Start by marking “Starswarm (Jupiter)” as Want to Read:
Starswarm (Jupiter)

Starswarm (Jupiter #5)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  508 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews

Kit has never known any life but his existence at the protected laboratory compound known as Starswarm Station. And for all that time he has heard the Voice: an artificial intelligence chip implanted in his skull. It guides him and helps protect him from the planet's many dangers, including roaming bands of hostile centaurs and "haters." But the startling discovery of who
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published July 13th 2003 by Starscape (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Starswarm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starswarm

Victor Noda
Aug 08, 2014 Victor Noda rated it really liked it
Kip has a secret. A young boy who lives with his uncle at the Starswarm Station research outpost on planet Paradise, he has heard a voice in his head for as long as he can remember. The voice guides him in all his decisions, helping him through situations with useful information and helpful insight.One day, finally daring to ask the voice some tough questions, Kip discovers that his computer scientist parents implanted an artificial intelligence chip in his skull, which connects with a powerful ...more
D.L. Morrese
Aug 22, 2012 D.L. Morrese rated it liked it
Kip, the young heir of one of the planet-controlling corporations of a future humanity, has been in hiding on a planet the residents call Purgatory and unaware of his true identity most of his life. His parents, major stockholders of Great Western Enterprises, were killed in what amounts to a VERY hostile corporate takeover attempt over twelve years before. Not sure who was behind the attempt, his guardian, his parents’ former bodyguard, keeps him hidden until he becomes old enough to vote his s ...more
Suz
I'd never read a solo Pournelle, but I really enjoy his collaborations with Niven, so I thought I'd give a singleton a shot. I'm also really bad about not reading blurbs about a book first, so I didn't know what to expect going in.

This book was heavily geared towards kids/young adults. What I really liked about this book is that it wasn't some kid that's all misunderstood, and the SPECIALIST KID EVAH! that so many other kid's books are (I'm looking at you, Card). Because this doesn't speak as st
Wayne Palmer
Dec 06, 2012 Wayne Palmer rated it liked it
I mostly enjoyed this book given its viewpoint is that of a young person and his involvement in an alien world and the corporations that control it. I also liked his relationship with his “voice in his head”. The various components of the story, while set in an alien world that humans have taken control over, did not did not come as much of a surprise. This was either because the revelations were telegraphed well in advance, or the story’s lack of depth did not allow the tension to build nor any ...more
Cathleen Ash
Kip has always known he has a voice in his head, and finally realized others don't hear their own voice. He calls his voice Gwen and she has always been with him, ever since he can remember. As he grows up on Paradise, an interstellar colony, in a small research village where the scientists focus on studying the starswarm and staying away from the centaur-like creatures and other dangerous local wildlife, Kip is often left to his own devices.
As the colony settles and more of the researchers and
Dino Mascolo
I see Dr. Jerry Pournelle whenever I attend a meeting of the Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society. So I decided I would finally read one of his books. Most agree that he is one of the greatest SF writers of all time still living. It's a great story and a very entertaining read! The writing is not so good, maybe because it's meant for teens.
Matthew
Not a bad book, but definately a bit juvenile and target towards early readers.
Summary:
Plucky kids (one with a secret past and hidden parentage) fight against evil corporation and communicate with space squid.
It has decent characters, and although the plot takes a while to get going and is really rushed at the end, it's still an enjoyable read.
Maja Jeppesen
Oct 11, 2013 Maja Jeppesen rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Scifi has always been a huge part of my childhood, my dad being an engineer, so bedtime stories were often massive novels rather then the 'Three Little Pigs'. Starswam follows the life of a Kip and the voice in his head Gwen, and no, Gwen is not a figment of his imagination. I've always loved the idea of Kip's world, as he grows up on an unknown planet surrounded by strange creatures, genetical engineered dogs that was smart (well, smarter then average dogs), and his uncle. It's hard to say what ...more
Mark Watson
Sep 16, 2014 Mark Watson rated it really liked it
Very interesting book. It contains fascinating ideas, moves along quickly, and is almost entirely devoid of foul language. The only problem is the story ended too soon!
Ivan
Nov 16, 2007 Ivan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans and young adults
Very good science fiction with interesting alien creatures, and kids, and political intrigue, and commentary on society, and artificial intelligences... I had a lot of fun reading this book, and it gave me a thing or two to think about as well! Nice visual descriptions, action scenes etc - I bet someone could make a great movie out of it.
Dodie Reed
Jan 11, 2012 Dodie Reed rated it it was amazing
This is a book written for the younger readers, but enjoyable for all. On a far planet a young boy is living with his "uncle". Unknown to him, he is the heir to a sizable fortune and a major company that owns the planet. He is living on a research station and has a secret. He hears a voice in his head that helps him in all the ways of his life. As he ages he learns more and more about his life and parents he never knew and about the planet he lives on.
Jillian Cori lippert
Jan 30, 2014 Jillian Cori lippert rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and even looked to see if there was a sequel. For some reason, this is the first book I've ever read by Jerry Pournelle. I'll be checking out the rest now. Another author to add to "my" list of authors.

The book is probably considered YA, since the protagonist is a kid. In my view, it's just a good, solid SF story that was very entertaining, regardless of the age of the characters.
Jen
Nov 05, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it

Very good book. I think it may be a little adult for ten year olds, as the back of the book suggests. The ending was also rather abrupt, so this is getting four and not five stars. I would have liked more of a wrap up then was given. All in all, a very adventurous read. The main aliens were well developed. It would have been cool if the other aliens had also been explained a little more.
Jeff Daly
Nov 16, 2013 Jeff Daly rated it really liked it
I listened to the audiobook version, read by Lloyd James.

I absolutely loved this book. I'm going to have my sons (8 & 10) read it as it's totally appropriate IMHO, and a great deal of fun. I especially loved the detailed explanations of technology in the book.

started: 2010-08-31.Aug.Tue 08:41:44
finished: 2010-09-01.Sep.Wed 11:25:32

duration: 10h:00m:28s
Waterfall
Sep 07, 2009 Waterfall rated it really liked it
A fun read that doesn't talk down to its audience and manages to fluidly insert comments about science, politics and the environment while moving the plot along. I spotted the relevant plot twists a mile away, but someone who is ten years old probably won't. Recommended!
cat
Nov 14, 2008 cat rated it it was amazing
I occasionally like to get my scifi on, and I discovered Jerry Pournelle only recently from his guest appearances on the podcast This Week in Tech with Leo Laporte. I loved this story and look forward to reading some more Pournelle.
Vincent Racaniello
Jul 20, 2009 Vincent Racaniello rated it liked it
I heard Jerry Pournelle on TWiT last year, and bought his book for my 14 yr old son. He read it for school and did a book report on it. I picked it up and I love it, even though it's for 'adolescents'. I like the premise.
Nate
May 09, 2011 Nate rated it really liked it
Fun, light YA fiction. Good for a short escapist read for a trip or something. Starswarm is one I'll add to my kids' reading list about the same time they tackle A Wrinkle in Time.
Chris Friend
Jan 12, 2008 Chris Friend rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those interested in sci-fi, especially teens
Recommended to Chris by: My grandmother
A fantastically approachable sci-fi story. I didn't expect much from it, but I was taken aback by how well the ideas came across and how natural the process of discovery was.
Neil
Feb 10, 2013 Neil rated it really liked it
Been wanting to try a Jerry Pournelle book. He is on twit all the time. He used to be a science adviser to the President. Pretty good will read more.
Darren
Aug 16, 2013 Darren rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story! Reminded me of reading Heinlein's better juveniles, or a good classic adventure story. Highly recommended.
James
Jul 01, 2009 James rated it really liked it
Liked it, a fun read. A book you can seat back with and enjoy the story. A good book for younger readers.
Angel
Dec 05, 2011 Angel rated it it was amazing
Starswarm is a thrilling book of adventure and a little mystery, that makes you never want to put it down.
Aaron
Mar 26, 2013 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Pretty interesting read, but the ending seemed forced. It was four stars until the last 20 pages.
Michele
Feb 17, 2010 Michele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, read-2010
Excellent SF, couldn't put down; abrupt ending; YA friendly.
JacobT
Dec 06, 2007 JacobT rated it liked it
It was okay, a somewhat failed attempt at mixing Fantasy with Sci-Fi
Edelhart Kempeneers
Dec 25, 2012 Edelhart Kempeneers rated it liked it
Niet in mijn hall of fame, maar best een genietbaar sci-fi verhaal.
Dusty The2ofHarts-com
Jul 19, 2009 Dusty The2ofHarts-com rated it it was ok
OK, have to read it again to remember it.
George
Feb 25, 2008 George rated it it was amazing
Jerry's contribution to the Singularity
Christopher Murphy
Dec 02, 2010 Christopher Murphy rated it it was amazing
Best on audio; great for the young.
Class of 2014: Starswarm 1 2 Oct 14, 2013 10:53AM
  • The Cyborg From Earth
  • Hopscotch
  • The Green Book
  • Year's Best SF 7
  • Drifter's Run (Drifter, #2)
  • Thor's Hammer (The Future at War Series Volume 1)
  • The Death of Sleep (Planet Pirates, #2)
  • The Big Black Mark (John Grimes, #7)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 08
  • The Far Side of Evil
  • Down the Bright Way
  • The French Mathematician
  • Ghosts (Hex, #3)
  • Partners In Necessity (Liaden Universe, #8-10)
  • Lightwing
  • The Best of All Possible Wars
  • Top Secret
Dr Jerry Eugene Pournelle is an American science fiction writer, engineer, essayist, and journalist, who contributed for many years to the computer magazine Byte, and has since 1998 been maintaining his own website and blog.

From the beginning, Pournelle's work has centred around strong military themes. Several books describe the fictional mercenary infantry force known as Falkenberg's Legion. Ther
More about Jerry Pournelle...

Jupiter (4 books)