Start by marking “Going to the Sun” as Want to Read:
Going to the Sun

Going to the Sun

Seven years ago, Penny's boyfriend was savagely attacked by a bear, setting off a chain of tragic events. Now, fighting a debilitating illness and haunted by her past, she finds herself incapable of emotional or sexual intimacy. As a way to break down the defenses she has built up in her safe Chicago life, she sets out on a cross-country bike tour. On this trip she meets N ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Picador (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Going to the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going to the Sun

PJ
Apr 15, 2010 PJ rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago when it first came out and absolutely loved it. The story has as many twists and turns as her cross-country bike ride to find herself and the ending will leave you breathless. I'm so happy to have rediscovered it here on Goodreads and am excited to read it again.
Micmacmilcomcast.net
A young single diabetic woman rides her bike from Chicago to Alaska partially to try and conquer her diabetous but also to put closure on a horrible incident that happened years before in Alaska. The moral of the story I think you can all agree on is "Life is a challenge! Keep going!"
Jeff
May 02, 2015 Jeff rated it really liked it
This is the book that comes to mind with all this talk about bear attacks.
Tammy
Apr 18, 2013 Tammy rated it liked it
I'm not sure if I was influenced by others comments regarding a male author writing from a woman's perspective, or if I formed my own opinions about that aspect of the book. I guess it was kind of weird- there was one statement about abusive fathers that was especially horrible- but otherwise I may not have noticed anything if I hadn't known. It was constantly in the back of my mind and therefore somewhat of a distraction, though. Even the person on the cover of the book appears to be a man! I l ...more
Brigid
Aug 10, 2012 Brigid rated it it was amazing
I aspire to write with as detailed observations as McManus's. The small things you wouldn't know unless you were diabetic, the size and location of both bodily and emotional aches, the overlooked things at the side of the road. The effect is that the first couple of chapters are absolutely harrowing, and the rest of the book seems to unfold effortlessly.
Mike
Feb 07, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing
So I picked this up because I know the author's brother and went to law school with his sister-in-law. I also liked his Positively 5th Street about the World Series of Poker. I didn't expect to like this novel about a late twenty something diabetic Phd candidate who can't finish her dissertation and decides to bike from Chicago to Alaska, but I did, a lot.
Carrie
Sep 18, 2012 Carrie rated it liked it
An early mid-life crisis send a doctoral student on a mission to come to accept herself. Consumed by thoughts of her boyfriend's gruesome death, and her own incurable disease, she travels by bike from Chicago to Alaska hoping to find an answer.
Mo
Oct 06, 2011 Mo rated it it was ok
A travelogue about a woman on a cross country bicycle journey. Grizzly bear death, steamy sex with a basketball player... written by a man with really no sense of female experience. He should have written it with a male voice.
Barry Bridges
May 24, 2014 Barry Bridges rated it really liked it
What better way to work through your issues, emotional and physical, than to take off on a cross-country bike tour. A well-told story with twists, turns, and road side sights to keep the reader interested.
Mara
Oct 12, 2013 Mara rated it liked it
Shelves: heartstrings
This was a good, intense read. Seemed a little contrived at times, but an interesting story, nonetheless.
Debs
Feb 04, 2010 Debs rated it liked it
Shelves: 2006
College graduate diabetic tries to ride her bike to Alaska to come to terms with her past. This book made me afraid of bears.
Genya
Jan 14, 2011 Genya rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
This book has everything from Beckett and bicycles, to dead boyfriends, epic journeys and grizzlies -- I read it straight through.
Helene Slowik
Feb 01, 2015 Helene Slowik rated it did not like it
Shelves: oprf-book-club
definitely not written by a woman - even though the main character is a woman. The thoughts and decisions aren't realistic/believable. Whole idea is just not credible.
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
May 10, 2014
Bergaas
Bergaas rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Zoe
Zoe rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2008
Marni
Marni rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2008
Jessie
Jessie rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
David Wachtel
David Wachtel rated it did not like it
Mar 03, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Camille Tesch
Camille Tesch rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2014
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2012
Pamela
Pamela rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Jonah
Jonah rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2013
Conor Robin Madigan
Conor Robin Madigan rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2007
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2008
Kailey
Kailey rated it liked it
May 30, 2015
Shirlene
Shirlene rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2010
  • Long Time No See
  • Raising Confident Girls: 100 Tips For Parents And Teachers
  • I'll Take It
  • Sometimes I Dream in Italian
  • Summer in Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #3)
  • The Ordinary Truth
  • Nowhere Else on Earth
  • Foolscap: Or, the Stages of Love
  • Dog Training For Dummies
James "Jim" McManus is an American poker player, teacher and writer living in Kenilworth, Illinois.
More about James McManus...