Start by marking “Physical: An American Checkup” as Want to Read:

Physical: An American Checkup

2.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Includes a New Afterword

A New York Times Book Review Editors' Choice

When hard-living, middle-aged American writer James McManus gets a three-day executive checkup at the Mayo Clinic, he is immediately forced to confront his mortality. Will he survive his own cardiovascular system and genetic inheritance long enough to see his young daughters grow up? With great candor an
Published December 12th 2006 by Picador (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Physical, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Physical

Marcia
Feb 01, 2009 Marcia rated it liked it
Shelves: grown-up-books
I'm listening to this on audio. I really needed a car book and it was the first I grabbed. Interesting bits about the Mayo clinic, less interesting political rants.
AmberBug *shelfnotes.com*
Shelf Notes Review

Dear Reader,

This was an audiobook, I feel that fact is important when reviewing because the format of print vs. audiobook can make quite the difference. The Author is a famous poker player who got his fame in the literary world with his informative poker book, "Positively Fifth Street: Murders, Cheetahs and Binion's World Series of Poker". I haven't read that book nor have I heard of James McManus before "Physical". I'm the type of gal that likes to participate not watch when s
Bookmarks Magazine

McManus, journalist, novelist, and the author of the wildly popular Positively Fifth Street (2003), a compelling tale of big-stakes gambling at the 2000 World Series of Poker, follows that book with an account of his own mortality. The author's irreverent sense of humor is his strength. The highly readable story, however, suffers a fate similar to that of many magazine articles-cum-books__namely, the short piece's inability to shoulder the weight of further examination and the addition of larger

Virginia
Oct 17, 2010 Virginia rated it it was ok
My original review for this was "Interesting. Light reading." for which I got blasted at the site where I posted stuff before - the commenter was furious that I would call this light reading when there was a description of an injured child in the book. Really? The writing was not deep and complex, and it was about medical issues, which naturally include injured people. What I meant was, you could probably read this while watching tv, or listening to music, or talking with someone else. There is ...more
Deborah
I almost gave this book a 2 star review. The author comes across as arrogant and not very likable at times.
Jill
Aug 15, 2007 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: democrats who'd like socialized healthcare.
Shelves: kick-ass-covers
This was interesting at first, but I found it dragging and repetitious as it progressed. Basically, McManus does the "executive physical" at the Mayo Clinic--which encompasses all of those scans and such--it was hugely expensive: $8,000

It's neat, in that you get to see the ins and outs of Mayo--but I encountered some mildly monotonous rants about healthcare that I'm sure Michael Moore could have spiced up a bit, if given the chance.

All in all--great cover, good start, petered out in the end.
Neil Crocker
Jan 31, 2016 Neil Crocker rated it it was ok
Kind of a strange book. McManus goes for an executive checkup at the Mayo Clinic at his employer's expense and finds out he should eat better and quit smoking. Then for the rest of the book he tells us a lot about his health, his family and his hatred of the Bush administration particularly for the stem cell research policy. I liked the book's tone and pace, and learned a lot, but it really felt like 2 magazine articles spliced together, which is basically what it is.
Josh Fischel
Jan 27, 2008 Josh Fischel rated it it was ok
Physical was disappointing in the way that Bush's reaction post-9/11 was disappointing. McManus, poker obsessed, had the opportunity to write about the Mayo Clinic and its 'executive physical' - thousands of dollars to run every test ever on you - but he managed to make it dull and overwrought, ranging tangentially to stem cell research and his daughter's diabetes. He stared into the unblinking eye of the physical and, like the rest of us, turned squeamish.
Risa
Nov 15, 2009 Risa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The patently obvious agenda of this book (against G.W.Bush, for stem cell research) made it a bit irritating at times -- but it happens to be an agenda with which I generally agree, which mitigated my annoyance somewhat.
Katherine
Dec 29, 2009 Katherine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
UGH, his written voice was unbearable. could not read it any more.
Alan
Jan 20, 2008 Alan rated it liked it
Maybe more than I wanted to know about clinic time.
JP
JP added it
Apr 09, 2016
Janis
Janis added it
Feb 12, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Wellington
Wellington rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2016
Ann
Ann added it
Dec 30, 2015
Swbehl
Swbehl marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Taryn
Taryn rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2015
Tom Green
Tom Green rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Kyle Porter
Kyle Porter marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Jamie
Jamie added it
Apr 19, 2015
Mike
Mike added it
Mar 19, 2015
John Burkowski
John Burkowski rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Torrie Wiebe
Torrie Wiebe marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2014
David Jordan
David Jordan rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
James "Jim" McManus is an American poker player, teacher and writer living in Kenilworth, Illinois.
More about James McManus...