13, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ellie
Ellie read this book because she knows her father used to read and like Calvin and Hobbes. This is the first comic book she has read....krb 6/13/16
Sep 25, 2015 Gabriela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was an awesome book that was really good and I hope other people like it.
Sep 03, 2016 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the father of boys, this is a great book.
Jun 11, 2013 Shiloh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in one day. I loved it and laugh a bit. I ended up scaring my cat, when I did. It was a nice change to what I had been reading. It was light hearted and funny. I don't think anyone can have a problem with reading a bit of Calvin and Hobbes.

It was surprisingly inspiring and motivating for me.

I should make it a habit of reading at least one comic book type of book a month, to remember why I love to read in the first place. Comic books were my first love.

And you never forget your first
Oct 02, 2016 Zachary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Calvin and Hobbes is a comic about a little boy and his friend Hobbes who is a stuffed animal but to Calvin he is his best friend and a ferocious tiger. They discover their world and all lessons that r learned with growing up as a kid are in this story. The author puts little morals in the comic all the time to teach kids right from wrong. Calvin's mom and dad also have a big part in what he does as a kid as his dad's always making him go outside and play, and his mom always trying to get Calvin ...more
Angel Roman
Primeras impresiones

La portada se ve rara, a diferencia del primer volumen o de la edición de aniversario (que reseñamos por aquí), está parece haber sido hecha a prisas; aunque como dicen no es bueno juzgar a un libro por su portada.

Mi reseña

Después de la edición de aniversario, Océano se animó a traer la colección de Calvin y Hobbes en varios volúmenes. Este es el segundo y contiene varias tiras del famoso duo, algunas de ellas ya publicadas en la edición de aniversario.

Aunque en esta ocasión
Sep 22, 2014 Puja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I think comic books like Calvin & Hobbes should be included in the self-help category. After all they make us feel good about life and ourselves. Bill Watterson's work is brilliant - the humor and the portrayal of the characters and the overall philosophy. And the beautiful illustrations pull you into the delightful world of a little rascal and his imaginary companion and their adventures. These comic series are more for adults with the underlying messages on what's wrong with the world and ...more
Sean Chick
Feb 01, 2016 Sean Chick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recalled this as my least favorite of the Calvin and Hobbes books I grew up with and that estimate has not changed. That is not to say this is a bad book; there are plenty of classic panels here and you can see Watterson revving up for the long epic stories of later volumes. But he is not yet there. This is Calvin in the doldrums, and even then it is a blast.
Oct 31, 2015 FoxRox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, komiks
Výborné. Calvin a Hobbes sú vo forme, musím však priznať, že väčšinou som sa skôr pobavene usmievala než hlasno smiala. Štyri hviezdičky preto, lebo prvý diel sa vydaril o niečo viac. Inak absolútna spokojnosť a vrelo odporúčam. Najlepší príbeh - ako Calvin s Hobbesom našli malého medvedíka čistotného.
Isabel Caldeira
Feb 09, 2015 Isabel Caldeira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just an amazing book! Filled with sweet and funny storys that everyone will love. I want Hobbes as my friend as well!
Jun 21, 2014 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a comic book person. I've always strive to be one but end up failing miserably. The only comic book I have read cover to cover is a book called Coffee with Jesus which I reviewed not long ago. Shortly after I began reading that book of comics, I found a Calvin and Hobbes book at a thrift store. It looked like a brand new copy so I bought it for two dollars! What a steal! My intention when buying the book was to set it aside as a gift for my little cousin... but not before reading it myse ...more
Nov 13, 2014 Katelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Calvin and Hobbes is a very easy, but enjoyable book that brings humor to whom ever may read it. Personally, I love Calvin and Hobbes and this one happens to be my favorite. It’s consistently funny though out the whole book. Although I think it’s a good book I would not recommend it as something you read all the time. Since it’s very easy to read it can get a little boring after a while and doesn’t challenge you very much. This book is a nice book for just something quick and easy to pick up to ...more
Dottie J.
Feb 06, 2016 Dottie J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Watterson's illustrations show the hilarious nature of Calvin and Hobbes and Calvin's often-frustrated parents. Calvin's ability to speak an advanced language and see through the pettiness of elementary school requirements is enlightening and makes the books even more hilarious. Hobbes, his stuffed companion who is by nature a tiger, surprises the reader by doing "tiger" things, making Calvin not fully trust Hobbes's intentions. MUST READ AT ANY AGE! Look at Calvin's face on the cover -- it is l ...more
Scribble Orca
Oct 22, 2010 Scribble Orca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Scribble by: anyone who needs a laugh
Side-splittingly funny.
Jul 02, 2016 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been keeping this book on my kitchen table for months and just flipping a page or two at a time. It's not my favorite of the Calvin and Hobbes books, but it's a perfect size to use as a mouse pad. Yes, I'm still the person who likes to pretend from time to time that my mouse still requires one. A not favorite Calvin and Hobbes still deserves no less than five stars.

I've been thinking (uh oh)...
Susie is great.
Calvin is great.
Hobbes is great.
But you know what the GREAT CHERRY is on the top o
Mary Catelli
Nov 14, 2014 Mary Catelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, comic-strips
Calvin and Hobbes, collection 2. Starting with Calvin checking for monsters under the bed by talking about having put on ten pounds and become nice and plump. . .

It has a lot of strips about snowballs and sledding and other snow stuff, though Calvin's snowman attempts are merely large -- and Hobbes revolts at the notion of turning an enormous snowball into a mere toe for the eventual creature. Rosalyn is a known menace now. Hobbes has his adventures with the washing machine, the place where Calv
Erika Schoeps
May 20, 2014 Erika Schoeps rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This comics collection is a great group of the Calvin and Hobbes comics. I probably would have enjoyed it more, but I've read it so many times that I saw every punchline from a mile away. The humor is hit and miss, (Watterson resorts to some cliches and the 'aw shucks, isn't that cute?' brand of humor that grandmas seem to really enjoy) but Calvin and Hobbes always redeems itself with its themes of nostalgia and imagination. For me, simply watching Calvin and Hobbes go on adventures and being a ...more
Oct 23, 2015 Meera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who does not love Calvin and Hobbes? Most of us have grown up reading it in newspapers or in magazines. It is one of the best comic classic strips ever written. It appeals to children as well as adults. ‘Something under the bed is drooling’ series of comic strip collections is entertaining, adventurous and humours. The cartoons are creative and artistic and always bring a smile to your face.
  • Bury My Heart at Fun-Fun Mountain: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Hound of The Far Side
  • The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos: A Bloom County Book
  • Say Cheesy: A Get Fuzzy Collection
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more
More about Bill Watterson...

Calvin and Hobbes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • There's Treasure Everywhere: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • It's a Magical World: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection

“I'm not a vegetarian! I'm a dessertarian!” 165 likes
“Hobbes: What are you doing?
Calvin: Being "cool."
Hobbes: You look more like you're being bored.
Calvin: The world bores you when you're cool.
Hobbes: Look, I brought a sombrero! Now we can both be "cool."
Calvin: A sombrero?! Are you crazy?! Cool people don't wear sombreros!
Hobbes: What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?”